PDA

View Full Version : DEI and Ginn Officially Merge

RaikkonenRules
25th July 2007, 11:11
The #01 car will join te #1, #8 and #15 in DEI motorsport. The #14's owner points will go to the #15 while the #13's will go to the #78 putting both those teams in the field.

So what will happen to Mark Martin, Regan Smith and Aric Almirola?

LINCE
25th July 2007, 14:05
I think that was a great move by DEI they will get Mark Martin, so that will cover some of JR big aura on the team, they will get Menard in the races and should be in the top 35 by the end of the year for sure they will expand to four cars so they prove that they weren't dead after JR left but they will be stronger and I might think they did this with at least half the cost of keeping JR so that sounds pretty smart for me.

As for you question Martin will have the 01 car and he will share it with Almirola maybe smith will get the number 8 next year but I was expecting Kyle Busch to be there, the other options is place them in Busch DEI program

dwboogityfan
25th July 2007, 17:21
My overwhelming thought on this is anger. All because of one man Bobby Ginn - who seemingly is a compulsive liar. Firstly he told Sterling Marlin he had a drive until he retires and I know driving the #14 used by Coo Coo made Sterling so proud. He lied. Then he told Regan Smith he was going to be in a car for the rest of this season and then in 2008. He lied. Bobby Ginn is a disgrace and if I was DEI I wouldn't want anything to do with him or his team.
Unlike Sterling, Joe and Regan who have all acted with class in this sorry affair, Ginn has no class. His refusal to even talk to Sterling about a settlement on their contract says it all. I hope DEI has no involvement from him or his dirty money. They are a better team than that.

ms0362
25th July 2007, 18:42
So... does this mean that Jr gets to test out Hendrick motors early since Ginn has a motor lease program with them? DWB - sorry about Sterling getting the shaft, but was he getting the finishes needed to get a sponsor? Multi-million dollar business can get ugly.

MD24
25th July 2007, 20:04
http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/07/25/dei.ginn.merger/story_single.html#page2

BenRoethig
25th July 2007, 21:39
I don't think Ginn lied so much as reality caught up to him. He was running the 13&14 cars as well as the #4 Busch program practically out of pocket. Cup is the second most expensive form of motorports outside of F1.

muggle not
25th July 2007, 21:53
I don't think Ginn lied so much as reality caught up to him. He was running the 13&14 cars as well as the #4 Busch program practically out of pocket. Cup is the second most expensive form of motorports outside of F1.
You are very correct. The money doesn't just grow on trees. I am sure there is nothing that Ginn would like better than to keep his organization wholly owned by him with sponsors onboard so he could run 4 full teams. It isn't as if he wanted to get rid of Marlin, Joe N, or even Regan.

jeffmr2
25th July 2007, 22:38
Excuse my ignorance can anyone tell me out of curiosity rougly what the budgets would be approx for different race series such as F1,nextel cup,busch,crafstman truck,IRL,Champcars,World Rally,Moto GP etc etc.

Jonesi
25th July 2007, 22:47
Excuse my ignorance can anyone tell me out of curiosity rougly what the budgets would be approx for different race series such as F1,nextel cup,busch,crafstman truck,IRL,Champcars,World Rally,Moto GP etc etc.

Short answer 'No'! Nobody knows for sure the budgets for all those series. ;-) Best guess:
F1 - $400mil down to maybe $75mil. (this is per two car team, other series per car)
Cup - $+20mil down to maybe $5mil
Busch - $5-3mil
Truck - $4-2mil
IRL - $5-2mil
CC - $5-2mil
WRC, MGP???

muggle not
25th July 2007, 23:58
Short answer 'No'! Nobody knows for sure the budgets for all those series. ;-) Best guess:
F1 - $400mil down to maybe $75mil. (this is per two car team, other series per car)
Cup - $+20mil down to maybe $5mil
Busch - $5-3mil
Truck - $4-2mil
IRL - $5-2mil
CC - $5-2mil
WRC, MGP???
You are probably low on the Cup and Busch teams.
Maybe 3 years ago you could possibly do Busch for $4 or $5 million but it has gone up since then.
Cup probably starts nowadays in the $18 to $20 million range.

Jonesi
26th July 2007, 01:10
You are probably low on the Cup and Busch teams.
Maybe 3 years ago you could possibly do Busch for $4 or $5 million but it has gone up since then.

Probably, while that $18-20mil figure gets quoted on TV a lot, I suspect after the top 15-20 teams, it drops a bit down to around $12-15mil for mid to back field $10&under. I also think Robby Gordon is probably closer to $5mil than 10, as well as once top team of Morgan-McClure.
Also we have the issue of 'Major Sponsor' doesn't equal 'budget', although maybe an owner is willing to spend all of a $20mil sponsorship on running the team, if he knows he can pocket another $3mil for assoc sponsor, $5mil T-shirts, $3mil prize money.

blakebeatty
26th July 2007, 16:04
I remember reading that Lowe's was the top dollar at around 22 million per year, followed by DuPont, Home Depot, and Budweiser in that order. When we were at WMR in may, the guy we were talking to said that UPS and Dominos/BurgerKing pays MWR like a lower tier team, but he did not mention the dollar figure.

Sparky1329
26th July 2007, 21:23
I remember reading that Lowe's was the top dollar at around 22 million per year, followed by DuPont, Home Depot, and Budweiser in that order. When we were at WMR in may, the guy we were talking to said that UPS and Dominos/BurgerKing pays MWR like a lower tier team, but he did not mention the dollar figure.

I bet UPS just loves seeing the FedEx car kicking butt and taking names at the track while they're heading back to NC every week.

call_me_andrew
26th July 2007, 22:21

Well maybe if you've got a situation like that 09 car where you only run a few races a year, then you can get away with only a $5 million budget.

Mark in Oshawa
27th July 2007, 22:33
Ginn talks a good game, and people who have invested with him in his Hotel properties know he talks a good game, but the hotels are slow in the making. I suspect that same approach to running a race team wasn't working. Damn shame though to see Marlin out of a ride along with Front Row Joe. Both are excellent guys who wont likely see quality rides again. DEI is getting......not sure what they get out of this, but I don't see it as a bad idea if there is something besides a ton of parts and Mark Martin for a part time schedule this year. Martin will help stablize things at DEI, for many have said he made a huge difference at Ginn. I just find it annoying he put the car up front week after week and yet Ginn cant keep sponsors or afford to keep going. They had the momentum....

Jonesi
27th July 2007, 23:16
Ginn talks a good game, and people who have invested with him in his Hotel properties know he talks a good game, but the hotels are slow in the making. I suspect that same approach to running a race team wasn't working. Damn shame though to see Marlin out of a ride along with Front Row Joe. Both are excellent guys who wont likely see quality rides again. DEI is getting......not sure what they get out of this, but I don't see it as a bad idea if there is something besides a ton of parts and Mark Martin for a part time schedule this year. Martin will help stablize things at DEI, for many have said he made a huge difference at Ginn. I just find it annoying he put the car up front week after week and yet Ginn cant keep sponsors or afford to keep going. They had the momentum....

If your talking about Mark's 01 in the part I've bolded, Ginn had US Army signed on the car through 2008. I think that's reasonable considering he was selling a mixed program of a proven (but aging) driver and rookie.

muggle not
27th July 2007, 23:22
If your talking about Mark's 01 in the part I've bolded, Ginn had US Army signed on the car through 2008. I think that's reasonable considering he was selling a mixed program of a proven (but aging) driver and rookie.
Sponsorship by any branch of the armed service is limited to one year sponsorships. At the end of the year they can then renew a sponsorship if they desire.

Alexamateo
28th July 2007, 00:20
....... DEI is getting......not sure what they get out of this, but I don't see it as a bad idea if there is something besides a ton of parts and Mark Martin for a part time schedule this year. .

DEI gets a shaker rig, shop space and a 4 car team. I also hear that Siegal is really happy to get Aric Arimola, who he wanted to do something with back before Reggie White passed away.