PDA

View Full Version : How much truth do points tell about team-mate battles?

jens
24th July 2007, 21:52
In comparing team-mates, there have often been two kind of arguments. One of them is points-wise, another one performance-wise. One tend to say that "A has outscored B, when they were team-mates - it means A is/was a better driver." Another may say that B had a lot of unluck and more retirements, but his performances show that he is/was a better driver. For example, what I have noticed, discussions in comparing Prost and Senna, Trulli and R. Schumacher and etc. drivers have been just like that.

Where is the truth? Does a bigger point score show that the winner is better? And how much more unluck must "B" have to nominate him as a better driver? What statistical parameter must we take into account to tell, which one of the drivers is better?

One of the reasons, why I decided to make such thread, is that Wurz has 13 and Rosberg 5 points. I guess that at the moment most people believe that Rosberg is better, but as time goes by, races itself will be forgotten and statistical results will get more notice - for example does at the present moment anyone seriously suggest that in the 1970s someone, who finished 3rd or lower in the WDC, deserved the title most? I think in the future one might say that Wurz was an ultra-fantastic driver having beaten world champion (just an assumption) Rosberg. Or if Nico happens to have a bad time, then counterargument: "He got beaten by a journey-man Wurz - that says it all!"

Hamilton 70 - Alonso 68: Do you think that this scorecard shows that Lewis has been marginally better than Fernando so far this season?
Massa 59 - Räikkönen 52: Do you believe this comparison shows that the Brazilian has been a bit better this season until now?
Etc.

Express your thoughts.

Nikki Katz
24th July 2007, 22:34
Obviously any series will have luck (or lack of) affecting comparison with teammates using points. But the way that F1 is scored means that it's a more meaningful comparison to the top teams than the backmarkers, or even the midfield runners. There's currently only 8 points positions per race, with a clear top 3 teams and Renault starting to pull away for 4th. This means that drivers in any of the other 7 teams will usually only score points on lucky days (though it has to be said that the top 8 has only consisted of those 8 cars on one occasion so far this season).
Williams is the obvious example, as until recently Rosberg was the clear team leader, either finishing just outside the points or breaking down while in the points. Though Wurz through luck (and sensible driving) has now got quite a large lead on him in the championship.
I think that the gaps between the Ferraris and the McLarens are realistic. It's close between them in each team, with each driver getting his day at some point. The same goes for BMW and Renault.
However, I don't think that fluke podiums are going to advance drivers further up the grid. Wurz hasn't even secured his position at Williams next year (they're supposed to be considering Glock, though it has to be said that Wurz has improved in the past couple of races), so I doubt he'll be getting any better offers over Rosberg.

Ian McC
24th July 2007, 22:52
Comparing team mates is really the only way, until you get drivers in the same type of car you will never really know. But there are other factors, Alonso should be a much better driver than Hamilton, he is a double world champion and has several years of F1 under his belt. Yet at the moment Hamilton leads the WDC table, so does this mean Hamilton is better? Well that argument is going to run, certainly on here :D

In the end it is points that will matter, most will only remember who won the championship and only the die hard fans will argue after the dust has settled.

Valve Bounce
25th July 2007, 00:08
Kimi seems to have more than his share of bad luck. As a driver, I would compare him favourably with Massa, Alonso and Lewis Hamilton also. I guess this would highlight this argument as much as those of other drivers.
One could argue that ant would have come 3rd or 4th in Canada had he not hit that groundhog.
Then Mark Webber has had his share of breakdowns when in very good positions - at Williams it was endemic.
So the points, sometimes, don't tell the real story.
That's F1!!