PDA

View Full Version : BRSCC response

Chigley
24th July 2007, 12:03
Folks,

BRSCC are monitoring this forum and are aware of the feelings and sentiments regarding the weekend. However they cannot and will not comment on a public forum but I have been asked to pass on a message that Bernie Cottrall (BRSCC Chairman) will welcome the chance to explain the position if you correspond with him by email bernard@brscc.co.uk. Please keep it civil and have a open discussion.

Disclaimer. I am not an official of The BRSCC but will act as intermediary when required, any views I express are entirely my own and have no links with any organisation or official view.

Regards to all.
Ian

Forum Buddy
24th July 2007, 12:39
Thanks for the email address.

Good work as always.

EarWig
24th July 2007, 13:02
Thanks for your help Ian and quite correct, we should not expect them to post on an open forum.

Regards
Ray

acorn
24th July 2007, 17:51
Folks,

However they cannot and will not comment on a public forum but I have been asked to pass on a message that Bernie Cottrall (BRSCC Chairman) will welcome the chance to explain the position if you correspond with him by email bernard@brscc.co.uk. Please keep it civil and have a open discussion.

Regards to all.
Ian

unfortunately, i still haven't been able to attend any meetings even though i make all the preparations just in case but what i'm reading is NOT helping me to risk the journey.
as so many fans and teams seem to be more than a shade miffed at what occurred over the weekend i'm surprised that bernard doesn't issue a statement which could go some way to answering questions AND THEN take individual follow up questions. at least that way he can cut down on the number of 2 way communications with the same questions/ concerns and replies being exchanged. he could then do a follow up statement summarising the exchanges.
to not have an open exchange (or make a statement) on this forum(or in the media) only goes to reinforce the view that these clubs are just that and stuck in the dark ages. if you're not part of it you don't get a say even as a paying spectator who helps to keep the club's(and it's members') costs down. the spectator seems to be treated as a bonus rather than someone who should be an integral part of an event.

racing59
24th July 2007, 20:13
the spectator seems to be treated as a bonus rather than someone who should be an integral part of an event.

The word you were looking for there is a "hindrance" not bonus.

Having spectators at a normal club meeting requires marshaling/security to "handle them", since the club normally receives no revenue from those paying punters, that's how they have to view them in the cold reality of a commercial world. Spectators COST money to handle/feed/clean up after....

With over 24hrs now to reflect on the matter, it drives home what I have said for a long time. The way that motorsport is run in the UK is in general totally wrong. Only Castle Combe has it right - running their own meetings, and the competitors reap the benefits of well organised meetings with rebates to their entry fees, and I'm sure that with enough people through the gate, Steve and Howard would be more than pleased to PAY the competitors for putting on a good show for their loyal spectators and fans.

Rockingham did have their heart in the right place once, but threw money in the wrong places, at the teams, at superstar drivers, rather than at the mass media to encourage Mr Joseph Public and his family to visit, instead of watching Abingdon under-12's, or sitting at home watching 600 channels of Sky with nothing on!

Alfie knows how people love a day a the races (of the 4-legged variety), and much of that is achieved by good media attention in the daily papers.

Please listen. Please change. We can help you, we have the product - you have the "shop", let's sell it together.

Rob.

Abo
24th July 2007, 20:20
The way that motorsport is run in the UK is in general totally wrong. Only Castle Combe has it right - running their own meetings, and the competitors reap the benefits of well organised meetings

I say let Incarace have a shot at running the show for a year. Like I said elsewhere, Ovalfest last year was a decent draw; let's have a mini version oft hat every month with a big Motorfest finale in September/October...

racing59
24th July 2007, 20:25
That means stepping outside of the MSA/FIA umbrella and then no chance of going to Lausitz.

deadsquirrel
24th July 2007, 20:31
I say let Incarace have a shot at running the show for a year. Like I said elsewhere, Ovalfest last year was a decent draw; let's have a mini version oft hat every month with a big Motorfest finale in September/October...

No, No, NO!

cameronian
24th July 2007, 20:40
Point taken, racing59, but I agree with Abo. We're talking about survival here.
BRSCC is not working in the best interests of SCSA/PUT and an alliance with short oval guys thru Incarace could be the answer. There are lots of short oval tracks in the RMS catchment area whose fans are already committed to our style of racing.
I'm sure some of these tracks would love a return visit for PUT racing even if not for SCSA.
I'm not saying it will work, all I'm saying is check it out.
As for Lausitz I feel that dream is dead. They never produced a team even in the good old days and the cost to teams visiting there would be prohibitive.

Vipros500
24th July 2007, 20:45
That means stepping outside of the MSA.

We have done it before.. well, for the Stock Cars at least anyway..

Abo
24th July 2007, 20:47
No, No, NO!

Why not?

racing59
24th July 2007, 21:13
Lausitz is not dead. Far from it in fact.

If they wanted us there, and without a silly entry fee, it would cost us no more to go there and run than it will to stay here and pay a silly entry fee.

In fact there's no reason why there couldn't be two meetings back to back in Germany, with us leaving the cars & kit out there between them - thus slashing the costs.

I would be extremely happy to do two or three rounds here, and two rounds over there, plus another Ovalfest/Motorfest. That would make a good championship.

The White Lady
24th July 2007, 21:19
Lausitz is not dead. Far from it in fact.

If they wanted us there, and without a silly entry fee, it would cost us no more to go there and run than it will to stay here and pay a silly entry fee.

In fact there's no reason why there couldn't be two meetings back to back in Germany, with us leaving the cars & kit out there between them - thus slashing the costs.

I would be extremely happy to do two or three rounds here, and two rounds over there, plus another Ovalfest/Motorfest. That would make a good championship.

Sadly that would make it difficult for some of your die hard fans here to follow the whole series. Part of the draw for us is that it is mainly a Rockingham based championship which makes it accessible for us.(aside from the noise, the smell, the atmosphere etc.. :) )

racing59
24th July 2007, 21:23

I think that the only place I would be tempted to go, outside of the MSA, for a "demonstration" would be Warneton.

Duane
24th July 2007, 21:27
I Too have been asked to pass on a message for calm.

the sending of emails has to be done with a levelhead please, a lady who is in charge of the cateram's has a recieved a very hostile letter and has left her very upset, this of course is unacceptable and does not promote our cause at all, im told the person in question who sent the email is known to the BRSCC and is from the grandstands, not the teams, and will be contacted.

more to come later about the V8's but right now im too busy mopping up......

Duane

Reynard
24th July 2007, 22:08
A lady who is in charge of the cateram's has a recieved a very hostile letter and has left her very upset, this of course is unacceptable and does not promote our cause at all, im told the person in question who sent the email is known to the BRSCC and is from the grandstands, not the teams, and will be contacted.

That is truly unfortunate Duane.

I just hope that the folks recieving the letters and emails of complaint don't tar us all with the same brush. In the whole, most of us who have lodged complaints have done so in a civilised manner. Everyone is entitled to complain, but there is a line beyond which one should not venture.

racing59
24th July 2007, 23:26
Well said Witty.

While I felt, like many others, bitter as hell yesterday, but I would draw the line at bitter and twisted abusive emails or letters of that sort.

Complaints, if lodged, have to be logical, rational, and clear. Not rants, threats, or abusive.

Rob.

Chigley
24th July 2007, 23:32
No, No, NO!

I totally agree Simon. NO, NO, NO.

Reasons, and correct me (politely) if I'm wrong.

Run outside of the MSA jurisdiction and we loss a thorough chain of support, appeal and jurisdiction. You could not operate with any MSA licensed official, or marshal, we are not insured and I for one am not putting my life on the line without damn good insurance and support behind me. Incarace could not hold a candle against the protection and support I get from being a MSA registered marshal.

You will automatically lose the PuT as they are a BARC championship and Sonny is astute enough not to lose that connection especially with the circuits that the PuT have access to by virtue of being a BARC club.

The V8's will flounder, wilt and die without the PuT, they are not strong enough at the moment to go it alone.

Sorry but IMHO it is a no brainer to even consider the idea.

I know the BRSCC people who are running the SCSA championship, talk to them, they listen and take note. Do you remember the debacle of the first meeting last year, virtually every marshal was going to walk and abandon oval racing, a lot did, however the BRSCC listened to our dialogue and changed things quickly to improve matters.

Before anyone thinks of me as a BRSCC stool pigeon let me inform you that I am not a BRSCC member and in general avoid their meetings for personal reasons, but I am ardently enthusiastic of PuT, SCSA V8 oval racing and Rockingham and will do everything that I can to help them flourish.

I have a position where I can communicate with both sides without bias, allegiance or conflict of interest and will assist anyone in overcoming this "glitch".

Ian

Chigley
24th July 2007, 23:34

May I ask when and where? :confused:

The Pits!
25th July 2007, 08:52
Before anyone thinks of me as a BRSCC stool pigeon let me inform you that I am not a BRSCC member and in general avoid their meetings for personal reasons, but I am ardently enthusiastic of PuT, SCSA V8 oval racing and Rockingham and will do everything that I can to help them flourish.

I have a position where I can communicate with both sides without bias, allegiance or conflict of interest and will assist anyone in overcoming this "glitch". Ian

-likewise-

deadsquirrel
25th July 2007, 10:17
I totally agree Simon. NO, NO, NO.

Run outside of the MSA jurisdiction and we loss a thorough chain of support, appeal and jurisdiction. You could not operate with any MSA licensed official, or marshal, we are not insured and I for one am not putting my life on the line without damn good insurance and support behind me. Incarace could not hold a candle against the protection and support I get from being a MSA registered marshal.

Key words for me are support and jurisdiction. Incarace operate outside any form of authority (somebody please correct me with evidence if I am wrong) and therefore are open to being prosecuted (both as a company and individuals working their events) should anyone (including public) be injured or killed at a race event.

The level of monetry support Incarace get (I believe) for Motorfest is significant, and I would put forward the promotion (or not) of the National Championship weekend coming up at an Incarace track in two weeks as Incarace's normal level of advance promotion of events (specifically, they have no information on ticket prices, camping, etc this close to the event).

cameronian
25th July 2007, 11:33
"I know the BRSCC people who are running the SCSA championship, talk to them, they listen and take note. Do you remember the debacle of the first meeting last year, virtually every marshal was going to walk and abandon oval racing, a lot did, however the BRSCC listened to our dialogue and changed things quickly to improve matters."
Chigley, while I respect your views and bow to your greater knowledge on the subject and motor racing in general I feel I must disagree with your above statement.
On Sunday I saw no evidence of BRSCC working in the best interests of SCSA, in fact my impression was the opposite.

GeeBee2
25th July 2007, 11:46
I can't believe someone wrote to the organiser of the Caterham championship and complained enough to upset them. That's well out of order! Especially after they put on such a good show. As Witty said we need to keep a level head and definately not go upsetting people and burning bridges.

On the Lautsitz subject, I'd like a holiday in Germany and I'm sure a few of the regular fans would feel the same.

racing59
25th July 2007, 11:55
Incarace are part of this "International Drivers Organisation" or whatever it's called, which is a sort of "alternative" to the FIA/MSA, covering things like track based stunts, etc....

They've probably spent all of their money on Motorfest, and just rely on "local knowledge" and experience to cover the rest.

Regardless of that, they ARE promoting their events 1000000% more than just about every form of national motorsport (other than the BTCC with it's multi-million point manufacturer backing).

Returning to a Chigley point earlier.. we need more marshals, it's something that's affecting motorsport in general, and I'd say that the lack of promotion of motorsport to the masses is party to the lack of marshals. If people do not know that they can go and do it, then they just won't be there.

I reckon the mainstream TV should have a "freebie" advert slot every now and then during peak viewing times where causes like this can get their subject aired at little or no cost. Or perhaps the marshals club should start hounding the news dogs to get some airtime - if it's on the back of the successes of Lewis Hamilton, then so be it. Make it so No.1.

Rob.

deadsquirrel
25th July 2007, 12:06
Incarace are part of this "International Drivers Organisation" or whatever it's called, which is a sort of "alternative" to the FIA/MSA, covering things like track based stunts, etc....

Can you provide anything 'concrete' to back this up, Rob? (I'm assuming you mean IOPD - IOPD.org)

JovialJooles
25th July 2007, 12:16
Sadly that would make it difficult for some of your die hard fans here to follow the whole series. Part of the draw for us is that it is mainly a Rockingham based championship which makes it accessible for us.(aside from the noise, the smell, the atmosphere etc.. :) )

I don't have a problem at all with the series going to Lausitz. If it does anything to improve the profile and encourage more sponsors, drivers and teams, that has to be good for the series.

JovialJooles
25th July 2007, 12:21
Returning to a Chigley point earlier.. we need more marshals, it's something that's affecting motorsport in general, and I'd say that the lack of promotion of motorsport to the masses is party to the lack of marshals. If people do not know that they can go and do it, then they just won't be there.

I reckon the mainstream TV should have a "freebie" advert slot every now and then during peak viewing times where causes like this can get their subject aired at little or no cost. Or perhaps the marshals club should start hounding the news dogs to get some airtime - if it's on the back of the successes of Lewis Hamilton, then so be it. Make it so No.1.

Rob.

The reason there are less marshals is that there is a national problem with volunteering - just ask a few charities. It is a constant battle to get people to give their time for free. The issue with the lack of marshals only reflects the issue of volunteering in general.

Julian

wends
25th July 2007, 17:51

Rob.

Good old martin brundle and co seem to be pluging marshaling at the moment on the f1 show,s (but to marshal f1 thay have to start at grass roots level for a while, and will take a while to do f1)
The trouble is a lot of people judge motorsport by what thay see on tv, Which is a different world apart from say..750MC, LEGENDS, PUT,S, NORTH GLOUCESTER ECT....to name but a few where a lot action is.

racing59
25th July 2007, 19:48
I agree with your comment regarding volunteering.
I blame Tesco's. If they didn't open on Sundays, nobody else would, and we'd get our hallowed day of racing/gardening/sunday lunch/down the pub/Egyptian PT/etc.. back again!!!

One of my friends is a scoutmaster, and according to figures he has, there is a waiting list of something like 30000 kids trying to get into the scouting movement. Adults don't want to get involved because of the legal crud that goes with it - all of the police checks, social services delving into your affairs, etc.. and then being under the spotlight, open to the slightest malicious allegation which may ruin their lives/careers etc... so they don't bother.

Had I got more time at the weekend events, I'd come out and give you a hand.

Rob.

Old Stock Nut
25th July 2007, 20:27
Like Rob, and many others, I have too many other calls on my time to do any marshalling thse days - maybe if I finally give up the daily grind before the old body does?? However, I do have a question and I would like to hear Ians views. The marshalling at a pure oval event must be much less onerous than where cars are wandering all over the Corby countryside. We have the yellow lights and apart from a small number of comms equiped observers on the bend exits, and our superb safety crews and flag stand operator of course, I venture to suggest that we should be able to get by with that degree of lesser cover for such oval only events. Would oval-only meetings be easier to promote because of that, and is that what we would want? I gather that the BGs could just about manage full circuits and even the legends might be able to do it as well, although they might just get a bit breathless trying. And we have always got good old Terry Grant, maybe the odd noisy dragster from across the next county and there are always the wheelie bin racers to try again! Perhaps in trying to get events with lots of wandering races BRSCC are making life more complicated than it needs to be to meet our simple needs - or do they have club sections that will always jump at the chance to go fast at such a great facility - oops, nerve ending alert?

english4ever
25th July 2007, 21:25
Wheelie bin racing is a national sport at the capital of suffolk, trouble is the wheels fly off about 60 mph, and then the sparks fly and make one heck of a noise!!!! i'm up for some wheelie bin racing at Rockingham!

Reynard
25th July 2007, 22:10
I can't believe someone wrote to the organiser of the Caterham championship and complained enough to upset them. That's well out of order! Especially after they put on such a good show. As Witty said we need to keep a level head and definately not go upsetting people and burning bridges.

Graham, I just hope to goodness that the culprit isn't a member of this forum... :s

Jordygirl
25th July 2007, 22:16
The marshalling at a pure oval event must be much less onerous than where cars are wandering all over the Corby countryside. We have the yellow lights and apart from a small number of comms equiped observers on the bend exits, and our superb safety crews and flag stand operator of course, I venture to suggest that we should be able to get by with that degree of lesser cover for such oval only events.

As the "comms equipped observer" on Turn 4 I can assure you it is NOT less onerous than being on 'The Bank' at conventional race meetings. Safety is paramount. Doing the job of what usually would be 3 pepole is not an easy task. Who do you think calls for the yellow lights? Come down and join me on Turn 4 and I think you might change your mind on a degree of lesser coverage.

Rant over

Chigley
25th July 2007, 23:46
Whoa gal calm down, I think I know where Brian is coming from and will answer fully tomorrow.

Chigley
26th July 2007, 14:56
Hi OSN,

What you suggest would be less onerous if we had a full compliment of marshals monitoring the oval and also had viable teams manning the infield posts.

As it is we are on a frayed shoestring for both so I'm afraid the load is even more onerous. To man the oval to a level that would be acceptable in the States we would have a team of marshals manning both the Turn x In and the Turn x Out posts, these teams should comprise of an observer, a communicator and an assistant who rotate their roles on post according to ability and experience. The observer concentrates solely on the traffic that has left the previous sector and watches everything closely up to but not beyond his shoulder. The communicator passes on to RC any observations that the observer has; the assistant scans the track as a second pair of eyes for the observer and also looks out for debris, oil etc................ So on Rockingham's oval we should have at 24 marshals, we are lucky these days to get more than four. It is normal for us to only man the Turn x Out posts with one person who does the work of six in the States. It is very onerous, very demanding, dangerous and the concentration, instant memory recall and accurate reporting of incidents required is incredible. The additional factor that makes oval marshalling more difficult is that you are right on top of (at times no more than two feet) cars that are travelling in excess of 150mph so your sight of cars and incidents is akin to the speed that a flash gun goes off, darn quick!

Conversely the infield posts are also usually manned single handedly and there the guys/lasses have to observer, report, flag, attend to errant drivers who have fallen off the black stuff, and tend to debris (when safe to do so) and potential fires. This is usually done by an observer, a pair of flaggies and a minimum of two incident/course marshals.

Oval only events could not happen as they would be uneconomical to run with the current Oval racing license holder (BRSCC). The BRSCC only gain income, to offset the track hire from Rockingham, from race entry fees which limits them to SCSA and PuT racing on the oval at the moment. Other formulae are capable of running on the Oval and are MSA sanctioned e.g. F3. but do not do so, therefore additional racing is provided to add entertainment and income by use of the infield running additional BRSCC championships. Believe it or not the other BRSCC championships are queueing up to race at Rockingham they like it so much! It also provides a diversity of racing that is more appealing to the general public, although not neccesarily to the diehard oval fans.

Cheers
Ian

R3ROK
26th July 2007, 15:29
As the "comms equipped observer" on Turn 4 I can assure you it is NOT less onerous than being on 'The Bank' at conventional race meetings.

I thought you did a good job on Sunday...especially flapping your black floppy ears on your hat to the beat of the music...lol....assuming that was you?? I take it you were trying to keep cool? We were up in T4 stand getting sunburnt while you were dodging the minibus :)

JovialJooles
26th July 2007, 15:45
I thought you did a good job on Sunday...especially flapping your black floppy ears on your hat to the beat of the music.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

turn 4 mad
26th July 2007, 15:45
Graham, I just hope to goodness that the culprit isn't a member of this forum... :s

just so people know, i know the "culprit" and he is not a member of this or any other forum. i have seen the email the culprit had sent and quite honestly it is not threatning at all, the culprit was expressing his view and has since appologised to the person in question, for his email. i am in persesion of his season pass which he has passed to me to return, although i wont yet through haste, of which he has been a member since 2001 and will not visit rockingham again- unless something is sorted out with the series. i will not name names, all i will say he is a member of the boys in blue (ne nor ne nor) in northamptonshire and has never missed a race at the rock since its opening as far as i know.

Chigley
26th July 2007, 17:02
T4M do you know if he has expressed himself to Bernie Cottrell, he may calm down if he heard the full scenario :) likewise anyone else who had issues with the weekend.

All I can say is that I also was disappointed at how the weekend finished.

:)

turn 4 mad
26th July 2007, 19:09
T4M do you know if he has expressed himself to Bernie Cottrell, he may calm down if he heard the full scenario :) likewise anyone else who had issues with the weekend.

All I can say is that I also was disappointed at how the weekend finished.

:)

i will ask and let you know, then i will say no more on the matter, like us all we were all annoyed at the weekend, but we have to look forward to the next one now.

english4ever
26th July 2007, 19:55
AMEN

Old Stock Nut
26th July 2007, 20:42
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Ian. As you realised, I was trying to be constructive albeit a bit ignorant in this case, and I was not trying in any way to belittle anything our safety crews in general (and that includes the marshals) donate to us from their own time so that we can enjoy our days at the Rock.

Clearly, from your reply, the emphasis on the other formulae using the Rock is symbiotic. Having a way to run your fun formula on such a superb facility is a clear draw. The unfortunate result of such a situation where the oval lovers have to sell their souls to get a meeting leads to the inevitable situation where those who pay the piper can call the tune. To that extent, we have to accept that these additional formulae are enabling us to continue to see our favourites doing their stuff when without them we might not be seeing any racing at all this year. I was not at the Rock on Sunday so have kept out of the whys and wherefores of it. Suffice to say that it beholds those who pay to have their fun on race days to help fund it, to accept that there are some fundamental requirements to running V8s on slicks and to try to accommodate that where possible. I firmly believe that at some point we will be one of the stronger formulae inthe UK and then it will be fun meeting those who we met on the way up coming down.

bravheart
26th July 2007, 20:47
i will ask and let you know, then i will say no more on the matter, like us all we were all annoyed at the weekend, but we have to look forward to the next one now.

Thank you ALL for your support over this past week! A strong Fan following behind the Mac Tools V8 Trophy Championship can help make all the difference in the future!

Now! just like turn 4 mad said! "we have to look forward to the next one" and with Fans like you behind us, it really makes all our efforts worth while!!!

'keep it coming'

cameronian
26th July 2007, 23:38
I think I've posted more on this subject than on any other in the last six years. I was so angry seeing the cars lined up and knowing that if they didn't get out soon the rain would beat them.
As an SCSA/Ascar fan that ruined my day... I did see the first race and enjoyed watching Shane catch the field....he was not taking it easy, he had to work hard to get there.
Nonetheless you're right we've go to draw a line under it and hope BRSCC will
listen and learn.
Let's hope the August meeting goes without a hitch and all the teams and drivers give us a day to be proud of.

Jordygirl
28th July 2007, 11:46
I thought you did a good job on Sunday...especially flapping your black floppy ears on your hat to the beat of the music...lol....assuming that was you?? I take it you were trying to keep cool? We were up in T4 stand getting sunburnt while you were dodging the minibus :)

Yes that was me, and thanks for the compliment. "Harry the Hairy Hat", as he has been called will be at the Rock in August, come and introduce yourself. :wave:

Sticker Rub
28th July 2007, 15:55
"Harry the Hairy Hat", as he has been called
Among other things... ;)

cameronian
3rd August 2007, 00:52
Enough time has passed to allow BRSCC to respond to the the emails and letters generated by this subject.
Has anyone received a reply or seen their response on this issue ?
I certainly haven't.

car20
3rd August 2007, 18:15
NOPE sent an email and wife sent letter! But really do we expect anything in the way of a reply Think of them like tesco ( every little bit of our money helps them) :D

Old Stock Nut
7th August 2007, 11:53
Excellent arcticle in here: http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/08/06/international.cup.race/index.html

Brian France's comments are really relevant to what we want here, particularly the one about half-way down:
"Our business model is very different from Formula One in how we view the end product," France said. "It has to be close, competitive and cost-effective. That's not on the minds of too many sanctioning bodies around the world."

Sums up some of the European issues pretty well in just those words.

racing59
7th August 2007, 21:54
Following on from that paragraph....

"So ... we [need to] find people that are based in these countries that would see our business model and help us develop it. Whether it's South America or Europe or Asia, it has to be somebody who believed in what we believed in and helped us obtain that."

Heloooooo Mr France, helooooooooo! We're here.......

All we need is a "little extra help" from them to get the ball rolling again.

Anyone got his phone number?

racing59
7th August 2007, 22:06
This is what we need...

Stolen from NASCAR.com (for educational purposes - to teach the numptys in Europe how good NASCAR is!)

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR), which began in 1948, is the sanctioning body of one of America's premier sports. NASCAR is the #1 spectator sport - holding 17 of the top 20 attended sporting events in the U.S., the #2 rated regular-season sport on television with broadcasts in over 150 countries, and has 75 million fans that purchase over $2 billion in annual licensed product sales. These fans are the most brand loyal in all of sports and as result, more Fortune 500 companies participate in NASCAR than any other sport.

NASCAR consists of three major national series (NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, NASCAR Busch Series and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series) as well as eight regional series and one local grassroots series. NASCAR Sanctions 1,500 races at over 100 tracks in 35 U.S. States, Canada and Mexico. Based in Daytona Beach (FL), NASCAR has offices in Bentonville (AR), Charlotte (NC), Concord (NC), Conover (NC), Los Angeles, New York, Mexico City and Toronto.

------- end theft -----------

So, do I write to the nice Mr France and Mr Buller saying - here you two - talk to each other, and get Rockingham NASCAR sanctioned! Have a NASCAR office at Rockingham to handle UK operations.

I know we once had an allegiance with the ASA (mostly due to the cars!), but that is no longer what it was since MTV killed it.

What a big filip for the BRSCC to be sanctioned to run a NASCAR series (we could run a "Car of The Day after Tomorrow" (ie: composite panels, and a fuel injected engine running.... bio-ethanol???!!!)

Chigley
7th August 2007, 23:45
You're the man - GO FOR IT

:D

Jeff Carter
8th August 2007, 07:44
So, do I write to the nice Mr France and Mr Buller saying - here you two - talk to each other, and get Rockingham NASCAR sanctioned! Have a NASCAR office at Rockingham to handle UK operations.

I know we once had an allegiance with the ASA (mostly due to the cars!), but that is no longer what it was since MTV killed it.

What a big filip for the BRSCC to be sanctioned to run a NASCAR series (we could run a "Car of The Day after Tomorrow" (ie: composite panels, and a fuel injected engine running.... bio-ethanol???!!!)

Following the '01/'02 ASCAR-NASCAR fallout, Ashley Pover had a meeting with Bill France Jnr and other NASCAR officials at Rockingham. I remember AP telling me that they were impressed with the facility and they went away happy, but nothing more than that came out of the visit.

It was always the plan to link UK stock car racing to the US racing scene (hence the moves with ASA) but for NASCAR to get involved in Europe now I suspect the bar will have to be raised significantly over here before they would even consider it.

I'm not privy anymore to the long term plans for Rockingham, but who knows!

deadsquirrel
8th August 2007, 16:15
Following the '01/'02 ASCAR-NASCAR fallout, Ashley Pover had a meeting with Bill France Jnr and other NASCAR officials at Rockingham. I remember AP telling me that they were impressed with the facility and they went away happy, but nothing more than that came out of the visit.

It was always the plan to link UK stock car racing to the US racing scene (hence the moves with ASA) but for NASCAR to get involved in Europe now I suspect the bar will have to be raised significantly over here before they would even consider it.

I'm not privy anymore to the long term plans for Rockingham, but who knows!

I think any link would be a 'naming' exercise at best, with probably a large sanctioning fee going to NASCAR. I'm sure they'd help with contacts etc to get cars/parts, but they're not going to support or fund a series methinks.

Sorry if I'm sounding negative, but I can't see this happening for a long while, unless Rockingham start to get interested in motorsport again - now with the F3/GT weekend, BTCC and possibly Powernights, there's a glimmer of that happening. It's such a crying shame the facility still isn't a jewel in British Motorsport.

Jeff Carter
8th August 2007, 21:20
It's such a crying shame the facility still isn't a jewel in British Motorsport.

Amen to that! It was the hope of everyone working at Rockingham in May 2001 and the facility is still THE best motorsport venue in the country, bar none.

With BTCC and now British F3/GT back at Rockingham this year, things are looking better, but there is a LONG way to go.

leftturnracer
10th August 2007, 12:45
Glad to see the BRSCC are listening to the issues now. Last race weekend was Caterham meeting with the odd bit of oval racing just to prop it up.
I have not lost faith in Rockingham having been going since 2001 I will come back at the next meeting. I would love to see the series flourish honestly I can’t see why it hasn’t grown that much.
If I could change one thing I would make every race day a celebration of oval racing.. So maybe a demo of a run of a Indycar (I am sure there are few around in the UK .. there was a IRL car in the Boss Series) or some oval race car at the lunch break rather than motor bike displays. Also more effort to make the V8’s and PUT the centre of attention.
I don’t think the idea of NASCAR sanctioning racing at Rockingham is that far fetched. Look at the NFL/NBA/NHL they have all had relationships with their British equivalents for a while and are all bringing regular season games to the UK.
There is certainly an appetite for having a foothold in Europe for American sports at the moment. On the other hand they are moving the show over here, NASCAR have already dismissed a Cup race in Europe but I think they would love their brand on the best oval series in Europe.
I think the regulations the SCSA uses for its racing does not quite fit with NASCAR. Dropping the 2 races in a day for one long race with refuelling would in my opinion make it a better proposition for a start (I am aware this requires extra licences or something). I am sure if NASCAR wanted a NASCAR Europe series it would have to fit to NASCAR’s perception of racing all be it with some slight regional differences.

Whatever happens I hope we are all able to enjoy/participate in SCSA racing at Rockingham in 2008!!!

Nick Brad
10th August 2007, 19:28
I think the regulations the SCSA uses for its racing does not quite fit with NASCAR. Dropping the 2 races in a day for one long race with refuelling would in my opinion make it a better proposition for a start (I am aware this requires extra licences or something). I am sure if NASCAR wanted a NASCAR Europe series it would have to fit to NASCAR’s perception of racing all be it with some slight regional differences.

Whatever happens I hope we are all able to enjoy/participate in SCSA racing at Rockingham in 2008!!!

Why would the regs have to change? NASCAR sanctions many series which run shorter races than the 3 top series, usually running short tracks i'll agree, but I don't see that being an issue. What could be an issue is the fact that we currently have low car counts, (not through lack of effort by any means,) and the fact that there's only one oval track on the books atm. If Eurospeedway comes on board for a couple of meetings a year, then that may change it a bit. For me, fuelling isn't viable atm, we need to keep things as cost effective as possible for potential new teams as well as existing competitors.

racing59
10th August 2007, 20:44
Refuelling isn't an issue until we start doing more than about 75 laps.

When you look at NASCAR Weekly series races, they are generally around 50-100 laps on short ovals (1/4-7/8mile) - more laps on the shorter ovals.

The issue with sanctioning is that it will probably cost the series or circuit money to become sanctioned. However, the benefit is publicity.

The rules (specifications) are irrelevant, the issue is the "type" of racing, and the "end result" - the NASCAR machine.

Bottom line we have a marketing issue. Marketing the circuit & racing to the public, and marketing the series to the motor racing public to entice new drivers.

As has been said before, the short oval fraternity shy away because they see the V8's as they were a few years ago - mega money. It has been shown from the last two years that it is not.

And the road circuit fraternity think we're either "dirty short oval racing types with black greasy hands", or "complete lunatics who race 6" from a concrete wall, with NO gravel to hide in!".

Doing some road course racing and going to other ovals should help.

If we can get over those problems, we've cracked it.

I look forward to this coming meeting, where maybe, just maybe, some of the Ford Saloon's guys who are interested may go out an buy a "Ford Taurus" or two....

Rob.

leftturnracer
10th August 2007, 23:05
When you look at NASCAR Weekly series races, they are generally around 50-100 laps on short ovals (1/4-7/8mile) - more laps on the shorter ovals.

The issue with sanctioning is that it will probably cost the series or circuit money to become sanctioned. However, the benefit is publicity.

The rules (specifications) are irrelevant, the issue is the "type" of racing, and the "end result" - the NASCAR machine.

Bottom line we have a marketing issue. Marketing the circuit & racing to the public, and marketing the series to the motor racing public to entice new drivers.

As has been said before, the short oval fraternity shy away because they see the V8's as they were a few years ago - mega money. It has been shown from the last two years that it is not.

And the road circuit fraternity think we're either "dirty short oval racing types with black greasy hands", or "complete lunatics who race 6" from a concrete wall, with NO gravel to hide in!".

Doing some road course racing and going to other ovals should help.

If we can get over those problems, we've cracked it.

I look forward to this coming meeting, where maybe, just maybe, some of the Ford Saloon's guys who are interested may go out an buy a "Ford Taurus" or two....

Rob.

Make no mistake I agree with both you and Nick Brad. My point I guess is the product is Latemodel racing on a 1.47 mile oval.. why don't the SCSA put on a race that reflects that maybe once a year have a 100+ lap race. Maybe call it the United 200 or something and invite some drivers from the States.
I just think SCSA needs to have something unique to pull crowds in the cars should be enough and if we could get more guys out there maybe it would be. Your of course right that NASCAR sanctioning if we could get it would attract sponsors drivers and teams.. That would be great!
I think the matter of racing the V8's on a roadcourses was discussed two seasons ago, problems of car configuration and the extra cost to change from oval settings to roadcourse meant it was never taken any further. It would be nice to see what they could do on a right hand bend :D
I know I am talking pipe dream stuff but there are enough people with a passion for oval racing on both sides of the fence to drag the V8's out of this slump. What we need is a few of them with the money and the balls to do it. Trust me if I had the green in my pocket I sure would. :)

Chigley
10th August 2007, 23:20
Regarding the fracas after the last meeting when things got a tad heated, does anyone know who is, or isn't, likely to be entering next weekend? :)

Nick Brad
11th August 2007, 12:26
As far as i'm aware, everyone is coming out to play next weekend.