PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham virgin's first impressions!!

andyB
23rd July 2007, 22:47
Just though I'd let all you guys know what I though of my first time at Rockingham this Sunday (22nd July).

I heard about Rockingham a few years ago and finally got off my arse and travelled the 2 1/2 hours down the motorways from Cheshire to see what this oval circuit business was all about.

We left about 8am (myself,my dad and my motorsports mad mate) got to Rockingham at about 10.30 and we were very impressed by the design and size of the Rock - however we were not impressed to hear that we had just missed the first scsa race, despite checking the website for any last minute changes before we left :confused:

However - no offence to the other racers - but we came for one reason only, to see oval racing! Not infield circuit style racing - Oulton Park (my local) does a good job of that.

The PUT's did not dissapoint at all....WOW both races rocked - drifting, rubbing and constant battles for the lead!! Now this is what I call racing it blew us all away and brought big smiles to our faces :) :)

Support races did what they did, food reasonable in price and quality, programme good, PA system excellent - best I've heard anywhere for clarity, but should have clearly explained changes to the programme.

The paddock was great, grandstand very impressive and the athmosphere was good, but where the heck was everyone?? I've seen more people at non league football matches... surely Rockingham can not continue with crowds that small??

As for the final race of the day, the 2nd scsa race, well in all my years of attending sports events I don't think Ive seen anything so sad as the ten cars I saw limping around for a few laps before coming off due to the rain! frustrating is an understatement... we had all been looking forward to this all day and it left a sour taste in the mouth after an otherwise entertaining day.

I'd love to see a full programme of oval racing - forget the infield - oval racing rocks, open wheel/champ car racing would be fantastic here with the PUT'S and SCSA at full strength it would be unbeatable and unique entertainment, if promoted correctly with tv support etc.

Thank you for an enjoyable day Rockingham - we will be back, and hopefully next time will be better organised, long may oval racing continue, all fans should come together and spread the word, I know I will.

Speedworx
23rd July 2007, 22:55
Most people didn't know about the schedule change until they arrived at the track.

Glad you enjoyed your first trip and that you can encourage others to attend.

racing59
23rd July 2007, 23:14
Andy,

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of Rockingham.

As for your impressions of the second SCSA race, you feel like we do.

As I said before. Bitter? Me? A lemon with salt on!

Andy,

Come and see us in August. You can have a sit in the Team Air Ambulance car and see what it's like from our point of view...

Speedworx
23rd July 2007, 23:21
Rob: can a Rockingham veteran have a sit in there too?

Old Stock Nut
23rd July 2007, 23:25
Welcome Andy

You have summed up a lot about the Rock very well indeed after your first visit and have explained the very things that it is and should be more of. What we have got here is a jewel that is being drowned by the hobbyists who control motor sport in this country. Big oval racing is different to anything else:
It is about big V8s and turbo-charged pickups racing inches from a very solid wall indeed.
It is about driving up that road towards the track with the back of your neck tingling to see such a spectacular sight ahead of you rather than a few old sheds that have seen much better days – oh and toilets that can be reached without the need for wellies and that you would not be ashamed to take your wives and children to.
It is about spectacular racing that can be seen from anywhere you care to sit.
It is about entertainment for the spectators, not the drivers and crews (no disrespect guys and we can only see what we see thanks to your efforts)
It is about involvement with real enthusiastic spectators, not just the big wallets.
It is about introducing new people to see entertainment with motor cars and their drivers as the stars.
It is about using those cars and drivers to give us a great day out with the whole family.

Why do the mainstream petrolhead controllers want it to fail - because it is about expanding the "sport" to a whole new mass, not the elite few who can afford to drive their special cars without the need to worry too much about whether they will bend or wreck them or not while they wander round a few corners a bit faster than they are allowed on the roads.

The best days out at Rockingham have been those that have concentrated on the values I have shown above. Most of us who want Rockingham to succeed would much rather see Terry Grant doing his outrageous stuff than see a load of minis wandering round in the infield and purring past the grandstand every few minutes. Even the Pickups didn't really take off as a spectacle until they were converted to race flat out on the oval – a lesson that should not be overlooked in the history books.

Can we please go forward again to days at the Rock that make us, the paying public, go away feeling that we had been to a real entertainment show for the whole family. And remember that there are a lot more kids wandering around with Lighnting McQueen toys than some obscure topless sports car.

Give us “Our Rock” back please mister.

racing59
23rd July 2007, 23:57

Certainly.

My team manager (wife) had suggested that we charge a pound for our charity, but I'm happy to do it for the goodwill, and for the benefit of the series and the circuit.

Brian - the PuT's are naturally aspirated. Good lord, if they were turbocharged they wouldn't be as loud! Where's the fun in that!!!

Your post has summed it up.

It is an entertainment first. A sport second.

NASCAR, the second most popular spectator sport in North America behind major league baseball..... is... a merchandising machine first, an entertainment second, an a sport third. Strange how it works.

I want a piece of that.

Not what we had on Sunday.

FeeWaybill
24th July 2007, 09:02
I will start by saying that I am one of the many many people who attended every Oval meeting 3/4 years ago and have not returned in the last 2 years. However I still look at the resutls and occassionally drop in to view this board. My how things change! The reason I use to vist was that at that time Rockingham WAS Entertainment with capital E. I use to take my my whole family, the girls enjoyed the music acts, the boys enjoyed the racing (I still rember Colin McRae bouncing off the walls down the main straight), and we all enjoyed the shows, displays and the shops and stalls. However this site was then populated by a number of people moaning about how there were too many kids at the circuit, too much music, too much showbusiness. Well I am afraid to say that Oval racing had its chance in the Uk and it blew it! It is now a small bunch of enthusiasts desperately trying to breathe life into a lost cause. I respect and admire the efforts of all those currently involved but the Entertainment industry is a desperately hard and unforgiving business and I fear your opportunity has passed. The fact it only has 10 regular drivers shows it has no wide appeal for the general club enthusiast who would rather race alternative formulas at lower cost and greater variety. My message is simple, enjoy this year as much as you can......

JovialJooles
24th July 2007, 11:12
I think the last three posts have summed up the state of play very well.

I hope you are wrong FeeWaybill.

As I've posted on other threads, something needs to be done about making it a family friendly event again. The current effort is nothing short of pathetic, not even a bouncy castle.

[Rant deleted as I don't want to be too negative on this forum...]

andyB
24th July 2007, 21:20
Thank you for the kind offer racing 59 I'll get back down to Rockingham ASAP. :)

It's a shame that scsa has come to this point, being a positive person I believe that if you build it people will come - however somewhere along the line it all went badly wrong.

I guess people need to decide what direction scsa is going to go in and for EVERYONE to pull together, without a common goal the series will drift (excuse the pun) and collapse!

There is definetly a market for this style of racing - however it needs to be promoted and marketed in the right way! It sounds like the early momentum this series had stalled(excuse the pun) somewhere, excuse my ignorance but why did they stop the whole family thing with music etc?? :confused: I presume money.... aiming for a young family crowd is a good idea get them hooked and they will come for many years, as long as it's not a passing fad!! You also need the established racing spectators, perhaps put off by the razzamatazz? You can't please all the people all of the time.

Could the scsa race at regular circuits to help build a following? Entice people to visit Rockingham and follow the series like the touring cars or superbikes?

LessThanSte
24th July 2007, 21:45
Just a thought, but would it not be a good idea to start looking at Mallory Park?

OK, the oval isnt ideal, its bumpy and the grass isnt great but, i still think one of the main reasons for the lack of numbers of new people is because of it being a one track championship. Regardless of how serious it gets, whilst only racing at Rockingham its going to be laughed at by those that dont know enough about it.

Eurospeedway would also be great to have back, though of course the cost involved in racing there is FAR too high for the series in its current form!

Have the V8's and/or pickups thought about running the Mallory oval and is it actually feasible?

darknessrock
24th July 2007, 21:50
Not been to mallory for about 20 years,,, I seem to remember no armco around the lake, that could be a problem :)

LessThanSte
24th July 2007, 21:56
Ive never been actually, just seen pictures. But i believe theres about a 30 metre strip of grass before an armco barrier on both sides for most of the lap.

I see no REAL reason why having a grass wall, as it were, is different from a concrete wall.

WHilst on the subject of other tracks, and because its been mentioned by Rob in the other post, would Warneton not love to have us over there? Im told the CAMSO v8's have a riot round there, and for sure it would be a great show, could you imagine the pickups racing there!!!!

I said when Rockingham first opened that, although the place is brilliant, what we need more than anything is a half mile bullring like Bristol or Martinsville, where the crowd are right on top of the drivers and teams, where bumping and barging is not only part of racing but also not likely to result in a destroyed car, and that would get fans hooked more than anything. Plus, being half a mile would make the place feasible from the short oval point of view, with your hot rods and stuff more likely to race there.

Alternatively, lets build us a Daytona. Someone win the lottery, we'll buy 30 cars and race them flat out for 2.5 miles. Or, how about we head down to Pendine Sands?

darknessrock
24th July 2007, 22:01
Alternatively, lets build us a Daytona. Someone win the lottery, we'll buy 30 cars and race them flat out for 2.5 miles. Or, how about we head down to Pendine Sands?

Ticket bought, If we all do the same we might make £10-20 for the cause. If i win the jackpot, i promise to buy the 30 cars..

LessThanSte
24th July 2007, 22:14
how about a syndicate. We each spend a quid, all the money won goes to making rockingham great again, and anyone who does win (be it a tenna or the jackpot), gets a passenger ride during a truck race :)

JDPower
25th July 2007, 04:06
Have the V8's and/or pickups thought about running the Mallory oval and is it actually feasible?
The pickups have raced there. I went to see them there about 3 year ago I think and they were quite entertaining. Doesn't seem a very safe track IMO from visiting there, in fact there was a driver in a support series who had to be cut from his car when we visited (theres also very little between spectator and track).

acorn
25th July 2007, 11:09

mallory park - the spiritual home of eurocar. pickups, v6 and v8 eurocars (and legends) all used the oval so yes it is feasible BUT it's in the midlands again so is unlikely to attract new fans. also, the viewing(while better than a lot of other tracks) is not as good as rockingham as apart from the upper part of the banking(which, although sizeable, wouldn't accomodate a rockingham crowd) at the finish, you are virtually at track level and the pit/admin/hospitality buildings obstuct your view at that level.

ooh, i've just thought of something else and that is that mallory is flat and therefore the rule that prevents other msa formulae using the rockingham banked oval shouldn't apply leaving the door open for greater variety on the oval.

racing59
25th July 2007, 12:00
Like you say, it's in the midlands again, but then you could say "it's centrally located for all"

However, I feel that we need a venue in or near the capital.

Anyone got a million quid to promote a race at Wembley? You'd get it back through ticket sales if marketed properly.

Wimbledon is not an option. Wire fence is a no-no. Had it got a wall, then it would be idea for a "demo".

hicksy
25th July 2007, 12:36
Wimbledon is not an option. Wire fence is a no-no. Had it got a wall, then it would be idea for a "demo".

Think of the damage to the grass though. Tennis would never be the same. :)

pickup
25th July 2007, 16:02
I said when Rockingham first opened that, although the place is brilliant, what we need more than anything is a half mile bullring like Bristol or Martinsville, where the crowd are right on top of the drivers and teams, where bumping and barging is not only part of racing but also not likely to result in a destroyed car, and that would get fans hooked more than anything. Plus, being half a mile would make the place feasible from the short oval point of view, with your hot rods and stuff more likely to race there.

Totally agree although Rockingham is a superb venue (long may it continue) i think the step up from our short ovals to a 1.5 mile oval was probably a bit to much and with only the V8's and pickups sanctioned to run on this track it was allways going to be difficult to keep spectators interested.
A 1/2 mile oval could run both of these formulas and a few of the short circuit formula could also step up to this distance giving the promoters a wider choice of racing.
The 1/2 mile oval that was planned for Silverstone would have fitted the bill perfectly and although people have said the plans have been scrapped and the idea is dead if certain events happen and the dedicated people behind the scenes get their way then it may still go ahead, don't rule it out just yet.
Lets keep these oval series alive and the future may just surprise us.

Nick Brad
6th August 2007, 23:14

The seat is open to all, (as long as Rob doesn't need it at the time to a spot of racing.) I like the idea of throw a pound in the pot though, it doesn't have to be mandatory, but every penny counts and the Air Ambulances could sure do with the money so if you can donate, it would be most welcome.

Nick Brad
6th August 2007, 23:34
I'm glad to hear you had a good day Andy and even more pleased to hear you will be back, once you get hooked on the V8's then there'll be no stopping you.
As you say, the oval action is what you came for, not the infield stuff, but at present they are what allows us to go racing, (although I have no idea why as we're paying for track time regardless of whether or not they attend.) I think the pecking order needs to be firmly established for future rounds, I hope the Caterhams never return on the same billing due the fact that there are other series who can run with us and there is now animosity between the series regardless of where it stems from and who is actually responsible.

As for the future, I know where i want to see the series go, not everyone agrees with me, but then everyone is more than welcome to have their own views and different ideas lead to good options. I just hope our hand isn't forced by the MSA, (yellow card issue,) I shall continue to support the series though whatever path it takes and if the worst does happen, Alan Currall will have a new best friend. I shalln't return to pickups despite already recieving a firm offer for next year due to personal reasons that I shalln't divulge on the forum, but hopefully it shalln't come to that and Duane and co's hard work will be justly rewarded.
Trackwise, Mallory isn't suitable unfortunately as an oval, the link section is too bumpy and having attempted to spot there in the past, I can safely it's just not possible. If the pit issue is taken care of, then road course running could be a possibility I guess if we need to take that route. Warneton is a no go long term for the Mac Tools V8 Trophy and already out of bounds for the pickups due to a 16 car restriction in place, if that can be overcome then it's an ideal venue. Lausitz isn't out of the question, but I can't say much about that atm until I have all the details, but I'm sure Duane will come along and tell all if and when there's something to say.... Let's get up to Knockhill for a test, the Nat Rods run there on the tri oval, I know there's gradients to consider and a hell of a hairpin, but until someone tries piloting a car round we shalln't know for sure what's possible.

Nick.

racing59
7th August 2007, 08:58
Knockhill? Blimey, my nose will bleed if I go that far up!!!

Next year's program has been pencilled, and once it things are finalised, I'm sure it'll be announced and everyone will be pleased.

Tiesse
7th August 2007, 10:36
Getting back to the "Rockingham virgin's first impressions" part of this thread, I was standing & chatting with the pickup truck parade winners as they were awaiting their presentation & they were all saying how they couldn't believe how approachable & accessible all of the teams were & how good the views were at the track.

They were making comments such as "can you imagine the paddock area at Silverstone being this open, allowing people to sit in cars for there pictures etc?" No was the unaminous answer!

They also commented on what a fantastic facility Rockingham is & it's a shame that it doesn't appear to get used enough.

They all said that they had enjoyed the day & they would consider coming back.

As I understand, there is a Ford RS Owners club event in August & on the ST Owners forum that I occasionally frequent, the feedback suggests there will be a fair turnout of their members.

Events like these do seem to be bringing people to Rockingham who wouldn't normally come, but the trick is getting them to keep coming back(maybe some sort of incentive ticket wise).

turn 4 mad
7th August 2007, 12:53
We had the #99 car at rockingham on sunday for the tvr 60th anniversary, and you wouldnt believe how many people told us they had never heard of he place.

LessThanSte
7th August 2007, 13:03
Driving into rockingham still gives me goosebumps occasionally, but can you imagine, having never heard of the place, and then coming up the driveway and walking up to your seats. That must be mind blowing :|

racing59
7th August 2007, 21:48
We had the #99 car at rockingham on sunday for the tvr 60th anniversary, and you wouldnt believe how many people told us they had never heard of he place.

Didn't we have the same at the Hot Stunts/French Car Show.

I certainly had the same at FastFest at Santa Pod.

It seems that Rockingham in general needs to publicise itself better.

We need some big story in the daily's.

Can't we find Osama Bin Laden in the portaloo between Turn 2 & Turn 3, oops, better not say that, the USAF will probably hit it with a squadron of B52's.

We need a celebrity back in the field.

No, I'm not suggesting that we put Jade Goody through rookie training, I said a celebrity!

Or, we need to turn one of our "kin" into a celebrity.

Tractor? Can you sing?

truckmonster
7th August 2007, 22:30
Pick ups race mallory, pickups race anywhere, thats why the series is so good!!!!

Nick Brad
7th August 2007, 23:17
Pickups USED to run Mallory, they don't any more as sadly it's not up to scratch. I'd love to see it on the calender for both series as I enjoyed my visits, but unless substantial investment is made, I can't see it happening.

Also, pickups don't race anywhere, no Scottish round plus they've never run at Lausitz, two places they really should be, especially if the cars return to Eurospeedway. I commend them for making inroads into Ireland though.

racing59
7th August 2007, 23:32
With SHP's involvement is the Irish Supercars, it was only going to be time before pickups went to Mondello. And a great job they did too!

Mallory could be so good, but it's a compromise - due to the "bump" in the north turn. If you flatten it, then the esses are compromised on the road course, and there's no room to make a new turn which was flat, even if they wanted to. Now the BARC lease the place, I can't see anything being done there now anyhow.

The people who own the place once said that if oval racing could give them 15000 spectators for every meeting, they'd turn it into a 1mile banked oval, proper style!

Now there's a challenge!

pickup
8th August 2007, 00:28
Pickups USED to run Mallory, they don't any more as sadly it's not up to scratch. I'd love to see it on the calender for both series as I enjoyed my visits, but unless substantial investment is made, I can't see it happening.

Also, pickups don't race anywhere, no Scottish round plus they've never run at Lausitz, two places they really should be, especially if the cars return to Eurospeedway. I commend them for making inroads into Ireland though.

I think what truckmonster was trying to say is that the pickups given the chance and under the right circumstances will race anywhere.
As for Scotland i went with the trucks to Knockhill twice in their earlier years with the Eurocar package and they were superb meetings, but as for visiting again along with Lausitz i think we would have a similar situation to this years meeting in Mondello a severe lack of spectators! i've seen more people watching Sunday league football and what publicity did we gain apart from publishing the results in a very small column in Motorsport News so i really can't see what was achieved by a very long and expensive weekend for most of the teams apart from honouring the contract to race there.
Do spectators from England go to Ireland to watch the trucks (i don't think so) will they travel to Scotland or Germany, will the few people who spectate in these countries travel to Rockingham or even England? i would say unless the trucks were supported by or were supporting another top line formula spectator numbers in these countries will be a problem, remember the original meetings in Scotland were well supported but that was with the Eurocar package which many people thought rivalled the BTCC for entertainment.
A meeting that would have been worth travelling to for the publicity and spectator numbers was at the Nurbugring supporting the FIA trucks but unfortunately financial matters arose and the pickups were outbid and our trip was cancelled.
I think at the moment efforts should be concentrated on bringing back the fans to Rockingham and when this is achieved then we can start to look further afield, at least i see the word entertainment being used (a word akin to swearing according to some people the last time i used it) by many people who have suddenly realised that the spectator is important to the survival of SCSA/pickup racing.
LONG LIVE OVAL RACING!

hicksy
8th August 2007, 13:09
I have been thinking about how to promote Rockingham/SCSA/PUT and reading everyones comments on here, and there are alot of good ideas. It appears to me that not enough people know that Rockingham exists and also have never heard of SCSA or the Pickups. The majority of people in this country will know Silverstone or Brands Hatch etc.. but mention Rockingham and most people will say "never heard of it". Then you have to explain the type of racing. Mention Oval Racing to those not in the know and they dont get it. Cars just going round and round in circles. They have no idea of the speeds, overtaking, drafting etc...

Americans have grown up with oval racing and as we all know they love it. I think that we need to focus our attentions on the Americans in this country. How many Americans are working in the UK and live here with their families. I bet they would love to see some American style oval racing right here in the UK. There are hundreds of American companies here and also American communities. There is a large American Community School in Surrey (3 in fact). Can we get some details to them? What about a display for the kids?
I have found a web site for American Expats which requires a password so I cant get in to the site but they have a forum. They also appear to give advice on things to do, where to go. What about an advert or logging on to their forum and telling them about the Rock?

These were just a few ideas I had and thought I would share. Can we discuss? Lunch break over, back to work.

Rob

Tony Hurdle
8th August 2007, 15:56
Where in Surrey are the schools? I'm in Berkshire and could take my car along if it were part of a promo exercise.

Chigley
8th August 2007, 16:26
Where in Surrey are the schools? I'm in Berkshire and could take my car along if it were part of a promo exercise.

Cobham, Egham, Hillingdon.

http://www.acs-england.co.uk/index.htm

english4ever
8th August 2007, 18:17
We need a celebrity back in the field.

No, I'm not suggesting that we put Jade Goody through rookie training, I said a celebrity!

Or, we need to turn one of our "kin" into a celebrity.

Tractor? Can you sing?

Ha ha nope i can't sing i do try and sing after a few snakebite and blacks though!!!

darknessrock
8th August 2007, 20:59
The majority of people in this country will know Silverstone or Brands Hatch etc.. but mention Rockingham and most people will say "never heard of it". Then you have to explain the type of racing. Mention Oval Racing to those not in the know and they dont get it. Cars just going round and round in circles. They have no idea of the speeds, overtaking, drafting etc...

If anyone watches Nascar on embedded tv, or any other stream with a chat facility, there are a lot of british oval fans watching.. and if you ask if they've ever been to rockingham, you always get "where?". If we let them know it's here, the people will come! :) (heres hoping)

Tony Hurdle
8th August 2007, 21:12
Cobham, Egham, Hillingdon.

http://www.acs-england.co.uk/index.htm

Blimey. Just down the road. Do you know anyone there who we can talk to?

Chigley
8th August 2007, 22:30
Blimey. Just down the road. Do you know anyone there who we can talk to?

I tried at lunch time to find a possible contact but the site is a tad large, apparently 2000 pages a bit more digging required. I'm not too far away as well plus a few of the PuT boys and gals

EarWig
9th August 2007, 00:29
Try this page

If it's up-to-date the names are in the email adresses
http://www.fulbright.co.uk/eas/studyuk/usschools/americanschool.html

Regards
Ray

MGH
9th August 2007, 21:07
Ive never been actually, just seen pictures. But i believe theres about a 30 metre strip of grass before an armco barrier on both sides for most of the lap.

I see no REAL reason why having a grass wall, as it were, is different from a concrete wall.

WHilst on the subject of other tracks, and because its been mentioned by Rob in the other post, would Warneton not love to have us over there? Im told the CAMSO v8's have a riot round there, and for sure it would be a great show, could you imagine the pickups racing there!!!!

I couldn't agree more, what the UK needs is a 1/2 mile oval. Many of the small oval racers could easily adapt to a 1/2 mile oval.
If SCSA is to move forward it must find other venues to attract more drivers, why not try them at Lydden Hill it is, after all, almost an oval.
Perhaps all of the oval racing promotors will get together one day and build a 1/2 mile oval, I only hope that I live long enough to see it!

racing59
10th August 2007, 21:10
There is an "oval" at Lydden. The changes with gradients are "interesting"
A bit like the "oval" at Knockhill.

Mallory would be ideal if: the bump wasn't there, the pits were a little more suitable (entry is OK, but the current exit would be downright dangerous), and it had a wall around it!

Where would you built a 1/2 mile oval?

acorn
11th August 2007, 13:04
for me, silverstone is the logical place. it's central, already has motorsport(so less chance of planning being turned down) , it's owners have decided to improve the facility rather than sell to developers and it could(if required) replace northampton(should that be sold or succumb to the nimbys).

as they managed to get permission for powernights, saturday night racing under lights shouldn't be a problem.

green field or even brownfield sites would be hard to come by and probably not financially viable or able to get palnning permission. most existing circuits would i'm guessing either not have the flexibility to incorporate a 1/2 mile oval or would not be able to due to planning restrictions/noise restrictions.

Abo
11th August 2007, 14:11
How about mailing info@americanexpats.co.uk maybe they'd be willing to do some sort of deal? Getting US Expats to Motorfest would be a good start I reckon!

hicksy
11th August 2007, 20:27
How about mailing info@americanexpats.co.uk maybe they'd be willing to do some sort of deal? Getting US Expats to Motorfest would be a good start I reckon!

I have registered on the forum for American Expats just to check it out and see how much usage it gets. It looks like loads of people read it. The only downside I can see is that it costs $15 to subscribe and get access to the main threads like the Sports thread. General chat is free however. Terms and conditions state No Advertising. Would informing Expats that they can get there racing thrills in the UK be classed as advertising.???

I would be willing to pay the subscription fee and talk about it as best I can from a fan point of view, but if there is anyone else that can promote the series properly, perhaps you could also register and subscribe.

I may well subscribe anyway and perhaps if there are a couple of SCSA / PUT fans we can keep the thread alive in the sports section until it gets some notice. Let me know what you think.

Rob

racing59
11th August 2007, 20:45
One way of doing it is "What are you doing this weekend...." "oh, I'm off to Rockingham - they race like NASCAR up there..."

Abo
11th August 2007, 21:06
One way of doing it is "What are you doing this weekend...." "oh, I'm off to Rockingham - they race like NASCAR up there..."

Heh, or pretend to be a Yank and give it a 'hey guys, did you know they race stock cars in the UK?' etc. etc.

hicksy
11th August 2007, 21:06
Ok, I think I will introduce myself as a new member in the introduction section. Tell people what I am into and then see what response I get. Then if sucessful I will subscribe and carry it on in the Sports section.

racing59
11th August 2007, 22:45
Yup! Hey boy, that thar sounds like a great idea.

Y'all come back an holler to let us know what ya found!