PDA

View Full Version : The Get fit club!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Gibbsy
20th December 2006, 11:03
Ive noticed on a couple of recent threads that some members are out of shape, and unhappy about it...

Who wants to get fit with me? The basic idea of the thread is that we state fitness goals in our first post, then regularly report back on progress. Along the way we support, advise, motivate and virtually spot for each other.

Ill start with stating my problem, my goals and how i plan to go about achieving it.

Problem: I consider myself to be ideally around 78kg, Im 5 foot ten and broad shouldered, so any lighter than that would be unhealthy. Until the start of LAST year i was hovering around there and pretty happy about it. Then i started a new job, basically i manage a highly flammable lolly shop. The job and uni take up a lot of hours, and i stopped exercising. In around 20 months I have gained around 17 kg, and it aint muscle. The gut has gotten to the point where I cant hide it by sucking it in, and my old clothes dont fit. Not fun. I used to do weights a lot, so i know ive got muscle hiding under there somewhere. I just want to find it again.

Goal: Steadily get back to around 80 kg at a rate of loss between 500 grams and 1kg per week.

Method: Im going to focus on cardio. Initially i plan to do an exercise session 3 to 4 times per week. This will contain about half an hour of exercise bike (broken into 3 sets of ten minutes.). I will break these up with 2 five minute weight sessions where i lift light weights (around 50% of what i can do) at a fast rate to maintain the cardioness of the exercise, while keeping the major mucle groups awake and working.

I also plan to walk more regularly.

In the dietary sense i plan to minimise junk food from the diet. Though i dont think im ready for specific diet plans just yet.

First thing on every monday morning i will weigh myself and record process and then post on here, if the thread is still alive.

Ive been pretty candid there, obviously other people who join me dont have to be as personal if they dont want to. But yeah, anyone wanna get fit with me? Or offer hilariously cockney advice on the usefulness of Bulgarian Horse Steroids?

Storm
20th December 2006, 11:11
I have roughly the same problem as you Gibbsy but not quite that much :p :

I am 5' 9" and currently 83.5 kg....same as you I am quite big boned/broad shouldered (compared to my countrymen!) as well as some muscle lurking below my fat (which is irritating me but luckily I dont have a huuuge amount of it).

I started going to a gym close to my home abt 2.5 months ago (my weight then was 83.5 same as today but its been up to 85 within this time! I think its mainly the muscle mass I gained since I am doing weights as well as cardio)

Now I need to concentrate more on the cardio as my muscles do seem to be shaping up nicely especially the shoulders and arms(which isn't really why I joined the gym anyways) but my ideal weight would be 77/78kg as well. Also I am trying to eat 3 times a day (home cooked 2 times of those), especially reducing my dinner intake (and trying to eat earlier) and almost stopped eating cheese and sweet stuff.

oily oaf
20th December 2006, 17:43
Look I'd love to join ya Gibbo but as you may have noticed in the gym rats thread I'm in strict training for the big tear up with Jefe "The Keyboard Warrior" Maximo and can't afford to take the time out from my strict and punishing regime which consists of lying on the couch for long periods swilling untold cans of beer and then jumping up suddenly to deliver a single right cross to the heavy bag.
My gruelling ordeal doesnt end there however as I quickly follow up with a nice pipe of ready rubbed shag and a 7 or 8 hour kip.
Makes ya tired just thinking about it don't it? :(

(runs up steps of Bobby Moore Stand in West Ham shorts before jumping up and down energetically)
"Gettin' strong noooooooooooowwwwwwwwww" :vader:

RaikkonenRules
20th December 2006, 21:27
I'm 5' 9'' and 56kg and therefore I don't need this crummy fat club :p :

nicemms
20th December 2006, 21:54
I don't want to loose weight/ get fit because I am a good weight and in good form I just want to build up my muscles a bit.

Any ideas how?

oily oaf
21st December 2006, 07:23
I don't want to loose weight/ get fit because I am a good weight and in good form I just want to build up my muscles a bit.

Any ideas how?

Check out the "Gym Rats" thread mate. There's more advice on there than u can shake a $hitty stick at.

There's even a good tear up towards the end. Don't blink though squire you might miss it ;)

gloomyDAY
5th July 2009, 03:13
Cool. Someone made a thread about this eons ago!

So, what are your goals people?

I want to run the NYC marathon and have 4 months of preparation. Just one problem, plantar fasciitis. My left foot feels as if someone is driving a rusty nail into side. Hurts like hell, but hopefully will get better soon.

GridGirl
5th July 2009, 11:57
Wow, this is an old thread.

Gloomy, are you using a decent pair of running shoes? Most people who have foot or calf pain when ruinning find it all stops once they get a proper pair of running shoes.

My diet went out the window this week due to other family dramas. Hopefully today will be the first day in a week where I don't eat some form of takeaway food. Luckily I'm pretty fit already though. I like to do a minimum of 50km's worth of exercise each week plus some light weights to tone up.

I did a 70 mile charity bike ride about a month ago. Cycling half way across the country in about 9 hours (including stops) on the wrong type of bike was definately both hard work and a good challenge. I'm still looking out for my next decent physical challenge. I did want to try and cycle up the second highest mountain in England but I think as a challenge is way out of my capabilities as an off road cyclist.

pino
5th July 2009, 13:58
I run/walk at least 3 hours, and cycle ca. 20 km everyday, just because I need to keep me in form as I eat a lot of pizza and pasta :D

J4MIE
5th July 2009, 16:27
It's easy to cycle in Denmark but around here I have found that wherever I go it is all uphill :( :p :

Hazell B
5th July 2009, 20:01
Though not bothered about losing weight, I am just about to try getting back in to a bit more shape. Not riding has left me half muscular (my work's damned physical) so I've been looking for a horse to buy to get toned again.
Finally found one to go and see tomorrow, after about a year of searching :rolleyes:

Watch it go and throw my unfit ass out of the saddle and break my arm within a week :p :

MrJan
6th July 2009, 00:21
I found out the other day that I weigh 16st 9 (dressed and with wallet and phone etc.) and have high blood pressure. As a 24 year old I ought to do something about that so planning to watch more motorsport and drink more. This is on the theory that I walk alot when rallying and dance alot when drunk :D Genius.

markabilly
6th July 2009, 00:40
Per my hero, the first to walk on the moon, when asked if he did such things, responded "god gives you only so many heartbeats, no point in wasting any running around in a circle like an idiot...."

Tazio
6th July 2009, 05:17
Cool. Someone made a thread about this eons ago!

I want to run the NYC marathon and have 4 months of preparation. Just one problem, plantar fasciitis. My left foot feels as if someone is driving a rusty nail into side. Hurts like hell, but hopefully will get better soon.
Try Superfeet with a 1/8th inch lift. When I was playing Baseball I had the worst plantar fasciitis
These things were a miracle cure. (prescribed by a Sports Medicine Doctor).
Their not cheap, but well worth it! :up:

http://www.superfeet.com/foot-health/FHI50.aspx?TXT=plantar%20fasciitis

Tazio
6th July 2009, 05:37
Try Superfeet with a 1/8th inch lift. When I was playing Baseball I had the worst plantar fasciitis
These things were a miracle cure. (prescribed by a Sports Medicine Doctor).
Their not cheap, but well worth it! :up:

http://www.superfeet.com/foot-health/FHI50.aspx?TXT=plantar%20fasciitisHere is a testimomial I forgot to put in the previous post :mark:
http://www.superfeet.com/stories/4516ec76a820428ba6cb657e3a3b09ee.aspx

J4MIE
6th July 2009, 22:26
I found out the other day that I weigh 16st 9 (dressed and with wallet and phone etc.) and have high blood pressure. As a 24 year old I ought to do something about that so planning to watch more motorsport and drink more. This is on the theory that I walk alot when rallying and dance alot when drunk :D Genius.

Sounds good :up:

GridGirl
6th July 2009, 23:57
I always got the impression that rallying or atleast rally marshalling was all about driving into the stage and waiting hours for the cars to turn up, watching said cars go past and then waiting more hours before you can drive out. There may also be the occassional bit of greenery alteration so the photos don't get ruined but walking....surely not? :s :p

MrJan
7th July 2009, 00:05
I always got the impression that rallying or atleast rally marshalling was all about driving into the stage and waiting hours for the cars to turn up, watching said cars go past and then waiting more hours before you can drive out. There may also be the occassional bit of greenery alteration so the photos don't get ruined but walking....surely not? :s :p

There speaks someone who hasn't walked for miles along a stage to find a good spot :p : You'd be surprised how much exercise you can get at a rally, especially something like the Wyedean or Somerset Stages where you need to hurry to try and see the cars as many times as possible. I think that the Wyedean is possibly the only time in the year that I run and it's all because the schedule is a bit tight :D

Marshalling is probably different but it's not something I really do, I generally struggle to commit to events and on the few ocassions I get to a rally I'd rather not be limited in what I see, in fact Goodwood last weekend was the first time that I've been a marshal (except at a single venue event to get around insurance rules :D )

J4MIE
7th July 2009, 00:54
Ahhhh whereas when you are a photographer you have to hold a camera most of the time, and everyone knows that you need a mars bar to recover after making the effort to shout at the marshal intruding into the photos :s

Garry Walker
9th July 2009, 15:19

christ, who on earth wants to run a marathon or run at all. The most boring kind of exercise in the world, in my view.

I am still the same as always. Weightlifting 3-4 times a week and cycling as often as weather permits.

No set targets anymore, just enjoying the improvements.

GridGirl
9th July 2009, 17:03
Everyone is different. I happen to find doing weights the most boring exercise of all. I generally force myself to do them rather than actually liking or wanting to to them. Mind you, I can only run more than 10km if there's something good on tv. Otherwise 10km is about my limit.

gloomyDAY
9th July 2009, 17:32
christ, who on earth wants to run a marathon or run at all. The most boring kind of exercise in the world, in my view.

I am still the same as always. Weightlifting 3-4 times a week and cycling as often as weather permits.

No set targets anymore, just enjoying the improvements.Why? Running a marathon is a massive challenge. I hate running too, but this will probably be my most agonizing physical challenge, ever!

I am also a weightlifter and used to wrestle. All of the sports that I love require quick spurts of energy and endurance running is the antitheses to my prior history in sports. I'm 5'10" (1.7m) @ 176 lbs. (79.8 kg) and am quite fit. The problem is that I'm not the correct proportion to run well at a marathon.

So, time to fix that with a 4-mile run. :D
Only 22.2 to go. :(

Garry Walker
15th July 2009, 16:35
Why? Running a marathon is a massive challenge. I hate running too, but this will probably be my most agonizing physical challenge, ever! It is a massive challenge, all I am saying is that just pure running is by far the most boring sporting thing

I am also a weightlifter and used to wrestle. All of the sports that I love require quick spurts of energy and endurance running is the antitheses to my prior history in sports. I'm 5'10" (1.7m) @ 176 lbs. (79.8 kg) and am quite fit. The problem is that I'm not the correct proportion to run well at a marathon.

79,8kg at 5 foot 10? That is quite light, are you sure you are a weightlifter :D

Hazell B
16th July 2009, 14:25
79,8kg at 5 foot 10? That is quite light, are you sure you are a weightlifter :D

I'm able to get a little over 35kg over my head and I'm a 5' 2", less than 9 stone, 41 year old woman who smokes! It's not weight lifting for fun, it's part of my general work, too. Never tried to push myself at weights as women have rubbish upper body strength and I'd end up feeling weak next to men :p :

Discovered last night how unfit I am. Tried out the new horse and she got a bit strong testing my boundries. She's about 720kg and knows how to use every muscle .... so I'm a bit sore today.
Mind you, I did get my own way without resorting to hitting her :D

gloomyDAY
17th July 2009, 02:36
Taz, I bought Superfeet today. I just need them for my dress shoes. Walking around in those things made my feet ACHE! When I run my running shoes offer enough stability/cushion for the long hauls.

It is a massive challenge, all I am saying is that just pure running is by far the most boring sporting thingI'm always thinking about something while running. I'm just waiting for the sun to set to be alone for another 5 miles. Last time I ran I just had The Who blasting all the way up and back.

79,8kg at 5 foot 10? That is quite light, are you sure you are a weightlifter :D Ask Tazio.

Tazio
17th July 2009, 08:13
79,8kg at 5 foot 10? That is quite light, are you sure you are a weightlifter

Ask Tazio.

We hooked up for the Brazil GP last season, and he told me he lifted.
But I just thought that was a come-on line. :eek: :laugh:

Seriously Bro, leave me out of this one as I'm not into checking out other dudes bod's. :s
Perhaps you should send Gary a portfolio if it's that important to you. :mark:

Brown, Jon Brow
17th July 2009, 14:24
I may be the only person here who wants to put on weight. I'm 6feet3 and weigh 150 pounds, so I believe my BMI is 18.75 which means i'm underweight.
I never miss a meal, I hardly get any exercise (although I have a standing up job) and I'm a weekend binge drinker.

I'd like to put on 2 stone, preferably muscle over fat :p . Any suggestions?

Brown, Jon Brow
17th July 2009, 14:48

Golf?? :p

Easy Drifter
17th July 2009, 17:58
When in High School I could do the 100 yards in 10.5.
At 71 I still can.
Only thing it is now 10.5 minutes instead of seconds. :D

gloomyDAY
17th July 2009, 21:18
Perhaps you should send Gary a portfolio if it's that important to you. :mark: lmfao!No thank you.

Hey I'll have Superfeet on today. Let me see how they work....

Tazio
17th July 2009, 21:55
Taz, I bought Superfeet today. I just need them for my dress shoes.
Walking around in those things made my feet ACHE!
When I run my running shoes offer enough stability/cushion for the long hauls.
Did you take the inserts out of the shoes before you put in the Supers'?
They shouldn't be uncomfortable at all. You can't use them in shoes that don't have inserts,
and you should definately be using them in your running shoes
Make sure you have the the hard plastic heel pieces in the correct shoe.
They look like the left should be the right and vise versa. They are marked on the bottom L/R
(you have to look closely) otherwise you would swear they should go the other way!

Hazell B
20th July 2009, 20:10

Seriously?
Besides the diet (and I know you're smart enough to know where you're going wrong there!) can I suggest you try gentle stuff rather than going hell for leather in a gym? Walking, carrying loads while strolling about (leg weights if you're wearing flares :p : ) and things like that have made me athletic-shaped yet not too much so. Put weight on me in the right way and right places, if you know what I mean.

Digging in the garden's about the best toning exercise I can think of after horse riding and sex. I'm very, very toned :D

Garry Walker
24th July 2009, 12:35
I'm able to get a little over 35kg over my head and I'm a 5' 2", less than 9 stone, 41 year old woman who smokes! It's not weight lifting for fun, it's part of my general work, too. Never tried to push myself at weights as women have rubbish upper body strength and I'd end up feeling weak next to men :p :

35 kg in that exercise is quite a good result for a woman, I have seen men struggle with a lesser weight.

Women have crappy upper body strength compared to men because men continously work out their chest and shoulders ( I mean, if some guy walks in the gym for the first time, he will most likely try bench pressing as the first exercise), whereas in all my years at various gyms, I have encountered very few women who do that

I may be the only person here who wants to put on weight. I'm 6feet3 and weigh 150 pounds, so I believe my BMI is 18.75 which means i'm underweight.
I never miss a meal, I hardly get any exercise (although I have a standing up job) and I'm a weekend binge drinker.

Join the gym. When I first joined a gym ages ago, I put on weight very quickly and it was not fat. But I never was as light as you to begin with anyway.

Being 150 pounds at that height - doesnt the wind knock you over?

Brown, Jon Brow
24th July 2009, 13:56
35 kg in that exercise is quite a good result for a woman, I have seen men struggle with a lesser weight.

Women have crappy upper body strength compared to men because men continously work out their chest and shoulders ( I mean, if some guy walks in the gym for the first time, he will most likely try bench pressing as the first exercise), whereas in all my years at various gyms, I have encountered very few women who do that

Join the gym. When I first joined a gym ages ago, I put on weight very quickly and it was not fat. But I never was as light as you to begin with anyway.

Being 150 pounds at that height - doesnt the wind knock you over?

I've started using weights at home, and yes, the wind does blow me over :(

GridGirl
24th July 2009, 14:40
Have you tried drinking those protein shakes that you see in health shops?

Brown, Jon Brow
24th July 2009, 14:54
Have you tried drinking those protein shakes that you see in health shops?

No. I have a friend who was a similar size to me and wanted to gain weight before he joined the Army. He tried to use those protein shakes and they did nothing.

gloomyDAY
24th July 2009, 18:12
No. I have a friend who was a similar size to me and wanted to gain weight before he joined the Army. He tried to use those protein shakes and they did nothing.1) Eat more red meat & proteins. Just make sure that you're grilling the meat rather than using a frying pan.

2) Start lifting weights. Lift heavy and lift hard!

3) Limit alcohol consumption - not because of caloric content but because your body becomes dehydrated when you drink too much.

4) Run short distances, but at a fast pace. This will help you develop heavier muscle and cut down on fat.

Garry Walker
3rd August 2009, 19:30

But not at the beginning, or you will rape your joints.

The key is starting with more repetitions, so that you perfect your technique and your body gets used to weights and then slowly increase the weight you exercise with and lower the amount of reps you do.
3 or 4 series is fine, if one targets mass gain, then around 8 reps per series would be suitable.

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd August 2009, 23:08
1) Eat more red meat & proteins. Just make sure that you're grilling the meat rather than using a frying pan.

3) Limit alcohol consumption - not because of caloric content but because your body becomes dehydrated when you drink too much.

4) Run short distances, but at a fast pace. This will help you develop heavier muscle and cut down on fat.

Doesn't red meat actually take up a lot of calories to digest it?

gloomyDAY
4th August 2009, 01:35
Doesn't red meat actually take up a lot of calories to digest it?Compared to meat with less saturated fat, such as tuna, yes. But I don't think that will be a problem in your case. Red meat is loaded with creatine which will help you attain more muscle mass. Also, notice that I suggested you eat more red meat and not just red meat. Eat a lot of fish or fish oil after a hard workout to have faster muscle recovery.

Garry has a good point about starting slow on the weights and perfecting your technique. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped into a gym with a guy benching 200lbs with smaller chest muscles than I. My bench is only 145-150lbs range, but I work the chest properly. One more thing, unless you want your arms to feel like lead the next day just take it easy and build up on weights.

If you want to have ripping muscles, then it's more weight with less reps. If you want lean muscles, then it's more reps with less weight.

GridGirl
6th August 2009, 23:28
I'm a little bored of the weights I do at the gym to tone up. I'm going to book myself into a power plate class and see if this recent celebrity fitness craze is any good. If the claims that 15 minutes on a power plate us like 60 minutes in the gym I might think about doing it on a more regular basis.

gloomyDAY
9th August 2009, 19:46
I'm a little bored of the weights I do at the gym to tone up. I'm going to book myself into a power plate class and see if this recent celebrity fitness craze is any good. If the claims that 15 minutes on a power plate us like 60 minutes in the gym I might think about doing it on a more regular basis.Do it! Post pics of before and after shots.

GridGirl
9th August 2009, 22:26
I don't think 60 minutes on a power plate will show any noticeable difference. :p

gloomyDAY
9th August 2009, 22:51
I don't think 60 minutes on a power plate will show any noticeable difference. :p Post pics anyway.

slinkster
10th August 2009, 20:15
Walking has really toned up my legs and bum which I'm pleased about- but I need to tone up my arms. I have some little weights for when I'm jogging or o my step machine, but other than the odd pilates I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping playing on the wii counts as exercise :)

Brown, Jon Brow
10th August 2009, 22:55
I don't think 60 minutes on a power plate will show any noticeable difference. :p

Post pics anyway.

We just want to see your body! :p

GridGirl
11th August 2009, 09:27
Dunno why Jon, but I thought I'd post a picture anyway. ;) :p

Garry Walker
12th August 2009, 11:15
Garry has a good point about starting slow on the weights and perfecting your technique. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped into a gym with a guy benching 200lbs with smaller chest muscles than I. My bench is only 145-150lbs range, but I work the chest properly. One more thing, unless you want your arms to feel like lead the next day just take it easy and build up on weights.

Well, the size of your chest muscles only is not enough to indicate how much you can bench. I have seen little guys bench 110 kg with ease (with proper technique and none of the lets arch our backs 20 cms off the bench crap) and guys much bigger struggle getting anywhere near that.

The exercises where so many people "cheat" and dont do them correctly are for example lateral pull downs and also anything to do with biceps.

How long have you benched for?

gloomyDAY
12th August 2009, 19:03
Dunno why Jon, but I thought I'd post a picture anyway. ;) :p You call that a picture?

:rolleyes: Tease.

Well, the size of your chest muscles only is not enough to indicate how much you can bench. I have seen little guys bench 110 kg with ease (with proper technique and none of the lets arch our backs 20 cms off the bench crap) and guys much bigger struggle getting anywhere near that.

The exercises where so many people "cheat" and dont do them correctly are for example lateral pull downs and also anything to do with biceps.

How long have you benched for?I've been hitting the chest for the past 9 months. I found a few online videos from a professional body builder, Milos Sarcev, and have seen a big difference in my chest muscles.

If anyone is interested: http://thefitshow.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:episode3&catid=5:s%20eason1&Itemid=69

52Paddy
12th August 2009, 22:09
I've been trying to get into shape over the past year. I did a year of pusbike couriering and have lost a lot of weight. I'm quite pleased with my current weight (11-12 stone; about 6 foot tall.) My legs are in good shape from the cycling but I have been wanting to build muscle on my biceps. Thats were I lack big time.

I have a set of dumbells which I'm starting to use but don't really know how to approach it. I've been doing 30 reps on each arm with a 4.7kg weight. This is about as far as I can go without pushing myself to go uncomfortabely further. I don't want to injure myself early on! According to my brother, who has been lifting weights for a few years and used to do body-building, its important to work your tricep too. The bicep and tricep work in pairs so you need to build them evenly.

Has anyone any advice then?

Brown, Jon Brow
12th August 2009, 22:32
I've been trying to get into shape over the past year. I did a year of pusbike couriering and have lost a lot of weight. I'm quite pleased with my current weight (11-12 stone; about 6 foot tall.) My legs are in good shape from the cycling but I have been wanting to build muscle on my biceps. Thats were I lack big time.

I have a set of dumbells which I'm starting to use but don't really know how to approach it. I've been doing 30 reps on each arm with a 4.7kg weight. This is about as far as I can go without pushing myself to go uncomfortabely further. I don't want to injure myself early on! According to my brother, who has been lifting weights for a few years and used to do body-building, its important to work your tricep too. The bicep and tricep work in pairs so you need to build them evenly.

4.7kg sounds quite light. I have 9.2 Kg on my Dumbells and I do 2 sets of 20reps. I don't like any of the Tricep exercises I've tried. Do Push-ups work your Triceps?

Garry Walker
13th August 2009, 12:22
I've been hitting the chest for the past 9 months. I found a few online videos from a professional body builder, Milos Sarcev, and have seen a big difference in my chest muscles.
I see. I thought you would be able to bench a bit more, but if you have done it for 9 months then that is an okay result.

If anyone is interested: http://thefitshow.tv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:episode3&catid=5:s%20eason1&Itemid=69
I will give it a look.

Why would you injure yourself? You need to understand what kind of pain you have when you are donig those exercises. If you have pain in your joints or wrists, then that issue you needs to be solved, for example with more warmup for wrists. Joints are always a different matter. But if you have muscle pain, the right pain, from the difficulty of the exercise then there is no danger of injury, but rather you are doing something right and giving your muscles a good workout. So in that case you should push yourself more. Just doing 30 reps without going further than that is not really worthwhile, because you need to push yourself. So you could do still the same amount of reps, just with lower pace and better technique or just go for more series and more reps per series. That said, for example I never do more than 8 reps per any series for biceps workout.

As for triceps, good old fashioned pushups are good enough, but there are other ones you can do. With your dumbbells, what you could do for example is find a bench (or you can do it on the floor even, no difference) and put your knees on ground, then put your weight on one arm and grab a dumbbell with your other arm and start straightning that arm backwards (if this makes sense, I cant explain it better). If you do it slowly and properly, it gives quite a good workout.

Brown, Jon Brow
13th August 2009, 14:25
As for triceps, good old fashioned pushups are good enough, but there are other ones you can do. With your dumbbells, what you could do for example is find a bench (or you can do it on the floor even, no difference) and put your knees on ground, then put your weight on one arm and grab a dumbbell with your other arm and start straightning that arm backwards (if this makes sense, I cant explain it better). If you do it slowly and properly, it gives quite a good workout.

The one I use for triceps is on a bench, you have the barbell above your ahead, and then straighten your arms backwards. I much prefer push-ups though, but because I'm so light they aren't very difficult.

52Paddy
13th August 2009, 14:29
4.7kg sounds quite light. I have 9.2 Kg on my Dumbells and I do 2 sets of 20reps. I don't like any of the Tricep exercises I've tried. Do Push-ups work your Triceps?

I guess it is light. Though they were just dumbells I had around the house. Thats the heaviest out of a set of 3 :s

Why would you injure yourself? You need to understand what kind of pain you have when you are donig those exercises. If you have pain in your joints or wrists, then that issue you needs to be solved, for example with more warmup for wrists. Joints are always a different matter. But if you have muscle pain, the right pain, from the difficulty of the exercise then there is no danger of injury, but rather you are doing something right and giving your muscles a good workout. So in that case you should push yourself more. Just doing 30 reps without going further than that is not really worthwhile, because you need to push yourself. So you could do still the same amount of reps, just with lower pace and better technique or just go for more series and more reps per series. That said, for example I never do more than 8 reps per any series for biceps workout.

I don't complain of any current pain. It was always my assumption that stretching a muscle too much could damage it. I remember I had muscle pain before and it didn't go away for a few days. I thought I'd done something wrong but if it gives them a good workout, its nothing to worry about. Am I following you correctly? :confused:

I'll try pushups. I was already doing a version of your second exercise. Except I wasn't lying down. I was standing up and lifting the weight vertical. I usually look in a mirror to make sure its properly vertical (my arm). But the two you suggested sound more fool proof. Cheers :)

Garry Walker
13th August 2009, 15:44
The one I use for triceps is on a bench, you have the barbell above your ahead, and then straighten your arms backwards. I much prefer push-ups though, but because I'm so light they aren't very difficult.

Do you mean French Press? or are you not lying down? I always had problems with that exercise, because my elbows did not like it. But its a useful exercise.

You have access to gym, right? In that case there are so many machines there that you can use for triceps that you dont really need to do pushups.
Or the alternative is that you just put some weight on your back and try to do pushups then. Almost like adding a weight to yourself before trying to do pull-ups.

I don't complain of any current pain. It was always my assumption that stretching a muscle too much could damage it. I remember I had muscle pain before and it didn't go away for a few days. I thought I'd done something wrong but if it gives them a good workout, its nothing to worry about. Am I following you correctly? :confused:
Well, here you need to understand the pain and I suppose if you are not experienced you want to avoid pain. Lets say you are doing an exercise for triceps. In the middle of it, you start to feel a really weird feeling in your triceps, like they want to explode and there is pain. In that case, keep going, you are working the muscle well. Dont give up. If you have a bit of soreness the next day, that is good too. Means you have worked your muscles. But if you are doing an exercise for biceps and feel that your shoulder is hurting, then stop. You are obviously doing something wrong or you have an injury somewhere. Obviously, I cannot feel your pain so i cannot tell you if what you are experiencing was just normal after a good workout or a little injury, but if the muscle group that you worked out is the one that is causing pain, then there is a good chance you just have soreness and it will go away soon and you should be happy.
I remember when I first did some exercises for shoulders and my body was not used to that at all, the next 3 days I was in such pain that I thought I had really messed up my body bigtime. I couldnt move my head almost at all. But then it went away and the next time it was lesser and as the body got used to it, it never was like that again. Just a bit of soreness the next day.
But of course, when one gets more seriously into training, little injures and little pain will always be a part of it. Just comes with the territory.

I'll try pushups. I was already doing a version of your second exercise. Except I wasn't lying down. I was standing up and lifting the weight vertical. I usually look in a mirror to make sure its properly vertical (my arm). But the two you suggested sound more fool proof. Cheers :)

Pushups are a fool-proof method to get fitter when you dont have gym access. They work your body well, but just remember, dont start doing 50 pushups at once, always warm up a bit before starting.

52Paddy
13th August 2009, 16:10
Well, here you need to understand the pain and I suppose if you are not experienced you want to avoid pain. Lets say you are doing an exercise for triceps. In the middle of it, you start to feel a really weird feeling in your triceps, like they want to explode and there is pain. In that case, keep going, you are working the muscle well. Dont give up. If you have a bit of soreness the next day, that is good too. Means you have worked your muscles. But if you are doing an exercise for biceps and feel that your shoulder is hurting, then stop. You are obviously doing something wrong or you have an injury somewhere. Obviously, I cannot feel your pain so i cannot tell you if what you are experiencing was just normal after a good workout or a little injury, but if the muscle group that you worked out is the one that is causing pain, then there is a good chance you just have soreness and it will go away soon and you should be happy.
I remember when I first did some exercises for shoulders and my body was not used to that at all, the next 3 days I was in such pain that I thought I had really messed up my body bigtime. I couldnt move my head almost at all. But then it went away and the next time it was lesser and as the body got used to it, it never was like that again. Just a bit of soreness the next day.
But of course, when one gets more seriously into training, little injures and little pain will always be a part of it. Just comes with the territory.

I follow. I never realised that before about muscle pain. I'll keep on top of it.

Pushups are a fool-proof method to get fitter when you dont have gym access. They work your body well, but just remember, dont start doing 50 pushups at once, always warm up a bit before starting.

Ok. I understand how important a warmup. I used to do an IT Band stretch in the morning but only after I cycled into work. I've read and heard from people that it is not good to wake up and start stretching a 'cold' muscle. Some light warmup before hand is always recommended.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th January 2010, 15:37
I just went for a run for the first time in a long time and now I feel ill. :(

52Paddy
20th January 2010, 19:24
I just went for a run for the first time in a long time and now I feel ill. :(

Was it freezing? Were you wearing suitable clothing?

MrJan
20th January 2010, 19:34
I had a crack on the exercise bike last night and plan to again tonight. I've really let myself go (even more than when I was 16st 9). I'm cutting back on the beer and trying to get on the bike a bit more often. At the minute it's about doing stuff to lose weight and get a bit of my lung capacity back.

52Paddy
20th January 2010, 19:50
Well I had my bike messenger job back for the past 7 weeks so that's being keeping me active during the day. It's back to college on Sunday however and feel the lazy student lifestyle will drag me back in if I'm not careful over the next few months :(

:p :

Brown, Jon Brow
21st January 2010, 15:30
Was it freezing? Were you wearing suitable clothing?

Is wasn't the cold that made me feel ill but the breathlessness. I really want to build up my lung capacity.

janneppi
21st January 2010, 17:17
I've been skii-ing this winter, got a few exercises last March, but this winter the weather has been mostly agreeable, unless it's -20C like the past two days. I'm slowly getting to point where I can't do a 10 km exercises and not feel like I'm dying after that for the rest of the day. 1 hour with 160bpm average heart rate and a peak rate of 189 isn't yet fun though. :)

Daniel
21st January 2010, 17:20
I've been skii-ing this winter, got a few exercises last March, but this winter the weather has been mostly agreeable, unless it's -20C like the past two days. I'm slowly getting to point where I can't do a 10 km exercises and not feel like I'm dying after that for the rest of the day. 1 hour with 160bpm average heart rate and a peak rate of 189 isn't yet fun though. :)

You still riding your bike?

janneppi
21st January 2010, 17:24
Yeah, I did manage to get something done with the bike this summer. It helped a lot with skiing compared to the previous year when I had barely 100km on a bike.

52Paddy
21st January 2010, 20:58
Is wasn't the cold that made me feel ill but the breathlessness. I really want to build up my lung capacity.

Do you smoke? Or do you play a wind instrument? I do both which kind of qualifies my lung capacity :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
21st January 2010, 23:44
Do you smoke? Or do you play a wind instrument? I do both which kind of qualifies my lung capacity :p :

Don't smoke or blow an instrument.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd January 2010, 15:56
I might try and aim for Army levels of fitness. So would this be a 1.5mile run in 12minutes followed by 50 push-ups in 2minutes?

Any soldiers out there?

airshifter
24th January 2010, 06:33
I might try and aim for Army levels of fitness. So would this be a 1.5mile run in 12minutes followed by 50 push-ups in 2minutes?

Any soldiers out there?

I think they do 2 miles, and it depends on if you look at minimum scores as compared to good scores. They are also age based.

Even the woman Marines have to run 3 miles now. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
25th January 2010, 16:31
I think they do 2 miles, and it depends on if you look at minimum scores as compared to good scores. They are also age based.

Even the woman Marines have to run 3 miles now. ;)

I know for entry in the British Army it is 1.5miles. It might be two miles for the US Army.

Running whilst listening to heavy rock music boosts your adrenaline. Listening to Rage Against the Machine and Muse on todays run helped me improve my PB by 20 seconds!

Brown, Jon Brow
29th January 2010, 18:58
I ran my mile today in 6:08 (20seconds better than my PB) then I threw up. :(

airshifter
30th January 2010, 07:09
I ran my mile today in 6:08 (20seconds better than my PB) then I threw up. :(

:laugh:

Back off if it's making you puke. Seriously. Even if your fitness level is high enough to get great times, running is all about proper pacing. People use all kinds of methods to train for certain paces, and without doing that it's tough.

Garry Walker
2nd February 2010, 08:39

Any soldiers out there?

50 push-ups in 2 minutes is a joke, anyone can do that. I refuse to believe the army has such low standards.

GridGirl
2nd February 2010, 09:59
I was going to say you were being a bit harsh Garry, but then I thought about it and without training I could get very close to that in 2 minutes myself.

Brown, Jon Brow
2nd February 2010, 14:13
50 push-ups in 2 minutes is a joke, anyone can do that. I refuse to believe the army has such low standards.

I think it isn't an actual requirement but more of a test to check what state you are in.

MrJan
8th February 2010, 17:29
I fear that I may have made a terrible mistake. In a short lived idea for getting fit I expressed an interest in joining a 5-a-side team.........my first game is Wednesday :S I tried to warn them that I don't play football, never have and am also fat and lazy. Seems it didn't wash so tonight I have to buy some bloody astro turf boots :laugh:

Garry Walker
16th February 2010, 14:34
I think it isn't an actual requirement but more of a test to check what state you are in.
If you cannot do 50 pushups in 2 minutes, you are more suited for fat-camp.

MrJan
16th February 2010, 16:33
If you cannot do 50 pushups in 2 minutes, you are more suited for fat-camp.

I'd argue with that. While it may be true of me now I used to be reasonably unfit but I have never done 50 push ups, let alone in 2 minutes. I'm fairly unfit now but used to ride several miles on my bike everyday and walk a similar distance 5 times a week or so. Because I mostly did walking I was fairly fit but had no upper body strength (quite a lot of strength in my legs though).

IMO push ups are largely pointless for me, I sit at a desk all day and choose to ride my bike as exercise, for that reason having muscle in my legs is far more important than having upper body.

For my gentle (ish) nurse back to some kind of fitness I played 6 a-side last week and by Friday my quads were tighter than a tight thing. Lots of walking watching the Wyedean Rally helped loosed them up and I'm feeling okay again ready for another game on Wednesday. I've also realised that riding my bike has done wonders for my thighs and calfs but my quad muscles are largely unused :laugh:

Garry Walker
17th February 2010, 11:10
I'd argue with that. While it may be true of me now I used to be reasonably unfit but I have never done 50 push ups, let alone in 2 minutes. I'm fairly unfit now but used to ride several miles on my bike everyday and walk a similar distance 5 times a week or so. Because I mostly did walking I was fairly fit but had no upper body strength (quite a lot of strength in my legs though).

IMO push ups are largely pointless for me, I sit at a desk all day and choose to ride my bike as exercise, for that reason having muscle in my legs is far more important than having upper body.

One should train all parts of his body at least a little. The most seen case amongst men usually is that they train their biceps and chest and that is it. Nothing with legs or abs, backs get very little attention too.

If you practise pushups for a little bit, then doing 50 in 2 minutes will be very easy.

MrJan
17th February 2010, 11:36
One should train all parts of his body at least a little. The most seen case amongst men usually is that they train their biceps and chest and that is it. Nothing with legs or abs, backs get very little attention too.

If you have a good recovery rate and concentrate on cardio vascular I don't see why muscle tone is important unless you actually use it.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th March 2010, 15:32
I been doing about 100 sit ups a day for a few weeks. I almost have a six pack!

gloomyDAY
1st April 2010, 00:06
Let's do it people! I just came back from a trip to Colombia and lost weight! I couldn't believe it. I was cramming my face full of empanadas and running around like maniac, yet I still managed to go from 171 down to 168. Anyway, I just weighed in after a big meal and am at 169. Not too bad.

I been doing about 100 sit ups a day for a few weeks. I almost have a six pack!Woot! Getting a six-pack was my hardest achievement, in terms of physical aesthetics. Keep up the good work my man. Just remember a few key things: lay off the red meat (stick to chicken and fish), eat more antioxidants, and cardio is king.

Garry Walker
1st April 2010, 12:03
Let's do it people! I just came back from a trip to Colombia and lost weight! I couldn't believe it. I was cramming my face full of empanadas and running around like maniac, yet I still managed to go from 171 down to 168. Anyway, I just weighed in after a big meal and am at 169. Not too bad. LIGHTWEIGHT!

Woot! Getting a six-pack was my hardest achievement, in terms of physical aesthetics. Keep up the good work my man. Just remember a few key things: lay off the red meat (stick to chicken and fish), eat more antioxidants, and cardio is king.

I could never give up red meat, just not possible.

janneppi
1st April 2010, 14:00
Skiing season just might be over, today the track was too soft in many places. Three and half months, 470km and heartrate monitor data shows i have improved my fitness. :)

Next week is cycling season. Might have to do a 10km time trial test to see if I'm still beaten by 13 year old girls. :D

GridGirl
2nd April 2010, 18:02
I just completed a red cycle route. I thought my fitness was seriously shot near the end. It knew my brakes needed looking at but it was only when I finished that I realised my rear brakes had been stuck on. Red routes are classed as being difficult. No sh** they are difficult with your brakes locked on. I just thought I'd become really unfit. Panic over. :)

gloomyDAY
3rd April 2010, 08:41
LIGHTWEIGHT!I'm drowning in your tears of envy. :)

I'll start my cut next Monday because I need to be fit for the military.

Garry Walker
6th April 2010, 10:11
I'm drowning in your tears of envy. :)

The only tears of envy will be when we go to gym together and I lift weights three times bigger than you :D

GridGirl
6th April 2010, 10:57
Do you train your entire body? There are plenty of blokes in my gym that only train thier upper body and can lift huge weights. As they don't train their lower body they have weedy little legs and never wear shorts. Always makes me chuckle as they just look weird. :s

bluegem280
6th April 2010, 11:16
lol, get used to going home on foot, no need to train the little legs :D

Brown, Jon Brow
6th April 2010, 13:30
I think my exercise regime is being hampered by my drinking regime

MrJan
6th April 2010, 14:01
I think my exercise regime is being hampered by my drinking regime

When I was at Uni I used my drinking regime as part of my exercise regime. I developed what I called 'the Cider and Pork Chop Diet' which basically stemmed from me being too lazy to cook anything other than toast and pork chops, and Strongbow being 3 quid for 16 gallons (or summint). The excessive drinking meant lots of walking to and from town and the lack of a decent meal meant I lost weight.

For those worried that the diet wasn't balanced I can assure you that I took the precaution of eating a Snickers bar every now and then. Snickers are useful because they have each of the food types, protein, fats, water, nougat and chocolate.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th April 2010, 14:44
When I was at Uni I used my drinking regime as part of my exercise regime. I developed what I called 'the Cider and Pork Chop Diet' which basically stemmed from me being too lazy to cook anything other than toast and pork chops, and Strongbow being 3 quid for 16 gallons (or summint). The excessive drinking meant lots of walking to and from town and the lack of a decent meal meant I lost weight.

For those worried that the diet wasn't balanced I can assure you that I took the precaution of eating a Snickers bar every now and then. Snickers are useful because they have each of the food types, protein, fats, water, nougat and chocolate.

Well not being from the south west I don't drink cider, but technically with the amount of sit-ups i've been doing I should have a ripped 6 pack. Sadly, a few gallons of Guinness a week mean my sit ups are only slowing down the development of a beer belly.

Garry Walker
6th April 2010, 23:37
Do you train your entire body? There are plenty of blokes in my gym that only train thier upper body and can lift huge weights. As they don't train their lower body they have weedy little legs and never wear shorts. Always makes me chuckle as they just look weird. :s

Yes, I train my legs too.
My exercise method is based around the 4 most important compound exercises (bench press, squat, deadlift and military press), so all parts of body will be worked throughout the week. That said, if I was to rate my body parts based on strength, legs would probably come last, as because of some knee problems I dont concentrate on legs as much as I should/could.

I think most men primarly concentrate on chest (bench press) and biceps, leaving other parts of the body untrained (legs and lower back probably suffer the most). I see it at my gym all the time. Every guy must do bench press it seems, but I rarely see guys do deadlift and military press. Of course, women easily could also do those 4 compound exercises, but they rarely do. Which is really a shame, because they are good for the body and there is no logical reason why females shouldnt do them.

Garry Walker
6th April 2010, 23:40
Well not being from the south west I don't drink cider, but technically with the amount of sit-ups i've been doing I should have a ripped 6 pack. Sadly, a few gallons of Guinness a week mean my sit ups are only slowing down the development of a beer belly.

You can do as many sit-ups as you want, but if you are overweight, the muscles will never show (even if in theory you have pretty good abs). So if you want a six-pack, then stop drinking that piss (I mean, guinness out of all beers? Do you have no taste at all?)

52Paddy
7th April 2010, 02:06
Did a quick 20k cycle today since I brought my bike back to college. Will be going back working as a courier in May so want to get back into the swing of things. I'm also making an effort not to order so much take-away and eat healthier. :)

MrJan
7th April 2010, 11:22
You can do as many sit-ups as you want, but if you are overweight, the muscles will never show (even if in theory you have pretty good abs). So if you want a six-pack, then stop drinking that piss (I mean, guinness out of all beers? Do you have no taste at all?)

Guinness is a good choice seeing as most bars have either lager or John Smiths on tap

Brown, Jon Brow
7th April 2010, 13:46

Well i'm closer to being underweight actually. And what's wrong with Guinness? :p

Guinness is a good choice seeing as most bars have either lager or John Smiths on tap

The bar I watched the football in last night gave the choice of about 8 lagers, Tetleys, John Smith and Guinness. I ended up drinking Frulli last night. :beer:

Garry Walker
7th April 2010, 20:19
Well i'm closer to being underweight actually. And what's wrong with Guinness? :p

Guinness is awful. I have tasted that piss once in my life and it was enough for me to never try it again.

donKey jote
7th April 2010, 20:25
You can do as many sit-ups as you want, but if you are overweight, the muscles will never show (even if in theory you have pretty good abs).

yep... my muscles are still there, I just can´t see them anymore :p

52Paddy
8th April 2010, 11:51
Guinness is awful. I have tasted that piss once in my life and it was enough for me to never try it again.

Nothing like a good pint though. It's a risk, but if I get a bad pint I'll just complain and tell them to sort it out.

MrJan
8th April 2010, 12:25

Acquired taste really, can be very refreshing. Depends on what you usually drink too, if you're a lager man then Guinness will probably taste too strong, whereas if you're partial to a few ales then it's just something else to try.

Garry Walker
8th April 2010, 13:41
Acquired taste really, can be very refreshing. Depends on what you usually drink too, if you're a lager man then Guinness will probably taste too strong, whereas if you're partial to a few ales then it's just something else to try.

I prefer a good brandy to be honest, I rarely drink beer.

gloomyDAY
14th April 2010, 20:35
I am taking better care of myself now and am maintaining a balanced diet. I will be leaving for Vancouver tomorrow for a few days, so I hope I can keep my momentum and not stuff my mouth!

Glad you guys brought up the topic of working out your legs. Time and time again I see fat dudes at the gym with huge arms, a gut, and chicken legs. Work out your legs people! It's easy and you can really feel a difference after a few weeks of consistent training. Here's a site that can give you ideas on how to train your legs (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html). Remember to leave your ego at the door and work on technique (can't stress this enough), then steadily increase weight.

OK. Enough talk, time to run!

I prefer a good brandy to be honest, I rarely drink beer.I think I know a beer that can change your mind.

Stone Brewing Company (San Diego, CA) - Arrogant B@stard

I love it, and I hate that piss water everyone else seems to enjoy.

Garry Walker
15th April 2010, 00:35
I am taking better care of myself now and am maintaining a balanced diet. I will be leaving for Vancouver tomorrow for a few days, so I hope I can keep my momentum and not stuff my mouth!

Glad you guys brought up the topic of working out your legs. Time and time again I see fat dudes at the gym with huge arms, a gut, and chicken legs. Work out your legs people! It's easy and you can really feel a difference after a few weeks of consistent training. Here's a site that can give you ideas on how to train your legs (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html). Remember to leave your ego at the door and work on technique (can't stress this enough), then steadily increase weight.

I see skinny guys doing leg presses with 250 kg, but the amplitude of their leg movement is almost non-existant and they always lock their knees (good luck trying to walk at 40), it is quite sad to watch people put their egos in front of their health.

I think I know a beer that can change your mind.

Stone Brewing Company (San Diego, CA) - Arrogant B@stard

I love it, and I hate that piss water everyone else seems to enjoy.I would love to drink beer named after myself :D

If I ever arrive somewhere in California, the beer`s on me :D

Brown, Jon Brow
15th June 2010, 23:27
I'd like to go for a run where I don't get chased by cows :mad:

fandango
15th June 2010, 23:33
I'd like to go for a run where I don't get chased by cows :mad:

Go to Pamplona, around July 7th, and you can be chased by bulls instead :)

Daniel
15th June 2010, 23:39
The bull run is on my birthday? Cooooool

janneppi
27th August 2010, 09:24
Now that summer is almost over it's time to recap how miserably one failed at keeping in shape. :D
I rode about half what I inteted on the road bike, at the moment only about 1100km. No running at all until yesterday when I did the Cooper test for the first time in ten years, 2400m isn't very inspiring. :(

On the positive side of cycling I did improve my 10km time trial time for about 30 seconds between early June and last week, but that's mostly due to a new rear wheel and much better tires.

And there's a chance I might start thinking about concidering to get a new mountain bike to replace the one I haven't ridden in five years. :D

gloomyDAY
28th August 2010, 08:00
I'm glad somebody bumped this thread.

All I managed to do during summer was get skinny and I lost a lot of my muscle mass. This is mostly due to the fact that I run a lot more than I ever have, thanks to the Army, and I haven't lifted weights since May. I feel and look good, but I'd rather bulk up again and get that "cut" body I once had.

Wish me luck! I'll start lifting this following week once again and going strong until the rest of the year.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th August 2010, 19:52
I've not done any upper body exercise for months. I have been running at least 5 miles per week and playing a football match every week.

I'm really enjoying my running and I wish I could do it more often, but my joints and shins can't seem to take it.

Drew
29th August 2010, 22:16
My excercise regime has been severly disrupted because my body seems to think I am about 50. Every joint in my body seems to be going and even doing push ups makes me feel like my wrist is going to brake. I played some beach hockey on saturday and I feel incredibly stiff. Oh dear.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd August 2011, 14:57
BUMP

Just found this post from 2 years ago

I've just weighed myself and I'm now 151 pounds :mad:

Maybe I'm just at my optimum weight?

My biggest problem is sticking to a fitness regime. I usually do a month of a fitness plan, don't see any gains and give it up. Currently I have a low intensity plan because I think that is much more achievable and I'm more likely to stick to it.

Currently:
About 50 press-ups per day, 6 days a week
10 diamond press-ups per day, 6 days a week
2 minutes in the plank position every other day
30 crunches per day, 3 days per week
One session of 20 Biceps curls and bench presses once a week
One 2 mile run at least once a week
A 40 minute football game once a week

I don't have any ambitions to be ripped, hence no gym work. Fitness and cardio is much more important to me.

J4MIE
23rd August 2011, 23:50
I can't put any weight on at all, no matter how much rubbish I eat and little exercise I do :s I do want to be fitter though and since February have been swimming for 30ish mins each weekday morning before work, which has been good but I still have no muscles or stamina :s I did try to go up Ben Nevis 3 weeks ago and it took me a week before I could walk up or down stairs without being in pain :bigcry:

May joing the local gym and do some different exercise rather than swimming all the time, but it's cheap and convenient.

Daniel
24th August 2011, 00:16
I can't put any weight on at all, no matter how much rubbish I eat and little exercise I do :s I do want to be fitter though and since February have been swimming for 30ish mins each weekday morning before work, which has been good but I still have no muscles or stamina :s I did try to go up Ben Nevis 3 weeks ago and it took me a week before I could walk up or down stairs without being in pain :bigcry:

Just doing the brakes on the 500 yesterday made me walk like John Wayne today......

GridGirl
24th August 2011, 08:30
I swim, walk, hike and ride both my mountain bike and my new road bike on a regular if not daily basis. Im thinking of joining a gym this winter though. Rather annoyingly I'm way behind on my personal target of completeing 300km's worth of exercise this month. After going ankle deep in a bog two weekends ago when mountain biking I had to purchase new cycling shoes to go road cycling the next day. I picked up my new peddles from the post office this morning and hopefully I will be going clipless this weekend. It can only be a recipe for disaster. :uhoh:

raybak
24th August 2011, 15:22
Working on getting down to 80kg by the first round of the ARC next year. Just so i can fit in my super duper race suit :)

Have changed my whole diet and have lost 4kg over the last 6 weeks, doing a lot of walking and not so much time in front of the computer.

Body is starting to wake up get into the fitness thingo.

Ray

janneppi
24th August 2011, 16:12
I picked up my new peddles from the post office this morning and hopefully I will be going clipless this weekend. It can only be a recipe for disaster. :uhoh:

You don't have clipless pedals on your mountain bike? If not, don't worry, the learning curve isn't too bad. :) I wouldn't switch back to regular pedals anymore, cliplesses give a much more stable feel on the bike, especially when bunnyhopping a small kerb on a road bike at 35kph. :D

GridGirl
24th August 2011, 16:26
You don't have clipless pedals on your mountain bike? If not, don't worry, the learning curve isn't too bad. :) I wouldn't switch back to regular pedals anymore, cliplesses give a much more stable feel on the bike, especially when bunnyhopping a small kerb on a road bike at 35kph. :D

I've never had clipless pedals full stop. :s I'm going to learn to go clipless on my mountain bike as it has a much lower bar and far superior brakes. Once I've mastered using them on my mountain bike they will be switched to my road bike. I'd never even riden a road bike before I bought mine about a month ago so there was no way that I was going to go clipless straightaway on a bike with a racing position, high bar and really rubbish brakes. :p Don't think I fancy mountain biking clipless though. One X-ray after a fall this year was plenty enough for me. :)

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 21:45
A constant shoulder problem has stopped me from working out at my usual schedule for quite a while now, just doesn`t seem to want to go away. So my weight has dropped, I have lost muscle mass and I am far weaker than 2 years ago. Very frustrating.

BUMP

Just found this post from 2 years ago

I've just weighed myself and I'm now 151 pounds :mad:

Maybe I'm just at my optimum weight?

My biggest problem is sticking to a fitness regime. I usually do a month of a fitness plan, don't see any gains and give it up. Currently I have a low intensity plan because I think that is much more achievable and I'm more likely to stick to it.

Currently:
About 50 press-ups per day, 6 days a week
10 diamond press-ups per day, 6 days a week
2 minutes in the plank position every other day
30 crunches per day, 3 days per week
One session of 20 Biceps curls and bench presses once a week
One 2 mile run at least once a week
A 40 minute football game once a week

I don't have any ambitions to be ripped, hence no gym work. Fitness and cardio is much more important to me.
151 pounds at your height. START EATING FFS. That is not optimum weight for a man, no way.

Just doing the brakes on the 500 yesterday made me walk like John Wayne today......
Are you sure that is not because you had dunnell over last night? ;)

Daniel
24th August 2011, 21:46
Are you sure that is not because you had dunnell over last night? ;)

:laugh: No, definitely just because of doing the brakes :p

Brown, Jon Brow
24th August 2011, 21:49
151 pounds at your height. START EATING FFS. That is not optimum weight for a man, no way.

)

I eat way more calories than the reccommended daily intake for men. I just **** it all out.

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 22:06
Maybe it's just the weight you are meant to be Jon. I have weighed a kilo or so either side of 68kg since I left school which I just realised yesterday was 10 years ago :eek:

donKey jote
24th August 2011, 22:07
I just **** it all out.
so you're not full of crap then after all :p

Brown, Jon Brow
24th August 2011, 22:09
Maybe it's just the weight you are meant to be Jon. I have weighed a kilo or so either side of 68kg since I left school which I just realised yesterday was 10 years ago :eek:

In a recent family reunion I noticed that all my male blood relatives are taller than 6ft and are slim. The only exceptions being my father and my uncle, who used to be slim until they reached their 40's.

Garry Walker
24th August 2011, 22:20
I eat way more calories than the reccommended daily intake for men. I just **** it all out. Genetics then. I have a friend who drinks lots of beer every evening, eats fast food, doesnt work out, yet is skinny as a flagpole. But even he weighs far more than you.

FFS, you guys are men, how can you weigh so little?

Daniel
24th August 2011, 22:21
Genetics then. I have a friend who drinks lots of beer every evening, eats fast food, doesnt work out, yet is skinny as a flagpole. But even he weighs far more than you.

FFS, you guys are men, how can you weigh so little?

Believe me, J4mie eats enough! He just doesn't put weight on

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 22:43
In a recent family reunion I noticed that all my male blood relatives are taller than 6ft and are slim. The only exceptions being my father and my uncle, who used to be slim until they reached their 40's.

So...... I have about 15 years left then. I can deal with that :D

Brown, Jon Brow
24th August 2011, 22:44
So...... I have about 15 years left then. I can deal with that :D

You're a blood relative? :erm:

J4MIE
24th August 2011, 23:04
I don't think so, I have a line of royal ancestory back to Robert the Bruce (or so my sister tells me).

52Paddy
25th August 2011, 19:35
Here is a question for you fitness freaks (not related to fitness, more injury-related): I had an accident one week ago in which I tore the tendons or ligaments in my left shoulder. There has been an improvement in my movement since then. An x-ray confirmed that there were no breakages or fractures. However, I've been compromised from partaking in a lot of my regular activities e.g. my occupation as a bicycle courier has been a no-go area. I can reach the handlebars now but still find pain when the bag is on my back (that said, I am going into work tomorrow morning as a trial run to see how I manage). Driving is impossible as I can't reach the gearstick without excruciating pain. Playing instruments is possible now but still causes me some strain after about 30 minutes. The pain is manageable but I would need to take a 5 minute pause or so.

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my condition. How long can I expect before I am back to full strength? I have been advised by my GP to go for a physiotherapy session but, unfortunately, I can't afford to as I've been out of work and have no money for it currently. I have been prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets and gel which, admittedly, I've not been consistent with using, though I have restarted the routine and plan to take it more seriously until the course is finished.

Garry Walker
25th August 2011, 22:20
Here is a question for you fitness freaks (not related to fitness, more injury-related): I had an accident one week ago in which I tore the tendons or ligaments in my left shoulder. There has been an improvement in my movement since then. An x-ray confirmed that there were no breakages or fractures. However, I've been compromised from partaking in a lot of my regular activities e.g. my occupation as a bicycle courier has been a no-go area. I can reach the handlebars now but still find pain when the bag is on my back (that said, I am going into work tomorrow morning as a trial run to see how I manage). Driving is impossible as I can't reach the gearstick without excruciating pain. Playing instruments is possible now but still causes me some strain after about 30 minutes. The pain is manageable but I would need to take a 5 minute pause or so.

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my condition. How long can I expect before I am back to full strength? I have been advised by my GP to go for a physiotherapy session but, unfortunately, I can't afford to as I've been out of work and have no money for it currently. I have been prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets and gel which, admittedly, I've not been consistent with using, though I have restarted the routine and plan to take it more seriously until the course is finished.

It all depends on the severity of the injury, your general health and so on. If you want to see results and healing, YOU HAVE TO KEEP TAKING THE MEDICINE. Inconsistent taking of it is useless, you could just as well not bother taking it then. Keep taking it and keep taking it exactly the way the doctor told you. Dont miss a day. You miss a day and most of the work you have done will have been of no use.
It is impossible for me to tell you a lot without knowing your condition, but I can only recommend that you do a search for "rotator cuff muscles exercises". You should find examples what to do, where they explain it much better than I can. Remember, if you feel any pain doing those exercises, STOP at once. So probably at first just simple stretching might do the trick.
When will you be at full strength? Impossible to tell. But if you dont take your doctors orders and follow them precisely, then be prepared for a long period of hell.
If financially possible, try to work as little as possible. You have little to gain, but a lot to lose.

52Paddy
25th August 2011, 22:30
Thanks Garry.

GridGirl
25th August 2011, 22:34
I ripped ankle ligaments and all I can say is don't rush it. It took around 4 weeks for my swelling to down and it always seemed to stifen up over night so I was limping first thing in the morning. Its now three months on and I'm back to doing the exercise I could do before but rather annoyingly I still can't wear shoes with heels. I figure it's not worth pushing it to wear them as I know I'll only regret it later. Keep popping the pills, using the gels and try not to get too frustrated. :)

52Paddy
25th August 2011, 22:45
I'd say I'll visit a physio soon if I can scrape the funds together. It's such a frustration having this happen as I'm a busy, active person. But I guess I have to be patient.

Kallis
21st September 2011, 12:22
Hi all, it is cool thread, I have been facing the problem of fats and I am hoping to loose through exercise and diet.Please share and it is good thread here to discuss about health.Thanks.

GridGirl
21st September 2011, 13:14
I managed to achieve my 300km exercise target with 10 days to spare this month so I'm quite pleased with myself. However the 88km hilly bike ride I did on Sunday really hurt my legs. When you see V's on an OS map and road signs that have more than 10% gradient warnings you know you're going to have to put some effort in. :D

A.F.F.
24th September 2011, 00:11
Why I haven't noticed this thread ???? I started running last may and I have ran since like Forrest Gump. As stupid as it may sound, I love it. The best thing I've noticed is that I haven't suffered from serious migraine since. My stamina has way better and of course the pace is improving. But I'm still miles away what I want them to be. The last half-marathon I ran was 2.01.30 which isn't very good I know but the next goal is to get the time under two hours.

donKey jote
24th September 2011, 10:18
AFF = Another Fat Finn ? :p

janneppi
24th September 2011, 13:22
Weird thing, despite eating junk food too often and not doing much more than the three-four times a week commute on a bike, it seems I can fit into clothes that were too small a year ago.
I tried jogging a while ago with these hyped up barefoot shoes, man did my calves(?) get sore. It was oddly fun though. :D

A.F.F.
26th September 2011, 19:00
AFF = Another Fat Finn ? :p

:wave:

gloomyDAY
30th September 2011, 19:54
Why I haven't noticed this thread ???? I started running last may and I have ran since like Forrest Gump. As stupid as it may sound, I love it. The best thing I've noticed is that I haven't suffered from serious migraine since. My stamina has way better and of course the pace is improving. But I'm still miles away what I want them to be. The last half-marathon I ran was 2.01.30 which isn't very good I know but the next goal is to get the time under two hours.Your wife must be happy.

Building running endurance leads to a better sex life.

janneppi
30th September 2011, 22:14
I've never had clipless pedals full stop. :s I'm going to learn to go clipless on my mountain bike as it has a much lower bar and far superior brakes. Once I've mastered using them on my mountain bike they will be switched to my road bike. I'd never even riden a road bike before I bought mine about a month ago so there was no way that I was going to go clipless straightaway on a bike with a racing position, high bar and really rubbish brakes. :p Don't think I fancy mountain biking clipless though. One X-ray after a fall this year was plenty enough for me. :)

Have the cliplesses been working for you?

Today I visited couple of bike shops to get an idea what the mtb market looks like. The first thing I saw was Salsa Mukluk with an old modded Marzocchi Shiver fork in place of a normal rigid fork. It was almost love at first sight. :D
Fortunately I can't justify the price of a fat tyre bike at the moment.

GridGirl
1st October 2011, 18:37
My transition to clipless cycling has mostly been fine. When I say mostly I actually mean apart from the two falls of epic comedy value that I had. :laugh:

The first happened within 15 minutes of going clipless when the pedals were initially put on my mountain bike. I was rolling really slowly when I unclipped with my left leg and didnt think about what I was doing and tried to put my unclipped right leg on the ground. Shifting the balance of my weight meant that I just fell slowly sidewards onto the ground. This resulted in quite a nasty bruise on my upper arm where somehow the handlebars hit me.

The other fall occured when I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago about 90km into a 101km ride on my road bike. The road bike is a bit skittish and it was quite a windy day. I'd unclipped but then got a bit of a wobble on and fell to the side that my leg was still clipped in. So I was there laying in a pile on the floor in fits of laughter with my right leg still attached the the bike and me being unable to unclip it. The high bar also meant that my free leg wasnt able to get purchase on the floor to enable me to get up either. The other half had to get off his bike and physically lift me and the bike up. :laugh:

So, apart the couple of falls clipless is brilliant. Its really helped increase my average speed and its particually helped to increase my speed going up hills. Although I dont have a lot of confidence going up very steep hills clipped in with both feet yet. On hills which have been marked more than 20% in gradient I have been unclipping one foot just incase. I think its better to be safe than sorry as I dont really want to end up in a heap on the floor again if my legs do give up and say they dont want to move because its too hard.

I'd never heard of Salsa Mukluk's before so I had to google them. Fat tyre bikes do look pretty cool. Do you know how the market for fat tyre bikes has been over the last few years? My other half bought his 2009 full suspension mountain bike for around £1800 but the equivalent 2012 bike now costs around £3,000. If fat tyre bikes are going up in price like mountain bikes have been going up in the UK it might be an idea to get a new bike sooner rather than later. :) Me and the other half stuck a deal last month which involved me buying him a Specialized Secteur Comp road bike in exchange for him buying me a mountain bike next year. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the best deal out of it though. :D We've been to the World Mountain Biking championships at Dalby Forest the last two years and it went from around 10% of riders using 29ers last year to around 90% using 29ers this year. All the big manufacturers appear to be bringing out mainsteam 29ers in their 2012 ranges. I have been wondering whether I should be a first mover and get a 29er but then again maybe I should leave other people to test the waters and stick with a standard bike. I've seen a few mens 29ers in cycling shops and they do look huge.

janneppi
1st October 2011, 19:11
My transition to clipless cycling has mostly been fine. When I say mostly I actually mean apart from the two falls of epic comedy value that I had. :laugh:

It takes a bit of muscle memory to unclip always on the same side, but eventually you'll be able to unclip when going over the handlebar at hight speeds(not recommended). Last time I didn't manage a proper unclipping was when I tried to wheelie a large water puddle but fell on my arse into the water. :D

I'd never heard of Salsa Mukluk's before so I had to google them. Fat tyre bikes do look pretty cool. Do you know how the market for fat tyre bikes has been over the last few years?

They are getting slighty popular, at the moment there are maybe 50 in Finland, but every single on of the 30 or so frames the shop was getting was already sold and they have to get more airlifted. :)

My other half bought his 2009 full suspension mountain bike for around £1800 but the equivalent 2012 bike now costs around £3,000. If fat tyre bikes are going up in price like mountain bikes have been going up in the UK it might be an idea to get a new bike sooner rather than later. :) Me and the other half stuck a deal last month which involved me buying him a Specialized Secteur Comp road bike in exchange for him buying me a mountain bike next year. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the best deal out of it though. :D We've been to the World Mountain Biking championships at Dalby Forest the last two years and it went from around 10% of riders using 29ers last year to around 90% using 29ers this year. All the big manufacturers appear to be bringing out mainsteam 29ers in their 2012 ranges. I have been wondering whether I should be a first mover and get a 29er but then again maybe I should leave other people to test the waters and stick with a standard bike. I've seen a few mens 29ers in cycling shops and they do look huge.

The shop owner's Salsa was around 3000 Eur
On one in UK are building a prototype at the moment which should be on the affordable side.

Most expensive thing on the bikes are the wheels, mostly due to lack of manufacturers.

At the moment i'm looking into either these fat lolz machines or maybe a 29" hardtail built for all mountain use. (unless a suitable 26" hardtail finds itself into my flat). I wouldn't get a 29" bike unless I was as tall as I am, I'm 187cm and it's about 50/50 which is better for me. IMO If you are short, stick to 26" bikes

janneppi
18th March 2012, 09:50
First I thought to put this in the AFFrina thread , but my new family members is a bit more important than some kid. :D

I finally found the bike that I was looking for for months. it's not a hardtail as my previous post would have indicated, but few hours on a borrowed Specialized full suspension bike brougth me back to my senses.

Here's the family portrait.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11791273/je.jpg
Erin on the wall and Jonna on the floor. :p :

The road bike will move to handle work commuting duties and the tractor will be the fun time happy machine.

pino
18th March 2012, 10:22
About time to use those bikes Janne...you really need it :p : ;)

Uneven Treatment
18th March 2012, 12:07
Holy crap.. well thats a complete mind bender. I started this thread years ago.

I think I stopped posting soon after. Weird to see my old login here literally years later. Very top of the chit chat forum too.

Err.. so how'd it go. Anyone lose any weight? I cetainly didn't. lol.

tfp
18th March 2012, 20:00
First I thought to put this in the AFFrina thread , but my new family members is a bit more important than some kid. :D

I finally found the bike that I was looking for for months. it's not a hardtail as my previous post would have indicated, but few hours on a borrowed Specialized full suspension bike brougth me back to my senses.

Here's the family portrait.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11791273/je.jpg
Erin on the wall and Jonna on the floor. :p :

The road bike will move to handle work commuting duties and the tractor will be the fun time happy machine.

Nice! The front forks on Jonna look exactly the same as my Kona :)

janneppi
18th March 2012, 20:25
Thanks. :)
Fork is a 160mm 36 Float, the bike is a bit over a year old, with very little use by the original owner. I could have done without the Hope brakes or the Cane Creak rear shock, but I'm not complaining, i just need to put a slightly longer stem and switch to a less ridiculous handle bar(current is 760mm wide) and it's pretty much perfect. All I need now is the snow to melt so i can actually use it in the woods.

tfp
19th March 2012, 00:35
Thanks. :)
Fork is a 160mm 36 Float, the bike is a bit over a year old, with very little use by the original owner. I could have done without the Hope brakes or the Cane Creak rear shock, but I'm not complaining, i just need to put a slightly longer stem and switch to a less ridiculous handle bar(current is 760mm wide) and it's pretty much perfect. All I need now is the snow to melt so i can actually use it in the woods.

We dont have so much of a problem with snow here :) I only had to stop the bike rides for two weeks until the snow was all gone!

I have Hope brakes on mine, I dont think they live up to the hype, theyre the only thing that has gone wrong with my mountain bike since I bought it. My mate has Hayes brakes on his and they work really well, but theres very little feel to them. Have you ever driven a new VW/Seat/Audi? A bit like the brakes on these cars, either on or off, nothing in between!

GridGirl
19th March 2012, 14:37
Is that an Orange bike? I would quite like an Orange Diva full suspension bike but I dont think my budget will stretch that far. :(

janneppi
19th March 2012, 15:05
Jeps, It's an Orange Alpine. It should be pretty low maintenance and pretty much bulletproof for my use. Gridgirl, I think you might find used bikes for a relatively sane budged, I sure did. :D

GridGirl
19th March 2012, 15:19
Orange bikes are so cool. :D I think my other half would cry with jealousy if I got a Orange Diva and he already has a preety decent full suspension bike himself. The Orange factory is only about 20 miles from my house so good choice there. ;) Might think about a used bike or a last season bike but in all honesty I think my next bike purchase will be next year now.

The other half changed the front derailleur cable on his road bike on Saturday. I fear tonight will mostly be spent helping to re-tape the handle bars on said road bike. Oh joy!

52Paddy
19th March 2012, 19:50
I've started routinely jogging (every other day) a few weeks ago. At the moment I'm running roughly 5km in 30 minutes. I'm also working out most days of the week. Exercises are as follows:

- Modified press-ups (ones with knees on floor ; I have an arm injury and can't do standard ones yet): 4 sets of 10
- Shoulder press (4.5kg): 1 set of 20 per arm
- Bent over row (4.5kg): 3 sets of 35 and 1 set of 50
- Bicep Curl (4.5kg): 1 set of 80 each arm
- Stomach Crunches: 3 sets of 30
- Squats: 1 set of 30

I'm happy with my progress so far. I reckon if I can keep this up for a few months then I'll see a huge difference, and feel it too. My diet is fairly balanced too.

I've put my bike back together too. It's a fixed gear Veloce frame with Campagnolo track cranks, a rear deep dish rim, Mavic Open Pro on front and ****ty flat pedals. I damaged my ankle some months ago and found my usual pedals (TIME pedals - clipless) impossible to use. However, I feel like my ankle is 100% again and I might change them back to clipless. If not, I'll have to invest in some nice straps. I had a pair which were ok but they're past it now.

ioan
19th March 2012, 19:59

Way too many repetitions.

Won't help unless you do at least 200 crunches per day.
If I may I would suggest you go for 7 sets of 30 or 5 sets of 40.

52Paddy
20th March 2012, 03:54
Way too many repetitions.

Won't help unless you do at least 200 crunches per day.
If I may I would suggest you go for 7 sets of 30 or 5 sets of 40.

Thanks ioan...you're a star ;)

20th March 2012, 05:05
Each and every Brighton ladies handbag experiences 20 steps through the creation. Upon finishing of the process the leather-based patch, imprinted along with Brighton's statement of quality as well as an individual successive quantity will be included. As you can tell they do placed their coronary heart straight into every product they've created. It really is for this reason the organization is recognized for its coronary heart emblem. Components for a few with the handbags are manufactured around the globe within international locations like Italy, Italia, Italy, The far east, Taiwan, South korea as well as The japanese.Brighton purses tend to be hand made inside Los angeles. At no time are there over 15 becoming made at a time. It comes with an awareness of detail followed generally by Brighton craftsmen cheap mulberry (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/) that is certainly an exception with this sector. For example there is absolutely no draw outlining how the 'marks' and 'scars' will be the "guarantee" involving authentic leather-they fastidiously minimize round the scars- to provide you, a perfect natural leather ladies handbag.

I told her she can provide your pet everything linked to playing golf but the girl should be innovative when the lady would like to make sure you him or her. There are many golfing items which are already available and it is as much as the woman's that among these products to offer as being a golfing found.When it comes to Jasmine, she's got old a close connection using Bryan and he or she wants to shock him having a playing golf birthday present that will contact his or her cardiovascular and earn your ex remember his or her very first special birthday together with Jasmine. Because of the standing of the relationship, We mulberry bayswater (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/mulberry-bayswater-bags-c-79.html) told her to consider one thing personal and remarkable even if it's a playing golf bday gift.When she desires to offer Bryan a golfing item while birthday celebration reward nevertheless as well sherrrd like the gift to get something special, i quickly recommended a thing sweet and cheaper being a specially designed special birthday wedding cake using a playing golf motif.

In the case of Jasmine, she gets already established a detailed partnership together with Bryan and he or she really wants to shock him with a golf birthday celebration reward that might effect his or her heart and earn him remember his / her very first birthday celebration along with Jasmine. Given the position of these connection, My spouse and i informed her to find one thing personal and also unique even when it's a the game of golf birthday mulberry alexa sale (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/mulberry-alexa-bags-c-77.html) reward.When the girl would like to supply Bryan any the game of golf product as birthday celebration reward yet simultaneously she would like your gift to be a gift, i then suggested some thing sweet and less expensive like a engineered special birthday dessert which has a playing golf motif. Just like Jasmine, you can even possess form of cake baked but guarantee the adornment and also the theme are only for the game of golf. The dessert can be turned into an passable little golf course using complementing golf enthusiast donning the training course.

Read More:
Mulberry Bags UK Sale, Discount Mulberry Bags, Luxury Mulberry Handbags Outlet. (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/)
Mulberry Edie And All Kinds Of Mulberry Handbags Give You A Great Price! (http://docsdosimetry.com/ud7900/index.php?action=profile;u=329913)
Mulberry bags which supports greatly (http://www.eliteextremedream2010.com/content/index.php?com=blog&action=viewpost&id=29)
Women with great taste only pick Mulberry bags (http://www.1rd.ru/component/option,com_datsogallery/Itemid,128/func,detail/catid,3/id,19/)
Mulberry Edie And All Kinds Of Mulberry Handbags Give You A Great Price! (http://old.thepostfamily.com/community_posts/1037-ny-art-book-fair-review?comment%5Bbody%5D=If+you+wish+to+offer+a+th e+game+of+golf+bday+gift+that+might+actually+stay+ quality+of+time+of+course%2C+if+money+is+not+a+pro blem+then+have+you+thought+to+supply+your+personal +someone+something+more+pricey+yet+invaluable+just +like+club%3F+You+will+find+different+varieties+of +%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com%2F%5Dmulberry+bags+sale%5B%2Furl%5D+clubs +to+select+from+as+a+birthday+celebration+reward+p lus+you%27ve+got+to+decide+on+the+type+which+usual ly+satisfies+his+%2F+her+personality.If+your+signi ficant+other+is+simply+starting+out%2C+the+most+ef fective+golf+merchandise+being+a+special+birthday+ present+you+can+provide+him+has+to+be+playing+golf +instructing+video+clip+as+well+as+guide.+He+can+c ertainly+treasure+thinking+as+well+as+the+golfing+ birthday+celebration+surprise+by+itself+since+it+w ill+be+really+necessary+to+your+ex+in+and+out+of+y our+golf+course.+If+he+or+she+is+already+a+passion ate+player+he+then+will+most+likely+get+a+number+o f+golf+training+aids+currently+however+any+kind+of +enthusiastic+golfer+can%27t+ever+have+too+several +golfing+aid+guides.%0D%0A++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++%0D%0A9.00%22W+times+Half+a+dozen .00%22H+times+Two.5%22D+and+features+a+advised+ret ail+price+in+the+%24190.00+money+array.The+delicat e+unconstructed+shape+which+has+a+fresh+style+colo ur%21+Functions+incorporate+9%22+handles%2C+inside +of+zippered+pants+pocket%2C+important+dish%2C+Thr ee+or+more+%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mulberrybagsu k-sale.com%2Fmulberry-bayswater-bags-c-79.html%5Dmulberry+bayswater%5B%2Furl%5D+broken+do wn+interior+portions+%282+ziptop+closures%2C+1+mag netic+closing%29+a+couple+of+part+storage+compartm ents+using+navigation+bars%2C+back+pants+pocket+al ong+with+customized+Brighton+browse+lining.+1%22W+ times+Half+a+dozen.5%22H+times+5%22D+wearing+the+M SR+expense+of+%24230.00.Up-to-date%2C+informal+classic+handbag+shape+presenting+ a+couple+of+exterior+cellphone+wallets.+Functions% 3A+12%22+addresses%2C+a+couple+of+inset+exterior+m obile+phone+wallets%2C+entire+zippered+prime%2C+ce ntre+zippered+inner+compartment+throughout+liner%2 C+interior+bank+account+program+14%22W+by+7%22H+by +Some.5%22D+Recommended+Shop+price%3A+%24240.00Thi s+could+be+the+Brighton+bags+French+interconnectio n.%0D%0A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ %0D%0Aconsidering+because+of+me+personally%2C+I%EE %96%B2+appropriate+excited+improve+that+I+bequeath +carry+out+to+be+able+to+extra+supplies+my+persona l+Rimowa+Vintage+rush+parts+booked+event+once+i+vi sit+Seattle+apart+from+thence+Cebu.Anything+at+all +concerning+golf+birthday+reward+can+do+for+someon e+whom+adores+the+sport+and+the+willpower+it+entai ls.+For+a+person+unique%2C+any+well-thought+regarding+the+game+of+golf+special+birthda y+surprise+%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mulberrybagsu k-sale.com%2Fmulberry-alexa-bags-c-77.html%5Dmulberry+alexa+sale%5B%2Furl%5D+could+be +best%21Jasmine%2C+a+buddy+of+mine%2C+ended+up+cou rting+Bryan+for+really+someday.+Each+of+them+met+a t+a+most+popular+online+dating+service.+Sherrrd+li ke+to+offer+your+ex+a+unique+bday+reward+which+is+ linked+to+the+game+of+golf+as+they+is+an+passionat e+player.+My+partner+and+i+shared+with+her+she+wil l+give+him+or+her+everything+associated+with+the+g ame+of+golf+but+the+girl+needs+to+be+innovative+in +case+the+lady+really+wants+to+please+him.+There+a re+many+the+game+of+golf+items+that+happen+to+be+a vailable+and+it+is+approximately+her+that+among+th ese+merchandise+to+present+as+a+playing+golf+found .%0D%0A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++%0D%0ARea d+More%3A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++%0D%0A%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.mulbe rrybagsuk-sale.com%2F%5D+http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com%2F+%5B%2Furl%5D++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++%0D%0A%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fforum. stvnord.ru%2Fmemberlist.php%3Fmode%3Dviewprofile%2 6u%3D15596%5DMulberry+Hnadbags+and+Wallets+and+han dbags+Are+So+Spectacular+%5B%2Furl%5D%0D%0A%5Burl% 3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.shallalist.de%2Fcgi-bin%2Fforum%2Fikonboard.cgi%3Fact%3DProfile%3BCODE %3D03%3BMID%3D110-1331739157%5DMulberry+Antony+Messenger+Natural+Lea ther+Bag+Oak+6934+%5B%2Furl%5D%0D%0A%5Burl%3Dhttp% 3A%2F%2Fforum.bastionclub.ru%2Fmemberlist.php%3Fmo de%3Dviewprofile%26u%3D36226%5DMulberry+Bags+for+C hristmas+%5B%2Furl%5D%0D%0A%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fp iluk.by%2Fuser%2FSewelilifub%2F%5DMulberry+Antony+ Messenger+Natural+Leather+Bag+Oak+6184+%5B%2Furl%5 D%0D%0A%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fauto-shkola.ru%2Fabout%2Fmemberlist.php%3Fmode%3Dviewpr ofile%26u%3D91732%5DMulberry+selling+created+from+ mulberry+tillie+tote+%3A+Business+%5B%2Furl%5D%0D% 0A&comment%5Bemail%5D=u.g.gst.a.l.l..co..uk%40gmail.c om%0D%0A&comment%5Binvalid_url%5D=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mulberry bagsuk-sale.com%2F%0D%0A&comment%5Bname%5D=incuncark&recaptcha_response_field=manual_challenge#add_new_ comment)
Mulberry bags are limiting about fantastic superior all through extra (http://www.hatcherlawgroup.com/practice-areas/practice-details.cfm/content/separation)

20th March 2012, 05:07
Every single Brighton ladies handbag goes through 20 measures throughout its generation. Upon completing the task a leather-based patch, embossed using Brighton's declaration regarding quality and an person serial number can be included. As you can tell they will really carry out take their cardiovascular directly into every product they make. It really is that is why the corporation is known for it's heart company logo. Parts for a few in the totes are manufactured globally throughout nations around the world for example France, France, The world, Tiongkok, Taiwan, South korea and Japan.Brighton purses are hand-crafted in Florida. At no time are there a lot more than five staying created during a period. There's an attention to details adopted as a rule by Brighton tradesmen mulberry bags uk (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/) that is different in this industry. By way of example there's no marking describing the 'marks' and also 'scars' are the "guarantee" regarding legitimate leather-they carefully lower around the scars- to offer you, the flawless leather-based handbag. We informed her that they may give him or her anything at all related to the game of golf however the lady needs to be creative in case your woman wishes to remember to your ex. There are many playing golf things that happen to be out there in fact it is around the girl which in turn among these products to offer as a golf present.In the matter of Jasmine, she has already established a close partnership together with Bryan and she really wants to amaze him with a golf birthday surprise that will touch his / her center making your ex keep in mind their 1st bday together with Jasmine. Because of the status of their romantic relationship, My spouse and i mulberry bayswater (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/mulberry-bayswater-bags-c-79.html) told her to find some thing private along with remarkable even if it is a playing golf birthday celebration present.When the lady really wants to provide Bryan a the game of golf merchandise as birthday celebration surprise however at the same time sherrrd like the actual gift to become something special, then I proposed some thing nice and less expensive being a specially designed special birthday wedding cake with a the game of golf theme. In the case of Jasmine, she's got old a detailed romantic relationship with Bryan and she or he would like to shock your ex with a golf birthday celebration gift that might contact his / her center and earn him remember his 1st birthday along with Jasmine. Given the status of their connection, My partner and i said to find some thing private along with unforgettable even though this is a playing golf bday mulberry alexa sale (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/mulberry-alexa-bags-c-77.html) surprise.In the event that the girl really wants to supply Bryan a new golfing item because birthday gift yet at the same time she would like the gift being something special, i quickly suggested some thing sweet and less expensive just like a specially engineered bday meal using a golf pattern. Such as Jasmine, you can even have got sort of dessert prepared yet ensure that the adornment as well as the design are only for playing golf. The wedding cake could be changed into a good edible miniature the game together with coordinating player putting on your course. Read More: Mulberry Bags UK Sale, Discount Mulberry Bags, Luxury Mulberry Handbags Outlet. (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/) The fish mesh bag momentum in to Mulberry Purse : mulberry bags (http://milienoticeboard.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=199841)Mulberry outlet could make you decent (http://www.wijthmen.nl/forum/profile.php?id=953393)Mulberry Hnadbags and Wallets and handbags Are So Stunning (http://jimmyblake.com/blog/2011/11/16/vote-wim-remes-for-isc2-board.html)The fish mesh bag momentum in to Mulberry Purse : mulberry bags (http://www.fluentself.com/blog/habits/lets-talk-about-nazis/)women who can afford Mulberry bags (http://banning-beaumont.patch.com/join?return_to=%2Farticles%2Fhigh-wind-warning-for-area-including-the-san-gorgonio-pass-thru-2p-saturday&return_to=http%3A%2F%2Fbanning-beaumont.patch.com%2Farticles%2Fhigh-wind-warning-for-area-including-the-san-gorgonio-pass-thru-2p-saturday&type%5Btype%5D=comment&type=comment)

20th March 2012, 05:08
The corporation started production Eighteen months ago as well as the hand bags retail store regarding in between 30-70 lbs and still have recognition along with celebs, especially those throughout Countries in europe. The cash raised through the sale made in the totes is used to finance applications designed to raise recognition regarding libido inside Under developed countries, which in turn stems from a thought Saul had even though working in Uganda. Although mulberry bags sale (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/) helping out within Uganda, Saul seen bags manufactured completely of container surfaces on the market from your market segments. They introduced the idea in order to his father, who owns high-class goods business Mulberry. The baggage have been shortly an enormous reach. Bottletop may be it's account and can start off shipping and delivery bags in order to Great britain in the future, so look.The particular Brighton bag had been put into your Brighton type of fashionable equipment throughout 1993.

A brand new decryption of your Pound design and style property vintage helps make vid extremely popular option. Functions: Twelve.5" straps, on the inside zippered bank account, essential dish, ziptop drawing a line under, 2 aspect storage compartments with permanent magnet flap closure, back again pocket, and also a mulberry bayswater (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/mulberry-bayswater-bags-c-79.html) tailor made Brighton candy striped liner, "feet" on bottom regarding handbag. 12.5"W times Your five.5"H times Several.5"D Suggested Retail Price: $220.00¡¡¡¡Anything about the game of golf birthday celebration surprise will do for a person that loves the game along with the willpower it requires. For someone particular, a new well-thought associated with the game of golf special birthday surprise would be excellent!Jasmine, a pal regarding acquire, was online dating Bryan regarding really at some point. Each of them met within the most favored online dating service. Sherrrd like to provide him or her an original special birthday gift that's linked to the game of golf because he is definitely an avid golf player.

Here£r player Liev Schreiber (that plays Sabretooth control your X-Men Roots: Wolverine) goose the actual more mature involving his / her 2 son's, Alexander Pete, vim over a movement effectively. Not necessarily voluntarily concrete floor setting they£qe headed, however that£r the particular Rimowa Salsa circumstance that he is being affected by, along with characteristic with regard to his baby is actually located securely in blastoff. pounds mulberry alexa sale (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/mulberry-alexa-bags-c-77.html) unique situations, the relationship is easy apart from small to manage, thanks magnetism misconception to its multiwheel side. appropriate is actually and virtually indestructible, seriously light and portable additional comes reduce a water-resistant zip drawing a line under. prada purses for sale.Retailing coming from SGD638 to SGD952 path Singapore (depending on the size you like), a person reputation acquiesce all of them to the outside for the reason that your self with Rimowa Mandarin Art gallery.

Read More:
Mulberry Bags UK Sale, Discount Mulberry Bags, Luxury Mulberry Handbags Outlet. (http://www.mulberrybagsuk-sale.com/)
Mulberry Bayswater Crocodile Leather Black 6829 (http://www3.rid.go.th/fad/boad_fad/view.php?No=226&visitOK=1)
you can nevertheless uncover Mulberry handbags (http://www.hindenburg-klassik.de/en/9.html)
Mulberry Bags ¨C Mulberry Bayswater Handbags Natural Leather (http://coltenewhaledent.bj.cn/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=149775)
The acceptable factors on mulberry alexa cabbage bag (http://www.avantiumforum.com/member.php?u=168135)
Bag Designer of 2011 ¨C Mulberry ? Red Carpet Fashion Awards (http://board.liverpool.in.th/never-walk-alone-board/red-alert%21-sms/)

Garry Walker
20th March 2012, 19:47
I've started routinely jogging (every other day) a few weeks ago. At the moment I'm running roughly 5km in 30 minutes. I'm also working out most days of the week. Exercises are as follows:

- Modified press-ups (ones with knees on floor ; I have an arm injury and can't do standard ones yet): 4 sets of 10
- Shoulder press (4.5kg): 1 set of 20 per arm
- Bent over row (4.5kg): 3 sets of 35 and 1 set of 50
- Squats: 1 set of 30.

As ioan said, far too many reps for Bicep Curl. Increase the weight a little bit and lower the amount of reps.
As for stomach crunches, I would find another exercise for stomach, usually you just manage to hurt your lower back.
You should also work stomach muscles every day of the week, or at least 5-6 times, whereas for other muscles, if you do them 5-6 times, then you are overdoing it.

52Paddy
20th March 2012, 20:13
As ioan said, far too many reps for Bicep Curl. Increase the weight a little bit and lower the amount of reps.
As for stomach crunches, I would find another exercise for stomach, usually you just manage to hurt your lower back.
You should also work stomach muscles every day of the week, or at least 5-6 times, whereas for other muscles, if you do them 5-6 times, then you are overdoing it.

Wish I could increase the weight, but at the moment I've only access to 4.5kgs. How many reps should I aim to do of a heavier weight?

Can you suggest an alternative stomach exercise for me to try?

Tazio
20th March 2012, 20:44
I do a lot of mountain biking, light weights, and ab crunches.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/63/f6151a6af161496988895e26ad4c5660/l.jpg

Garry Walker
20th March 2012, 20:44
Wish I could increase the weight, but at the moment I've only access to 4.5kgs. How many reps should I aim to do of a heavier weight?

Can you suggest an alternative stomach exercise for me to try?

So I am guessing you have 2 10 pounds dumbbells, right? Could you somehow grab them in one hand and do the exercise like that? 9kg should not be too much.
How many reps? Not more than 15, but the weight should be challenging then.
When I work my biceps, I almost never do more than 8 reps per set.

For stomach, yes, I can. Now, I am not a native english speaker, so if I don't make it very clear, just say so.

You could try for example three simple exercises.
1) Get on the floor, on your back, with your elbows being on the ground and back a little off the ground (so the elbows are holding you up) and straighten out your legs.
Hold them up in the air and then lift the left one a little higher, then back, then right one a little higher and so on. For starters 50 reps and 3 series would do nicely. Always keep the legs straightened out and don't let them touch the ground. Do it properly and dont be hasty.
2) This one is very simple. Hopefully your problem with your arm won't stop you from doing this. This time you are on the floor so that you are looking down on the floor, straighten out your body and get your body off the floor, holding yourself up with elbows and legs (just the toes will be on the floor, not the whole leg). So all the weight will be on your elbows and on your legs (spread your legs widely). Hold yourself in that position for 1,5 minutes, if that is not enough then maybe for 2 minutes. Do it maybe 3 times.
3) For this one you need a some additional weight. If you have those 2 dumbbells, they will do nicely. In fact, probably one is enough. Sit down on your ass, lower your body a little bit back (away from your legs so to say) and lift your legs off the ground (this time they don't have to be 100% straightened out, but almost would be good). Try to maintain a good balance. Now in your hands should you have that dumbbell. Hold the weight against your chest. Then start moving your upperbody to the left side and then to the right side, but always holding your legs up in the air and trying to keep them steady. Most people do it so that they do one turn to the right, then one turn to the left, then one turn to the right again, but I would recommend doing 2 to the left, then 2 to the right, then 2 to the left again and so on. That way you work your muscles more properly. Maybe 20 reps altogether for 3 series.

After those exercises don't forget to stretch!!! You should after those exercises feel a tight feeling in your hip flexors and if you don't stretch, then your lower back will quit on you one day. http://rpm-therapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/psoas-hip-flexor-stretch.jpg Try this stretch (obviously changing legs after doing it to one side and under no circumstance forget to do it.

If you have any questions, just ask :D

52Paddy
20th March 2012, 23:47
So I am guessing you have 2 10 pounds dumbbells, right? Could you somehow grab them in one hand and do the exercise like that? 9kg should not be too much.

I was only doing one long set of bicep curls. So I should split them into three or four sets, yes? I actually just have the one dumbbell but when I am next at home, I will collect the other. I can mix the weights then, of course.

For stomach, yes, I can. Now, I am not a native english speaker, so if I don't make it very clear, just say so.

1) Get on the floor, on your back, with your elbows being on the ground and back a little off the ground (so the elbows are holding you up) and straighten out your legs.
Hold them up in the air and then lift the left one a little higher, then back, then right one a little higher and so on. For starters 50 reps and 3 series would do nicely. Always keep the legs straightened out and don't let them touch the ground. Do it properly and dont be hasty.
2) This one is very simple. Hopefully your problem with your arm won't stop you from doing this. This time you are on the floor so that you are looking down on the floor, straighten out your body and get your body off the floor, holding yourself up with elbows and legs (just the toes will be on the floor, not the whole leg). So all the weight will be on your elbows and on your legs (spread your legs widely). Hold yourself in that position for 1,5 minutes, if that is not enough then maybe for 2 minutes. Do it maybe 3 times.
3) For this one you need a some additional weight. If you have those 2 dumbbells, they will do nicely. In fact, probably one is enough. Sit down on your ass, lower your body a little bit back (away from your legs so to say) and lift your legs off the ground (this time they don't have to be 100% straightened out, but almost would be good). Try to maintain a good balance. Now in your hands should you have that dumbbell. Hold the weight against your chest. Then start moving your upperbody to the left side and then to the right side, but always holding your legs up in the air and trying to keep them steady. Most people do it so that they do one turn to the right, then one turn to the left, then one turn to the right again, but I would recommend doing 2 to the left, then 2 to the right, then 2 to the left again and so on. That way you work your muscles more properly. Maybe 20 reps altogether for 3 series.

After those exercises don't forget to stretch!!! You should after those exercises feel a tight feeling in your hip flexors and if you don't stretch, then your lower back will quit on you one day. http://rpm-therapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/psoas-hip-flexor-stretch.jpg Try this stretch (obviously changing legs after doing it to one side and under no circumstance forget to do it.

Thanks for the insightful advice. I will try these techniques out and let you know how I get on.

airshifter
21st March 2012, 02:43
Keep in mind that with the weights it someone depends on what you are trying to do. Lower weights and more reps is good if you don't want to gain muscle mass, higher weights and lower reps will grow more muscle and tone slightly better. But I do agree even with lighter weights you were going way overboard.

I also agree with the suggestions by Garry above about staying away from crunches. There are plenty of other exercises that will work your muscles more and not cause back strain. One of the ones he described is know as a "plank". You can find videos of several versions of this. Done properly it works your musles way more than crunches will.

If you have any type of pull up bar you can also do knee lifts, both straight and to the obliques. Another simple one that can really cut you up if done right. That was one of the primary exercises Sylvester Stallone did for his abs when filming the early "Rocky" movies.

donKey jote
22nd March 2012, 22:26
I finally made it back to the gym again for the first time in 3 weeks.
Did my usual routine... mainly low reps and low weights :D

A.F.F.
22nd March 2012, 22:51
I'm training for HCR. That's Helsinki City Run, a half a marathon, 21,1 km. Last summer I ran it 2.01.30 and I had a ramantic plan to get it under two hours this year. Well, last tuesday I ran 18 km and my legs were totally f****d. HCR is the 5th of may and there is no way I will run it under two hours. But maybe later this summer..... :)

52Paddy
23rd March 2012, 00:29

Here is my experience of those exercises.

Dumbbells: Unfortunately, I only have the one dumbbell. Careless, I know, but I must have mislaid the other one. Will get a heavier set soon and sort that out. Any bicep exercises I can do which don't involve dumbbells/equipment? I don't have a bar for pull-ups and, besides, my arms are so weak, I don't think I have the strength to do them.

With regard to the ab exercises, I could only manage number 2. And, at that, it was bloody difficult! I've pushed myself to remaining in position for 1.5 minutes and done three reps. It's a real challenge but one that will get easier as I keep it consistent so thanks for that Garry :up:

I do, however, get pain in my lower back after the exercise. I've tried various stretches which do help (as well as the groin stretch you posted) but any more are always welcome :)

GridGirl
23rd March 2012, 10:05
I am going cycling at the Manchester Veoldrome on Sunday afternoon. I've never riden a bike with a fixed wheel and no brakes before so I have high expectations that this may end in tears on my part, friction burns and a lot of pain. :rotate: :uhoh:

I was also planning to run my first ever 10km on Tuesday (having only taken up running at the begining of the year) but this may have to wait depending on what happens at the velodrome. :s

52Paddy
23rd March 2012, 17:04
I am going cycling at the Manchester Veoldrome on Sunday afternoon. I've never riden a bike with a fixed wheel and no brakes before so I have high expectations that this may end in tears on my part, friction burns and a lot of pain. :rotate: :uhoh:

Welcome to my world. I've been riding "brakeless fixies" for a few years around the streets of Dublin. It's a whole different cycling experience and one, I'm sure, you'll want more of when you try it out. My advice is to keep focused on NOT COASTING. Don't let your legs go soft! What type of pedals are provided on the bikes? I've used TIME pedals for years and found them the best, though many fixie-riders swear by straps/belts.

As with all cycling, it's important to stretch after a run but I find this particularly to be the case when riding fixed. The constant crank rotation can put a lot of strain on your knees and I.T. Band.

Anyway, I'm probably stating the obvious - I do love to ramble :p : Let me know how you get on and have a good one.

Garry Walker
24th March 2012, 11:24
I was only doing one long set of bicep curls. So I should split them into three or four sets, yes? I actually just have the one dumbbell but when I am next at home, I will collect the other. I can mix the weights then, of course.
3-4 sets would suit very well. There are also ways to exercise your bicep without any additional equipment.

Here is my experience of those exercises.

Dumbbells: Unfortunately, I only have the one dumbbell. Careless, I know, but I must have mislaid the other one. Will get a heavier set soon and sort that out. Any bicep exercises I can do which don't involve dumbbells/equipment? I don't have a bar for pull-ups and, besides, my arms are so weak, I don't think I have the strength to do them.
Yes, there are. Here is one I can recommend that is very easy. Put your hands in front of you so that the left hand's fingers are pointing towards the right and right hand pointing towards the left. One hand has the palm downwards, the other upwards. Then just start putting together the palms of the hands so that 1 rep is with the right hand being on top, then changing so that left hand is on top. Keep your biceps tight and do 200 reps of that. And keep a slow and steady pace and your biceps tight.

With regard to the ab exercises, I could only manage number 2. And, at that, it was bloody difficult! I've pushed myself to remaining in position for 1.5 minutes and done three reps. It's a real challenge but one that will get easier as I keep it consistent so thanks for that Garry :up:

I do, however, get pain in my lower back after the exercise. I've tried various stretches which do help (as well as the groin stretch you posted) but any more are always welcome :)
What stopped you from doing nr 1 and nr.3? Could you do any reps with them?

As for back pain in that exercise, I haven't had it myself, but I guess for example you could do this very simple one - simply bend over and touch your toes with your fingers and let the back relax. You can bend your knees a little.

52Paddy
24th March 2012, 13:38
3-4 sets would suit very well. There are also ways to exercise your bicep without any additional equipment.

Great, will work for that when I get the heavier weights.

Yes, there are. Here is one I can recommend that is very easy. Put your hands in front of you so that the left hand's fingers are pointing towards the right and right hand pointing towards the left. One hand has the palm downwards, the other upwards. Then just start putting together the palms of the hands so that 1 rep is with the right hand being on top, then changing so that left hand is on top. Keep your biceps tight and do 200 reps of that. And keep a slow and steady pace and your biceps tight.

That's a cool alternative - never heard of that exercise before. I will work on that in the meantime.

What stopped you from doing nr 1 and nr.3? Could you do any reps with them?

Reading back on your instructions, I realise that I can do numbers 1 and 3. I had misread them. I thought, with number 1, your arse had to be off the ground too and your whole body weight be held up on your elbows. Assuming that arse remains on the floor, this is indeed a simple exercise and I can feel work going on with the abs. Number 3, I had a problem balancing but now it's ok - perhaps it was just a bad day. I will bring these exercises into my exercise routine.

As for back pain in that exercise, I haven't had it myself, but I guess for example you could do this very simple one - simply bend over and touch your toes with your fingers and let the back relax. You can bend your knees a little.

I've found a few stretches online which have helped and I use that stretch which you mentioned regularly. For the record, I'm convinced this isn't an abnormal pain - more like a light strain which just needs some light attention after a workout.

harbourgirl
26th March 2012, 05:19
I'm looking to get fit too.
I'm not overweight, but just need to tone up.
Cardio is what lets me down, I just find it so ridiculously boring, it becomes horribly tedious and I just give up on it after the first few works. Need to find something to get me out of that routine!
I'm currently 175cm and 59kg. I'm hoping to lose about two kilos of that in fat and gain in a tiny bit of muscle.

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) really helps out with the diet side of things if any of you are struggling with that. You can get it on Android, iPhone and Windows Phone (as well as inputting data on a computer).

Hopefully within the next three months I'll achieve my goal!

donKey jote
26th March 2012, 21:23
Need to find something to get me out of that routine!

Have you got the right shoes yet? :p

harbourgirl
27th March 2012, 01:30
Have you got the right shoes yet? :p

Haha, I hope you saw my runners at the bottom of the picture! :P

27th March 2012, 07:28
If you don't need to pay considerably employing a girls bag, Burberry girls purse reproductions function with regards to 400 and tend to be instead amazing of their overall potential reflection the main. Inside of easy, rrndividuals are without doubt amazingly imaginative joined with gratifying hand bags and purses and handbags. Burberry model items burberry outlet (http://www.burberryoutletvip.com/) have to have a popular unique design in addition to end of top quality buckskin as well as items. At the moment; you can simply locate many types are generally prime the style advancement. Previously, people be aware of the modifying style, the best way to help keep you trendy as well as hair stylist.Burberry web store satisfy your enjoys together with Burberry manufacturing unit wall membrane put solutions to the best over summer and winter.

Key in nearly virtually any topic from the exploration deal, and also you are really sure to create fantastic money-saving do-it-yourself data. A couple of junk foods cafes present half-off goods reely night time coffee, and lots of eating places function exclusive seniors discounts or perhaps discounts in meals. Mostly, females feel that these off-season goods 've got slob superior this is catagorized an important part subsequent employing it 2-3 situations. Seconds afterwards, your car or truck relocated burberry outlet (http://www.burberryoutletvip.com/) while using cross-bow supports from the streetlight which in turn once i stumbled on ?enjoyment, you ought to ?the head regarding Lenny Churchville ! We will have him or her getting Burberry Store purses and handbags as well as custom handbags to can easily engage in lots of extremely important situations.

Burberry store luggage as well as luggage just to reflect almost every in our character, which provides a method to show off our own exceedingly tiny world. numerous days, unique conditions, a variety of social industries imply that besides burberry bags outlet (http://www.burberryoutletvip.com/) can be having several unique companies significantly from must, but extraordinary pleasure. This unique Burberry Bags service provider may contain the luxurious district intended for a person, specifically when anybody hold it as well as clothes accomplished for you! Red tinted Calfskin clear leather-based deals with collectively along with significant important metal images, Absolutely no pulling a set under, on the inside zero rear bank account, apparent man-made leather-based cut, Yellow steel equipment, 100% Calfskin.

Read More:
Burberry Outlet , Cheap Burberry Bags Outlet For Ladies ! (http://www.burberryoutletvip.com/)

Garry Walker
29th March 2012, 18:14
I'm looking to get fit too.
I'm not overweight, but just need to tone up.
Cardio is what lets me down, I just find it so ridiculously boring, it becomes horribly tedious and I just give up on it after the first few works. Need to find something to get me out of that routine!
I'm currently 175cm and 59kg. I'm hoping to lose about two kilos of that in fat and gain in a tiny bit of muscle.
LIGHTWEIGHT!

That's a cool alternative - never heard of that exercise before. I will work on that in the meantime. No one has, but it is really the most simple to work your biceps if you don't have any access to equipment.

Reading back on your instructions, I realise that I can do numbers 1 and 3. I had misread them. I thought, with number 1, your arse had to be off the ground too and your whole body weight be held up on your elbows. Assuming that arse remains on the floor, this is indeed a simple exercise and I can feel work going on with the abs. Number 3, I had a problem balancing but now it's ok - perhaps it was just a bad day. I will bring these exercises into my exercise routine. How have they gone?

janneppi
29th March 2012, 18:38
Pih, took the new tractor for a spin on tarmac to scout my new work commute. Won't be doing the commute on that thing, that's for sure. Even with nontrendy high 3bar tyre pressures the thing slows down on small downhills.

donKey jote
29th March 2012, 18:57
Maybe you need to shave your legs again. :andrea:

janneppi
29th March 2012, 19:19
There's not enough hair in the world to shave off to make that thing fly on tarmac. :D

GridGirl
29th March 2012, 20:01
Put slicks on it?

I survived my first attempt at cycling on a velodrome and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go again. I only did one timed flying lap from a standing start and managed to complete 250m in 25.16 seconds averageing about 37kph. Sir Chris Hoy can do 200m on the same track from a standing start in under 10 seconds. Must try harder.

janneppi
30th March 2012, 19:27
Put slicks on it?

I'll take the road bike for that job. ;)
I need to put the sturdy tyres on the road bike next week, while the good city of Vantaa has cleaned some areas there is whole lotta gravel on the bike paths to eat skinny summer tyres to pieces.

52Paddy
31st March 2012, 13:20
How have they gone?

So far so good. I can definitely feel them working my abs.

52Paddy
16th April 2012, 20:18

3) For this one you need a some additional weight. If you have those 2 dumbbells, they will do nicely. In fact, probably one is enough. Sit down on your ass, lower your body a little bit back (away from your legs so to say) and lift your legs off the ground (this time they don't have to be 100% straightened out, but almost would be good). Try to maintain a good balance. Now in your hands should you have that dumbbell. Hold the weight against your chest. Then start moving your upperbody to the left side and then to the right side, but always holding your legs up in the air and trying to keep them steady. Most people do it so that they do one turn to the right, then one turn to the left, then one turn to the right again, but I would recommend doing 2 to the left, then 2 to the right, then 2 to the left again and so on. That way you work your muscles more properly. Maybe 20 reps altogether for 3 series

The two exercises have been very beneficial so far but I have a question: do they work the same sets of abs or different ones? Currently, I'm using 3 series of both exercises in my fitness routine but I don't want to use both if it's over-doing the same abs.

Also, the 'plank position' is not working for me - I can't seem to get a good tightness in my stomach. My shoulders and elbows become strained after 40 seconds or so.

Garry Walker
21st April 2012, 14:53
The two exercises have been very beneficial so far but I have a question: do they work the same sets of abs or different ones? Currently, I'm using 3 series of both exercises in my fitness routine but I don't want to use both if it's over-doing the same abs.

Also, the 'plank position' is not working for me - I can't seem to get a good tightness in my stomach. My shoulders and elbows become strained after 40 seconds or so.

oh don't worry about overdoing it at all, abs need a lot of exercises and can take it easily. How many times are you currently doing it per week and how many reps?

52Paddy
21st April 2012, 21:22
How many times are you currently doing it per week and how many reps?

Currently every second day (so three or four times per week, depending). It's both exercises. The 'weight on chest' exercise is 2 sets of 20 reps and a final set of 'double 20' (i.e. I move left twice, then right twice). The 'alternating leg' exercise, I do 50 reps for the first two sets and 75 for the final one.

23rd April 2012, 12:56
Li Jian said,Karen Millen Online (http://www.salekarenmillenonline.com/) going for walks a lot more, that they figured a process of recovery: your shoes or boots Scarpe Hogan (http://www.scarpehogansito.com/) as well as hosiery off of, uncovered feet dried up for quite a while, permit the foot relax, or even uninterested Chanel Bags (http://www.outletchanelsales.com/) inside a sneaker, painful pus bruises easily. At nighttime, the alteration by appliance Kate Moss busiest take a trip using the team regarding medical doctors, usually for individuals to pick the particular percolate encapsulate thus hectic night.

J4MIE
24th April 2012, 20:56
I cycled 13.5km on Sunday afternoon, though to be fair I walked it up most of the hills ;) But it's a start.

Big Ben
26th April 2012, 15:57
well, well... My aim is 90 kilos which I consider to be the upper limit for my 190 cm.... so I need to get rid of 6 kilos... I think that will not downgrade me to Average Ben, right?

I managed to get from 118 kgs to 90.... and now it seems I'm going backwards again. It's quite depressing....

donKey jote
27th April 2012, 18:58
I'm just back from 3 days of fish & chips, pies and curries, so I probably need to get rid of 6 kilos just to get back to my normal 100kg :dozey:

fandango
28th April 2012, 11:54
well, well... My aim is 90 kilos which I consider to be the upper limit for my 190 cm.... so I need to get rid of 6 kilos... I think that will not downgrade me to Average Ben, right?

I managed to get from 118 kgs to 90.... and now it seems I'm going backwards again. It's quite depressing....

Holy s**t, that's 28kg you lost! Amazing. Don't let it get you down putting a kilo or two back on, you just need to gather mental strength and get into it again.

fandango
29th April 2012, 12:11
I'm gradually getting back my running routine. I did my early morning Sunday run today. I've always been an early riser, so it's great to get out for a run with some good music on the headphones. 15km along the seafront in Barcelona. Sun, light breeze, Mediterranean - heaven. And I managed to do it at an average of over 10km/h. And when I'm back in Dublin someone always asks if I'm thinking of moving back...

Big Ben
29th April 2012, 18:50
Thanks for the support guys.

I'm gradually getting back my running routine. I did my early morning Sunday run today. I've always been an early riser, so it's great to get out for a run with some good music on the headphones. 15km along the seafront in Barcelona. Sun, light breeze, Mediterranean - heaven. And I managed to do it at an average of over 10km/h. And when I'm back in Dublin someone always asks if I'm thinking of moving back...

wow... very good pace. I envy you for the surroundings too. I'm doing my running on a treadmill usually. I go to the gym quite often so it's hard to do that and run somewhere outside too. The good thing is I don´t have mosquitos between my teeth when I finish. I usually 'do' '10 km' in one hour. i don't know if i could keep that pace in the 'real world'. I usually get really bored after an hour. It's also quite painful after that. I once ran for an hour and a half, my feet were quite damaged and there was blood on my t-shirt. I don't know how normal is that but I've decided it would be wiser to do shorter sessions more frequently.

Last week I went to tae bo for the first time. It was me and 10 girls :laugh: . It was quite intense. I sweat like a sick horse. I think I shall go again.

52Paddy
7th May 2012, 13:51

Ha! Don't bother :p : I went on a 6k run around Drimnagh and Bluebell yesterday. I started off my running routine in Limerick, where there is some nice scenery - running in Dublin suburbs just doesn't cut it :mark:

tfp
8th May 2012, 00:39
Thanks for the support guys.

Last week I went to tae bo for the first time. It was me and 10 girls :laugh: . It was quite intense. I sweat like a sick horse. I think I shall go again.

Tae bo? 10 girls? Where do I sign?

P.s, what is tae bo?

Big Ben
8th May 2012, 09:49
Tae bo? 10 girls? Where do I sign?

P.s, what is tae bo?

Tae Bo is a portmanteau of tae kwon do and boxing. It uses the motions of martial arts at a rapid pace designed to promote fitness. This is pretty much what wikipedia says about it. Basically you pretend you are Neo beating the living days out of countless agents Smith :laugh: . You also do a lot of push-ups and stuff like that.

donKey jote
17th May 2012, 19:39
I'm just back from 3 days of fish & chips, pies and curries, so I probably need to get rid of 6 kilos just to get back to my normal 100kg :dozey:

Just back from 2 weeks on a forced diet :dozey: and down to 92 - or what I was 15 years ago.
Now I just have to see how long I can keep it down :erm: :andrea: :p

ioan
17th May 2012, 22:54
Just back from 2 weeks on a forced diet :dozey: and down to 92 - or what I was 15 years ago.
Now I just have to see how long I can keep it down :erm: :andrea: :p

You can go for another 2 weeks forced diet any time! :D

donKey jote
17th May 2012, 23:07
It's not really something I'd want to go through again :p

tfp
18th May 2012, 15:26
I have a question for the get fit club...I hurt my back at work yesterday, i have middle back aches and pains, I have already missed my daily sprint last night. Is it not a good idea to go out jogging with middle back pains or will it not affect me too much? I really dont want to leave it too long before I can run again!!

Garry Walker
20th May 2012, 13:01
I have a question for the get fit club...I hurt my back at work yesterday, i have middle back aches and pains, I have already missed my daily sprint last night. Is it not a good idea to go out jogging with middle back pains or will it not affect me too much? I really dont want to leave it too long before I can run again!!

I tend to follow the following principle - I am not a top athlete, I am not preparing for the olympics. My goal is to stay healthy and do sports for my own enjoyment. That means that whenever I suffer from some kind of injury, I try to cut down on exercises to get healthy again. So depending on how much pain you suffer from, a 2-3 day rest is not a bad idea.

ioan
20th May 2012, 22:30
I tend to follow the following principle - I am not a top athlete, I am not preparing for the olympics. My goal is to stay healthy and do sports for my own enjoyment. That means that whenever I suffer from some kind of injury, I try to cut down on exercises to get healthy again. So depending on how much pain you suffer from, a 2-3 day rest is not a bad idea.

Exactly.
Give it a rest for a couple of days, jogging with a back pain is not funny and will not help you get better, and you won't lose your form either, not even if you pause for a week.
BTW if it's not getting better within a week go see a chiropractor, they can solve the issue within 30 minutes.

2nd June 2012, 09:55
Madagascar 3 Movie Download Phone , download dvd Madagascar 3 , https://gist.github.com/2855392 - Madagascar 3 Movie Download Phone Buy And Download Madagascar 3 Movie Online

2nd June 2012, 10:24
Download Madagascar 3 Movie In Hd Formats , Where To Download Madagascar 3 Movie , Madagascar 3 Movie Download Avi | Download Madagascar 3 Movie For iPhone - Opera Widgets - Opera Community (http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1417592) - Madagascar 3 Movie Movie Download Link Madagascar 3 Movie film downloads

tfp
8th June 2012, 00:31
Thanks to Garry and Ioan for the advice :up: I think we should promote these two to the fitness thread moderators :)

Garry Walker
8th June 2012, 22:12
Thanks to Garry and Ioan for the advice :up: I think we should promote these two to the fitness thread moderators :)

:up:
Ioan and I as a team would promise more fireworks than in London on new years eve :D

I myself am suffering from a sickness at the moment, so all my training schedule is all messed up. Very depressing.

tfp
10th June 2012, 01:53
Ioan and I as a team would promise more fireworks than in London on new years eve :D

I myself am suffering from a sickness at the moment, so all my training schedule is all messed up. Very depressing.

Agh, no good, hope you get over the sickness soon!

I've got to be careful myself, I sprained my shoulder at work the other day, and my biking exercises are on hold :mad:

ioan
14th June 2012, 19:58

:laugh: Agree! :D

ioan
14th June 2012, 20:05
BTW I am not in the best shape of my life either right not, quite far from it in fact.

Last week end I took part in a 100 km bike race/marathon (it was the 2nd time I did it after last year's one), for which I prepared for about 8 weeks.
As I am not really fond of buying all kind of gadgets I only got myself one of those watches that measure the pulse, and as always I never used it until the race itself.
At the end of the race everyone was talking about various values like speed, distance and ofcourse pulse. And at this point I got a bit lost as I had a pulse of around 180 for 90% of the race while other people I was there with were all reporting peaks of 170.
So it looks that I need to get myself in better shape again.

Tazio
15th June 2012, 06:49
Exactly.
Give it a rest for a couple of days, jogging with a back pain is not funny and will not help you get better, and you won't lose your form either, not even if you pause for a week.
BTW if it's not getting better within a week go see a chiropractor, they can solve the issue within 30 minutes.Good advice ioan. I also recommend killing two birds with one stone. If you can get an Osteopath D.O. you have a doctor that can treat you with medicine, and do adjustments. They are generally more helpful than only a chiropractor. However not all DO's are created equal. Probably the most thorough primary care doctor I ever had was a DO when I did a 4 year stint in Las Vegas. But some of them are needle happy and want to fix soft tissue damage with cortisone. I had one in S.D. that shot me up after a long period of time when I tore some ankle ligament. It was miraculous as I had very little motion in that
joint for almost 6 months, and went out and competed the next day. The problem was that the tendons started getting soggy and weaker as time went on. I wish I had just ridden it out.

tfp
18th June 2012, 01:01
BTW I am not in the best shape of my life either right not, quite far from it in fact.

Last week end I took part in a 100 km bike race/marathon (it was the 2nd time I did it after last year's one), for which I prepared for about 8 weeks.
As I am not really fond of buying all kind of gadgets I only got myself one of those watches that measure the pulse, and as always I never used it until the race itself.
At the end of the race everyone was talking about various values like speed, distance and ofcourse pulse. And at this point I got a bit lost as I had a pulse of around 180 for 90% of the race while other people I was there with were all reporting peaks of 170.
So it looks that I need to get myself in better shape again.

I've had two of those things now, neither of which worked! What make/model do you use?

I must be doing something wrong, they would work for about 30 seconds and stop picking up my pulse, then I'd move them around a bit, then they would work for another 30 seconds or so and then stop working again. Very annoying when youre trying to keep your speed up on a bike ride!

Big Ben
18th June 2012, 08:36
It was a great week fit wise that last one. I managed to do some running, some time on the bikes at the gym, little weight lifting, 2 hours of tae bo, 4 hours of football... all in all a pretty good week.

GridGirl
18th June 2012, 23:00
I don't tend to take my pulse during exercise as it is always extremely high. I've had it all checked out and my fast heartbeat during exercise appears to be normal for me. It does freak others out when they see my heartbeat it 210bpm. :s

I've been trying hard when cycling lately and have been continually beating my personal best distances and times. I did my first ever ride over 100 miles a couple of weeks ago and manged to do 114km in five hours dead cycling time on Saturday.

ioan
20th June 2012, 18:57
I've had two of those things now, neither of which worked! What make/model do you use?

I must be doing something wrong, they would work for about 30 seconds and stop picking up my pulse, then I'd move them around a bit, then they would work for another 30 seconds or so and then stop working again. Very annoying when youre trying to keep your speed up on a bike ride!

Nothing special, one of the cheapest ones from Decathlon, called Geonaute something, paid about 15 Euros for it.
I picked it up last year when I visited a friend in France and only used 2 weeks ago, however it worked fine for 3 hours and a bit. If it is counting correctly or not that I can not tell.
I think I will use it more though in an attempt to improve my base fitness levels.

ioan
20th June 2012, 19:00
I don't tend to take my pulse during exercise as it is always extremely high. I've had it all checked out and my fast heartbeat during exercise appears to be normal for me. It does freak others out when they see my heartbeat it 210bpm. :s

I've been trying hard when cycling lately and have been continually beating my personal best distances and times. I did my first ever ride over 100 miles a couple of weeks ago and manged to do 114km in five hours dead cycling time on Saturday.

That sounds promising, keep it up.
Checked the stats on the watch yesterday, my highest pulse rate during last race was 198 bpm, it might be OK but I will still try to reduce it by 10% by the end of the year.

janneppi
5th July 2012, 19:54

I gave up on any goals on the road side as my work commute is so short, only 11km on one direction.
I've settled into a week rythm that gives me time on both bicycles. Monday, normal 11+ a 25-40km return trip. Tuesday and Wednesday 11+11 11+11, Thursday seems to be mountainbiking in the evening and on Fridays i've now taken the tractor to work and ride home using the trails.
Saturday or Sunday is either rest or mountain biking.

All this is subject to weather or motivation changes. :D

8th August 2012, 22:40
Many people usually feel that home security camera systems are excellent just for keeping track of what happens inside and out of a residence. However, it's not the only real way in which home security cameras are great for. There are plenty of other things that you can use Security Cameras for! Although their main purpose would be to watch your residence, they may be used for other things too. These cameras definitely are a worthwhile investment decision almost any homeowner tend to make. Home Security Cameras (http://infraredsecuritycam.posterous.com/)

Garry Walker
9th August 2012, 16:47
Many people usually feel that home security camera systems are excellent just for keeping track of what happens inside and out of a residence. However, it's not the only real way in which home security cameras are great for. There are plenty of other things that you can use Security Cameras for! Although their main purpose would be to watch your residence, they may be used for other things too. These cameras definitely are a worthwhile investment decision almost any homeowner tend to make. Home Security Cameras (http://infraredsecuritycam.posterous.com/)

I will be placing my order very soon for sure.
You wouldn't want to sell me some stock in Enron by the way?

henners88
9th August 2012, 18:47
I will be placing my order very soon for sure.
You wouldn't want to sell me some stock in Enron by the way?
I've got some 'Standard Chartered' shares you can buy off me if you like? Its a win win situation believe me ;)

Mark
9th August 2012, 21:11
Got my bike a couple of weeks ago. So far so good. :)

Cycling is pretty much the only thing where I can put a lot of effort in and it doesn't feel like torture!

J4MIE
10th August 2012, 08:15
I find cycling ok but as with everything find I can go slower which makes it a lot less effort :D When I move down here to the north east permanently I will buy a new mountain bike and spend more time cycling around forests, don't really enjoy going on the roads.

I am still aiming to get Mark to have a weekly badminton match on an evening, but so far he has wimped out :p :

Mark
10th August 2012, 09:43
I find cycling ok but as with everything find I can go slower which makes it a lot less effort :D When I move down here to the north east permanently I will buy a new mountain bike and spend more time cycling around forests, don't really enjoy going on the roads.

I am still aiming to get Mark to have a weekly badminton match on an evening, but so far he has wimped out :p :

Badminton? Nah. And road cycling is best anyway :mark:

J4MIE
10th August 2012, 09:56
Suggest something else indoors then :D

janneppi
10th August 2012, 19:05
Suggest something else indoors then :D
If you're into incredibly boring training, get a indoor trainer for a bicycle like I did last winter. 30 minute's spinning feels like two hours. :D

Today's commute back home was best so far, hour and half of singletrack, rocky sections, deep mud and horse manure, well worth the agony of riding 11km to work on tarmac in the tractor . :D

J4MIE
11th August 2012, 00:07
Sounds good apart from the manure :s

tfp
11th August 2012, 01:46

I try and avoid road cycling aswel. Where will you move to in the North East? If you like forest cycling,(if you havent been already) why not try Hamsterly forest? I may even meet you there :)

J4MIE
11th August 2012, 03:25
New office is on the outskirts of Sunderland, so will be somewhere within commuting distance. Working down there during the week and back home at weekends until the move is finalised and I find a house to rent.

Have looked at Hamsterley already but never actually been there before.

Mark
11th August 2012, 17:58
Just rode to Sunderland and back. Almost entirely off road :) .

My bike is a hybrid so can do the likes of well maintained ex railways but not really the rallying roads which I'm sure Jamie prefers!

Big Ben
13th August 2012, 15:17
Great weekend: Friday football, Saturday tennis and Gym, Sunday tennis and 8 kms of jogging. If only all of them would be the same.

gadjo_dilo
13th August 2012, 15:41
Great weekend: Friday football, Saturday tennis and Gym, Sunday tennis and 8 kms of jogging. If only all of them would be the same.

Impressive....If you continue like this your body will look like Alex Velea's.

tfp
14th August 2012, 00:52
Just rode to Sunderland and back. Almost entirely off road :) .

My bike is a hybrid so can do the likes of well maintained ex railways but not really the rallying roads which I'm sure Jamie prefers!

A good journey Mark, its been a couple of months since I did that route! Did you make it all the way to the coast line? Its about 27 miles round trip from where I am.

J4MIE
14th August 2012, 22:42
Got to get a proper bike carrier for my car roof before I can start cycling regularly without too much hassle strapping it to the back, that is plenty exercise in itself!!

Mark
15th August 2012, 09:46
A good journey Mark, its been a couple of months since I did that route! Did you make it all the way to the coast line? Its about 27 miles round trip from where I am.

Yeah started in Chester-le-Street and went to Seaburn on the C2C, play on the beach with the bairn and then came back via the old C2C alongside the Metro and then down to Penshaw on the old lines. About 30 mile round trip for me too so you must be nearby :)

Mark
15th August 2012, 09:47
Got to get a proper bike carrier for my car roof before I can start cycling regularly without too much hassle strapping it to the back, that is plenty exercise in itself!!

Been thinking about getting a carrier for my car, but might just go down the route of putting the back seat down and whacking it in the boot.

GridGirl
15th August 2012, 13:32
Been thinking about getting a carrier for my car, but might just go down the route of putting the back seat down and whacking it in the boot.

If its just one mountain bike or two road bikes and they have quick release wheels it is usually easier to invest in a boot bib or boot tray and put them in the car. When we went down to watch the Olympics I'd forgotten how loud the car is with the roof rack on. Not to mention the poor fuel enconomy. :(

ioan
15th August 2012, 14:29
Agree, I keep my bike in the back of the car, using a Saris quick release system. Very comfortable, silent and no fuel economy issues either.
Plus wherever I drive I have the bike with me ready to go.

janneppi
15th August 2012, 15:17
If its just one mountain bike or two road bikes and they have quick release wheels it is usually easier to invest in a boot bib or boot tray and put them in the car. When we went down to watch the Olympics I'd forgotten how loud the car is with the roof rack on. Not to mention the poor fuel enconomy. :(
My brother has Thule roof rack with two bike racks on the car during the summer, he says it adds 1 or 2 liter/100km of fuel consumption, depending on how many bikes he has up there.

I'm currently thinking of getting a bigger car, my current 3 door hatchback isn't really bike friendly. Roof racks don't work well in 3-door cars and lot of boot lid racks don't fit either. i can fit my bikes inside the car, but it's a bit of a hassle to take the wheels of and flip the car seats every time I need to take the bike somewhere, especially if it's dirty.

GridGirl
15th August 2012, 18:30
Our roof rack is Thule and fits on our Octavia Vrs. Its a four bike rack and we mostly only use it when we take both the mountain bikes and road bikes away with us, hense the poor fuel economy. If it is only two bikes that we need they usually fit in the back quite nicely with plenty of room for luggae and other assorted bike crap (technical term I know).

I am doing a 100km bike ride on Sunday with Bradley Wiggins. Its one of his training routes. I think it might hurt the legs a little so we didnt sign up for the 160km ride. Ad they say; no pain, no gain. :s

janneppi
15th August 2012, 19:02
Did actually test the roof rack today, my brother's bike has technical problems so I had to go with his kid in their weekly bike club ride.
The basic Thule Pro-ride, doesn't fit my bike that well, fatter tyres float too high. Long wheel base and tall fork means the bike is too forward in the rack.

But the ride was fun.

J4MIE
16th August 2012, 13:06
Will have to have a check at the weekend to see if it'll squeeze in the back, it does have a quick release wheel but it's probably rusted on due to long term laziness. Definitely a must have when I come to getting a new one. The car was certainly a lot slower (more than normal!) with it on the back.

Just need to hope I can get it in with my golf clubs and suitcase etc.

tfp
18th August 2012, 22:17
Yeah started in Chester-le-Street and went to Seaburn on the C2C, play on the beach with the bairn and then came back via the old C2C alongside the Metro and then down to Penshaw on the old lines. About 30 mile round trip for me too so you must be nearby :)

Sounds identical to the route I take, We may even join the old line C2C route at the same place :)

Mark
23rd August 2012, 10:58
Beside the Weathsheaf pub on the A167 Durham Road?

I'd been thinking about getting back into cycling for a good year or so, but there'd always been some reason not to, purchase price of the bike, "there's nowhere to put it" etc. But I went to see the Doc about my blood pressure a little while back and he was basically like "FFS, if you don't do something about this now you are going to have a heart attack or stroke and DIE. Do you want to see your kid grow up?".

I was like... man....

So, anyway, been cycling for a month now, dunno what my blood pressure is but my resting heart rate has gone down from 95-100 to a much more normal 75bpm, which is encouraging!

J4MIE
26th August 2012, 03:08
Have you been watching the Hairy Bikers Mark?

My dad has been doing what they are since Christmas and he is much much fitter and has lost a lot of weight, my mum and sister are embarking on it too. I don't need to lose weight but want to get fitter (just can't be bothered!)

Malbec
27th August 2012, 22:25
Guys, I need to pick your collective brains.

I'm thinking of taking up cycling again, at least for commuting. I've got an old cheap cruddy mountain bike I've fitted road tyres to, and I'm thinking of upgrading. The questions I have are... Is it better for a given price to go for a better frame with rubbish components or a worse frame with better components? Also I've got a low budget but I keep seeing loads of bikes sold for £1k plus. What difference could I expect to notice if I got a really expensive bike?

Thanks in advance.

GridGirl
27th August 2012, 23:21
In all honesty, I would dust off your old bike for a few weeks before deciding to invest in a new one, particularly if you're thinking about spending £1000 on a whim. Although now is a good time to buy a 2012 bike as they on sale due to 2013 bikes just being released. I take it that you want a hybrid or road bike then?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a better or worse frame. Do you mean aluminium versus carbon? A high spec alliminium bike will have far better components than a low spec carbon bike yet the difference will only be £100-£200. You would be paying extra for the lightness of the frame only and not the overall spec of the bike. You'd only get the decent spec on carbon by going up the range on a particular model but that would mean spending far more than it looks like you want to (£1500plus). One of the biggest differences you will notice going up the price range in road bikes is the brakes. Better spec will quite often mean better brakes. Then eventually it goes back to the issue of saving weight.

I can't really give you any more advice without knowing a bit more about what're specific bike you are wanting.

From GridGirl who didn't appear on The Cycle Show tonight unlike my other half! Grrrrr

Malbec
28th August 2012, 10:10
In all honesty, I would dust off your old bike for a few weeks before deciding to invest in a new one, particularly if you're thinking about spending £1000 on a whim. Although now is a good time to buy a 2012 bike as they on sale due to 2013 bikes just being released. I take it that you want a hybrid or road bike then?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a better or worse frame. Do you mean aluminium versus carbon? A high spec alliminium bike will have far better components than a low spec carbon bike yet the difference will only be £100-£200. You would be paying extra for the lightness of the frame only and not the overall spec of the bike. You'd only get the decent spec on carbon by going up the range on a particular model but that would mean spending far more than it looks like you want to (£1500plus). One of the biggest differences you will notice going up the price range in road bikes is the brakes. Better spec will quite often mean better brakes. Then eventually it goes back to the issue of saving weight.

I can't really give you any more advice without knowing a bit more about what're specific bike you are wanting.

From GridGirl who didn't appear on The Cycle Show tonight unlike my other half! Grrrrr

Thanks, but no my budget is nowhere near £1000k plus. If anything it'd be about half that. As such I'd be looking more at aluminium vs steel with carbon nowhere on the horizon I guess :(

I really haven't decided what to do at all yet, I may ride my old bike till it breaks or gets nicked, might go for a foldaway or a proper bike so just checking my options at the mo.

Mark
28th August 2012, 10:10
Guys, I need to pick your collective brains.

I'm thinking of taking up cycling again, at least for commuting. I've got an old cheap cruddy mountain bike I've fitted road tyres to, and I'm thinking of upgrading. The questions I have are... Is it better for a given price to go for a better frame with rubbish components or a worse frame with better components? Also I've got a low budget but I keep seeing loads of bikes sold for £1k plus. What difference could I expect to notice if I got a really expensive bike?

As GridGirl says, try your current bike for a while first, if for no other reason than you'll appreciate the upgrade when it comes!

If you are looking at just commuting exclusively on road - or gravel paths - I wouldn't bother upgrading the mountain bike but get a hybrid or even road bike.

When you say your budget is low - how low exactly? Sure you can spend £1k (and the rest!) on a bike, but in the same way you can spend £100,000 on a car too, it doesn't mean that it'll be better than one you'd pay £10,000 for, depending on what you want to use it for.

Malbec
28th August 2012, 10:13
If you are looking at just commuting exclusively on road - or gravel paths - I wouldn't bother upgrading the mountain bike but get a hybrid or even road bike.

If I get anything it'll be a hybrid or roadbike. I don't get to go off-road enough to make a mountain bike worthwhile.

Mark
28th August 2012, 10:16
Thanks, but no my budget is nowhere near £1000k plus. If anything it'd be about half that. As such I'd be looking more at aluminium vs steel with carbon nowhere on the horizon I guess :(

£500 is not a bad budget at all. I started out with a budget of £200, realised it would get me something heavy and slow and it gradually crept up until it got to £350, even then I've got the base mode - Trek FX 7.1 2013 btw.

I really haven't decided what to do at all yet, I may ride my old bike till it breaks or gets nicked, might go for a foldaway or a proper bike so just checking my options at the mo.

Personally for £500ish I'd go for one of these:
Trek 7.3 FX 2013 Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/73-fx-2013-hybrid-bike-ec040356) Trek FX 7.3 2013 all aluminium as opposed to mine which has steel forks.

But that's just my personal choice, something else might suit your personal situation better.

Malbec
28th August 2012, 13:53
£500 is not a bad budget at all. I started out with a budget of £200, realised it would get me something heavy and slow and it gradually crept up until it got to £350, even then I've got the base mode - Trek FX 7.1 2013 btw.

Personally for £500ish I'd go for one of these:
Trek 7.3 FX 2013 Hybrid Bike | Evans Cycles (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/73-fx-2013-hybrid-bike-ec040356) Trek FX 7.3 2013 all aluminium as opposed to mine which has steel forks.

But that's just my personal choice, something else might suit your personal situation better.

Funny, those bikes are the exact range that got me into trouble... and my hypothetical budget started off at the same point and grew to £500 for the same reasons.

I'll have to go off and have a proper think about the whole thing.

Mark
28th August 2012, 14:12
As said above, you have a bike at the moment, get riding it, and learn what you do and don't like about it, then you'll be better informed when you come to buy. The process will take a little while so better to be riding a junker than nothing! But don't let your budget fall too low - I'm wishing I'd gone for the 7.3 now myself!