PDA

View Full Version : Why?

GeeBee2
22nd July 2007, 21:18
Would someone please explain why we didn't run the V8's after the first pickup race this afternoon?

The rain was forecast for 1600-1630 and the only formula present today that couldn't run in the rain had their last race just as a cloud that looked like it hid an Independence Day mother ship loomed over the turn 1 grandstand!

I was already a bit miffed cos we were staying a fair way from the circuit on Saturday night so didn't rush this morning. We turned up at 1030 just in time to hear the commentator say that Hunter had one the first race. Then to have a 5(?) lap race that ended in the only rain showere we'd had all day seemed a really duff bit of planning. (an I was out at turn 3 so got a "bit" wet walking back. Big thanks to the person driving the marshall bus who passed my twice!)

On a positive note, apart from the V8 cock-ups, all the other racing was brilliant! All the clubby stuff gave us really good close racing especially a couple of the Caterham races and the Pickups were fabulous as usual.

Roll on August and lets see some V8s, PLEASE!

Stuart26
22nd July 2007, 21:26
I think its because the powers that be dont give a monkey's about the Stock cars. I cant think of any other reason,and it seemed to be a lifetime before we saw the PUT on track today.Moving the first race was a brainstorm then they got forgotten.At least we got 20 Caterham races

turn 4 mad
22nd July 2007, 21:38
At least we got 20 Caterham races

ask about the caterhams, and you will find out why we were left in the rain!

spawn_e_git
22nd July 2007, 21:57
Yeah it was a bit of a shambles.

All the V8 cars were ready after the 1st truck race and all the spotters were complaining that they were not allowed out even though there was a good chance of rain when the V8's were due.

I feel for the V8 drivers. They are facing a diminishing field, playing 2nd fiddle to the PUT's and then they cannot even get the racing time because the organisers would not "tweak" the schedule.

If we was in the midst of a blistering summer and the rain was a freak then I would understand, but the fact is this is so far the worst summer I can remember and everything should have been done to allow the V8's to run.

Dave17
22nd July 2007, 22:23
Big thanks to the person driving the marshall bus who passed my twice!

I love being thanked. Thought you were enjoying the bracing weather you so obviously were expecting and wandered to the furthest point from any shelter to gain full benefit of it.

Were you the same snapper I had to tell twice to get out of my line of site between post 11 & 12 on the infield by any chance.....Oh and its MARSHAL with one "L"

darknessrock
22nd July 2007, 22:29
:) :) :) :)

darknessrock
22nd July 2007, 22:43
how come you passed them twice Dave? some wet weather minibus racing going on that i missed?

LessThanSte
23rd July 2007, 00:07
Agree with this post. The spotters were all on the gantry, the cars appeared to be all ready, and much arguing ensued, only for them to carry on regardless and, surprise surprise, it rained.

Feel for the drivers, especially those with the long commutes, piece of idiotic race organisation really, imo.

No wonder this series comes so close to dieing, with decisions like that!

racing59
23rd July 2007, 00:21
Yeah it was a bit of a shambles.

All the V8 cars were ready after the 1st truck race and all the spotters were complaining that they were not allowed out even though there was a good chance of rain when the V8's were due.

I feel for the V8 drivers. They are facing a diminishing field, playing 2nd fiddle to the PUT's and then they cannot even get the racing time because the organisers would not "tweak" the schedule.

If we was in the midst of a blistering summer and the rain was a freak then I would understand, but the fact is this is so far the worst summer I can remember and everything should have been done to allow the V8's to run.

May I speak.

As has been said. We were ready. The C's refused to move, or they would spit their dummies and go home. To me, they are "guests in 'our' manor" and should behave with understanding and respect, and if our co-ordinators go to them and say "our main championship does not run in the rain, and we need to run them now to make sure they do run in the dry" then they should bite their lips, and live with it.

The issue with the pickup trucks, as I understand it, was one of "I don't think we can get away with changing the schedule again - the stewards of the meeting won't wear it" That was a race control decision.

Even though Sonny was happy to swap, given that he would have seen a full complement end up on the grid for their second race with a further 40-45 minutes to play with.

The issue, to me, is that we are seeing race meetings with us, the trucks, and lots of in-fill formulae to make up the day (and help pay towards the 100/min that it costs to hire the circuit), and that brings the possibility of lots of changes to the program that some CoC's are not willing to handle or put up with. In the old days, it was ASCAR's and Pickups, and Terry Grant doing donuts. The schedule could be much more fluid easily.

There are a large number (in terms of percentage) of V8 people who, as of right now, are very very unhappy.

V8 race 2 should have ended with a red flag, not a chequer, in my opinion, and then been declared void/null/did not really happen.

I want to see you all there in August, because you are the most loyal bunch of people I have ever met in a racing series. I want to be there.

If you are dissatisfied with the way the meeting went, please write, on paper or email, to Ian Brown at the BRSCC - he's the man at the top (operationally), the buck stops there.

The one thing we all agree on is that this form of motorsport is unlike any other in this country, it is an entertainment, and the fans should come first.

If they keep canning these races, how can I do my donuts in front of the fans in the stands when I learn how to go fast enough to see Chigley first.....

Fans first. Caterhams - you know where the gate is.

V8 FAN
23rd July 2007, 00:34
[quote="racing59"]

I want to see you all there in August, because you are the most loyal bunch of people I have ever met in a racing series. I want to be there

If you are dissatisfied with the way the meeting went, please write, on paper or email, to Ian Brown at the BRSCC - he's the man at the top (operationally), the buck stops there.

The one thing we all agree on is that this form of motorsport is unlike any other in this country, it is an entertainment, and the fans should come first.

WELL SAID!!! the more emails mr Ian Brown gets! the more he may think of the FANS! Come on Mr Brown "Listen to the people who pay to watch"

LessThanSte
23rd July 2007, 00:47
Hm, didnt realise that about the Caterhams, explains a lot. Who were sayign that, the caterham officials or the drivers? I'd suspect not the drivers, infact, i'd suspect that if they were suddenly told they were not goingto be racing and would instead be going home because some organiser didnt like to move his race, there'd be more arguments than you could shake a stick at!

racing59
23rd July 2007, 00:54
Hm, didnt realise that about the Caterhams, explains a lot. Who were sayign that, the caterham officials or the drivers? I'd suspect not the drivers, infact, i'd suspect that if they were suddenly told they were not goingto be racing and would instead be going home because some organiser didnt like to move his race, there'd be more arguments than you could shake a stick at!

I should be off to bed but...

As I understand it, it was probably a combination of further up the tree BRSCC officials not wanting to upset a jolly good customer like Caterham Cars who buy many grids for their championships from BRSCC meetings. As well as Caterham drivers who think that they are real racing drivers and should come ahead of some Yankee Stock Car yee-hars.

Which is why you see so many Caterham drivers queing up to do rookie training. Or not, as they just don't have what it takes.

Am I bitter.

Like a lemon with salt on.

Last year, when Ian Brown took over the running of the BRSCC, I hoped for a new dawn in the club. Things have improved in some areas, but now I see that many old ways still remain. It is not my place to air dirty laundry in public, so I will shut up, and do it in the right places.

Tony Hurdle
23rd July 2007, 07:39
V8 race 2 should have ended with a red flag, not a chequer, in my opinion, and then been declared void/null/did not really happen.

I agree with Rob's view above. It was chaos. We were ready to go, strapped in, engines running only to be told we're out at 4.30. Yeah right!!!! And lo, the heavens opened. The Pick-Ups, as I understand, were prepared to swap their second race with us but were told not to.

I think someone was very cute with the rules declaring the race valid. I understood we had to cover 60% of the race distance for the race to be valid. Obviously for a 35 lap race this wouldn't be the case. Therefore, because the chequered flag was waved at about ten laps and we had gone 6-7; I can't really remember as I was too busy trying to see where I was going; the " powers that be" could declare the race valid. Hmmmmmmmm However, I'm also led to believe, under the regulations, we should have been told there was one lap to go prior to the chequer. I certainly didn't hear that. So there might have been a possibility to challenge the decision. I'm not sure about this so will have to wait and see.

All I would say finally is, if you know anyone who came along yesterday and paid to watch, support us and felt cheated, let down etc then perhaps they might like to ask questions of the BRSCC.

Forum Buddy
23rd July 2007, 08:55
Tony and Rob and Bravheart who post and all the other SCSA drivers not on here.

I agree with your disappointment, and for all the SCSA drivers, and teams, what a watse of time for you all.

BRSCC what are thinking, and has I said in the "This Weekend" thread, I will be sending my email to BRSCC.

I don't feel cheated, just sadden that they didn't allow to race, before the PUT. For me,I really to do like PUT as they are oval kings and queens, but I also come to see SCSA the most.

Perhaps the BRSCC and race control have an unlining issue here.

I will be writing the BRSCC an email, but probably to no avail.

It does not help the series or the oval racing I believe.

Sad for you all.

bravheart
23rd July 2007, 09:10

I agree with Rob's view above. It was chaos. We were ready to go, strapped in, engines running only to be told we're out at 4.30. Yeah right!!!! And lo, the heavens opened. The Pick-Ups, as I understand, were prepared to swap their second race with us but were told not to.

I think someone was very cute with the rules declaring the race valid. I understood we had to cover 60% of the race distance for the race to be valid. Obviously for a 35 lap race this wouldn't be the case. Therefore, because the chequered flag was waved at about ten laps and we had gone 6-7; I can't really remember as I was too busy trying to see where I was going; the " powers that be" could declare the race valid. Hmmmmmmmm However, I'm also led to believe, under the regulations, we should have been told there was one lap to go prior to the chequer. I certainly didn't hear that. So there might have been a possibility to challenge the decision. I'm not sure about this so will have to wait and see.

All I would say finally is, if you know anyone who came along yesterday and paid to watch, support us and felt cheated, let down etc then perhaps they might like to ask questions of the BRSCC.

I would also like to add, it took me over nearly 2 years to get our sponsors! and after this weekend??? and the calls i have received from them last night! They to are very very unhappy!

The Fans support is needed NOW more than ever before! drop the BRSCC an email ..You guys could help make a difference,

Oh yes, i can tell you that, Colin gave back his trophy yesterday! "HUNTER"

madphotog
23rd July 2007, 09:25
Shambles was a word heard within the pit lane last night. Sponsors, some of which had travelled a long way and didn't get there in time for the first race at 10.00 in the morning (of which nothing was even whispered to my knowledge on Saturday evening), were left fuming and wondering why they are involved at all.

Suppose there wasn't too many officials of the BRSCC around at the end last night as they were probably arranging their visit to the local brewery and getting that completely wrong as well.

Nice to hear from Rob and Tony once things had calmed down a little. Most of us were trying not to post anything too quickly as we may have said a few things that people supposidly in authority didn't like....well tough... so lets all write to the BRSCC.

MADWOMAN is even putting in her two penneth...

I would like to praise Colin White and his CWS team for their committment in even getting to the circuit and cannot speak highly enough of Shane Brereton who despite being ill most of the weekend took part in race one, brought his car back into the pitlane and promptly passed out. Having received attention from the medical team, we saw even more commitment by his determination to come out for race 2..... sorry that should read Farce 2.

So (and apologies to all the other teams and drivers )

CWS and Shane Commitment 2 v BRSCC NIL.... bit of an own goal there then although they would probably even miss that.

EarWig
23rd July 2007, 09:43
Well said Tony and Rob

As a 2006/2007 car owner and enthusiast of this series since it's inception I am more than disappointed in the way the whole meeting went this weekend.

Someone may like to ask the following questions of the organisers, BRSCC

Saturday:
Why were we given only 10 minutes practice on track before our "race"
These cars have not been driven in anger since the April meeting, our drivers need to be 100% happy with the cars before they go side by side racing.

Why was our afternoon race cut to 20 laps?
We and our driver Duncan Gray were not told until lap 17 that the race was to be reduced to 20 laps and we found out via our spotter!

There appeared to be plenty of time left in the schedule to complete the 35 laps and possibly allow us to have a practice sessions and possibly qualifying for Sundays race.

Sunday

A total fiasco in my opinion.

The race programme clearly states:
Timetable subject to change at the discretion of the orgnisers

V8 trophy web site clearly states:
Rain Policy
In the event of rain, racing will continue with the exception of the V8 Trophy Cars.
These vehicles are not equipped to race in the rain. Safety of the drivers is paramount at the high speeds of these cars.
All other on and off track activities will continue where possible.

BRSCC issued timetable says
ALL TIMES ARE PROVISIONAL & MAY BE CHANGED WITHOUT NOTICE.

Caterham drivers, teams and management - can you read?

On behalf of Team Networking I would like to say a very special thank you to The Mark Willis family and their 2 race teams for their support and friendship and to Sonny and all the PUT teams who tried to help all our teams through this weekend.

We also have to remember and thank our sponsors and all the race fans who come to support us and enjoy oval racing with the V8’s and PUTs. In my opinion you were robbed of a potentially great race on Sunday by ineptitude and bad planning.

To those drivers in our series who were happy to accept the cups for 1st and second place and call the episode on Sunday a “race” you should, in my opinion, follow the example of a true oval racing legend and return them to BRSCC as protest at the way the series was treated this weekend.

Some serious steps need to be taken by the V8 trophy series to ensure our loyal race fans and our paying sponsors get the track time and racing they deserve

Observations:

Parc Ferme:

If the race was declared “a race” by Clerk of the course and the regulations state that all cars must return to Parc Ferme after a race why were the V8 trophy cars redirected to their pits by the officials rather than Parc Ferme?

Rain:

After the race was stopped a race commentator did announce over the PA system ”Yes we were told it would rain at 4.30 today”
If this was a known fact why were we asked to race at 4.30 pm?

People to complain to:

Chairman of BRSCC – B Cottrell
Clerk of the Course (21st/22nd July 2007) – B Cottrell (Caterham Roadsports) – G Copeland – N Barter

Information:

BRSCC Regulations for V8 trophy
http://www.v8trophy.com/pdfs/SCSA_Regulations_2007[1].pdf

Races:

Sections 3.5.1, 3.5.2, 3.5.3

3.5.1 The standard scheduled event format is two races. The first race is for a minimum distance of 35 laps, the second race is the feature race this being for a minimum distance of 35 laps. Should any race distance be reduced at the discretion of the Clerk of the Course or the
Stewards of the meeting it shall still count as a full points scoring round.
3.5.2 The races at each individual round and/or event will be programmed to meet the structured format. If for any reason either of the races is reduced in distance, this race will still count as part of the championship, without any adjustment to the other races in respect of equality of laps. This is done on the basis that every driver will race in each race; therefore any race reduction is equal for all concerned irrespective of whether drivers were placed at the back of the grid or not.
3.5.3 If for any reason a race cannot be run or deemed not to be run, then compensatory points will be awarded to all drivers scheduled in that race. The number of points awarded will be
calculated by taking the total number of points available for the race as per the points system,
divided by the number of scheduled starters, all calculated to the nearest five points.

On a personal note:

To Colin and Keith White and their team and to Shane Brereton, a herculean effort to get there this weekend despite the weather.
To Shane Brereton, despite the long journey and feeling very ill you showed the race fans this weekend the dedication, commitment and enthusiasm to the V8 Trophy series that we all try to show, and you proved to our supporters how committed we all are to trying to support Oval V8 racing in this Country.

To all our loyal race fans, friends and sponsors I can only say that all teams were ready to race, the decisions taken on the 2 days were beyond our control.

Ray
Team Networking

Abo
23rd July 2007, 11:03
I really to do like PUT as they are oval kings and queens

Which ones are the queens? ;) :p

Abo
23rd July 2007, 11:10
Can I suggest that rather than send an email, write a formal letter and send it by post. Or at least send the email and back it up with a letter. IMHO the recipient may take it more seriously as it takes nothing to fire off an email (and nothing for them to reply with a stock answer), but writing and posting a letter helps show you are serious.

You have the names, the address is:

British Racing & Sports Car Club
Homesdale Business Centre
Platt Industrial Estate
Maidstone Road
Borough Green
Kent
TN15 8JL

And if you do write to them, don't rant, hurl abuse etc. etc. Be professional and to the point; if you abuse them (regardless of how abused you feel yourself) they won't read it.

JovialJooles
23rd July 2007, 11:21
Gosh!

I don't think I have ever seen a series of posts like this from team members before.

Ever...

I hope lessons can be learnt from Sunday.

I can't comment, as I was only there on Saturday.

Julian.

deadsquirrel
23rd July 2007, 11:30
I love being thanked. Thought you were enjoying the bracing weather you so obviously were expecting and wandered to the furthest point from any shelter to gain full benefit of it.

Were you the same snapper I had to tell twice to get out of my line of site between post 11 & 12 on the infield by any chance.....Oh and its MARSHAL with one "L"

Before this descends into a slanging match, might I step between you and suggest a handshake and exchange of pleasant PM's?

Dave - GeeBee2 is a regular photographer at SCSA events, and his work regularly appears on BBC sites. I am sure therefore that explaining clearly why you need a clear line of sight between the flag points on your section of track, GeeBee2 would accomodate and respect your request, yet still allow some good pics to be acquired.

GeeBee2 - in Dave's defence, he must feel like Fisichella at a GP, the amount of 'encouragement' he gets to speed up to have the marshals to either the infield or oval posts for racing to commence. Therefore, if he wasn't able to stop to help you get out of the weather, it wouldn't be through malice, but rather a complete lack of time; and if he stops for you, he would be expected to stop for other photog's and therefore be even further behind.

Be positive :)

racing59
23rd July 2007, 11:50
Abo has spoken. Pay attention here people - if you choose to write to Mr Bernard Cotterel (cc Ian Brown) of the BRSCC, make sure you register your disquiet with the way that the meeting was run with known weather forecasts.

Please do not refer to issues discussed on this forum, as that will detract from the "power" of your letter. Hearsay evidence is not permitted in court!!

racing59
23rd July 2007, 11:57
GeeBee2, I don't think I've ever seen any pics from Turn2/3 area. I bet (hope) they look good.

EarWig
23rd July 2007, 12:18
Abo has spoken. Pay attention here people - if you choose to write to Mr Bernard Cotterel (cc Ian Brown) of the BRSCC, make sure you register your disquiet with the way that the meeting was run with known weather forecasts.

Please do not refer to issues discussed on this forum, as that will detract from the "power" of your letter. Hearsay evidence is not permitted in court!!

Quite correct Rob

Ray

The White Lady
23rd July 2007, 12:40
happy to put the text of my letter here if anyone wants to check it before I send it? :)

GeeBee2
23rd July 2007, 13:19
Dave, it wasn't me you had to tell to move. I never get in Marshals way. My only venture into the infireld was for the pitlane this weekend. If I really did want a lift I would have stuck my thumb out, and probably got it knocked off!!

Racing59 - I'll try getting the pics on the net and post a link. Turn 2 is a pretty good spot for close ups and full field pics, although it can get a bit exciting. The last lap of the PUT race being a prime example!

PitMarshal
23rd July 2007, 13:43
I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in the way things turned out as well. From the infield it was obvious that bad weather was rolling in and was going to hit long before the cars could get into their stride. Even with all the other alleged shennanigans going on behind the sceenes, at the very least they could / should have had their timeslot swapped with the PUT's, but it seems to me that for some reason this season it's always been the V8's that have got shafted by the timetabling. Hopefully the fact that every team member or driver that has posted so far has been negative about what happened will make someone sit up and take notice, but personally I doubt it very much.
Due to other commitments I definitely won't be at the August meeting and probably won't be at the Ovalfest, so I just hope there will still be a V8 series to come back to next year. Right now I wouldn't hold a grudge against any team or driver that decided their entry money would be better off spent elsewhere.

car20
23rd July 2007, 13:54
like everyone one on this forum we go to Rockingham with great anticipation on the days racing bee it 6 cars or 26 cars!

I have been at a loss though why the past two years why drivers and teams have taken a step back and not chose to race there cars! (no more cars,not many fans!) ( more cars, more fans) apart from the hard core fans(like me :D )

but the way i see it we can add Brscc to the list of names the would like to see V8 oval racing die and go back across the pond!

lack of advertising is another past discusion, teams have worked hard getting a title sponsor and sponsors for the cars.

Rockingham has never been held in high regard despite being superb race track for viewing and facilites,

And neither has the press (the guy in Autosport always likes to slag it off can't remember his name has a thing towards the back)

After this weekend I can half see why drivers and teams are a little reluctant to return Everyone is against the series.

from a fans view the burger vans are getting worse(my own view) and feel sorry for the 2 stalls, nothing now for kids I know it is a race track but all the kids like litle kids that are taken need a little more.

Please I need my monthly V8 fix pleasse dont let it die!

FRWW
23rd July 2007, 14:08
How Sunday turned out. I appreciate the fact that the Caterhams wanted to race when they did however they should of been advised about the V8's not being able to race in wet weather, may be they were I'm not sure?? But after all it is the V8's home and only track that they race on at the moment.

Refering to Tony's post - I also thought for a race to be declared you had to complete at least 60% of it ??? I'll ask the other half for the rule book later to find out if this is the case.

I just don't understand what happened, first I was told the V8's are out at 4:30pm, then 1:30pm, then 1:20pm, then 4:30 again - gosh make your mind up ! I know a lot of people who are not very happy at the way things turned out I just hoped the matters can be overcome so that we can have a race meeting in August.

Here's hoping xx

race_fan
23rd July 2007, 14:35
Let's get things into perspective here, I have read this forum on regular occassions but have never felt the need to post here before. I am a fan of oval racing but have been disappointed at the lack of V8's in recent years.
Although the Pickups are putting on the best show you could ever have in motorsport they & Rockingham needs another race series to keep the oval dream alive. However & this is where some of the guys looking through rose tinted glasses are going to get on there high horse. The V8 "race's" were an orchestrated farce, to do 20 odd laps around 41 seconds & then race for a few laps at the end, (36 seconds) is not fair on the paying public, never mind be-littling the quality of the guys at the front, I know everyone wants to keep it close & exciting but 5 seconds a lap slower & "your turn to lead now" is a joke. Regardless of timetable shuffling because of weather etc, lets talk about the proper issue and keep racing real!!!

cameronian
23rd July 2007, 15:35
with all these threads on the same subject I could knit a scarf.
But hopefully it will let the BRSCC see the strength of feeling from the fans on the subject of their incompetence regarding SCSA/V8

JovialJooles
23rd July 2007, 15:36
Although the Pickups are putting on the best show you could ever have in motorsport they & Rockingham needs another race series to keep the oval dream alive.

OK, I admit it, I'm blue in the face now...

Just to clarify for those at the back, Rockingham no longer have anything to do with organising the racing that takes place at the circuit. They rent the circuit out to clubs, eg BRSCC and BARC. They now have other commercial interests, SED and the corporate days that bring in the money. IT is PUT and SCSA (Or V8 Trophy - whatever) that need to get another series involved.

However & this is where some of the guys looking through rose tinted glasses are going to get on there high horse. The V8 "race's" were an orchestrated farce, to do 20 odd laps around 41 seconds & then race for a few laps at the end, (36 seconds) is not fair on the paying public, never mind be-littling the quality of the guys at the front, I know everyone wants to keep it close & exciting but 5 seconds a lap slower & "your turn to lead now" is a joke. Regardless of timetable shuffling because of weather etc, lets talk about the proper issue and keep racing real!!!

If you are referring to Saturday, the track was still damp when they went out, and the dryer it got, the faster the cars got. If you are referring to Sunday, I wasn't there but I suspect it would be the same case.

If you want them to run 36 second laps from the start on a damp track, I presume you are willing to pay the repair bills once they've paid a visit to the wall?

JovialJooles
23rd July 2007, 15:42
with all these threads on the same subject I could knit a scarf.
But hopefully it will let the BRSCC see the strength of feeling from the fans on the subject of their incompetence regarding SCSA/V8

You are assuming that BRSCC read this forum..?

Since Rockingham stopped organising the race meetings and Jeff Carter left, this has been an unofficial forum. Duane has posted here occasionally on behalf of SCSA, but that is as far as it goes.

I am certainly not aware of any member of BRSCC posting on here.

Julian

JovialJooles
23rd July 2007, 15:56
Just a thought...

I wonder if we are getting closer to the formation of a new club?

One that can promote the interests of PUT and SCSA and take over the running of the race weekends with the focus being on the oval rather than the infield and the traditional circuit club boys?

I wonder how feasible this is?

Could this solve the MSA licence issue also?

Abo
23rd July 2007, 16:59
Just a thought...

I wonder if we are getting closer to the formation of a new club?

One that can promote the interests of PUT and SCSA and take over the running of the race weekends with the focus being on the oval rather than the infield and the traditional circuit club boys?

I wonder how feasible this is?

Could this solve the MSA licence issue also?

Motorfest isn't organised by BRSCC, it's organised by people focussed on oval racing...

JovialJooles
23rd July 2007, 17:01
Motorfest isn't organised by BRSCC, it's organised by people focussed on oval racing...

Yes indeedee...

Dave17
23rd July 2007, 17:17
I going to take my "orange" hat off and comment from a spectators point of veiw about Sunday.
1) The V8's are a support series to the pickups.
2) At the moment the V8's seem to be putting on an off pace demonstration of formation driving for the first two thirds of the race distance (how else was Shane able to catch the pack so easely only to reduce his pace to the packs when he caught them, at the speed he was laping at he could have breezed past all of them). It is not proper racing, so don't kid ourselves that it is, its just putting on a show which in itself is probably a good thing as watching Colin disappear into the distance from lap 1 is not a good idea.
3) I was as suprised as anyone that the V8's did not follow the first Pickup race but when you consider 40 odd Caterham drivers against 10 V8 drivers.... I think you get the jist.
4) The most important fact has been overlooked. IF the V8's had raced after the first PuT race it would have made the PuT's second race start later and we would have been denied what turned out to be the best race of the weekend because the rain would have interveaned.
5) There was only 10 minutes left before the curfew when the race was brought to a halt
6) The BRSCC run a race meeting for ALL competitors and must not show favoritism to any class of car.

The old saying that you can't please all of the people all of the time comes to mind.

I'm now donning my orange again to show that we had a fraught day as well.
1) We had to make an extra trip to the oval for the change at the start of the day.
2) We had to stay on post while the two wheel activity took place. Why was that not held during the dinner break. More to the point, why was it held at all, it was a CAR meeting!
3) Because of the above we had just enough time to get back to the paddock, grab some sandwiches and then back on post-no dinner BREAK!
4) Some other things that I am not prepared to go into made the whole day very exhausting and at times considerably stressfull.

I love oval racing and in my roll as a Post Marshal, Turn 1 observer and yes, even down to driving the bus, I am fully commited to try and make it work.
However even with that said I sometimes ask myself if my efforts are worth it and would my marshalling services be better directed at more popular meetings that clash with the Rockingham weekends. Will I be back in August............of course, Im a Rockingham Oval Marshal-it says so on my hat!!

Abo
23rd July 2007, 17:33
Yes indeedee...

So how about a 'mini' Motorfest every month? A scaled down, one day event (with qualifying on the Saturday for those who need it)...

With appropriate promotion, of course :D

cameronian
23rd July 2007, 19:33
The idea of a regular " Mini" Motorfest as outlined by Abo culminatinng in a season spectacular in Sept. sounds like an idea worth investigating.
If it works it would bring the short and long oval fans together for the benefit of both .
Well worth checking out.
As for BRSCC officials seeing this forum I'm pretty sure the guy who looks after season passes certainly views even if he doesn't contribute.

turn 4 mad
23rd July 2007, 22:12
If you want them to run 36 second laps from the start on a damp track, I presume you are willing to pay the repair bills once they've paid a visit to the wall?

i agree

Chigley
23rd July 2007, 22:14
I am certainly not aware of any member of BRSCC posting on here.

Julian, you won't get anyone from BRSCC posting officially on here but their are senior (ish) officials who occasionally post privately on here and do have conversations with those on the top floor. So the forum members views are known to the BRSCC. :)

turn 4 mad
23rd July 2007, 22:17
As for BRSCC officials seeing this forum I'm pretty sure the guy who looks after season passes certainly views even if he doesn't contribute.

ah that would be dominic ostrowski

Chigley
23rd July 2007, 22:36
Dave I'm going to take issue with some of your comments but I'm not going into other areas that I'm knowledgeable about but its it's not my place to comment.

how else was Shane able to catch the pack so easely only to reduce his pace to the packs when he caught them, at the speed he was laping at he could have breezed past all of them).
Shane did throw caution to the wind in his chase of the pack after pitting on the one to go lap. However, yes the pack is still being cautious in the opening phase of the race, but, they are also schooling rookies in the art of running in a pack, thus promoting safer racing in the future when the rookies get some experience under their belts. Shane's chase diminished as we now know because he was unwell and collapsed in the pit lane after the race. Seeing him laid out unmoving on a stretcher its a testiment to him that he keep himself together in the car a didn't put it in the wall. He was still racing at the end of the race and hadn't thrown the towel in.

Why was that not held during the dinner break. More to the point, why was it held at all, it was a CAR meeting!

The BRSCC are contracted to the clubs who provide the lunchtime entertainment and also provide an alternative source of motoring. The Harleys and Craig have always put on an excellent display and are very well greeted by the public. Without some diversity we become just another circuit.

Because of the above we had just enough time to get back to the paddock, grab some sandwiches and then back on post-no dinner BREAK!

You know as well as I do that it is far from uncommon to not get a break or to have it shortened. However, we do get provided with a lunch which is a rarity and very welcome, and those who could not get back to pick their lunches up had it delivered to them. How many other circuits do you get that. Bravo BRSCC for that you are looking after the gang.

I'm going to post a bit more about the weekend separately.

Dave17
23rd July 2007, 23:15
You know as well as I do that it is far from uncommon to not get a break or to have it shortened. However, we do get provided with a lunch which is a rarity and very welcome, and those who could not get back to pick their lunches up had it delivered to them. How many other circuits do you get that. Bravo BRSCC for that you are looking after the gang.

At the other meetings bar Rockingham I've done this year (22)I have had at least 1/2 hrs break.
I'd rather have a decent sit down and rest and bring my own food. Other clubs GUARANTEE their marshals a dinner break. (and don't forget Ian, you only have one job to do. Flaging, phoneing in and keeping an eye on an incidents progress all at the same time and is normally done by 3 marshals
then dashing though a gravel trap to retreve mudgaurds is no joke )

Its no wonder "normal" marshals don't want to do Rockingham is it?

EarWig
23rd July 2007, 23:15
Did anyone notice how many race fans stayed to the end to see us race?
A very large number indeed!

I wonder how many were first time race fans there to support the various charities that some of our teams sport on their cars?
RAF
Air Ambulance
Ben
Crimestoppers
FSNBF

That also make me wonder what type of report will get back to these mainstream charities and what the repercussions may be for them in terms of potential donation losses?

Thanks should go to all organisers who did try to help us this weekend.

Ray

racing59
24th July 2007, 00:03
Seconded.

Rob.

Jordygirl
24th July 2007, 10:45

I hope you're not suggesting that I'm not "normal" Dave ! Heaven forbid :rotate:

JovialJooles
24th July 2007, 10:49
I hope you're not suggesting that I'm not "normal" Dave ! Heaven forbid :rotate:

erm...

What were you wearing on your bonce at the weekend? :erm:

Dave17
24th July 2007, 16:02

No, but any marshal who has to work under the sort of pressure we have to endure must be slightly abnormal!!

While i'm at it, can someone please tell me where the smilies are on this new danfangled forum layout!

wends
25th July 2007, 00:02

Dave, You're trying to encourage marshals to come along, not put them off!! I think you'll find at a lot of meetings marshals are undermanned and end up multi-tasking. Plus there so much on every weekend the choice is very hard.

JDPower
25th July 2007, 05:06
Well I think everything has been said that I was gonna post. I was extremely disappointed at the end of the day, I missed the saturday race due to it being moved (understandable). Missed the first sunday race due to it being moved to the morning (with no prior warning), despite the days weather looking promising. Thats as many races as I've missed in 6 years! Then to top it off the, inevitable to everyone but the BRSCC, rained off race. And possibly a rained of race that needn't have been rained off as I heard one driver say the track was virtually dry and it had stopped raining a few mins after the race was stopped.

A, kind of, positive for SCSA was that the spectators could clearly see the cars lined up and ready to go for the entire afternoon, so most spectators I think will have the impression it wasn't their fault they weren't out sooner (that was certainly what I heard being discussed when leaving).

The BRSCC have to start listening to, and respecting, the teams and drivers otherwise SCSA is a lost cause. I just hope they have learned a lesson from this shambles of a day as I've never experienced such a downbeat atmosphere when leaving Rockingham.