PDA

View Full Version : ABC/ESPN coverage - Unwatchable?

NickFalzone
22nd July 2007, 20:54
I'd say a good half the race is shown in that side-by-side crap with commercials taking up most of the screen and all the sound. Then another third is the local promos/commercials - We're talking 3-5 minutes at most of real racing - which of course is cut down more with their behind the scenes crap. I'd almost prefer to listen to it on the radio.

Jonesi
22nd July 2007, 21:30
I think you'll find that commercials are never more than 1/3 of the time and sometimes as low as 1/4.

NickFalzone
22nd July 2007, 22:34
I think you'll find that commercials are never more than 1/3 of the time and sometimes as low as 1/4.

What percentage of the broadcast is the actual racing (not in some corner of the screen without sound). I'd say 25-30%. That's pathetic.

call_me_andrew
23rd July 2007, 00:36
Where can you find OW racing (save for the I-500) on the radio?

NickFalzone
23rd July 2007, 00:54
XM and/or the Indycar.com in-car broadcast.

gm99
23rd July 2007, 00:55
All the IRL races are on the IMS radio network on XM Satellite radio and also online at http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/radio/

The radio broadcasts are pretty good, IMO and coupled with the live timing and scoring actually give you a better idea of what is happening than the pathetic video feed on the IRL website consisting entirely of on-board shots.

NickFalzone
23rd July 2007, 01:32
All the IRL races are on the IMS radio network on XM Satellite radio and also online at http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/radio/

The radio broadcasts are pretty good, IMO and coupled with the live timing and scoring actually give you a better idea of what is happening than the pathetic video feed on the IRL website consisting entirely of on-board shots.

Well no, the IRL on-board feed has the IMS radio broadcast along with it - so it's very solid alternative to the TV broadcast. I still prefer the TV broadcast with the better angles, etc. but they're really pissing me off with the constant commercial breaks. It's like they can't handle letting us just watch the racing.

Civic
23rd July 2007, 03:46

Hmmm...I have something to listen to at work!

MarcoCheever
23rd July 2007, 11:31
I think they do a great jon for the most-part. Also I'm glad the camera person or producer focused on Emma Davies

Chris R
23rd July 2007, 15:46
I thought the IRL presentation was pretty decent - much better thanthe Champcar presentation... Given that neither race was all that exciting - the IRL production crew made it a more enjoyable TV event.....

Of course both paled in comparison to the Formula 1 production earlier in the day!!

ChicagocrewIRL
23rd July 2007, 17:39
My biggest complaint is Marty Reid continually calling the championship battle in the IRL "the Chase" . LISTEN MARTY !!!! THIS IS NOT THE CHASE !!! IT IS THE
IRL CHAMPIONSHIP. you big dufus

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2007, 00:50
You guys are complaining about the commercials? Who the hell you think is keeping the IRL afloat? It doens't take a rocket scientest to figure out if your race series is on broadcast TV, you have commericals to deal with, and that is just life. Try watching a NASCAR race, and discover it is hard to see where commercials stop and the racing begins.....