PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss much?

52Paddy
21st July 2007, 11:04
When I realised before the start of the season that ITV1 would not cover all of the races in the BTCC season I was very dissapointed and it was made worse when the same was to happen for the WRC. I took a bit of a sabbatical from the sport which, well, didn't last too long and I'm trying to get back into it again. But that's beside the point. Is the BTCC any use this season and will races be appearing on ITV1 soon or Setanta? The lineup of drivers and cars looks absolutely class I have to admit and I seen a couple of pictures from Donington which were enough to inspire to write the thread!

Oh and, good to be back for the time being anyway! :p :

LiamM
21st July 2007, 11:46
The last 5 rounds are live on ITV1. Therefore, from Donington onwards, you can watch it again (ie you've missed one already)

Haddock
21st July 2007, 12:51
Its actually been pretty good this year. The SEATs and Vauxhalls are pretty evenly matched, and the semi-works Honda Civics aren't far behind.

The privately run BMW of Matt Jackson and Mike Jordan's Integra are pretty competitive too, and even Adam Jones' Toledo can mix it with the front runners from time to time.

Been the best year of BTCC racing since the super touring era, I'd say.

SEATFreak
21st July 2007, 13:30
Its actually been pretty good this year. The SEATs and Vauxhalls are pretty evenly matched, and the semi-works Honda Civics aren't far behind.

I would quite agree with most things but I think you could include the fact the downside(s) to the Leon has been shown up this season thanks to the Vectra. A brand harry spankers car doing as well if not better than a 1yr old Leon because it has the crucial advantage of being a saloon and not a hatchback which is notoriously slow because of the boxy aerodynamics.

"aren't far behind" is a good word for Team Dynamics also. One non-points scoring place all term (Neal's 13th at Croft) but seemingly just not able to win consistently enough for me. Three wins in 18 races.

The privately run BMW of Matt Jackson and Mike Jordan's Integra are pretty competitive too, and even Adam Jones' Toledo can mix it with the front runners from time to time.

Jackson and Jordan are the real stars for me to. But whilst I agree about Adam it ain't just him for me. Given the age of the ZS Jason Hughes hasn't done badly in terms of positions. Pinkney also.

AlexD
21st July 2007, 14:28
I guess Jones won't be racing next time due to GR beings in Sweden? It must be getting annoying for him, every time he races he does really well, probably far better than he expected, only for that to happen.

Alfa Fan
21st July 2007, 15:10
Jones is working on a solution to attend Snetterton I believe.

SEATFreak
21st July 2007, 19:58
It must be getting annoying for him, every time he races he does really well, probably far better than he expected, only for that to happen.

Thing is every time that red and silver Toledo has run a full race he has gotten in the points on ever ocassion.

The only other Independents to finish in the points in every race he has completed are Mat Jackson and Mike Jordan. Probably both ways you look at it aswell. From the view of the points in the overall Drivers Championship and the points in the Independent Drivers Championship. Which speaks volumes for how strong the Team Air Cool Toledo of his really is.

Imagine how many more points than what he has now given his form he could have in the bag if he hadn't missed those two meets.

Still, I am sure GR Asia's primary concern is after all the WTCC. O'Brien, Coronel and Cresoli for me have been underperforming. Coronel especially. He lies 2nd bottom with 4pts. GR I think want to get much more points than their driver have now.

VkmSpouge
21st July 2007, 20:18
Jones is working on a solution to attend Snetterton I believe.

He's going to buy a ticket and watch from the stands? :p :

BDunnell
22nd July 2007, 01:57
Been the best year of BTCC racing since the super touring era, I'd say.

I would agree. It's even been relatively clean by BTCC standards.

With the Vauxhalls, SEATs, Team Dynamics Hondas and the WSR and Jackson BMWs so evenly matched (if not at every circuit), Mike Jordan going superbly, Adam Jones showing real pace and even Chris Stockton's Lexus able to mix it, 2007 has been excellent.

SEATFreak
22nd July 2007, 09:38
I would agree. It's even been relatively clean by BTCC standards.

With the Vauxhalls, SEATs, Team Dynamics Hondas and the WSR and Jackson BMWs so evenly matched (if not at every circuit), Mike Jordan going superbly, Adam Jones showing real pace and even Chris Stockton's Lexus able to mix it, 2007 has been excellent.

It appears easier to mention those who have been doing well.

Can any of us name those who haven't been doing well? This is not a rhetorical question btw.

I will give Stockton the benefit of the doubt. He has only finished 8 of the 18 races this season but their is other factors. Actually racing form for one. And he must have competed well with other racers for you to have mentioned him. Indeed his finishing form is good.

Other than Pocklington I struggle very much.

Brooklands78
22nd July 2007, 11:44
Can any of us name those who haven't been doing well?

For me, Tom Chilton has been disappointing in the Vectra - still without a race win for VXR. Can't be easy constantly being compared with a class driver like Fabrizio but, having won races in the old Civic, I'm sure that Tom would have been hoping for better things at Vauxhall.

Jim Pocklington seems to have been struggling all season - not sure if the team just can't sort the BMW out or if BTCC was too big a jump for Jim to take. Let's see how he goes at Snetterton - maybe missing Donington will have helped the team to progress.

LiamM
22nd July 2007, 11:50
I think its the car that Pocklington has bought! The ex-Edenbridge BMW has has a torrid history with not much glory

SEATFreak
22nd July 2007, 12:22
What about Simon Blankley in his Sibsports Integra?

The results have been good - expected results I supose given the fact it is Howells Ex-TD Integra - but what of his actual racing? Has he done anything to convince you he has promise as a future Mat Jackson or Mike Jordan with a decent car?

Iain
22nd July 2007, 14:48
I don't think Simon Blanckley is aiming to be like Mike Jordan or Mat Jackson. He's more of an enthusiastic gentleman driver who is in it for the fun, not like Jackson and Jordan who have been professional racing drivers for a while now and are in it to be successful.

BDunnell
22nd July 2007, 15:03
Chilton has certainly not been notable; I should think that Motorbase will be rather disappointed with their pace relative to Jones' Toledo; and none of the Alfas have done anything special — far from it.

SEATFreak
22nd July 2007, 17:23
I know it is perhaps unfair to say that this BTCC season isn't perhaps after all as good as certain past seasons because certain factors could have be at work like reliability issues and logistical problems that ensured certain teams could not get out or compete well, but given the dissapointments that exist like the lack of form of Tom Chilton and the dissapointing seasons that Motorbase and A-Tech appear to be having, would you still say the BTCC is one of the best?

I personally still would. Because not only have the top teams/drivers have been exciting to watch and have been running really strongly but despite the dissapointments further down the field, most of the other Independents have also been as exciting to watch and as strong in running.

BDunnell
22nd July 2007, 17:53
I know it is perhaps unfair to say that this BTCC season isn't perhaps after all as good as certain past seasons because certain factors could have be at work like reliability issues and logistical problems that ensured certain teams could not get out or compete well, but given the dissapointments that exist like the lack of form of Tom Chilton and the dissapointing seasons that Motorbase and A-Tech appear to be having, would you still say the BTCC is one of the best?

I personally still would. Because not only have the top teams/drivers have been exciting to watch and have been running really strongly but despite the dissapointments further down the field, most of the other Independents have also been as exciting to watch and as strong in running.

Yes.

Brooklands78
22nd July 2007, 18:54

It's been a fascinating season so far and I'm sure there is more to come. A-Tech are struggling to get the Alfa's set up and to get them used to Dunlop tyres and Motorbase have had some dreadful luck so far this year - if they both sort out their problems, the second half of the season will be even better than the first - and Tom Chilton might still get that first VXR win!

52Paddy
22nd July 2007, 18:56
Well thanks everyone for the responses. It does sound like it's been a good year and the entry list has been very healthy. I would hope to see the rest of the season's races but, unfortunately (at least in terms of watching the races), I will be off on a 3 week course next weekend. Oh well, at least I can invest in the 2007 BTCC DVD (if they plan on making one that is).

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd July 2007, 19:30
I should think that Motorbase will be rather disappointed with their pace relative to Jones' Toledo

Maybe thats because GR Asia have far more experience with the Toledo and (with no disrespect to Howell, Allison or Ferrier) Jones is maybe a better driver?!?!

BDunnell
22nd July 2007, 20:04
Maybe thats because GR Asia have far more experience with the Toledo and (with no disrespect to Howell, Allison or Ferrier) Jones is maybe a better driver?!?!

I agree. I'm still rather surprised at the difference, though.

SEATFreak
23rd July 2007, 08:48

Well, I don't know if GR ever ran in the later ETCC years but as far as I know they only raced a year and a bit with the Toledo Cupra in the WTCC.
In 2005 they ran 7. For Tom Coronel, Carlos Aguillera, Valle Makela, Erkut Kizilirmak, Polo Villaamil, Lo Kai Fai and James Kaye. Though I am confused. Even though if you look in the link below you will find he is registered No.44 I am sure he wasn't in the WTCC and in actual fact of course was with Synchro in the BTCC.
But although most of the GR cars were Leons in 2006 they still retained one to be run for Maurizo Ceresoli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_World_Touring_Car_Championship_season#2005_Ca lendar

Iain
23rd July 2007, 14:58
They didn't run 7 cars at once. They had 2 cars, the first being Tom Coronel's and the second being used by various drivers. James Kaye was entered for Macau, but in the end couldn't do the race due to other commitments.

dwracing23
24th July 2007, 19:20
I should think that Motorbase will be rather disappointed with their pace relative to Jones' Toledo

I dont think they will they know GR are a much better team, Adam is 10 times the driver any of the Motorbase drivers are, they have a much newer model, better engine, better setup etc!

Yes Motorbase did very well at Silverstone last season but if Adam was in a GR Toledo would he have been higher on the grid? Back to the question how good is Adam - Well I would say he is at least one of the top 5 drivers in the Championship, how many drivers can get into a GT car and do the fastest lap in his first race!

I think all will come clear next season and maybe at Brands!? So what does everyone think?

peewhee
24th July 2007, 22:30
I dont think they will they know GR are a much better team, Adam is 10 times the driver any of the Motorbase drivers are, they have a much newer model, better engine, better setup etc!

I think all will come clear next season and maybe at Brands!? So what does everyone think?

I think that you don't need to slag of Motorbase!

Fact... GR Asia have more knowlege of the SEAT Toledo.
Fact... GR Asia have the last Toledo's built and have been proved to be faster than the earlier models.
Fact... Motorbase are working with the information supplied by SEAT.

You don't know what Motorbase are capable of.. until you do, don't knock them!

AND, as for next year, you don't know what the other teams are doing!
If you want to tell us what Adam Jones is doing.. then say!
Some people already know what he is hoping to do at Brands...

dwracing23
24th July 2007, 23:08
I think Motorbase are doing very well, infact they performed very well last season with Ferrier he's a top driver aswell, its just a shame he isnt in a newer model. It wasnt meant to be a slagging off, Motorbase are a much better team than GR when it comes to the Porsche Cup! I was pointing out that GR have much better equipment, and if you look at racing CV's Adam stands out his record speaks for itself.

With regards to the "Brands" comment I mean't the next round he would back for when he has taken a break, he has always performed well and performed very well in the first round at Brands! What did you mean?

tyreman2
25th July 2007, 08:18
I think Motorbase are doing very well, infact they performed very well last season with Ferrier he's a top driver aswell, its just a shame he isnt in a newer model. It wasnt meant to be a slagging off, Motorbase are a much better team than GR when it comes to the Porsche Cup! I was pointing out that GR have much better equipment, and if you look at racing CV's Adam stands out his record speaks for itself.

With regards to the "Brands" comment I mean't the next round he would back for when he has taken a break, he has always performed well and performed very well in the first round at Brands! What did you mean?

Before this turns into a slanging match i would like to put forward a few points regarding the Motorbase v GR posts
Adam is a very quick and consistent driver (listen to Mike jordans comments on btcc.net) The team from chief engineer down to tyreman have a great understanding of the car and have worked together for many years,The data gained between practise sessions is formidable and is put to excellent use The Motorbase cars are considerably older than the GR Toledo,although the engines are of the same spec.As well as the Gr input Team Air Cool Is made up of a small group of people who are 100% behind Adam which makes him very comfortable within the team.another point i would like to raise is that this is all done on a very small budget and just shows that you can compete in BTCC with limited resources The success isn't because Adam is a better driver nor that the team have more experience and a newer car.It's because they are making better use of the funds and resources available to them. And of course they don't keep crashing!

tyreman2
25th July 2007, 08:23
Before this turns into a slanging match i would like to put forward a few points regarding the Motorbase v GR posts
Adam is a very quick and consistent driver (listen to Mike jordans comments on btcc.net) The team from chief engineer down to tyreman have a great understanding of the car and have worked together for many years,The data gained between practise sessions is formidable and is put to excellent use The Motorbase cars are considerably older than the GR Toledo,although the engines are of the same spec.As well as the Gr input Team Air Cool Is made up of a small group of people who are 100% behind Adam which makes him very comfortable within the team.another point i would like to raise is that this is all done on a very small budget and just shows that you can compete in BTCC with limited resources The success isn't because Adam is a better driver nor that the team have more experience and a newer car.It's because they are making better use of the funds and resources available to them. And of course they don't keep crashing!

Sorry Mike Jordans comments are on crash.net as well.also if motorbase are working on the advise of SEAT who do you think Air Cool are taking advise from? --Honda !!

SEATFreak
25th July 2007, 09:36
....Motorbase are a much better team than GR when it comes to the Porsche Cup!

They would be. Motorbase have been in the Carrera's since 2004. GR to my knowledge have never ran a team in the Carreras.

But my personal opinion in this rather fiery debate is simply I aknowledge your ackowledgement Motorbase is doing well..after all although Team Air Cool/GR Asia in the 8 races they have run have beaten Motorbase every time, Motorbase haven't been far behind. In Round 1 Adam Jones finished 7th but Gareth Howell finished 9th. In Round 14 Adam was 8th but Mat Allison was 10th.

But I think although Team Air Cool/GR Asia has finished the stronger every time I think to myself "surely the team isn't soley dominated by GR". Team Air Cool also must have some input. If so, though the do have assistance from a top Independent WTC team, Team Air Cool are doing extremely well too with the budget they have and their performances perhaps shouldn't really be seen as being becasuse they are aided by a top WTCC team. It should be viewed as also a Team Air Cool effort.
Even though Team Air Cool work from the same premises and have the same staff as GR.

tyreman2
25th July 2007, 16:00
They would be. Motorbase have been in the Carrera's since 2004. GR to my knowledge have never ran a team in the Carreras.

But my personal opinion in this rather fiery debate is simply I aknowledge your ackowledgement Motorbase is doing well..after all although Team Air Cool/GR Asia in the 8 races they have run have beaten Motorbase every time, Motorbase haven't been far behind. In Round 1 Adam Jones finished 7th but Gareth Howell finished 9th. In Round 14 Adam was 8th but Mat Allison was 10th.

But I think although Team Air Cool/GR Asia has finished the stronger every time I think to myself "surely the team isn't soley dominated by GR". Team Air Cool also must have some input. If so, though the do have assistance from a top Independent WTC team, Team Air Cool are doing extremely well too with the budget they have and their performances perhaps shouldn't really be seen as being becasuse they are aided by a top WTCC team. It should be viewed as also a Team Air Cool effort.
Even though Team Air Cool work from the same premises and have the same staff as GR.
some of the same staff not all