PDA

View Full Version : Go Chaz!

jim mcglinchey
21st July 2007, 00:12
Chaz Davies has been given the Hoffer ride in Sundays race, he has been given virtually no time to prepare but it'll be interesting to see how he acquits himself compared to the other wild cards Roger Lee and Miguel DuHamel.

Allyc85
21st July 2007, 00:21
sweeeeeeeeeeet :D :D

tis gonna be tough for him, but what a chance!

tha_jackal
21st July 2007, 00:49
Good luck to the lad, he and Westy, once 250 privateers struggling along.. Amazing how breaks come about, unfortunately Hoffmeister has a break of a different kind :(

patnicholls
21st July 2007, 01:06
Have just been watching the session live on Eurosport, apparently Luis D'Antin came to Chaz shortly before the session and offered him the ride since the crew are around, just told him to have fun and not worry about results. It's his first time on the bike, first time at Laguna Seca, first ever MotoGP ride obviously, no set up time clearly...

Casey (who is a big friend of Chaz from their British 125/250 championship days) was interviewed and said he'd heard about a minute before he went out that Chaz was riding :)

Anyway, it was something of a learning curve - early on in the session he was about six seconds a lap off the pace, unsurprising in the circumstances. However, he chipped away each time, getting a feel for the bike and learning the track too (which is a daunting one), and was getting blue sectors each time basically, improving by fair chunks lap-by-lap. By the end he was 3.4s off Casey's time, and just 0.7s behind Miguel DuHamel who was second to last and of course knows the track intimately.

I would say, for a first MotoGP ride on a new track at zero minutes notice, that that's pretty good. His best time was right at the end of the session so there's plenty more to come off that time too, I reckon.

Well done, Chaz :)

Us Brits (and bike fans in general) needed a pick-up after Ollie Bridewell's death earlier today, and watching one of our young talents get to grips with a Ducati at a new track for his debut certainly helped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting miracles on Sunday (if he finishes, that's good work) but that cheered me slightly on a dark day.

ChrisS
21st July 2007, 11:57
Luis D'Antin just found a guy that could fit into the Hoff's leathers and gave him the ride :p : seriously though, best of luck to him just finishing the race will be something.

Hodgson is also at Laguna wildcarding in the AMA for Corona Extra Honda. Maybe he would have been a better choice, but D'Antin and Hodgson are not the best of friends.

Corny
21st July 2007, 13:06
is Hoffman not riding? if not, why?

ChrisS
21st July 2007, 13:32
He was hit by Guintoli at the Corkscrew and broke his left hand.

Speedworx
21st July 2007, 13:52
Great to see him get a chance to show what he can do.

jonny hurlock
21st July 2007, 14:30
great to see him have a change, have fun chas

also, get well soon hoff

NinjaMaster
21st July 2007, 15:35
Terrible luck for Hoffman and uncharacteristic of Guintoli to have such brain fade. Best of luck to Chaz. It's a terrific opportunity for him and I hope he can really enjoy it. His first session is most impressive considering his preparation.

AndyRAC
21st July 2007, 21:14
Luis D'Antin just found a guy that could fit into the Hoff's leathers and gave him the ride :p : seriously though, best of luck to him just finishing the race will be something.

Hodgson is also at Laguna wildcarding in the AMA for Corona Extra Honda. Maybe he would have been a better choice, but D'Antin and Hodgson are not the best of friends.

To be honest Hodgson shouldn't be anywere near a Moto GP ride, after turning down the Elias ride at Sachsenring. You don't turn opportunities like that down, unless you're British that is,'Superbikes rule'! What a prat.
Good luck to Chaz Davies, great opportunity for the guy.

maxu05
22nd July 2007, 04:57
To be honest Hodgson shouldn't be anywere near a Moto GP ride, after turning down the Elias ride at Sachsenring. You don't turn opportunities like that down, unless you're British that is,'Superbikes rule'! What a prat.
Good luck to Chaz Davies, great opportunity for the guy.

Here, here. I agree 100%. Oh, maybe 95%, as I think that Superbikes and Motogp bikes are even as far as I can see.

patnicholls
22nd July 2007, 21:37
Chaz qualified only 1.8s off pole, OK he was last but with zero preparation at all (literally had not sat on the bike before FP2), that is seriously impressive at a track he's not been to before.

As John mentioned in another thread, if he gets points he'll be a legend.

Allyc85
22nd July 2007, 23:06
13th in warm up :D

jonny hurlock
23rd July 2007, 00:36
finished 16th, three laps off, matching laps of the likes of checa, unknown track for him, unknown bike not bad at all well done chaz

tha_jackal
23rd July 2007, 00:37
Yep, he did no harm to his reputation at all.. He just needs to put his head down and work hard in AMA from now on, then hope and pray something comes along for 08...

maxu05
23rd July 2007, 00:38
Great effort after being thrown in at the deep end, well done.

patnicholls
23rd July 2007, 00:41
He pitted after one of the sprockets lost a bunch of teeth, otherwise would have nabbed a few points. He got a brilliant start and came round the first couple of laps ahead of about six guys. He also was 14th on the 'best lap' chart, and did it near the end of the race, so conserved his tyres well.

A big thumbs up for that showing.

The Phantom
23rd July 2007, 02:47
Definitely bodes well for his future career aspirations. Well done.

trackjunkie
23rd July 2007, 22:33
Chaz is really a talented rider... I have been following him at Celtic all year and it was a pleasure to see him on the big bikes!

http://superbikephoto.com/images/chaz_chases_nick.jpg

patnicholls
24th July 2007, 00:21
As mentioned elsewhere, it is tough to get a ride for 2008 based on one performance, but that did far exceed my expectations for riding with no preparation whatsoever.

Before Sunday, Chaz was basically off the radar as far as GPs went and in AMA to rebuild his career, but I bet there's a few MotoGP (or WSB) team managers having a think now, at least.

mx311
24th July 2007, 07:49
As mentioned elsewhere, it is tough to get a ride for 2008 based on one performance, but that did far exceed my expectations for riding with no preparation whatsoever.

Before Sunday, Chaz was basically off the radar as far as GPs went and in AMA to rebuild his career, but I bet there's a few MotoGP (or WSB) team managers having a think now, at least.
Yeah Chaz did really well but I can't see it helping him too much in getting a ride in MotoGP, unless someone (sponsor, manufacturer, Dorna) want to give him a helping hand. Chaz should hold his head up high, and Luis D'Antin should be given credit for giving him the chance in the first place.

I'm just glad Neil Hodgson didn't get the ride. :laugh:

tha_jackal
24th July 2007, 15:30
I rekon Chaz got the ride coz he was the best fit for The Hoffs leathers :laugh: But really, he did damn well and I think Dorna will be realistically considering him for their 'British' option come the 2008 season..

RaikkonenRules
24th July 2007, 21:05
If Hofmann isn't well for Brno do you think Davies will be riding there too?

Dr. Gellar
25th July 2007, 02:09
Chaz deserves plenty of credit for his performance. I mean...the guy had something like 20 minutes to prepare for his first ride on the bike! On a track he was paying his first visit too! Not bad...

neninja
25th July 2007, 13:50
Personally I think Chaz's performance was outstanding.

He was riding a MotoGP bike for the 1st time - he was unfamiliar with the track, bike, tyres, carbon brakes, traction control etc etc. To jump on the bike on the second day of a MotoGP meeting and then post lap times equal to top six runners during the latter part of the race is amazing.

He surprised me thats for sure and he has to be in with a shout of a ride at Brno. A top 10 finish would look a real possibility for him if he gets the opportunity.

NinjaMaster
25th July 2007, 16:24
Chaz was sensational and his effort deserves a follow-up chance at Brno. He had a practice session less than everyone else and got to change bugger all settings wise so give him a test in between and he'll give a real good account of himself.

jim mcglinchey
14th September 2007, 15:59
Its nice to have friends like Casey Stoner on your case. Motogp.com reports that Casy was instrumental in getting Chaz further tests on the 07 Ducati at Mugello this wek.

ChrisS
14th September 2007, 19:05
It was Stoner that suggested Chaz to D'Antin at Laguna

osg
14th September 2007, 22:13
Its nice to have friends like Casey Stoner on your case. Motogp.com reports that Casy was instrumental in getting Chaz further tests on the 07 Ducati at Mugello this wek.

Apparently Ducati are keen to have him replace Itoh as test rider.............. will be interesting to see how this pans out for Chaz.

jim mcglinchey
12th October 2007, 09:43
Young Chasbert hasnt disgraced himself, beating Alex in the second practice session. Go Chaz!

tha_jackal
12th October 2007, 09:48
Yep, he's done good.. Only did about five laps too and he's ahead of Vermeulen, which is perplexing more than anything else..

jim mcglinchey
12th October 2007, 10:27
Yeah, I noticed that he was beating Chris too, but I didnt like to say. Chris needs to get the finger out.