PDA

View Full Version : Film Cells

Hazell B
19th December 2006, 21:01
A couple of years ago movie cells (bits of cut down 35mm film) were offered for sale here in the UK from The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Harry Potter films, all framed up with film photos, for about £70 - £100 each.

Now, hundreds of people bought them thinking they were sections of the actual film's original footage, from the sets. Of course, thanks to clever and mildly misleading wording in the adverts, they were nothing of the sort. They were just bits of old cinema reels that would have been binned when the local Vue had finished showing them.

Yesterday I bought sections from four movies, again mounted with photos, for £13. They included The Bourne Identity, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (new version) and The Matrix.

All film will soon be digital, so they're my tip for the future if you want to start a cheap collection ;)
At just over three quid each, you can't lose much!

But I do feel sorry for the proud Lord of the Rings owners - not :p :

Dave B
19th December 2006, 22:09
The original films are almost never sold, in case they're needed to make more copies. But as you say, the pressings sold in cinemas are ten a penny.

As for films going digital, it'll be a fair time before big screen motion pictures go that way, the resolution simply is nowhere near good enough when blown up onto a 30' screen. Eventually, yes. But not for a good few years in most cases.

Storm
20th December 2006, 09:13
Just a question popped into my mind.... Why buy the stuff at all?
Especially when it costs £100 :s

Mark
20th December 2006, 09:16
For £70-£100 I'd expect the entire reel, not one cell :s

As for digital, it might be sooner than you think, film quality isn't that great really :p

555-04Q2
20th December 2006, 09:21
Just a quickie here :p :

Why do people still go the the cinemas :?: Uncomfortabe chairs, idiots with cellphones, expensive tickets, expensive cokes and popcorn, someone kicking your chair from behind.

Close the curtains, pop the corn in the wave machine, turn down the lights and enjoy a good DVD rather.

Mark
20th December 2006, 09:24
There are very few films that I'd pay cinema prices to go and see. James Bond was the last one, until I realised I'd made a mistake.

I have a simple rating system for films, which goes something like.
Cinema, PayPerView, DVD, Sky Movies, TV.

There are very few that make it into the top three categories! But that's not the point really, you sit in and watch the TV every night, going to the cinema is something different.

janneppi
20th December 2006, 09:50
As for films going digital, it'll be a fair time before big screen motion pictures go that way, the resolution simply is nowhere near good enough when blown up onto a 30' screen. Eventually, yes. But not for a good few years in most cases.
I thought some low budges movies like the new Star wars were digital?
There are some big theatres here that have gone digital too.

Mark
20th December 2006, 10:02
I was just reading Wikipedia about that and yes, many cinemas are already using digital projectors. Several hundred in the UK (not sure which ones)

It has many advantages over film, namely in the distribution and handling. The film can be transmitted to the cinema over the internet, no need for distribution at all.

Daniel
20th December 2006, 10:17
I never thought film had a great resolution at all :crazy: Whenever I go to the cinema I'm always surprised at how "soft" the picture is.

LotusElise
20th December 2006, 11:13
I have a film cell from the 1920s which I bought for a few pounds a couple of years ago. I can't remember what the film title is though.

jim mcglinchey
20th December 2006, 13:25
I never thought film had a great resolution at all :crazy: Whenever I go to the cinema I'm always surprised at how "soft" the picture is.

I find that too, but I thought it was a sign that I need glasses.

jim mcglinchey
20th December 2006, 13:28
Alot of people are saying that the cinema is nt worth the hassle, but Ive noticed with every film that Ive ever seen at the pictures and again on DVD , TV whatever, that the film was always a much more enjoyable and exciting film when seen at the cinema. Its to do with the screen size, sound, occasion etc, but any actioner must be seen at the cinema for appreciation.

Hazell B
21st December 2006, 19:55
For £70-£100 I'd expect the entire reel, not one cell :s

As for digital, it might be sooner than you think, film quality isn't that great really :p

Me too! They usually get three cells at a time, perhaps two sets per framed 'picture' - which still isn't a hundred quid's worth if you've got half a brain in your head :p : The ones I got have four sections of film, but as the film isn't valuable it doesn't matter really. They just look nice in the mounts with a movie photo.

Far as I know, most large films are totally digital now, with film copies being sent to cinemas who can't show digital. Spielberg refuses to use digital technology (which surprises me) but most other big names use it now. That's just what I read a while ago in passing, it might not be right.

555-04Q2
22nd December 2006, 08:42
There are very few films that I'd pay cinema prices to go and see. James Bond was the last one, until I realised I'd made a mistake.

I have a simple rating system for films, which goes something like.
Cinema, PayPerView, DVD, Sky Movies, TV.

There are very few that make it into the top three categories! But that's not the point really, you sit in and watch the TV every night, going to the cinema is something different.

I agree that we watch TV every night and the Cinema is something different. But I cannot tolerate the aggrevation that you get at Cinemas these days. ERxpensive tickets, expensive food and drinks, people talking on their cellphones, cellphones ringing, people text messaging on their cellphones, idiots with lazer lights, the person next to you hogging the armrest, the person behind you kicking the chair. I could go on and on.

The only movies of the past five years I bothered to watch at the cinema were the Star Wars and Lord of The Rings Trilogies as they are a must see on the big screen.

I prefer staying at home and watching in the comfort of my home with cheap food and beer, no distractions and a comfy couch to plonk me ar$e on :p :

Hazell B
22nd December 2006, 20:06
I prefer staying at home and watching in the comfort of my home with cheap food and beer, no distractions and a comfy couch to plonk me ar$e on :p :

Must admit, even with a wad of free Vue tickets on the mantlepiece, we still stayed home to watch far more films than we went out for this past six months. In fact, the last few tickets will be out of date before they get used I expect.