PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP Question

V12
18th July 2007, 21:28
I'm a four-wheeled man through and through, but I caught the MotoGP race at the Sachsenring at the weekend just gone and was impressed with what I saw, a real breath of fresh air.

It seems to tick all the boxes that F1 maybe used to, but doesn't any more - overtaking is possible, without being easy and largely irrelevant in the NASCAR sense of the word, there are multiple tyre manufacturers and competitive bike manufacturers, the second-tier series is multi-make and not named after a computer game, the riders appear to have more character and be more laid back than their largely robot-like, corporate-driven F1 counterparts such as Hamilton.

But of course F1 and car racing in general used to be like this, my question to those who have been following two wheels longer is, is it headed down the same slippery slope that F1 has been on for some time now (only not as far down), or does the inherent nature of two wheeled competition allow the rulemakers to give greater chassis/engine/tyre freedom at all levels without affecting costs and safety as much? (I imagine passing is always going to be easier when dealing with bikes rather than cars due to the sheer difference in width)

I'll definitely be watching the next race either way! :)

mx311
19th July 2007, 06:50
In many ways MotoGP is what F1 used to be, but it has always walked a fine line between success and disaster. The late eighties and early nineties were great for the old 500cc category but the mid to late nineties saw a drop off in interest. The interest was revived when Mick Doohan disappeared and Valentino Rossi appeared, then new MotoGP four-strokes really gave the whole series a shove in the right direction. But interest looked like it may be on the slide again but last year saw someone challenge and beat Rossi which helped push it to new heights. But each of those could have gone the other way, luckily for us it didn't.

Rule changes in MotoGP seem to be made for the right reasons (something that doesn't always happen in F1). The change in 4-strokes was welcomed by many (not all) and has been a success, the change to 800cc was not so welcome but also seems to have been a success (competition wise, it didn't solve the issues the FIM wanted to solve though).

Ultimately motorcycle racing has one huge advantage over F1 (and car racing in general). The bikes are a much smaller percentage of the overall package. In F1 the split is around 80% car, 20% driver, in MotoGP it's more like 40% bike, 60% rider. However as the technology gets more advanced that is sliding in the wrong direction. Only 5 years ago the equation would have been more 20% bike, 80% rider.

Plus of course, a bike is much smaller than a car, making it easier to throw up the inside of a competitor. ;)

Overall I think MotoGP is on a similar path to F1, but at a much slower rate. Technology may push MotoGP into a similar situation as F1 eventually, so it's probably best to enjoy the show now. :)

ChrisS
19th July 2007, 10:47
Rule changes in MotoGP seem to be made for the right reasons

Not always, the rule not to stop a race because of rain was made to help TV since stopping the race and restarting it later messed up TV schedules. In a way its similar to F1 hardly ever red flaging a race but using the SC instead.

in terms of racing, I don't think motoGP will become like F1, unlike F1 cars that need to be regulated quite closely, in MotoGP setting an engine capacity, minimum weight and tyre contact patch can ensure that the bikes will be pretty much equal.

in terms of show, I think it will become like F1, as the show becomes more mainstream and appeals to more people the riders will also become more PC like in F1, trying to please sponsors etc... We already have the first evidence of that in Dani "ASIMO" Pedrosa

NinjaMaster
19th July 2007, 15:36
in terms of show, I think it will become like F1, as the show becomes more mainstream and appeals to more people the riders will also become more PC like in F1, trying to please sponsors etc... We already have the first evidence of that in Dani "ASIMO" Pedrosa

Not everyone is a flambuoyant showman who entertains crowds. I don't think Dani is a robotic product of a system, just a quiet and focused personality. There is plenty of others more than willing to show off to the crowds and speak their mind. That is the beauty of motorcycle racing in general.