PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous

Daniel
18th July 2007, 18:39
Why is it that there are people out there who think "ridiculous" is spelt with an e instead of an i? :mark:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rediculous doesn't exist

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=ridiculous does exist

:mark:

BeansBeansBeans
18th July 2007, 18:45
I've noticed that.

I find that the most mis-spelt word in internet-land is DEFINITELY.

Most people say DEFINATELY.

Drew
18th July 2007, 18:47
Does It Really Matter On The Internet??????

Daniel
18th July 2007, 18:50
Duz it reely matta on the intrnt?

**** yes it matters!

BeansBeansBeans
18th July 2007, 18:52
Does It Really Matter On The Internet??????

It is rather petty, but then I am rather petty.

schmenke
18th July 2007, 18:52
...Most people say DEFINATELY.

:erm:

Daniel
18th July 2007, 19:14
I find that the most mis-spelt word in internet-land is DEFINITELY.

Most people say DEFINATELY.

Oops

Erki
18th July 2007, 20:09
I for one am definitely not guilty of that definitely-gate, it's getting really ridiculous really. :) And Firefox's spelling checker is a nice tool too. :p

BDunnell
18th July 2007, 20:13
It annoys me, as well — as does the contraction of 'as well' into 'aswell', 'in fact' into 'infact', and so on. Call me old-fashioned, a linguistic snob or whatever, but when has anyone ever been advised that all of these are correct, or get the idea that they are?

We can add the old favourite 'surprise' (thankfully, the spelling without the first 'r' is now asterisked out on here) to the list as well...

Erki
18th July 2007, 20:15
We can add the old favourite 'surprise' (thankfully, the spelling without the first 'r' is now asterisked out on here) to the list as well...

Suprise suprise... :)

schmenke
18th July 2007, 20:19
"Sponsor" spelled with an e :dozey:

BeansBeansBeans
18th July 2007, 20:24
And another thing...

I've noticed a couple of people on here shorten the word 'manufacturers' to 'mfgrs'. I've no problem with the shortening of the word per se, but where on earth have they got the 'g' from?

janneppi
18th July 2007, 20:27
And another thing...

I've noticed a couple of people on here shorten the word 'manufacturers' to 'mfgrs'. I've no problem with the shortening of the word per se, but where on earth have they got the 'g' from?
How's your favourite team doing in manufagturer points?
;)

Brown, Jon Brow
18th July 2007, 20:53
Who are you lot! The spelling police?? ............... :dozey:

I find it annoying when people say 'Jonnyfan' instead of 'Jonathan' or 'Stirloin Steak' instead of 'Sirloin Steak'............

BeansBeansBeans
18th July 2007, 21:01
How's your favourite team doing in manufagturer points?
;)

Very insensitive. Don't you know I'm a Spyker fan?!

luvracin
18th July 2007, 21:20
Duz it reely matta on the intrnt?

**** yes it matters!

It really annoys me when people spell **** with * instead of *.

EVERYONE KNOWS it should be spelt ****!

Drew
18th July 2007, 22:46
I Hate It When People Use Capitals For Every Word. It Looks Stupid And Takes More Effort, Why Do It?!

Racehound
18th July 2007, 23:10
And another thing...

i thought it was "mfrs" :)

Racehound
18th July 2007, 23:12
Who are you lot! The spelling police?? ............... :dozey:

I find it annoying when people say 'Jonnyfan' instead of 'Jonathan' or 'Stirloin Steak' instead of 'Sirloin Steak'............
or basketti instead of spaghetti!!!!! :s mokin:

BDunnell
18th July 2007, 23:14
Suprise suprise... :)

Oh dear. :laugh:

Storm
19th July 2007, 00:17
I blame Mark :p :

Dave B
19th July 2007, 17:56
I get fed up whenever a post(er) questioning spelling or grammar is labelled "snobbish".

I can not see any problem with wishing to uphold standards, whether on t'internet on in print.

BDunnell
19th July 2007, 18:07
Don't you mean 'standerds'?

Iain
19th July 2007, 18:30
I'm still irritated by the use of "could of" instead of "could have".

I agree with you Dave. I remember somebody said they could take legal action against us a few years back, all because we added 'suprise' and 'sponser' to the swear filter, saying that it was a form of bullying and discrimination against people with learning difficulties. :rolleyes:

Half the time people are just really lazy and type too fast without checking what they have done.

BDunnell
19th July 2007, 18:40
I'm still irritated by the use of "could of" instead of "could have".

I agree with you Dave. I remember somebody said they could take legal action against us a few years back, all because we added 'suprise' and 'sponser' to the swear filter, saying that it was a form of bullying and discrimination against people with learning difficulties. :rolleyes:

Half the time people are just really lazy and type too fast without checking what they have done.

Absolutely. :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
19th July 2007, 18:56
Wait a minute, my English has been disadvantaged because when I was being educated the Government introduced the 'literacy hour'. I reckon it should be called the 'Illiteracy hour' :rolleyes:

Loobylou
20th July 2007, 13:00
An odd typo is one thing (everyone makes them at some point), but constantly making the same one?? The person pointing out the error could easily be considered to be doing the writer a favour.

Flat.tyres
20th July 2007, 13:38
An odd typo is one thing (everyone makes them at some point), but constantly making the same one?? The person pointing out the error could easily be considered to be doing the writer a favour.

I dont mind people pointing mistakes out to me. Marks always doing it :p : but Im not particulaly computer literate and when I tried to put posts through Word, it kept scrambling the posts up with loads of font messages. It took me more time to clean them up after than it did to write the post in the first place. :(

LotusElise
20th July 2007, 13:43
"Teh" for the is a common one that annoys me a bit. Everyone commits the odd typo, but some people must never check what they've written.