PDA

View Full Version : New Manufacturers in MotoGP??

Dr. Gellar
18th July 2007, 06:23
My apologies if I get anyone too excited here. I was wondering if there has been any word regarding the possibility of any new manufacturers participating in MotoGP in the next year or two?? I remember reading recently (part of the Shiver release presentation) that Aprilia may consider re-entering the fold in the next few years. I would love to see that! I also remember talk of Benelli (Qiangjang) and Zongshen having ambitions of getting involved by 2008 or so some time ago. Hollow threats??

leopard
18th July 2007, 07:03
Ilmor :D

ChrisS
18th July 2007, 10:59
I believe Aprilia is planning a 2009 World SBK entry with a 999cc V4 so a possible MotoGP return will only happen after that is sorted. I think the chinese talked about entering MotoGP but quietly backed down as soon as they realized whats really involved in developing and running a GP prototype.

NinjaMaster
18th July 2007, 13:34
Apart from Aprilia maybe joining in the sometime in the next 5 years, I really don't see any other players trying to join the MotoGP circus unless there are any playboy millionaires willing to waste their money on an Ilmor style venture. Be nice to see the likes of BMW enter but I really don't see it given the type of customer base they cater to.

Dr. Gellar
19th July 2007, 03:26
Thanks guys for your imputs! That's kinda what I was afraid of.

I guess I can be patient for Aprilia to come up with something down the road (soon please), and hope that Ilmor will someday have their engine developed to a point where customers may be interested, or perhaps to where they can race with their own team again. It's a bummer things didn't work out for them (yet?).

I was one of those fans who were totally excited last year when BMW was being rumored as to taking a shot at MotoGP, and disappointed when they decided to put any plans they had on hold. While MotoGP may not cater to their traditional fan base, I think it's possible a racing effort by BMW in MotoGP and even World Superbike would open the floodgates to a new sport-oriented customer base. I would have enjoyed watching them try!

Ultimately, I'd like to see MotoGP with a 25-30 rider grid, and I think one of the ways that may happen would be by having a few more manufacturers involved. It would certainly spice up the variety of teams and machines a little if nothing else.

mx311
19th July 2007, 06:54
No I don't think there are any real plans for new manufacturers to enter MotoGP in the near future. In fact I think we'll lose one or two before we get any new ones.

The only likely candidates are BMW, Aprilia and KTM. BMW have never been serious about MotoGP and I can't see that changing, especially now they have their own F1 team. Aprilia have been burnt badly by the premier class on a couple of occasions and I don't think they are serious about MotoGP at the moment and like KTM they are interested in WSBK which will keep them busy. Oh and once that is up and running they will both have to begin building replacements for their 125 and 250's. Those projects will keep both of them busy until around 2015.

ChrisS
19th July 2007, 11:05
No I don't think there are any real plans for new manufacturers to enter MotoGP in the near future. In fact I think we'll lose one or two before we get any new ones.

What teams are likely to get out of MotoGP? Kawasaki and Suzuki if they don't start winning? Ducati?

I'm under the impression that the Japanese would rather just be at the back and be involved in the high tech world of MotoGP rather than admitting they cant built a high tech bike and drop out.

With the tobacco sponsorship supposedly coming to an end I though Ducati would be in trouble if they lost Marlboro since a big part of their budget comes from them but I don't think that will happen soon and even if it does with their current form I think they will be able to find a replacement.

NinjaMaster
19th July 2007, 15:24
Kawasaki have dropped out before and if their big name rider signing still sees them languishing mid-pack, they may well swallow their pride and concentrate on WSB.

leopard
20th July 2007, 06:06
The only likely candidates are BMW, Aprilia and KTM. BMW have never been serious about MotoGP and I can't see that changing, especially now they have their own F1 team. Aprilia have been burnt badly by the premier class on a couple of occasions and I don't think they are serious about MotoGP at the moment and like KTM they are interested in WSBK which will keep them busy. Oh and once that is up and running they will both have to begin building replacements for their 125 and 250's. Those projects will keep both of them busy until around 2015.

alright, I think BMW have neither seriousness about Motogp nor commercially producing bike in general. They produced a very segmented bike, their name is identically a brand of car. Entering motogp (again) may take a risk ruining reputability of Aprilia which have blossomed their domination on smaller classes.
However seeing them to join motogp in the future would be fine though.
KTM is among those who have biggest chance trying motogp, considering their performance of smaller classes constantly challenge at the front. Just a trying, likewise Aprilia when the result wasn't like what have they expected, they will retire thereafter.
At worst, I don't hope the failure Ilmor project happens again :(

maxu05
22nd July 2007, 09:34
I think all the above mentioned manufacturers would only embarrass themselves by entering Motogp. If any of them did, they would be Tailend Charlies for 2 or 3 years, using riders that are ready to retire, or up and comers that just won the 'B Grade Yallamini cup for midgets with dislexia', and then claim that they are better off spending their money on R&D for their new, next generation 3 mode grip warmers with built in controls that change the colour of the speedometer/tachometer dials with the aid of their new onboard computer at the press of a button. I think we will see the likes of Hyosung entering Motogp before we would see BMW,Aprilia,MV or KTM IMO.

ChrisS
22nd July 2007, 18:43
From what I know from their road bikes, Hyosung basically builds Suzuki engines under license and puts them it their own chassis, their bikes are cheap starter bikes but are lower quality and harder to maintain (parts more difficult to find, worst support) than their Suzuki counterparts.

I cant see Hyosung going racing

maxu05
23rd July 2007, 00:36
From what I know from their road bikes, Hyosung basically builds Suzuki engines under license and puts them it their own chassis, their bikes are cheap starter bikes but are lower quality and harder to maintain (parts more difficult to find, worst support) than their Suzuki counterparts.

I cant see Hyosung going racing

OK, let me put it another way. We are more likely to see an Indian Scout or a Triumph Bonneville enter Motogp than BMW etc,etc.

tha_jackal
23rd July 2007, 00:38
hahah, well put john..

leopard
23rd July 2007, 05:03
Besides the regular manufacturers, everyone is only focusing on China and Korea.
India has their own bike, Bajaj, that is now penetrating their market to be more worldwide, might be also a potency as the next manufacturer entering motogp. :rolleyes:

mx311
24th July 2007, 07:51
What teams are likely to get out of MotoGP? Kawasaki and Suzuki if they don't start winning? Ducati?

I'm under the impression that the Japanese would rather just be at the back and be involved in the high tech world of MotoGP rather than admitting they cant built a high tech bike and drop out.
Yeah, that's my point. It's unlikely anyone will drop out of MotoGP in the near future, No-one is going to enter MotoGP in the near future.

Although saying that, one maufacturer has gone (Ilmor) and one more is on the way out (KR), that could be seen as two. ;)

Dr. Gellar
24th July 2007, 08:16
Yeah, that's my point. It's unlikely anyone will drop out of MotoGP in the near future, No-one is going to enter MotoGP in the near future.

Although saying that, one maufacturer has gone (Ilmor) and one more is on the way out (KR), that could be seen as two. ;)

If that ends up being true (no one new entering MotoGP), I think that will be unfortunate. Although, having a couple new teams enter the fray with existing manufacturers would help to make up for that. Providing, of course, that most of the current teams stick around.

I hope the KR team can find a way to stay. I know the team gets a lot of flack for their results, or lack thereof, but they more than any other team have been thrown in the deep end this year. MotoGP could use a few more teams like theirs, a team that can build a GP-racer around another manufacturer's engine. Unfortunately for all the efforts, including KR and Moriwaki, that have occurred so far....money talks.

Dr. Gellar
25th July 2007, 02:36
Going back to BMW, I think if they were willing to spend the money necessary for a legitimate MotoGP effort, they would surprise quite a few people. BMW appears to be slowly changing their motorcycle image, heading towards one that is more sporty and mainstream, and a BMW MotoGP team would certainly accelerate that.

In the end, I guess BMW decided the money would be better spent elsewhere. Such as the World Endurance championship for example, where they are developing their HP2 SportBoxer. Or of course, the award program they have for the better qualifier over the MotoGP season.

I hope someday soon BMW, and perhaps some other companies, may change their mind and give MotoGP a shot.

leopard
27th July 2007, 05:38
BMW will be bulker than Ducati if it happens :D

Dr. Gellar
9th August 2007, 06:49
I checked out the News section of the website Raptors & Rockets yesterday. There was a brief article by Tor Sagen regarding a conversation he had with Benelli's Gianluca Galasso about plans for 2008. Among other things, Benelli has plans for a "6-cylinder engine that is not planned for road-use!" Sagen believes it could be a MotoGP engine! That would be SWEET!! :D

I know it's all speculative at this point, but let's just say it ends up being true. With the current MotoGP weight limits, what would be the advantage of running a 6-cylinder engine??

ChrisS
9th August 2007, 10:56
a 800cc 6 cylinder engine? I'll believe it when I see it.

Sounds almost impossible to me, it will have to rev up to crazy RPM, 22000 maybe more? Yamaha said that they are on the limit of springs valves at 18000rpm and are making a pneumatic valves I4 engine, Ducati's Desmodromic valve V4 engine revs close to 20000rpm. Imagine how much more exotic a 6 cylinder engine will have to be to run higher RPMs than that.

also the rules say that a 6 cylinder must weight 163kg 15 more than a 4 cylinder and like all MotoGP bikes it can only use 21 litres of fuel. Anyway, Benelli and its engineers know these things much much better than I do and I'm sure they did their homework.

BTW the Benelli Sei bikes were inline 6 but that would be way to wide for a racing bike so I'm thinking V6.

NinjaMaster
9th August 2007, 14:17
I checked out the News section of the website Raptors & Rockets yesterday. There was a brief article by Tor Sagen regarding a conversation he had with Benelli's Gianluca Galasso about plans for 2008. Among other things, Benelli has plans for a "6-cylinder engine that is not planned for road-use!" Sagen believes it could be a MotoGP engine! That would be SWEET!! :D

I know it's all speculative at this point, but let's just say it ends up being true. With the current MotoGP weight limits, what would be the advantage of running a 6-cylinder engine??
I always thought they were supposed to be building a V6 superbike? I guess it's all just crazy rumour for now.

maxu05
9th August 2007, 17:04
I am planning to field a 2 bike team for the 2008 Motogp season. The teams official name will be DIM SUM RACING. We are currently testing a new frame, (based on the trusty old Honda CG125), and our R&D Department is well under way with testing the unbreakable 1000cc single, (sleeved down to 800cc of course, it took a full carton of beer cans to accomplish this engineering feat). We have searched high and wide for the latest in material technology, (Ma Jong, our guru aquisitions manager, found an innerspring mattress dumped on the corner that had the right steel to toddler pee ratio that garuantee's both strength and flexibility for a full race distance. Testing of the bike will be carried out by Wun Bung Lung, (he is a legend in the area for his ability to bring home his rubbish refuse tricycle despite a bent frame and wheel damage due to an encounter/collision with Ma Ling the Gas man on his delivery bicycle). All in all, we are confident that our team and sponsors (Lucky Bite Sea Weed and Immitation Hubcap Company), can produce the results in 2008.

maxu05
9th August 2007, 18:20
I must add, (this will be 4,000 posts) that we will be using Sti Lie Fuk tyres, (formerly Mie Dik Fat Condom Company) to supply what we think will be a breakthrough in tyre technology throughout the season. We hope to raise the profile of our team as the year progresses, though it will depend on testing results.

ChrisS
9th August 2007, 18:47
by you own admission your bike is based on a production bike so if you enter it in MotoGP I will have to enter a protest at the FIM ;)

maxu05
9th August 2007, 18:56
by you own admission your bike is based on a production bike so if you enter it in MotoGP I will have to enter a protest at the FIM ;)

AHH Haa, Our design concept is only based on the CG125, but using a top secret formulation of 2nd hand Tour de France nylon bicycle pants and cats urine, we are able to construct a frame that is 20% lighter than a dogs fart, and stronger than the smell of baby vomit on the back seat of a 1978 Cortina on a hot summers day. So there :laugh:

tha_jackal
10th August 2007, 04:45
Watcha been smokin John? :laugh:

Dr. Gellar
10th August 2007, 05:37
a 800cc 6 cylinder engine? I'll believe it when I see it.

Sounds almost impossible to me, it will have to rev up to crazy RPM, 22000 maybe more? Yamaha said that they are on the limit of springs valves at 18000rpm and are making a pneumatic valves I4 engine, Ducati's Desmodromic valve V4 engine revs close to 20000rpm. Imagine how much more exotic a 6 cylinder engine will have to be to run higher RPMs than that.

also the rules say that a 6 cylinder must weight 163kg 15 more than a 4 cylinder and like all MotoGP bikes it can only use 21 litres of fuel. Anyway, Benelli and its engineers know these things much much better than I do and I'm sure they did their homework.

BTW the Benelli Sei bikes were inline 6 but that would be way to wide for a racing bike so I'm thinking V6.

Thanks for your comments. As exciting as the possibility may be, I will still be surprised if their proposed 6-cylinder (yes, most likely a V-6) indeed ends up a MotoGP engine. Based on what I do know, I always figured the current 800cc rules kinda frowned on multi-cylinder engines greater than 4's. Regardless, definitely something to look forward to (for me anyway) in the many months ahead.

Dr. Gellar
10th August 2007, 05:43
I always thought they were supposed to be building a V6 superbike? I guess it's all just crazy rumour for now.

I'd heard that earlier rumor as well. But that always made even less sense to me, since WSBK, assuming that was the intention, has no rules for 6's (that I know of). Time will tell I guess.

maxu05
10th August 2007, 16:40
Watcha been smokin John? :laugh:

I just don't get out much these days :laugh:

ChrisS
11th August 2007, 14:10
I came across this today, its from the Australian Motorcycle News magazine

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/579/bmwsbk2to2.th.jpg (http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/579/bmwsbk2to2.jpg)

MCN had an ardicle a few weeks ago saying BMW would enter SBK in 2009, rumours about the BMW 190/190 have been around for a while now.

another sketch of the bike
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3283/bmwk1000rsskraftve7.th.jpg (http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3283/bmwk1000rsskraftve7.jpg)

jonny hurlock
19th August 2007, 21:38
just a thought, you know red bull went into the nascar market. could red bull come into motogp or wsbk buy a few bikes out of honda, yamaha be a sat team? could red bull bring in ktm as manufactor? bring in some of their red bull drivers ie dovi, Kallio so forth?

just a thought?

ChrisS
19th August 2007, 23:59
Red Bull sponsored WCM for Many years but they stopped their sponsorship in 2003.

I dont see KTM entering MotoGP any time soon, they tried to a few years ago but the project was cancelled, what was left of that project was the KTM engine Team KR got. If the RC8 ever comes out and they race it in Superbike then Red Bull could be their sponsor. But don't expect KTM in Superbikes any time sooner than 2010.

Cozzie
20th August 2007, 08:47
Triumph...

leopard
21st August 2007, 11:56
Triumph...
yeah, I am very keen to know this bike further what's inside

The Phantom
21st August 2007, 17:08
Triumph are unlikely to enter MotoGP - they haven't even officially gone production racing yet. It's a business first and foremost, and they have no real interest in the Triumph heritage apart from using it to sell a few retro bikes.

But then again they are starting to make a habit of surprising us...

I somehow missed the Maxu press release - man that sounds like a hot bike, you should sign Batboy to ride it : )