PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Willis gets new wings

Dave B
17th July 2007, 17:53
The former Honda man is joining Red Bull after the European GP, reporting to Adrian Newey.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40059

:up:

Robinho
17th July 2007, 21:07
the dream team is back!

i can only think that this is a good thing for Red Bull. Sure Willis had his detractors at BAR/Honda, but he didi deliver their 2 most competitive cars, including their only race win (of the modern era), and as understudy to Newey, i can't see them getting it very wrong. the question will be how right can they get it, because i think if they do it right then there is no reason not to expect Red Bull to be challenging for podiums at the very least next year.

call_me_andrew
17th July 2007, 23:32
NOW it's rats leaving a sinking ship.

Valve Bounce
17th July 2007, 23:39
the dream team is back!

i can only think that this is a good thing for Red Bull. Sure Willis had his detractors at BAR/Honda, but he didi deliver their 2 most competitive cars, including their only race win (of the modern era), and as understudy to Newey, i can't see them getting it very wrong. the question will be how right can they get it, because i think if they do it right then there is no reason not to expect Red Bull to be challenging for podiums at the very least next year.

It's been a long, long time since a car with a customer engine won an F1 race.

Hawkmoon
18th July 2007, 00:05
It's been a long, long time since a car with a customer engine won an F1 race.

That'd be Jordan's win in the 2003 Brazillian GP wouldn't it?

I think it's a good addition for Red Bull. Willis has worked on a number of race winning cars in the past and has worked with Newey before.

Valve Bounce
18th July 2007, 00:16
That'd be Jordan's win in the 2003 Brazillian GP wouldn't it?

I think it's a good addition for Red Bull. Willis has worked on a number of race winning cars in the past and has worked with Newey before.

Yes! it was, in those horrible conditions where there was some sort of rivulet running across the track. If I remember correctly the race had to be stopped and nobody knew who won at first.

Unless we get those conditions again, I doubt if anyone with a customer engine will win.

But!! who knows, Red Bulll might make one helluva chassis with their new signing of Geof Willis working with Adrian Newey.

Gannex
18th July 2007, 02:55
Geoff Willis is a puzzle. Some at Williams say he was a genius, others a disaster. When he moved to Honda, he started to look pretty good for a while, and there must have been a lot of embarrassed faces at Grove for having fired him. But later his reputation collapsed.

If reputation is what you're going on, you have to say Willis is dubious; but for my money, if Adrian Newey and David Coulthard want him, that's good enough for me. He has the reputation with the people who matter, and, let's face it, they are also the people who should know.

wedge
18th July 2007, 13:36
Perhaps he was never cut out to be a Technical Director, or perhaps his sick of Honda bureaucracy.

I'm a bit surprised that he's quite happy to work under Newey and not Honda's current TD.

Flat.tyres
18th July 2007, 14:43
Perhaps he was never cut out to be a Technical Director, or perhaps his sick of Honda bureaucracy.

I'm a bit surprised that he's quite happy to work under Newey and not Honda's current TD.

perhaps because Newey knows what he's talking about and GW is actually very gifted but not necessarily the right person from a political aspect to galvanise a team.

results count and GW has produced them. OK, he may have bruised ego's along the way and confused people but he got the job done when he had the opportunity. You cant blame him for this years car when he had the rug pulled out from under him last year.

jens
18th July 2007, 20:49
Personally I'm getting quite bored of that endless hype around Red Bull and IMO they are one of the most overhyped teams currently in F1. Honda was also pretty highly hyped before this season (a'la title contenders), but by now people have been brought back down to Earth. When is it going to happen with RB? Are they (and many F1 fans) going to say this year again that "next year will be 'our' year"? Will they start preparing for next seasona gain after mid-season like last year? :D THey have had a couple of promising races (BAH, ESP) - so did they have last year (MON, HUN), but that's too few to call a season a success. 2005 remains to be the best year for Red Bull - and was achieved with a car that was developed by Jaguar and "happened" to be a good one.

I don't want to hear that old record again a'la "Newey & co are such a create team and results are just a matter of time. Everything in the team is so fantastic except the results." Etc, etc. Red Bull is an interesting case, because they have got practically no criticism for lack of results. All the others - even when Ferrari and McLaren have had a bad year - have been criticized for not delivering. About Red Bull I can only hear that "just wait and see" phrase. I urge you to take a more serious and critical look, what is going on there. Now tell - who is responsible for the lack of results?

Valve Bounce
19th July 2007, 01:34
Well, at one stage I even thought Jaguar ................ :(

Dazz9908
20th July 2007, 09:21
^This a really good thing.
Willis and Newey have a good working relationship record.
Thingss will only get better!
Mark needs them to get busy to give him a car that finishes and is Competitive

:)

jso1985
21st July 2007, 00:41
Personally I'm getting quite bored of that endless hype around Red Bull and IMO they are one of the most overhyped teams currently in F1. Honda was also pretty highly hyped before this season (a'la title contenders), but by now people have been brought back down to Earth. When is it going to happen with RB? Are they (and many F1 fans) going to say this year again that "next year will be 'our' year"? Will they start preparing for next seasona gain after mid-season like last year? :D THey have had a couple of promising races (BAH, ESP) - so did they have last year (MON, HUN), but that's too few to call a season a success. 2005 remains to be the best year for Red Bull - and was achieved with a car that was developed by Jaguar and "happened" to be a good one.

I don't want to hear that old record again a'la "Newey & co are such a create team and results are just a matter of time. Everything in the team is so fantastic except the results." Etc, etc. Red Bull is an interesting case, because they have got practically no criticism for lack of results. All the others - even when Ferrari and McLaren have had a bad year - have been criticized for not delivering. About Red Bull I can only hear that "just wait and see" phrase. I urge you to take a more serious and critical look, what is going on there. Now tell - who is responsible for the lack of results?

They're slowly becoming the new Toyota :p :

and with that annoying "we're so cool" attitude Jordan had

jens
22nd July 2007, 17:31
Wow, great showing by Red Bull! I criticized them and they delivered immediately! In "normal" and totally dry conditions they probably wouldn't have beaten McLarens, Ferraris and BMWs, but that's not important at the moment.