PDA

View Full Version : WRC moves to pay TV in Finland

DonJippo
19th December 2006, 18:06
Finnish MTV3 and ISC have signed a contract for MTV3 to air WRC in Finland for next 3 years. Main feed will be on MTV3's pay TV channel, MAX, with new format and more live coverage.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/muutlajit/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/muutlajit/2006/12/492314

janneppi
19th December 2006, 18:08
Oh well, there is always Iltalehti...

Brother John
19th December 2006, 18:15
Can't you not receive SVT in Finland?
Here in Sweden we are lucky next 2 years!

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=33874&a=721584&from=rss
http://www.resultatservice.com/nyheter/2006/12/1213_1.html

SubaruNorway
19th December 2006, 18:16
Does it say anthing about the new format norwegian NRK has signed a deal for two years so i hope it's good. There will be broadcasted atleast 30min from all four days not sure about the amount of live images but most likely stage 17 Elverum 44,28km will be broadcasted live.

Tomi
19th December 2006, 18:16
yes we can, but pay tv sounds much better, i wonder how much they pay if bother to watch

DonJippo
19th December 2006, 18:17

Here where I live I can get it through pay-TV :dozey:

Brother John
19th December 2006, 18:24
I feel very sorry for you guys in Finland. :(
This year I have only been possible to see rally at EuroSport! :s

FrankenSchwinn
19th December 2006, 18:50
i know a site where you can get the eurosport feed for download (usually 5-6 days after a rally) for free. i don't want to advertise it over an open forum so PM me and i'll pass along the link.

A.F.F.
20th December 2006, 00:42
I'm going to look for Jorma Sairanen and when I find him, I'm gonna stick my head up to his ass. And I'm not even sure if Jorma Sairanen is responsible for this. Guess I just want to stick my head up to people's asses :)

JAM
20th December 2006, 00:49
There is an example of what must not be done. And there goes the WRC trying to reach more audience...

GruppoB
20th December 2006, 02:36
It aint so bad you could live in America and get virtually no TV coverage.

tribefiend
20th December 2006, 03:02
It aint so bad you could live in America and get virtually no TV coverage.

Right now I'd love the opportunity to PAY for some coverage.

Buzz Lightyear
20th December 2006, 03:10
Someone is trying to shaft the Fins...

they know you will pay (or enough will pay to make it viable) becuase you have that many drivers in the WRC!!

Woodeye
20th December 2006, 07:43
But as much as I understood (that's not much) there will be also recaps of all the days in the regular MTV3. I hope the recaps are like the ones that've been in YLE for the past few years.

But the again if you compare Ruutulippu (YLE) to Motorforum (MTV3) I can only wait for worse.

Tomi
20th December 2006, 07:46
If the program format is close to what they promise, maybe its not so bad after all. I hope for good pre rally program, with some past driver guest who can analyse the round and also good interviews and the live thing sounds interesting too. Besides if one likes motorsport the Formula 1 is on same channel too, it can also be quite interesting next year how Heikki will do compaired to Kimi.

pino
20th December 2006, 07:55

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=33874&a=721584&from=rss
http://www.resultatservice.com/nyheter/2006/12/1213_1.html

Great news :up: :D I am tired of watching Eurosport and hear the interviews in german :blackeye: Swedish TV normally leaves the interviews in english :up:

DonJippo
20th December 2006, 09:17
Someone is trying to shaft the Fins...

they know you will pay (or enough will pay to make it viable) becuase you have that many drivers in the WRC!!

Well you get a package of four channels including the one that airs both F1 and WRC for 10€ per month so the prize ain't that bad.

jonkka
20th December 2006, 09:57
Besides if one likes motorsport the Formula 1 is on same channel too, it can also be quite interesting next year how Heikki will do compaired to Kimi.

That'll be a difficult comparison to make 'cause Heikki isn't involved in drinking contests and karaoke tournaments? :eek:

janneppi
20th December 2006, 10:04
Well you get a package of four channels including the one that airs both F1 and WRC for 10€ per month so the prize ain't that bad.
So it's 10 Eur for the whole package, or for one channel, when i tried to find info few weeks back, nothing definate was printed.

The max channel has adverts with women in bikini's, so it's not all bad. ;)

Daniel
20th December 2006, 10:10
I'm going to look for Jorma Sairanen and when I find him, I'm gonna stick my head up to his ass. And I'm not even sure if Jorma Sairanen is responsible for this. Guess I just want to stick my head up to people's asses :)
Lack of sunshine getting to you? :p

Does this mean Janneppi, Jonkka, DonJippo, Tomi, A.F.F. and Woodeye are each going to put in 2 euros each and watch it at say DonJippo's house? :p

Daniel
20th December 2006, 10:10
Lack of sunshine getting to you? :p

Does this mean Janneppi, Jonkka, DonJippo, Tomi, A.F.F. and Woodeye are each going to put in 2 euros each and watch it at say DonJippo's house? :p

janneppi
20th December 2006, 10:12
Only to see the bikini chicks. :D

Buzz Lightyear
20th December 2006, 11:24

If 500.000 Finns said the same thing.... the TV company has just made €60.000.000 euros in one year!!!!! That could run 30 WRC cars for one year... :)

Tomi
20th December 2006, 11:26
That'll be a difficult comparison to make 'cause Heikki isn't involved in drinking contests and karaoke tournaments? :eek:

Well, there is always hope :)

DonJippo
20th December 2006, 11:30
So it's 10 Eur for the whole package, or for one channel, when i tried to find info few weeks back, nothing definate was printed.

The max channel has adverts with women in bikini's, so it's not all bad. ;)

10€ for whole package. And MAX has also women without bikini's ;)

A.F.F.
20th December 2006, 13:03

That is one excellent suggestion :up: DJ is about to move in bigger house and his wife makes one helluva blueberry pie. I'm in :wave: When can I bring my stuff Don ? :angel:

A.F.F.
20th December 2006, 13:04
Only to see the bikini chicks. :D

Or, you can come to my place. I got channels with women WITHOUT bikinis :D

DonJippo
20th December 2006, 13:13
When can I bring my stuff Don ? :angel:

Even today if you want as long as you promise to bring your lovely wife with you ;)

Tomi
20th December 2006, 13:16
Even today if you want as long as you promise to bring your lovely wife with you ;)

better just to bring the wife, Jani could go to the house and work with that, its not long until monte anymore. :)

Simmi
20th December 2006, 14:13
Hopefully there will be more 'eye in the sky' action next year to counter a lack of tv coverage.

jiipee64
20th December 2006, 14:41
Actually Eurosport bought one of our DigiTV licences.
Our local newspaper "Keskisuomalainen" wrote that the new channel should be free...
So???

A.F.F.
20th December 2006, 14:47
That is what interest me too. I don't have a digibox yet since I live in cable household. There may be a chance that I'll move and I guess to a house without cable. SO, when I eventually buy a digibox, is Eurosport going to include in the "free" channels or do you need a paycard for it ? And is it going to be in a channel package?

Because then MTV3 MAX would be useless, unless they have very good WRC package.

DonJippo
20th December 2006, 15:02
Actually Eurosport bought one of our DigiTV licences.
Our local newspaper "Keskisuomalainen" wrote that the new channel should be free...
So???

Send this link to "Keskisuomalainen" http://www.digitv.fi/sivu.asp?path=1;699;8663 all new channels, including Eurosport, will be pay-to-view...

JAM
20th December 2006, 15:12
All of you think that is positive to the WRC visibility be in a cable pay channel in a country like Finland?

DonJippo
20th December 2006, 15:23
All of you think that is positive to the WRC visibility be in a cable pay channel in a country like Finland?

Like I wrote in first post main feed will be on pay-TV but there is going to be daily reviews also on "free" TV, allthough currently no-one knows what that means, 5 min, 15min or 60min reviews...

And to be precise there is no such a thing in Finland as free TV, every household having a TV has to pay annual fee to be allowed to watch TV at home...

Lousada
20th December 2006, 15:27
Will they use the same footage as Eurosport? Because the proposed schedule looks like that what Eurosport has been doing?

Tomi
20th December 2006, 15:52
Will they use the same footage as Eurosport? Because the proposed schedule looks like that what Eurosport has been doing?

Partly i guess, but also own material, driver interviews etc., also i think somekind of pre.event, studio stuff, if the format is like the F1 thing.

RS
20th December 2006, 16:08
And to be precise there is no such a thing in Finland as free TV, every household having a TV has to pay annual fee to be allowed to watch TV at home...

Same in the UK, and then we have to pay extra on top to get the satellite channels.

Looks like we're losing the terrestrial TV coverage in the UK too according to this week's Motorsport News: http://www.rallye-info.com/article.asp?sid=0&stid=5823

I didn't bother watching the ITV coverage recently anyway, because it was too late in the day and just the same as Eurosport.

jonkka
20th December 2006, 17:24

Count me out, MTV3 is not getting a cent out of me, crappy channel that it is. Depending on what sort of their free coverage is, it'll be either that, Eurosport or SVT but not pay-TV for me.

janneppi
20th December 2006, 17:35
I can see bars getting new customers when people who haven't bought the right stuff but want to view F1 or Rally broadcast.

Simmi
20th December 2006, 17:43
No surprise at all that ITV will probably drop the WRC. Like people have said it was exactly the same as the Eurosport coverage anyway.

Daniel
20th December 2006, 19:01
Count me out, MTV3 is not getting a cent out of me, crappy channel that it is. Depending on what sort of their free coverage is, it'll be either that, Eurosport or SVT but not pay-TV for me.
Perhaps you should go just for DJ's wife's blueberry pie? :p

jonkka
22nd December 2006, 09:43
Perhaps you should go just for DJ's wife's blueberry pie? :p

That pie, too. Yesh, phlease... :eek:

miksu
11th January 2007, 15:40
at the moment what we were scared about proves to be for nothing. the WRC coverage will be bigger than what i remember ever, at least in years! Everyday at least 30 mins coverage what has happened, saturday mornings short look at the standings at the time, and also programme from the "superspecial" -stage

all "free" that is

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/

A.F.F.
11th January 2007, 16:38
Minus commercials.

miksu
11th January 2007, 16:48
Minus commercials.

yeah...i must admit i didnt think about that at all.

DonJippo
11th January 2007, 18:50
at the moment what we were scared about proves to be for nothing. the WRC coverage will be bigger than what i remember ever, at least in years!

And with pay-TV it's even better and no commercials :D

Tomi
11th January 2007, 19:42
Sounds like a really good consept, really waiting for the analysis, the studioguests will be guys with quite much knowledge about the sport.

A.F.F.
16th January 2007, 01:54
I looked closely what more will MTV3 Max offer to a rallyfan and I have decided not to take it. With 10€/month there won't be but few 15 minutes updates and studio guests plus a preview before the rally. I won't follow F1 so it's going to be a waste of money for me.

Having Eurosport after I have moved to new apartment might have an influence to my decision :D

A.F.F.
17th January 2007, 15:15
I looked closely what more will MTV3 Max offer to a rallyfan and I have decided not to take it. With 10€/month there won't be but few 15 minutes updates and studio guests plus a preview before the rally. I won't follow F1 so it's going to be a waste of money for me.

Having Eurosport after I have moved to new apartment might have an influence to my decision :D

Oh crap. Turns out there are two households in the capital area without Eurosport and I'm moving from to another :dozey:

Seem like I have to eat my words and look more closely that MTV3's offer again.

A.F.F.
19th January 2007, 22:11
Having seen two rally specials by MTV3, I'm hugely disappointed. :down: Almost no footage at all from the stages. Special full of rally related stories with commercials. Today no mention of Stohl, and basicly no other but Loeb, Sordo and Finns.

YLE usually followed other driver too. I just hate the new consept but that's all I have now. :( My rally hobby has faced a real downer now.

AndySpeed
20th January 2007, 20:25
Same in the UK, and then we have to pay extra on top to get the satellite channels.

Looks like we're losing the terrestrial TV coverage in the UK too according to this week's Motorsport News: http://www.rallye-info.com/article.asp?sid=0&stid=5823

I didn't bother watching the ITV coverage recently anyway, because it was too late in the day and just the same as Eurosport.

So, is ITV showing the rally in any way, shape or form? Because looking through the TV times, it seems that it's not being broadcast at all in the UK. :(

RS
20th January 2007, 22:09
So, is ITV showing the rally in any way, shape or form? Because looking through the TV times, it seems that it's not being broadcast at all in the UK. :(

It's on ITV4 at 6pm tomorrow (Sunday)

janneppi
20th January 2007, 22:46
Having seen two rally specials by MTV3, I'm hugely disappointed. :down: Almost no footage at all from the stages. Special full of rally related stories with commercials. Today no mention of Stohl, and basicly no other but Loeb, Sordo and Finns.

YLE usually followed other drivers too. I just hate the new consept but that's all I have now. :( My rally hobby has faced a real downer now.
I too felt the "free" specials were complete rubbish, amateurish commentary, only few seconds of footage.
I have a feeling they put more effort on the "saatanan verenimijät" side :)

cali
21st January 2007, 18:53
I too felt the "free" specials were complete rubbish, amateurish commentary, only few seconds of footage.
100% agree with you. I felt exactly the same. It's like watching Eurosportnews little bit longer. No interviews at the SS finish, very few onboard footage, there was more then 5 drivers driving at good pace. Kopecky did perform excellent throughout the weekend, but we saw him just a few seconds in that programme. Pity! I don't know if it's the fault of the company that provides footage or MTV3, but the level has gone a way down.

DonJippo
21st January 2007, 20:07

Having seen both MTV3 & MAX and Eurosport coverage it looks like MTV3 uses pretty much all the footage there is as available...compared to Eurosport that is...

A.F.F.
21st January 2007, 22:12
Then the footage is TOTAL ****E this year :mad:

This is absolutely outrageus. I watched all the MTV3's free rally specials. I didn't see but few minutes of footage from actual stages. In those the commentary was below standard. No footage nor any commentary of drivers in lower positions. Wrong stagettimes and drivers.

How about Tomi Tuominen and the studio guests ? I don't frigging get it. With all respect to former Finnish rallydrivers and co-drivers, I'm not interested to hear what they have to say about the poor footage they show. I want to see the ****ing footage. If they want to build up a studio and invite guest commentators, they should do so in another forum which would suit fine to their blood-sucking MAX channel.

Now, all I could see was Marcus before the stage and after it. In the middle between I saw a second flash of his car and a result page from the stage. Then we went back to the studio where Tomi Tuominen ask something remotely connected to this tyear's actual rally to which the guest would answer... right after these commercials.

And.. where is that hour long special footage which used to come from YLE tuesday nights?? Where is it ?? Oh, it's on MAX novadays.

Now if that is like it used to be in YLE, I'm willing to get MAX because in my opinion that is the only decent rally footage.

But now I hear that the Eurosport coverage wasn't any different. :eek:

WTF ???

DonJippo
21st January 2007, 22:25
But now I hear that the Eurosport coverage wasn't any different.???

They show what they get...blame ISC or what ever was the name of the new producing company ISC made deal with for this year...

A.F.F.
21st January 2007, 22:28
They show what they get...blame ISC or what ever was the name of the new producing company ISC made deal with for this year...

We're doomed :down:

A.F.F.
21st January 2007, 22:34
Was is a German company who produce the new rally footage for ISC ?? Seppo Rädyn sanoin, Saksa on paska maa.

cali
22nd January 2007, 08:34
Was is a German company who produce the new rally footage for ISC ?? Seppo Rädyn sanoin, Saksa on paska maa.
:laugh:

I would also like to see more footage and less blabbering. Also the footage was very poor, i could see more crowd than cars. Last year it was soooooooooo much better. Haven't seen Eurosport coverage yet but i hoped iyt would be better, but if you guys say that MTV3 was better then - Oh My Dear Lord were doomed and stuck forever to see horrible footage from rallys.
But positive side was the Monaco SSS, which IMO was really entertaining and fun to see, even if some guys were just cruising or having fun only. It would've been even better when they would ran only 1 car at the time IMO.

Brother John
22nd January 2007, 09:39
I was happy with te SVT footage here in Sweden! They use the same footage as Eurosport but showed more cars!!! Another positive point is, It was 50min without advertisement! :up:

RS
22nd January 2007, 09:44
:laugh:

It would've been even better when they would ran only 1 car at the time IMO.

Yes, as they weren't actually together on the track it would have been better one at a time, and the whole circuit, maybe next year :)

I saw the Eurosport coverage and it doesn't sound as bad as the Finnish stuff, but the trend towards this in Finland, and a move off terrestrial TV in the UK is worrying, not only for the fans but for the manufacturers too.

We were told about this amazing new deal with ISC/Sportfive last year, but now the coverage seems worse than ever.

jiipee64
22nd January 2007, 12:04
Last year I used to look YLE and then put Eurosport on tape.
Now I have only MTV3 (both)
And it was very poor...
I don't want to see 2 reporters interviewing each other...
The less I see reporters the better...
I wan't cars and some interviews...

miksu
22nd January 2007, 13:52
I was happy with te SVT footage here in Sweden! They use the same footage as Eurosport but showed more cars!!! Another positive point is, It was 50min without advertisement! :up:

You lucky *******s!! Somehow you always come out as a winner in almost every situation...

DonJippo
22nd January 2007, 18:57

Sounds like the Sunday night review on MAX.

A.F.F.
22nd January 2007, 19:02
How was it DJ ??

I just sent s not so little feedback for MTV3. :devil: If I get an answer, I'll post it on here :D