PDA

View Full Version : Rally NZ Spectating

curry
17th July 2007, 08:36
Hey All,

Just thought I would kick this off and see who is going and what they are planning on doing.

Personally I will be in Hamilton for all three days trying to do a minimum of two stages a day, preferably three depending on the timetable I work out.

Anyone got some good spots to recommend from last year?

Cheers

Curry

cosmicpanda
23rd July 2007, 05:38
The southernmost point on SS8, which was Wairamarama last year and I think is called Franklin this year, is good. It is at the intersection of SS8 and Boswell Rd. You can walk alongside the stage, and there are plenty of places where you can see for ages. Watch out for the fences though, I remember some nasty ones from last year. I think it was L.P. Companc or some Stobart ford driver who spun a little distance from me.

I don't know if you've been there before, but if you haven't, and if anyone else is planning to go: Wrap up warm if it's wet/windy, as it will surely be in winter, because it can be rather unpleasantly cold. Even if it's not raining, bring a raincoat because the weather in the Waikato can be slightly unpredictable. Bring gumboots even if it seems dry, the stages mostly go through farmland and if you want to get out of the spectator areas, you'll have to walk through paddocks.

curry
27th July 2007, 02:58
Thanks cosmicpanda,

Yeah been for the last 4 years now, had a great time every year.

I haven't managed to sit down and work out a plan yet, but your spot does sound a good one. When I start to get my plan together, I let you know what I come up with.

By the way, have you had much trouble in walking up the road from the designated spectator areas?

Cheers

Curry

cosmicpanda
30th July 2007, 11:08
When Rally NZ was in Northland two years ago the marshalls were more strict. But last year I saw them watching us spectators cross the safety tape to move to different areas and they didn't seem to care. So I would say that overall, the marshalls are much more easy going than in the past.

That said, when we arrived at SS8 last year we walked down what we thought was an access road to the stage, because the parking attendant pointed at it and said, "The stage is down there." After a few metres we had a safety car behind us yelling at us to get off the road, which was startling. We had no trouble walking beside the stage through the paddocks and occasional patches of scrub although since it was raining quite heavily it was muddy and slippery. The barbwire fences and electrified fences were mildly unpleasant (electricity and water = ouch) but gumboots are good at solving that. I suppose it's common sense, really; walk beside the stage, not on it.

Oh yes, there was a strange parking arrangement last year where to get into the paddock where they wanted us to park, every single car had to do a three point turn to get past a massive hay bale in the way. And to get out after the stage had been run, every car had to do another three point turn again. With a large queue of cars, that took a while, as you can imagine :p :

curry
31st July 2007, 01:35
Thanks for that, I only managed to get to the Friday last year, so I didn't really see that much.

Its interesting what you say about the marshal's because they were very strict when it was up north, hence my question about last year. My problem is I have been spoiled by going to Rally Sweden this year where you could do just about anything!

drewbud
31st July 2007, 14:34
Coming from the U.S. for this one, can't wait!!! I see the Spectator Map is up on the website http://www.rallynz.org.nz/images/stories/Rally_NZ_Spectator_Map_Low_Res.pdf I have some questions....can spectators access the stage around stage starts/finishes? I see some of them are marked as spec points (and some are closed) but what about the others? Also, I've rented a small campervan, what are the chances of parking up in the stages the evening before? When do the roads get closed and reopened? This is gonna be fun!!!!

Livewireshock
3rd August 2007, 15:13
I'm getting ready to go to RallyNZ too. My second rally in NZ this year after Rally Otago. So my only hope is that is nowhere near as cold. I also managed to get locked into a forest too after following some locals into a quiet spot between stages. In the end, the gates were locked after we entered, requiring me to drive out over the special stage after the sweep.

All set & ready for a good time. It looks likely that 3 stages are possible including the Mystery Creek Super Specials. Although all advice would be good. Plus if any of the forum regulars would like to meet up, that would be a great bonus. Enjoyed Carl's advice & seeing the NZ way of running an event.

cosmicpanda
8th August 2007, 09:05
All set & ready for a good time. It looks likely that 3 stages are possible including the Mystery Creek Super Specials.

I'm going to give the super specials a miss this year. Went last year, it was decent, but nowhere near as good as a proper stage. If you'll take my advice, and if they use the same layout as last year, give the jump a miss and stay by the entrance gate on the steep hill where you can see over the track. Last year you could see the start, water splash, a lot of the track and the finish from that bank. Unfortunately I couldn't watch from there as my family dragged me down to see the jump and hairpin, which weren't all that good :(

I think it'll also be fairly cold (Waikato in the winter, awful) and probably have unpredictable weather. It'll give the cars hell when trying to make tyre choices.

GigiGalliNo1
11th August 2007, 12:58
Compairing NZ to Aus.... I must say last year NZ was oh just great! As a first time going to NZ for the WRC I found it to be a great rally! Heading out to at least 80% of all the stages, and only missing out on one SSS due to the time of start, we were about 20mins late, but other then that the stages were great, access too and from, I still have last years map with directions and which stages and where, and having Gigi Galli with us and Rossi's Gf, PR and best friend it was one hell of a Rally! But for me this year its Japan, as NZ is a bit late now, as my passport has expired :( and I don't think I will be able to get it re done in time for the NZ round! Anyone, if you take some photos of the Mitsubishi WRCar for me that would be great!! Have a great time guys must say the stages I covered last year were excellent!

Xeroid
14th August 2007, 04:23
Can't do Friday due to wife starting new job and having no leave available so hit stages 7 and 8 Sat morning then SS at Mystery Creek that evening.
Stopping in Cambridge just down the road from Mystery Creek that night then Sun morn back to the Service Park to watch the big screens and wrap up.

Wrap up warm and dry people, there's plenty of mud to negotiate.

Camera going to be busy, got a couple of mates driving in the local field ( Good luck guys ).
See if I can get your WRC Mitsi as well GG1

Livewireshock
14th August 2007, 05:12
I'm going to give the super specials a miss this year. Went last year, it was decent, but nowhere near as good as a proper stage. If you'll take my advice, and if they use the same layout as last year, give the jump a miss and stay by the entrance gate on the steep hill where you can see over the track. Last year you could see the start, water splash, a lot of the track and the finish from that bank. Unfortunately I couldn't watch from there as my family dragged me down to see the jump and hairpin, which weren't all that good :(

I think it'll also be fairly cold (Waikato in the winter, awful) and probably have unpredictable weather. It'll give the cars hell when trying to make tyre choices.

Thanks for the advice. Naturally all super specials are fairly mickey mouse in comparison to a full special stage. Just wanting to see as much as possible in the time.

After scouring the maps & acting all 'god' like with Google Earth flying above the stages I have the following wish list.

Day 1
SS2 Waitomo-1 at the Honikiwi Road. Looks like a great open sweeper after the intersection.
SS3 Pirongia West-2 at the designated spectator point for the first few.
SS4 Waitomo-2 at Hauturu Road to see the end of field.
SS5 Mystery Creek-1 to see what is what around the service park too

Day 2
Service Park for early morning action
SS8 Franklin at Bothwell Rd plus see the PBM Rally field
SS10 Te Akau South at start for just the WRC guys
SS11 Te Akau North near Pepepe for the whole field
Mystery Creek for PBM Rally finish

Day 3
SS13 Te Hutewai-1 on Waimaunga Rd
Remote Service Raglan
SS17 Whaanga Coast-2 at Ruapoke Rd
SS18 Mystery Creek-3 to wrap it all up
Ceremonial finish

Hopefully this in not an unreasonable agenda. Glad to hear any critics & suggestions to the contrary.

Also keen to know of worthwhile stop along the way for dinner & lunch whilst on the move.

Will definitely be prepared for the cold though, especially after experiencing Dunedin's sunny climes for Rally Otago in April. LOL

cosmicpanda
14th August 2007, 08:54
Oh yes, a word about where I recommended for the superspecial, it's not actually a marked spectator spot, it's just a very steep hillside with a few billboards on it. I was very cozy underneath one of them until my family called. It might be slippery if it rains, I suppose.

Have they got the rally on Google Earth now? Last year all I could find was the Maungatawhiri stage, which was neat, but not really everything I was hoping for.

http://www.rallynz.org.nz/images/stories/Rally_NZ_Spectator_Map_Low_Res.pdf

I went to spectator spot 1/3.1 last year, which I think is the one you mention on SS3. It was a fairly good spot with a bit of a straight and some corners afterwards that you could walk along and get quite close to the cars. The VIP area was there last year as well, which apparently stopped people from walking past (although I'm sure somebody determined could). I didn't bother trying, I found a nice spot that Henning's 307 actually looked decent from. :p : I think we could see Kawhia harbour from it, but it was hazy. As I remember, the roads around the stages are twisty and so it might take longer than you expect to get from one area to the other. But I like the idea, you'll get to see all the rally cars on the road section heading from SS3 to SS4.

Your plan for SS10 and SS11 is probably quite do-able and could work quite well. I myself want to go to the spot right at the back of stage 11. I was headed there last year but ended up having to go to the intersection of the stage with Woodleigh Road instead to catch the first WRC cars.

Can't do Friday due to wife starting new job and having no leave available so hit stages 7 and 8 Sat morning then SS at Mystery Creek that evening.

How are you going to spectate stage 7? It sounds good from the descriptions of the drivers, but the map shows no access. Are you just going to loiter at the stage start/finish, or have you another plan?

GigiGalliNo1
14th August 2007, 10:02
when i get home, shall get lasts years marked maps etc and tell you guys some great places! :)

Livewireshock
14th August 2007, 12:39
Thanks Cosmicpanda, thought it was a logical choice.

As for Google Earth, no there is not an official Rally NZ overlay for it. I am just used to going crossed eyed looking at aerial photos at work. The first day's stages are of a good quality but the stages north of Raglan Harbour are not. Just looking at the basic contours versus the road overlay.

Koz
18th August 2007, 05:00
This will be the first time I will be going to spectate a rally. So can you guys point me in the right direction? :D

Livewireshock
18th August 2007, 06:39
This will be the first time I will be going to spectate a rally. So can you guys point me in the right direction? :D

Ideally, it mght help to hook up with someone else who has has prior knowledge of the stages etc.. Or you could join the organised tours.

It helps to have researched the stages & look at every possible vantage point. The basic spectator map off the RallyNZ website is of course a start. But you can see that some of us then take that to another level. Looking at aerial maps, seeing where, how & when it is possible to ride, hike or bike into the best spot.

In some regards, it can be like fishing. Everyone wants that perfect position without being crowded with others. Some even camp out at that isolated spot. It also depends on what you wish to see, as many stages as possible moving after the top runners go by or hanging around to see every competitor (who can be just as spectacular).

Do follow the safety instructions on the spectator map. It shows what is typically a dangerous area to stand in & where is safe.

While you may get annoyed by them, obey the officials, they are doing the best for the sake of the rally & with out them volunteering there would be no rally.

If no organised parking is there, park on only one side of the road facing out of the stage. It keeps a clear route open in case of emergency & every one is facing the right way to drive out.

Be prepared for any weather & for delays. An accident or incident may cause a short wait. Have something to eat at hand & plenty of water.

Drink responsibly & do not write yourself off. It causes a bad image to the public & drunks can be a danger to the cars.

Do not drive like a rally driver!!! Your car is not like theirs, you are not driving on a closed road & you will only endanger others, giving us a bad name.

Enjoy yourself & meet some wonderful people. I have always met some great people out on the stages from all around the world. Enjoy the service park too & talk to the service crews. Many are willing to have a yarn when they are not too busy. Rally is the most approachable form of motorsport.

cosmicpanda
20th August 2007, 08:18

Hamilton. :p :

Map your route well because the signs put up to guide spectators are not always reliable. Know where you want to go and when you have to be there (I recommend at least twenty minutes before the first car is due at the stage).

You may enjoy the service park, and you might enjoy the super special if you get a decent view. But from my point of view, they're crowded and not that exciting. It is a good opportunity to see the drivers out of their cars, though. Last year they had nice fireworks.

Don't forget to bring money for at least a day pass if not a full rally pass and parking if its available.

curry
28th August 2007, 01:13
Hey Guys,

Sorry I've taken so long to post this, been far too busy for my own good. Anyway here is my Leg 1 plan.

1. Spectating spot about 7k's into SS2 (marked as binoculars on the programme map). First car should be about 1025. Its about a 1hr drive back to service so I will be leaving about 1115.

2. Service A. First car at 1239. Its about a 90 minute drive to my next spot so I will leaving about 1330. Enough time to see most of the WRC cars have there 30 minute service.

3. Spot 4.4 on SS4. First car should be about 1530. I'm expecting this one to be very busy as it will probably be the most popular for the whole day.

4. Back to Mystery Creek at my leisure depending if I want to watch service or SS5

Thoughts

- Not a very good day for spectators; pushes everyone into a very small amount of spectator spots.

- The official viewing spot on SS1/3 looks boring; the cars come out of a treed section (close to the road) before heading in a straight line which is just about all you are going to see.

Legs 2 & 3 to follow if I get the done today or tomorrow.

Cheers

Curry.

P.S. I'm thinking a Atko podium this weekend :D

curry
28th August 2007, 03:33
Okay, next installment

1. Start of SS7, walking about 1km into stage. Hopefully the marshals won't have a problem with this. First car is due at 0941. Its a 90 minute drive back to Mystery Creek for the Super Special. So I will be leaving at 1040.

2. SS9, Super Special. First car due at 1232. From there I might hang around service a bit before heading for a 60 minute drive to SS11.1. Leaving around 1345.

3. SS11.1, first car should be through at 1546. This spot looks good so I'm expecting it to be very popular, hence I want to get here early to get a good position. From here I will head back to the final service which is a 60 minute drive, so I'll be leaving around 1630 unless I really like the action at this spot.

4. Flexi Service begins at 1741

Thoughts

- Morning stages are not good for spectating with no official spots on 2 out of the 3 morning road stages. Hence why I am trying to get away from the crowd by going to the start of SS7. It's a gamble but I hope it works out.

Curry

cosmicpanda
29th August 2007, 11:12
Hey Guys,
The official viewing spot on SS1/3 looks boring; the cars come out of a treed section (close to the road) before heading in a straight line which is just about all you are going to see.

It's actually not bad, if I know the one you're talking about. There is a treed section, yes, and there is a straight, but you can walk along it to some nice fast corners. It isn't as good as other spots, though, the cars tend to be driving away from you for a lot of the time. I do remember being able to hear them for ages, though, since the stage basically went around the edge of a bowl shaped valley.

1. Start of SS7, walking about 1km into stage. Hopefully the marshals won't have a problem with this. First car is due at 0941. Its a 90 minute drive back to Mystery Creek for the Super Special. So I will be leaving at 1040.

- Morning stages are not good for spectating with no official spots on 2 out of the 3 morning road stages. Hence why I am trying to get away from the crowd by going to the start of SS7. It's a gamble but I hope it works out.

Curry

TV last year managed to completely miss out SS7, which I was disappointed in because I wanted to see how narrow it was. Good luck with it. I think if they don't let you in at the stage start, you might be able to park by the road and then try walking cross country until you hit the stage, Google Earth has some quite good images of the stage. Or of course you could just drive in before the road closes and forget the superspecial.

Something I just thought of but won't be able to do myself - if you look at the map of the stages of leg two, Baker Rd connects SS6 and SS8. It seems to me that it would be possible to drive into the stage before the road closes, watch SS6 from the junction of Baker Rd and SS6, and then drive along to SS8 and watch that stage from the junction of SS8 and Baker Rd.

In all honesty, last year SS8 wasn't too crowded. That might just've been because of the awful weather, though.