PDA

View Full Version : Passenger rides

darknessrock
16th July 2007, 21:12
Has anyone taken a passenger ride on a sunday morning? We don't usually get there until arund 10am, but if there's a chance of a free ride, we'll come earlier. What are the chances of getting a ride? Are the queues big? is there an age restricton?
Any info welcome..
Thanks

LessThanSte
16th July 2007, 21:48
They always run them from around 9 i think.Certainly, they are going when i arrive around 9:15.

As for queues, ive never seen any, though there seems to be a constant stream of cars coming in and going out!

Tony Hurdle
16th July 2007, 22:05
I sometimes help out with the passenger rides if time permits and I'm not due at a drivers meeting. They normally run from 9am for approx 3/4 hour. Can't go fast unfortunately, about 70, but it gives the fans an idea of what it's all about.

If you're about at the weekend come on down. If I'm doing the rides, it might be me you get. Whatever happens hope you have fun and we get some decent weather.

Tony

darknessrock
16th July 2007, 22:20
I might take you up on that Tony... is there any age limit for kids? My boys would love a ride with their favourite driver :) :)

Tiesse
16th July 2007, 23:02
I might take you up on that Tony... is there any age limit for kids? My boys would love a ride with their favourite driver :) :)

Just the question that I was going to ask.

Tony Hurdle
16th July 2007, 23:31
"Favourite driver." Thank you. I didn't know.

Great to know there are you guys out there. Anyway, in reply to your and Tiesse's question, I'm not aware of any age restrictions. I've taken quite a few young ones around the Rock this year. I do stand to be corrected on this but I'm guessing as long as a parent is there, then it shouldn't be an issue. How young are your little ones?

JDPower
17th July 2007, 06:32
Has anyone taken a passenger ride on a sunday morning? We don't usually get there until arund 10am, but if there's a chance of a free ride, we'll come earlier. What are the chances of getting a ride? Are the queues big? is there an age restricton?
Any info welcome..
Thanks
We did it last year, well worth doing, kids will love it. Even with the speed limit (which was strictly stuck to by our driver, honest :angel: ) its an experience. Especially with the lad that took us round (Stuart Gough IIRC), he really tried to recreate some of the feel of it by following, and giving commentary on, the racing lines and driving hard up to the wall :up:

Tiesse
17th July 2007, 08:46
"Favourite driver." Thank you. I didn't know.

Great to know there are you guys out there. Anyway, in reply to your and Tiesse's question, I'm not aware of any age restrictions. I've taken quite a few young ones around the Rock this year. I do stand to be corrected on this but I'm guessing as long as a parent is there, then it shouldn't be an issue. How young are your little ones?

My Nephew is 11 & my Son is 6.

car20
17th July 2007, 14:40
:D me and family got taking arounnd by hunter on 1st round in the mini van with two 13 year olds and thought it was cool( i did too as it was free :) )
Had a running commentary around which wife liked and gave her a and kids more better knowledge of oval racing!

A down side wife thought he was cute :mad:

Tony Hurdle
17th July 2007, 14:58

Shouldn't be a problem.

Tiesse
17th July 2007, 15:37
Shouldn't be a problem.

My Son is quite shy & may not want to do it, but I am sure my Nephew shall jump at the chance.

That should help me get my Nephew ready quicker on Sunday!

Tony Hurdle
17th July 2007, 18:42
My Son is quite shy & may not want to do it,!

Don't worry. We drivers don't bite :-)

darknessrock
17th July 2007, 20:11
How young are your little ones?

Not that little anymore.. 10 & almost 12.
If we don't make it there early enough this time, we'll still come and say "hi".
Bill

Tony Hurdle
17th July 2007, 21:41
If we don't make it there early enough this time, we'll still come and say "hi".
Bill

Look forward to it.

Pickup55
17th July 2007, 23:46

As I was unable to race my Pickup at the last round I did the passenger rides - one way of getting some track time I suppose

On one session there was a lad of six so it won't be a problem Tiesse

When I did the passenger rides before it was in a 330 BMW - but it was a strange experience this time as it was in the 7 seater ambulance - and on one session there were six passengers !!

Last time I was in this vehicle was after I hit the wall at turn 1, so it was a bit odd

Good fun though as people appreciated the commentary and the lines taken etc

Get down there as you will really enjoy it - maybe Stanty might be doing it this time handing out Cheerio bars

stanty
18th July 2007, 10:47
Get down there as you will really enjoy it - maybe Stanty might be doing it this time handing out Cheerio bars[/QUOTE]

Tell you what Tony, do do the driving and I will clooect the tickets and give out the Cheerios bars in the back!

You may be able to give us afew driving tips to keep me out of that wall !!

stanty
18th July 2007, 10:48
Get down there as you will really enjoy it - maybe Stanty might be doing it this time handing out Cheerio bars[/QUOTE]

Tell you what Tony, do do the driving and I will collect the tickets and give out the Cheerios bars in the back!

You may be able to give us afew driving tips to keep me out of that wall !!

racing59
18th July 2007, 21:57
Blimey, sounds like On The Buses. Where's Blakey?

I might do a bit of chauffeuring this time...

It's a shame that we can't run the two seaters and raise some money for our respective charitable concerns.

darknessrock
18th July 2007, 22:16
It's a shame that we can't run the two seaters and raise some money for our respective charitable concerns.
Why can't you Rob? I wouldn't mind paying good money for a few laps in the 2 seater.... all for a good cause :) .....
Or maybe get a open-backed pickup... then 5 or 6 people could sit in the back :) :)

Nick Brad
19th July 2007, 12:32

Are you providing the hearing aids afterwards then? ;)

racing59
19th July 2007, 19:58
Pardon? Eh? Wot?

Nick Brad
19th July 2007, 21:07
Pardon? Eh? Wot?

Exactly, it's been a few months since you were in the 2 seater and your hearing still hasn't returned to before. :p :

racing59
19th July 2007, 21:23
It doesn't have to be that way - just stay away from the wall - well not too close.... and not flat through 3!!!

Nick Brad
20th July 2007, 14:24
Not flat through 3, are you joking? Where's the fun in that, I'd trust you completely as I know that turn 3 is easy, let's see it through turn 1. ;) :D

Tiesse
22nd July 2007, 23:28
well, we made it over for the passenger ride this morning & the kids loved it!

The only small critisism I would make is that the area to go to for the ride was not that well posted & we eventually found it by being nosey. Only a minor gripe.

I didn't get the driver's name, but thanks all the same.

racing59
23rd July 2007, 01:00
If it wasn't Tony, it was probably Hunter.

FRWW
23rd July 2007, 14:22
I sometimes help out with the passenger rides if time permits and I'm not due at a drivers meeting. They normally run from 9am for approx 3/4 hour. Can't go fast unfortunately, about 70, but it gives the fans an idea of what it's all about.

If you're about at the weekend come on down. If I'm doing the rides, it might be me you get. Whatever happens hope you have fun and we get some decent weather.

Tony

Oi - young man - I've been waiting to get a two-seater ride for the past 5 years - can you swing anything for me, your little jelly belly team mate ?!!!