PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Bonkin'

oily oaf
16th July 2007, 17:17
Sorry to bore all the non Londoners to tears with this one but I just had to put finger to keyboard when I learned from the speaking radio machine that "colourful" Tory MP "Bonkin" Boris Johnson is to run for Mayor of London in the forthcoming election.
For those of you unfamiliar with this somewhat eccentric gentleman he's a rather rotund figure with a shock of white unruly hair and when not "entertaining" the ladies is given to making disparaging remarks about the populace of various British cities.
I believe he once said that Portsmouth had too many unemployed people, fat people and Labour MPs.
Despite the occasional faux pas he is a highly educated and astute man who has held many positions of responsibility in the Shadow Cabinet and was once editor of The Statesman.
He is also a fine orator with great personal charm. Personally I find it hard to dislike the guy despite his political leanings.
All in all I think old "Red Ken" may have quite a fight on his hands come election time.
Bonking v Bolshevism. Bring it on :D

Dave B
16th July 2007, 17:27
He's a lovable idiot, but that only gets you so far in life. He's undoubtedly intelligent, despite the veneer of stupidity, but should he be in charge of a £6 billion budget?

The bigger question, possibly, is what does this say about the Conservatives if Boris is the best candidate they can field? :crazy:

Curryhead
16th July 2007, 17:56
Go Boris!!! :) I wonder how many people he will upset if he gets elected :) :) :)

DonnieDarco
16th July 2007, 17:59
Well, there's nobody Boris can't upset when he really puts his mind to it :D

I like him too though, can't help it :D

oily oaf
16th July 2007, 18:03
He's a lovable idiot, but that only gets you so far in life. He's undoubtedly intelligent, despite the veneer of stupidity, but should he be in charge of a £6 billion budget?

The bigger question, possibly, is what does this say about the Conservatives if Boris is the best candidate they can field? :crazy:

Bloody hell Dave! You've single handedly saved this thread from becoming the most studiously ignored since Knock On breathlessly announced to a rapt forum that the England Rugby Union team were appointing a new manager.

In actual fact I've since learned from the moving, talking, television apparatus that Boris is merely one of around 50 candidates for the job.
Among the other motley protagonists are Digby Jones, Lord Stevens and LBC radio presenter and all round prize twunt Nick Ferrari.

As for Boris' ability to handle the considerable fiscal responsibilities that go with the gig. I can't answer that, but there's only so many bottles of Veuve Cliquot and pretty ladies that one man can buy surely ;)

oily oaf
16th July 2007, 18:04
Christ there's more of 'em.
Will his thread go past 1000 posts before sundown?
The jury's out :s mokin:

Curryhead
16th July 2007, 18:08
oh, and I forgot to add, I like the guy aswell :)

Dave B
16th July 2007, 19:31
In actual fact I've since learned from the moving, talking, television apparatus that Boris is merely one of around 50 candidates for the job.
I know, but why let the facts get in the way of comedy? :p

Among the other motley protagonists are Digby Jones, Lord Stevens and LBC radio presenter and all round prize twunt Nick Ferrari.
Digby Jones? The biggest dog in the world? I'd vote for him!

BDunnell
16th July 2007, 20:20
I agree with Dave. Boris is fun, and he's clearly not a reactionary, unthinking right-winger like so many of his Tory colleagues, but I just can't take him seriously as a politician. I have come to dislike Ken Livingstone, but I don't think Boris is the answer.

Brown, Jon Brow
16th July 2007, 20:28
I agree with Dave. Boris is fun, and he's clearly not a reactionary, unthinking right-winger like so many of his Tory colleagues, but I just can't take him seriously as a politician. I have come to dislike Ken Livingstone, but I don't think Boris is the answer.

Maybe you like Boris because he is one of the reasons the Tories are a laughing stock?? :confused:

Drew
16th July 2007, 20:52
Brilliant, quite possibly the most interesting politician there is. He certainly isn't afraid (or aware) to say what he thinks :)

Malbec
17th July 2007, 01:36
Surely he's in there as the past two elections have shown that you need a celebrity to win, and Ken is certainly one of those.....

I like Boris, he's certainly not lacking in personality and is one heck of a lot brighter and more astute than his image suggests. Problem is that Ken hasn't really done much wrong and currently left wing is still more trendy than right wing.

Wish Boris all the best though!

Mark in Oshawa
17th July 2007, 04:58
Sounds like this guy is a cartoon character. Well, Toronto elected a guy like that and he eventually wore very thin with people. Ken sounds like the man that fun forgot and a bolshevik tax and spend kind of guy, but you need someone with a personality who isn't going to be embarassing in office. Boris may be the first, but embarassing I think he will be.....

stevie_gerrard
17th July 2007, 09:43
It would be the best thing in politics if Boris got to be Mayor of London :laugh: just imagine it.... :D

Loobylou
17th July 2007, 18:18
Sounds like this guy is a cartoon character. Well, Toronto elected a guy like that and he eventually wore very thin with people. Ken sounds like the man that fun forgot and a bolshevik tax and spend kind of guy, but you need someone with a personality who isn't going to be embarassing in office. Boris may be the first, but embarassing I think he will be.....

Ken's quite capable of embarassing us & himself...

Not much can compare with telling a jewish journalist that he reminds you of a nazi prison guard. :rolleyes:

Dave B
27th September 2007, 09:25
Well, Boris it is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7014739.stm

BDunnell
27th September 2007, 13:10
There's a surprise — not. I wonder how the electorate in Henley feels about his commitment to them at the moment?

If he does win, I look forward to Boris' response to a terrorist attack being 'Oh, gadzooks.'

Ian McC
28th September 2007, 11:34
I wouldn't vote for him having seen him on Have I Got News For You

He really doesn't seem to have much of a clue on reality.

CharlieJ
28th September 2007, 12:44
They had to field someone who is more loony than Red Ken!

Since Boris is a bit of a car nut, will he impose a congestion charge on buses and tubes, and drop the one for cars???

:p

SOD
28th September 2007, 13:26
I wouldn't vote for him having seen him on Have I Got News For You

He really doesn't seem to have much of a clue on reality.

This country was slipping into the sea until margaret Thatcher came along.

Boris thought that he was the centre of attention on HIGNFY

BDunnell
28th September 2007, 13:28
Since Boris is a bit of a car nut, will he impose a congestion charge on buses and tubes, and drop the one for cars???

:p

Especially convertibles with a couple of 'nice dolly-birds' in the back, what!