PDA

View Full Version : How are you doing your Christmas shopping?

Mark
19th December 2006, 15:34
Trevor 'I don't do any work but still get paid, hahahaha' McDonald was on last night about how people are deserting the traditional high street for their christmas shopping and tending to do their shopping online instead.

Too right they are, who wants to be fighting through the crowds and queuing up at the shops when you can just have a few clicks on Amazon and it's on it's way.

How are you doing / have done your shopping this year?

555-04Q2
19th December 2006, 15:36
All online. Refuse to try and fight with 1 million woman and kids at the local shopping centres.

schmenke
19th December 2006, 15:57
All online. Refuse to try and fight with 1 million woman and kids at the local shopping centres.

:up: Too right. This was the first year that I've done all my shopping on-line. I can't stand shopping this time of year, and I've typically always procrastenated until the last minute. This year, my shopping was all done a month ago. Sitting at home at the 'puter, in my bath robe, fluffy bunny slippers, with credit card in hand and a hot cocoa beats the mayem in the malls any day :D :up:

franna3
19th December 2006, 16:00
All the major gifts were bought and shipped out 2 weeks ago --- all have arrived at their destination.

Did live shopping --- there were no crowds and no hassle.

DocF225
19th December 2006, 16:15
I did all mine in person. Of course, I started back in Spetember so that by November I'm done. I still go out on Christmas Eve and watch people melt down. It's fun to watch people's heads explode.

Dave B
19th December 2006, 17:51
About two-thirds in the shops as I find it easier to get inspiration wandering around. But a decent amount was bought online as in most cases it's cheaper and easier.

The big food shop will be done in person though - I simply cannot imagine letting somebody else choose my food, plus there are always a few last-minute clearance bargains. It'll be at the dead of night however, I once queued for nearly an hour in Tesco and it's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy.

Hazell B
19th December 2006, 20:01
Since installing some antivirus, my computer's not letting me order from play.com, etc. It's meant a day out in Leeds yesterday was spent mainly in the DVD shops choosing full price stuff :mark:

Should have bought a book about computers for myself while I was there :p :

airshifter
19th December 2006, 20:44
Most of mine was done online. In the end I usually pay less and save time, fuel for the car, and the parking lot antics.

I'll probably take my daughter out one afternoon this week so we can get a few last minute stocking stuffers.

There was something on the Yahoo (US) homepage a day or two ago about a record for a single day of online shopping. I don't want to risk misquoting the figure, but it was a lot higher than I thought it would be!

Captain VXR
19th December 2006, 20:52
Half and half for me :up:

Hazell B
19th December 2006, 21:06
Just realised I'd aranged to meet somebody to hit Tesco tonight at 6pm. My phone's on charge, so I won't have heard it ringing if she's called to remind me. Oops, I forgot.

That means facing the hoards of pointy-elbowed women (and Brockman)searching for perfect sprouts tomorrow afternoon. I'm dreading it :(

Oli_M
19th December 2006, 21:11
About 50-50 for me. Managed to brave Lakeside today during the day time (last day before kids break up from school) - wasn't too bad. Almost done now :D and still 3 whole days to go he he!

nicemms
19th December 2006, 21:37
I have done all of mine. I don't want to have to go into Leeds on Saturday. Though I might have to if Tesco's online don't deliver everything for my mum.

The Kitten Kat
19th December 2006, 22:19
Normally I tend to do most of my Xmas shopping on-line.

However, this year has all been a bit 'up in the air' for the last few weeks and I headed to my parents' place earlier than originally expected (although the original plan was to have not arrived here until between Xmas and New Year) so I've had to trawl the shops for most of mine this year. Nearly finished now, just bits for my mum left really. It's also helped as I've only had to buy for my parents, sister and a couple of family friends this year, so minimal pressie shopping required.

Parents and I, however, did complete the 'Xmas booze' shopping trip this evening! Which leaves just a minimal food shopping trip required at the end of the week!

CarlMetro
20th December 2006, 00:51
Did all of my present shopping in one morning and it only took two shops to get everything. This was after plenty of research online beforehand.

Completely opposite to Dave though in the fact that the vast majority of the food shop arrived tonight after doing it online, just a bit of fruit and fresh veg and salad stuff to get, which the wife will pick up in her lunchtime tomorrow.

J4MIE
20th December 2006, 01:41
I have done all of mine. I don't want to have to go into Leeds on Saturday. Though I might have to if Tesco's online don't deliver everything for my mum.

I wish you luck with that! :p : :up:

(although well done on actually booking it correctly, you'd be amazed at the people that cannot!)

ian959
20th December 2006, 03:47
Sitting at home at the 'puter, in my bath robe, fluffy bunny slippers, with credit card in hand and a hot cocoa beats the mayem in the malls any day :D :up:

An image that I really could have done without :)

What's Christmas shopping? Haven't done any in years - waste of time and money. Don't buy squat and don't expect squat.

LeonBrooke
20th December 2006, 03:58
I think I've almost finished, which means I've almost certainly forgotten someone important...

555-04Q2
20th December 2006, 07:04
Sitting at home at the 'puter, in my bath robe, fluffy bunny slippers

No wonder you dont want to go to the shops :laugh: :p :

Mark
20th December 2006, 09:01
Did most of the food shopping on Monday. Will make a quick trip on Friday to get some last minute stuff. But then I'm going to two other houses and not entertaining anyone, so the food bill is small :D

Woodeye
20th December 2006, 11:39
I'm finished with shopping now for a year.

I decided not to by anything expensive to my family (mom, dad, sister and brother) this year. Instead of presents I decided to give each one 15 small trees to be given away for charity in Africa. This "gift" is organized by Finnish church. Not bad present for those who have almost everything, and not bad for the ones who will get the trees at the end.

Still had to by some toys for godson and goddaughter... ;)

ioan
20th December 2006, 12:17
Christmas shopping = losing time, lots of time, so I gave up to buy presents some time back, and I told everyone that they are free to do the same!

jim mcglinchey
20th December 2006, 13:21
Bah, Humbug.

I did most of mine with Amazon, but I felt duty bound to get some stuff locally so as to help support the shops in town.

Knock-on
20th December 2006, 13:35
Haven't started yet and I'm playing Golf Friday / Saturday at the Belfry with Family down on Sunday.

May wander down Oxford Street tomorrow for an afternoon.

pino
20th December 2006, 14:24
I did all my shoppings 3 weeks ago, don't want any stress just before xmas, because I will miss my appetite :p :

Dave B
20th December 2006, 15:32
May wander down Oxford Street tomorrow for an afternoon.

You brave man. Really. :dozey: :p

slinkster
20th December 2006, 15:55
I actually did the majority of mine in the shops this year, I started early to avoid being crushed or bored to death by queuing in the shops. Online is fine as long as you get it in time.

Dave B
22nd December 2006, 10:25
I'm very pleased that I didn't do my food shopping online. Tesco was fairly crowded yesterday morning, much like a typical Saturday but less busy than I expected. But watching the staff pick peoples' orders and quite literally chuck stuff into the baskets was an eye-opener. There's going to be a lot of bruised fruit and broken eggs in cupboards this Christmas.

Got my sprouts though! :D ;)

J4MIE
22nd December 2006, 11:32
I'm very pleased that I didn't do my food shopping online. Tesco was fairly crowded yesterday morning, much like a typical Saturday but less busy than I expected. But watching the staff pick peoples' orders and quite literally chuck stuff into the baskets was an eye-opener. There's going to be a lot of bruised fruit and broken eggs in cupboards this Christmas.

...which also means lots of people phoning up to complain! You'd also be amazed at the amount of food ordered that goes 'missing', between it getting picked, packed, put in the van and delivered to your door :\ Or it gets thrown into the wrong basket so you get some of somebody else's food too but don't get charged for it..

Someone phoned during the week cos the price of the turkey they had ordered had shot up....

...to £14,000! :laugh: :laugh:

Iain
22nd December 2006, 17:30
I was in Tescos there to look for something completely unrelated to Christmas. So busy. :s

I do like online shopping, but then I don't have the patience to wait on things being delivered.

nicemms
22nd December 2006, 18:05
I am very glad we went to Tescos online.

1.Arrived early,which was no problem.

2. All Items were there with only one sub which was for once quite sensible

However the only reason we got our normal slot was due to the fact we booked it 3 weeks in advance.

Drew
22nd December 2006, 18:06
I did my christmas shopping in Plymouth today and I took the train.

The train was brilliant, the shopping was not. Apparently it seems to be a good idea to stop right infront of the door of every shop. Must be a new fad :s

Dave B
22nd December 2006, 18:27
From today's Times, some figures on online shopping:

The poll found that nearly two fifths of adults (38 per cent) did some of their Christmas shopping on the internet this year. Professionals and managers (45 per cent) and those living in the South East (41 per cent) were the most likely to have shopped on the internet.

A recent survey by the business advisers Deloitte noted that many consumers used the internet just for price comparisons rather than purchases. Four fifths of retailers say that less than a tenth of their overall sales are made online.

source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-2515035,00.html

Hazell B
22nd December 2006, 20:53
.... did complete the 'Xmas booze' shopping trip this evening!

I did that the other day; one bottle vodka, one bottle gin, four pack of Tesco Value Bitter (for the ponies that last one) then got home to find a bottle of vodka, a bottle of gin and some canned Guinness already in :s

If only I'd looked ..... Grrrrrr!

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd December 2006, 23:02
Not looking forward to work tomorrow at all! Should be the busiest day of the year. If you are in the Garstang area please stay away from Booths supermarket!! :s :s :s

Drew
22nd December 2006, 23:04
Anybody up for a trip to Garstang tomorrow?

"Excuse me, Sir, can you tell me if there is beef in this beef burger?"

Drew
23rd December 2006, 02:36
I just came back from shopping at tescos, because I thought it would be empty.

Emptier, but somehow a lot of people lost their common sense :s

oldhippie
23rd December 2006, 02:53
my shoppin is done and the pressies delivered ho ho ho