PDA

View Full Version : Good for Wilson jr.

A.F.F.
19th December 2006, 14:51
Wilson jr. admit in the newest article of chrash.net that he didn't score enough points in current season. http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~Wilson-Jr--I-didn-t-score-enough-points-this-year-~cid~4~id~141446.htm

Now, I'm not expert in rallying and I don't want to bash the guy but NO **** ????

Very good though he doesn't build castle in Spain :mark: :up:

GigiGalliNo1
19th December 2006, 14:53
well he was the only driver to ever retire in each round and do superally in each round to add.

Simmi
19th December 2006, 15:09
No need to start a thread about it was there. Not that there is really anything else to talk about.

JAM
19th December 2006, 15:16
A guy with good comon sense that only has a father without that behaviour. 2006 in a Stobart grp N Subaru had been much better, I said that in January, but ok. Who am i to make comments?

After first year in WRC, everybody wait results in 2007, no doubts about that and no space to excuses. The knowledge of rallyes is there, the experience is there, if the skills are there too then the results will appear.

JAMESWRC
19th December 2006, 15:21
well he was the only driver to ever retire in each round and do superally in each round to add.

Don't remember him retiring in WRGB? so not qite every round.

Simmi
19th December 2006, 15:28
Why would it have been better JAM he's done a full season in a WRC car and driven the vast majority of stages with help from SupeRally. That sets him up next year perfectly and as you say if he doesnt do better next year then fine. I just cant see how putting him in a slower car would have helped, apart from keeping forumers off his back, but luckily he doesn't have to listen to the narrow minded ranting of the people on here (not especially aimed at you JAM).

JAM
19th December 2006, 16:14
Why would it have been better JAM he's done a full season in a WRC car and driven the vast majority of stages with help from SupeRally. That sets him up next year perfectly and as you say if he doesnt do better next year then fine. I just cant see how putting him in a slower car would have helped, apart from keeping forumers off his back, but luckily he doesn't have to listen to the narrow minded ranting of the people on here (not especially aimed at you JAM).

With a Grp N car Wilson Jr would had been away from the eyes of WRC followers, besides de fact that he had saved money. In a WRC everybody was looking at him, specially because is Wilson's son and has promoted at the beggining of the year as youngest in a WRC. IMO he felt the pressure, even if he says that didn't. With a grp N he had learned the rallyes and in 2007 could make some good results in a WRC that would be seen as very positive, as an evolution. Now, he must do good results to be seen as a good driver because everybody is waiting it. The fact of having 19 or 20 yo is useless, he is between the big ones and must be fast and consistent, otherwise will be seen as a wast of resources.

Mr Wilson wanted his son in a WRC car as soon as possible. He had it. And now? Now pay the price. Pressure from all that follow the WRC. No mistakes allowed in 2007 otherwise we know what will happen.... and the forum is a litle peace of rally fans. I know a lot of people that don't come here and when talking about Matthew Wilson they say "ah that one that the father gave a WRC car. Rich one..." Be seen as a rich one and not as a good drivers probably is not the intention os his project. isn't it?

Tom206wrc
19th December 2006, 16:31
But would Malcolm Wilson let his son driving another car than a Ford ?? :confused:

I mean in GrN, until S2000 come, you have only two japanese cars: Mitsubishi and Subaru...nothing from Ford, the factory represented by Malcolm :mark:

Simmi
19th December 2006, 16:36
He shouldnt have to feel the pressure though he should just be able to develop at his own pace. I think these are more your views then those of the world's WRC fans. He isnt taking anyones drive, his dad is giving him a shot, if he's prepared to do it then fine, its not his fault people expect too much of a young driver. It's not like he's been given the role of president or something he's just driving a car so what on earth is the problem I really fail to see why it is such an issue.

turves
19th December 2006, 17:08
No mistakes allowed in 2007 otherwise we know what will happen....

What will happen? He has a five year plan in the WRC and he's in no hurry. He hasnt set the stages alight this year, we all know that, but its a big learning curve going from National events to the WRC. This year, ok, he hasnt finished every round, but he's gained experience of the events, and of driving a WRC car.

As I've said before, without him there wouldnt be a Stobart M2 team, which would mean others (Latvala, Companc, etc) probably wouldnt be out there in the second car.

FrankenSchwinn
19th December 2006, 17:38
i think what jam is saying is that he's a richboy with a not-so-deserved bucket in a rally car. having said that, i, me, myself, think it's not really that he didnt deserve it, but more like others deserved it more because they would have tickled the front runners and pulled some points away from some. i do understand (learned it from another thread) that there really isn't much to do in the uk as far as wrc's are concerned and that basically he "learned" all he could from there. but still, i'm sorry to say that he doesn't have that title and could have possibly avoided some mistakes that he did this year had he been a seasoned rallyman. and running the brc could have maybe elevated the sport's popularity in the uk and brought some more sponsorship on board. set ups would have been easier to figure out and the rally routines would have been going like clockwork. classic case of too much too quickly and might end up pulling a duval. but dont get me wrong, i wish him the best.

He hasnt set the stages alight this year, we all know that, but its a big learning curve going from National events to the WRC.

why don't you tell that to marcus or loeb..... both of them, the first year they tried a full season in their respective "wrc" and they freaking win the crown!

cut the b.s.
19th December 2006, 17:50
i think what jam is saying is that he's a richboy with a not-so-deserved bucket in a rally car. having said that, i, me, myself, think it's not really that he didnt deserve it, but more like others deserved it more because they would have tickled the front runners and pulled some points away from some.

why don't you tell that to marcus or loeb..... both of them, the first year they tried a full season in their respective "wrc" and they freaking win the crown!

!!!!!! I agree with you for the 1st time ever!! A lot of Matts problem is the UK has a couple of very talented drivers who cant get seats, if Meeke or Wilks had the WRC seats they deserve people would let Matt keep learning if it took till he was 40

PS Marcus was around for ever and in some decent cars before he got his proper WRC shot, fair play to him he took it but he was an experienced driver

FrankenSchwinn
19th December 2006, 18:45
!!!!!! I agree with you for the 1st time ever!! A lot of Matts problem is the UK has a couple of very talented drivers who cant get seats, if Meeke or Wilks had the WRC seats they deserve people would let Matt keep learning if it took till he was 40

PS Marcus was around for ever and in some decent cars before he got his proper WRC shot, fair play to him he took it but he was an experienced driver

hehe, there is no shame in agreeing with me. i bet that with a good beer in hand all the forum members would get along with me!

about your marcus comment, well, that's what my point was, he was a well prepared rally driver. all i said was that his first full season in a wrc and he wham bam thank you m'am he's got a big 'ol trophy and all the karjala he can drink.
i dont think it would take matt till he's 40 to "get it" though. i'm sure that the things he lacks for stage superiority are minor and will come soon, it's just that the UK could have had another superstar or at least another inspiration in rallying by now!

JAM
19th December 2006, 20:26
I am and always will be against the baby drivers in WRC to learn how to drive a WRC and how to be fast. If they are fast, then could be accepted, if they are not fast they are only sending down the WRC reputation. I'm critic about Matthew as was about Andreas Aigner. WRC in a WRC car is for the best ones or for the better prepared, not for the "baby drivers".

Aigner put is feet on earth and realize that WRC wasn't for his actual skills (and pocket), Wilson have very deep pockets so the skills are secundary. To run in a WRC car and be the last of the M2 teams, is bad for a driver reputation. But as some of you think that is not, ok. Eache one with his own opinion.

Don't blame by Meek pull out of WRC. In britain you have the money and have the good drivers, you only have to join eache other to have a decent World class driver as McRae was. It's really a shame so much money spent in rallying and Britain (the centre of motorsport) and still don't have a good driver on WRChampionship.

Stobbart VK would exist even without Matthew Wilson, it would be called M-Sport M2. Latvala, Companc and Katajamaki had money to race and of course Malcon Wilson would had rented the cars and the service. It's a question of money. Don't start doinf movies in your head to justify one more team :D

Peugeot206WRC
19th December 2006, 20:50
I am and always will be against the baby drivers in WRC to learn how to drive a WRC and how to be fast. If they are fast, then could be accepted, if they...

woord!
I mean the whole post you did, not only the quotes up there.

Dont think he belongs in the wrc yet.

noel157
19th December 2006, 21:31
A question for the Wilson supporters. Ok, putting aside the resouces/finance/opportunities available from Papa Wilson what do you expect him to acheive in 07? Will he start finishing in top 10 on a regular basis without help from Superrally, top 6, maybe the odd podium? I ask this only in rallying terms, I appreciate that there is some patriotic support for young Wilson but putting that aside what does 07 hold in store for him?

JAM
20th December 2006, 00:36
woord!
I mean the whole post you did, not only the quotes up there.

Dont think he belongs in the wrc yet.

But belongs, his name probably will be on the list. The list of what should be the world class drivers.

The patriotriotism is a problem sometimes.

A.F.F.
20th December 2006, 00:39
Considering Matthew has a five year plan, the next step should be finishing rallyes and steadily raising the pace. Like it has been said, Matthew's seat isn't away from anybody, I'm quite comfortable him learning the stages in real rallies. Therefore, positions in top ten and around should please Papa Malcom.

Does it please the rallying fans is a whole other case....

GigiGalliNo1
20th December 2006, 02:01
Don't remember him retiring in WRGB? so not qite every round.

Ok, on tv they said it during NZ

sxis
20th December 2006, 02:06
its nice to make comments about matt when most of us could only dream of a top ten finnish in wrc how many of us could even handle that sort of car! is'nt it great being an armchair critic1

GigiGalliNo1
20th December 2006, 02:13
ok ok ok i get your point. but just saying that he was the only driver to have retired and restarted in each round (Exclu GB) that i've heard. I'm not bashing him or anything. Just saying.

JAM
20th December 2006, 10:17
its nice to make comments about matt when most of us could only dream of a top ten finnish in wrc how many of us could even handle that sort of car! is'nt it great being an armchair critic1

This is not a fashion passerelle. This is the top of a sport called rallying. Only the real good drivers should reach the top. Usually in sport is that way, the good reach the top. Have you understood that?

If only the ones who reach the WRC level could make critics, then is better to close the forum and all of us go to see tv. Patriotism sometimes is a problem.

Simmi
20th December 2006, 12:37
When I support Matt its not through blind patriotism. He isn't a brilliant driver and he wont ever be a world champion. But neither will Duval, Martin, Marku Alen etc. What annoys me is the fact that he is ripped to pieces by people when all he is doing is following his dream. Maybe he doesnt belong in the WRC but who are we to decide that? He isnt taking anyone's seat for the thousandth time.

Would we all be in agreement that if Anthony Warmbold had been given another 2 years at WRC level he would have been consistent top 8 about the level of someone like Pons? I believe Wilson is better than Warmbold he just needs time.

VodkaKick3
20th December 2006, 12:40
Yes Wilson is much better than Warmbold, isnt he the kid who held Duval up in New Zealand and got a servere Telling off from Malcolm Wilson.

Tomi
20th December 2006, 12:57
When I support Matt its not through blind patriotism. He isn't a brilliant driver and he wont ever be a world champion. But neither will Duval, Martin, Marku Alen etc. What annoys me is the fact that he is ripped to pieces by people when all he is doing is following his dream. Maybe he doesnt belong in the WRC but who are we to decide that? He isnt taking anyone's seat for the thousandth time.

Would we all be in agreement that if Anthony Warmbold had been given another 2 years at WRC level he would have been consistent top 8 about the level of someone like Pons? I believe Wilson is better than Warmbold he just needs time.

Well said, I think also that both Malcolm and Old Warmbold has done so many favors to the sport if they want to see their sons driving WRC, its not so big deal, but critic is offcourse ok too.

bennizw
20th December 2006, 12:59
When I support Matt its not through blind patriotism. He isn't a brilliant driver and he wont ever be a world champion. But neither will Duval, Martin, Marku Alen etc.

Well Markku Alen will never be a world champion, because he gave up rallying for at least ten years ago? His son ANTON Alen is an upcoming talent though. I won't count him out after his performances in some PWRC events.

Lousada
20th December 2006, 14:56
What annoys me is the fact that he is ripped to pieces by people when all he is doing is following his dream. Maybe he doesnt belong in the WRC but who are we to decide that? He isnt taking anyone's seat for the thousandth time.

So you can't have criticism because he doesn't take up anyone's seat?
He (or you?) should realize he is in the WRC. The WRC is still followed by lots of media and spectators all over the world. This means all these people will form an opinion about you, will look at everything you do, and talk about it endlessly, especially if you are underperforming. If that is a problem for him he should have went for a more low-profile approach, or shouldn't even bothered at all.

JAM
20th December 2006, 15:02
So you can't have criticism because he doesn't take up anyone's seat?
He (or you?) should realize he is in the WRC. The WRC is still followed by lots of media and spectators all over the world. This means all these people will form an opinion about you, will look at everything you do, and talk about it endlessly, especially if you are underperforming. If that is a problem for him he should have went for a more low-profile approach, or shouldn't even bothered at all.

Very well said.

Halvard
20th December 2006, 15:15
If 2007 becomes as "bad" as 2006, my guess is that son Wilson will step aside and not finish his fiver year plan. Either by his own will or his father`s.

So, I`ll give him 2007.

FrankenSchwinn
20th December 2006, 18:19
if you are there, right there, so close to follow your dream of becoming the best at what you do, wouldn't you want to put all the possible advantages on your side? wouldn't you want to do all the things you could so that you can -actually- get to your dream? it just seems that what successful drivers have done in the past was to gradually work their way up the ladder (most of them started in a farm) and not just stubornly get to that top bestest car and stick to it. i don't know, maybe it's because i am not rich and privileged that i think that starting at the bottom is the worthy way to achieve your dreams. but it also seems that when you are a seasoned veteran of national rally championships and lower classes of international championships you do less mistakes when you reach the top, hence you achieve your ultimate goal when you are up there.

sxis
21st December 2006, 02:33
eee wooden it be grate if we wer'e all 19 went oot on the wrc finnished 2nd or 3rd on our 1st event then won the wrc like everybody else at least that what this seems to be all about

chell
8th January 2007, 12:22
i think having Orr next to him is a huge advantage. he made great improvements in 06, and at 19 he is still learning. hopefully Orr and Wilson can grow together

Helstar
8th January 2007, 19:33
Aigner put is feet on earth and realize that WRC wasn't for his actual skills (and pocket)

I hope you are not comparing Aigner to Wilson ... Aigner won something (don't remember precisely) and RedBull gave him the M2 seat, he's not a "rich boy" (I think ?!).
And do you know which car and team he drove for ... Skoda RedBull, the worst ever maybe ^^ even experienced Rovampera couldn't do well in gravel rallies, you figure.
But Aigner did very well on Germany, at least ! Something that The Child hasn't accomplished, even with the team/car he got (good - if not top !).

JAM
9th January 2007, 10:36
If Aigner is good or not is something that we will see this year. The PWRC will be the prove. A lot of good drivers and if Aigner is so good as said, then he will fight with them. I'll wait to see.

But as you already noticed, i wouldn't put my money on him.

Helstar
9th January 2007, 22:25
If Aigner is good or not is something that we will see this year. The PWRC will be the prove. A lot of good drivers and if Aigner is so good as said, then he will fight with them. I'll wait to see.

But as you already noticed, i wouldn't put my money on him.
I'm not saying that Aigner is a top driver, it's just a "he's better than The Child" (ok it's not that difficult I know :D :D !).

But surely he can improve ... both can (Aigner more though) :p

Simmi
9th January 2007, 22:30
Yawn

JAM
10th January 2007, 02:16
Yawn

Yawn to you too

miksu
10th January 2007, 02:25
Well Markku Alen will never be a world champion, because he gave up rallying for at least ten years ago? His son ANTON Alen is an upcoming talent though. I won't count him out after his performances in some PWRC events.

Alen won the FIA Drivers Cup, which was before WC, back in -78. It was the top price for drivers before they got their own championship -79.

Tom206wrc
10th January 2007, 08:55
Now that a driver like Gardemeister is unlucky enough to have no run after Mitsu retired its Lancers, we can express our angryness against a driver without talent who will be sure to have a good car on the 16 WRC rallies... :mark:

Brother John
10th January 2007, 09:04
Ho from the forum want to drive in my new WRC TEAM en get paid?
I have more than enough money to start a 6 car wrc team.
Let me know if you ready next month to test the car!!!!!

Woodeye
10th January 2007, 09:10

Huh? Too much Jack yesterday evening? :D

Brother John
10th January 2007, 20:36
So.... Nobody wants the seat?
That means Wilson Jr. or whoever dont take up anyone's seat.

And nobody on the forum her is following his dream!!!!! :D

FrankenSchwinn
10th January 2007, 20:39
no, not only really good drivers WILL reach the top, but only EXCELLENT drivers do. the rest of the drivers that are not world championship levels should still be running national events and/or other classes except, of course, for Jean-Joseph who is SUPER EXCELLENT but because of the three car rule..... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! back on topic, no, the real good drivers are not supposed to be on top, just the excellent ones who managed to win other championships etc.

chell
11th January 2007, 07:13
good call brother john,
it seems everyone is quick to criticise and "cut down the tall poppy". give the guy a chance to grow and learn before cutting him down

Brother John
11th January 2007, 14:46
:fasttalk: :rotflmao: Too much PS2 drivers here! they can all win against Wilson Jr and........ :p :

FrankenSchwinn
11th January 2007, 17:54
what's PS2? is it swedish?

Brother John
12th January 2007, 08:44
what's PS2? is it swedish?

PlayStation2 :p : ;)

FrankenSchwinn
12th January 2007, 18:20
oh, i thought it was a rally category or something..... to get back on topic, i dont think you have the money to fix all the cars that will be sent in the wall by Daniel or I, so we didn't bother responding to your enquiry. instead, i'd rather build my own VWGti because i know that i'll crash that one less and i will learn more with it. i'll give you a call in 3-4 years though, after i have enough experience with rallying and i am looking for the next step up.

i think only the very best SHOULD be in the championship but the reality is that some, like little willy, are in it.