PDA

View Full Version : o/t gt-f3 meeting

car20
15th July 2007, 19:37
As i have a season ticket I was thinking of going to the gt/f3 meeting in september, Can anyone who has been to see them before tell me unbiased if it is worth going?
can you still go down pits and look around cars as you can with the PUT and stock cars?

As I will be taking the family they get bored watching the infield action as it is after around two laps now, But with gt and f4 cars is there more or better action than what is on the undercard now???

Speedworx
15th July 2007, 21:13
You could when the GT's were at Rockingham last year. The LNT Panoz was in a tent (like the scsa's this year) in the paddock.

You could go to the paddock during the BTCC, why would F3/GT be different?

darknessrock
15th July 2007, 21:32
This panoz??....

LessThanSte
15th July 2007, 22:08
Yeh, though i cant see the appeal with it myself (most v8's sound good, this doesnt!).

The paddock should be open. Not sure where everything will be though because i'd expect large grids of both GT's and F3's!

JDPower
15th July 2007, 22:24
Personally I've found the GT's dull as dishwater the couple of times I've seen them at Rockingham (nice cars, little action), F3's are ok. Can't remember the support races and can't find them on the web (didn't look for long though)

Henry Cutts
15th July 2007, 22:25
The F3/GT tend to have the back of the garages boarded up so you cant see in, due to the number of cars the F3 or GT will be in awnings so you will be able to see them.

JDPower
15th July 2007, 22:29
Yeh, though i cant see the appeal with it myself (most v8's sound good, this doesnt!).
The Morgan sounds great though, like a Spitfire doing a low level flypast every time it came by :up:

racing59
15th July 2007, 22:41
Semi-biassed report...

Some of the GT teams try to run F1 style pit garages, ie: they look super smart from the pitlane when the camera's look in. But from the back, it's all boarded up, you see nothing, I say NOTHING.

Some are quite friendly, and public focussed, Moore Racing are nice guys (I'd say that because they are one of my customers!)

The more "professional" they try to look (errr. F1 styleeee), the less they want people near them.

If it were me, the kettle would be on! (and I don't touch the stuff!)

Rob.

Chigley
15th July 2007, 23:31
F3/GT meeting content (http://www.brscc.co.uk/calendar/61.html)

JDPower
15th July 2007, 23:53
F3/GT meeting content (http://www.brscc.co.uk/calendar/61.html)
Is that it, six formulas over three days?!

wedge
16th July 2007, 00:17
The big teams, such as the Barwell Astons requires VIP passes, but some of the smaller teams who don't board up their garages are quite happy to have you lurking if you ask a team member nicely. They'll even allow you to take a peek at next door's garages and it's possible to stand right next to the F3 cars as they're being fired up in pitlane as they head for the grid.

The guys who run the Ford Mustang are nice fellas. They don't mind who walks in and out of their garage!

There's a near 30 car grid in F3 and plenty of strength in depth in terms of driver talent.

On the undercard there should be VWs, Ginettas and Historic GTs. They may lack kudos compared to the Clio and Cupra Cup but are just as entertaining.

Tiesse
16th July 2007, 01:28
As has already been said, we found some of the teams quite approachable & friendly & as a generalisation, the more professional looking outfits not.

We saw the begining & the end of the GT race & fitted in a refreshment break in between. As I don't really follow the series, I personally had more interest in the SCSA & PUT races. That said, it is always nice to see an alternative type of racing at the Rock.

car20
16th July 2007, 15:17
ta for that info!

gave me more of an idea, I havn't thought about the series really and didnt get to think about going last year cos I was working.

thanks anyway!

Jeff Carter
16th July 2007, 22:44
As most of you know I now look after the PR for both the Lloyds TSB Insurance British F3 International Series and the Avon Tyres British GT Championship. The Rockingham round is going to be one of the highlights of the year and will (possibly) be where the F3 title is decided but almost certainly be where the BGT title is won.

At all F3/GT events we try to make the spectators feel welcome. We have driver autograph sessions at every event. The teams and drivers are very approachable and are always willing to sign autographs and have a chat if their schedule allows. As an aside Nigel Mansell has been at every event as his sons race in the British F3 series and I think I'm safe in saying this will be his first trip back to Rockingham since he officially opened Rockingham with those Champ Car laps on the 26th May 2001.

There are plans for other activities at this event. I can't say too much at the moment until everything is confirmed but expect a few extras on that weekend.

If you check out the reports on the championship websites - http://www.britishf3international.com and http://www.britishgt.com - you'll see how exciting the racing has been at every event this year. This will be British F3's first visit since 2003 and the races in 2001 to 2003 had some great overtaking in them.

Anyway I will keep this forum updated as the event gets closer. AND I'm looking forward to coming back to Rockingham to see some old friends! ;)

Jeff

racing59
16th July 2007, 23:09
There are plans for other activities at this event. I can't say too much at the moment until everything is confirmed but expect a few extras on that weekend.

Jeff

I'm quite amenable to come along and show these GT boys how (not) to do donuts and entertain the crowd!!

As it'll be after our season closer - I'll have plenty of tyres to burn!!!

Or better still, convince Stephane that he really really needs a non-championship Mac Tools V8 Trophy race there to support the GT's.....

Rob.

Speedworx
17th July 2007, 08:26
The F3/GT is going to be a great event. Really looking forward to it.

Tiesse
17th July 2007, 09:57
I'm quite amenable to come along and show these GT boys how (not) to do donuts and entertain the crowd!!

As it'll be after our season closer - I'll have plenty of tyres to burn!!!

Rob.

I guess you won't be using this tyre?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/Tiesse68/_MG_1984.jpg

Jeff Carter
18th July 2007, 16:09
Just to let you know we stage a Fan Forum at each of the British GT rounds with our media partner Pistonheads. BAsically we have an online competition where members of the Pistonheads forum have put their name down to win a ticket to the Fan Forum with a selected team.

At Donington it was the Barwell Aston Martins; at Snetterton it was VRS Motor Finance Ferrari and at Brands it was the Moore Racing Viper ( http://www.pistonheads.com/motorsport/default.asp?storyId=16469 ). It is the winners chance to put their questions to the selected team and have a good close up look at the car.

This has gone down well so far this year and anybody can enter to win a place. I'm planning on running this with the Team Modena Lamborghini at Rockingham.

I wonder where I got the idea for a Fan Forum from?

Jeff

LessThanSte
18th July 2007, 16:36
Oooo, we like Team Modena. Might have to look into that.

On a side note, good that there appears to be a much larger turnout that last season. The GT3 race was a little dull last year, though GTC was awesome, but hopefully with some of the big teams coming, it should make the day a blast!

Dave17
18th July 2007, 17:31
Three day meeting? Where are the marshals comming from for Friday? I've used all my holiday up so that rules me out and also my son, so if the last meeting headcount on Saturday is anything to go by it just leaves Jordygirl to man (no pun intended) the bank!!!!!!

chrisn
18th July 2007, 18:54
Jeff

You paint such an exciting picture I may even be tempted to attend myself - how about an old boys (and girls) reunion??!!

For old times sake how about adding the Turn 1 Chicane - be nice to see the floppies destroyed and not care this time! :-) Or are the current crop of F3 drivers still chicken??!!

Dave17 - perhaps I should volunteer?? Might be able to send a team from here to help as long as expenses are covered and a temporary Mosque can be added to the rear of the Paddock!

I wish everybody a safe and enjoyable event!

Chris N

Sticker Rub
18th July 2007, 20:37
Three day meeting? Where are the marshals comming from for Friday? I've used all my holiday up so that rules me out and also my son, so if the last meeting headcount on Saturday is anything to go by it just leaves Jordygirl to man (no pun intended) the bank!!!!!!

She's going to be very lonely then. According to all the marshaling lists it's only a 2 day meeting. Where to put that broom... :eek:

Chigley
18th July 2007, 21:37
Fret ye not :)

If my memory serves me correctly the GT meeting last year was a "3" day meeting where the Friday was a general testing and familiarisation day covered by Rockingham's weekday marshals. I suspect it will be the same this year as the majority of the F3 drivers are Rockingham virgins. :)

Chigley
18th July 2007, 21:40
a temporary Mosque can be added to the rear of the Paddock!

Would a 3m x 3m gazebo suffice? :D

racing59
18th July 2007, 21:51
I guess you won't be using this tyre?

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/Tiesse68/_MG_1984.jpg

As you can see, this is a treaded tyre, for wet weather use.

What's that? you mean that's not tread? Blimey, I'll take that back under warranty. :D

Jordygirl
18th July 2007, 23:40
Where to put that broom... :eek:

Well I could use it to fly in from school to (wo)man the bank between lessons, during break & lunch time !!!!! :laugh:

JDPower
19th July 2007, 20:05
Or are the current crop of F3 drivers still chicken??!!
Course they are, otherwise they'd be on the oval :devil: :cheese:

(I'm joking Jeff ;) )

Chigley
19th July 2007, 20:57
Well I could use it to fly in from school to (wo)man the bank between lessons, during break & lunch time !!!!! :laugh:

Anyone know of a heavy duty model? ;)

:D

deadsquirrel
19th July 2007, 21:08
Course they are, otherwise they'd be on the oval :devil: :cheese:

(I'm joking Jeff ;) )
why? the chassis are approved to run the oval, the engines (i believe) don't need a whole lot of work to run on the banking, and the drivers may end up in series running ovals.... so get them on the oval for an annual one-off event I say :)

racing59
19th July 2007, 21:32
Have you got a big brush & shovel for them?