PDA

View Full Version : Wish list for 100th Indianapolis 500

ChicagocrewIRL
15th July 2007, 01:54
Memorial Day Weekend May 2017

1. UNIFICATION , no CCWS, no Indy Racing League... ONE North American IndyCar Championship Series .

2. NO TONY GEORGE

3. Return of the snake pit

4. Tom Carnegie's grandson (if he has any) yelling... "AND HEEEEZ ONIT !!" over the IMS public address system during qualifying.

5. $50 million purse with the winner's share at $20 million

6. Rahal, Andretti, and Unser front row.

7. Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, Chevrolet, Ford, BMW, Dodge engines

8. Turbocharged engines

9. Bumping

10. 100,000+ people at pole day

11. NO TONY GEORGE

12. John Mellencamp singing "Back Home Again in Indiana"

13. Tony Stewart, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Casey Mears, Jimmie Johnson, Robby Gordon, Jeff Gordon, Sebastien Bourdais, Paul Tracy, Juan Pablo Montoya, Sam Hornish Jr, join the regular IndyCar drivers to qualify for the field.

14. Paul Page doing play by play with Tom Sneva and Bobby Unser doing commentary.

15. Bob Jenkins as host for ABC's telecast.

16. No Coca Cola 600 on the same day.

17. No Monaco Grand Prix same day.

18. Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car

19. Sold out 3 years in advance.

20. NO TONY GEORGE

I can dream can't I ??? It's not that far off. 100 Indianapolis 500s. Incredible.

Share what YOUR wish list would be.

Jonesi
15th July 2007, 05:01
If we get 2, 11, & 20, the rest are quite possible.

RGM Fan
15th July 2007, 05:41
I agree with most of the list, but... Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Robby Gordon, Jeff Gordon, Sebastien Bourdais, Paul Tracy, Juan Pablo Montoya, Sam Hornish Jr will probably all be retired in another 10 years.

blakebeatty
15th July 2007, 06:31
This truly is a wish list :)

fan-veteran
15th July 2007, 08:33
"...and we have a new track record ...." during the qualifying session .... :)

Komahawk
15th July 2007, 09:40
- split long forgotten
- roster with drivers from around the world
- big ratings around the world
- damn fastest cars ever
- pole speed at least around 245 mph
- damn safest cars ever, too
- SAFER all around the track, as it should be on all other venues
- Indy as highlight of a ca 40 race schedule (50% oval, 50% road)
- engine competition, chassis competition, tire competition and STILL not more than half a second difference between #1 and #33

MarcoCheever
15th July 2007, 12:47
might as well add to the list sitting between to Chiasa Aonuma and Shu Qi

Seriously all the Tony George haters might as well get over it or you will have a disappointing race experience.

"If there's something you don't like change it, if you can't change it change your attitude"

DRC
15th July 2007, 14:19
Memorial Day Weekend May 2017

Share what YOUR wish list would be.

1, 2, 8, 11, 20 - YES!!!

3, 4, 7, 9, 12, - Yes!

14 - NO!

6, 13 - Interesting, I like the idea of the equivelent (?sp) of those drivers 10 years from now.

And just for emphasis...

2, 11, 20 - YES!!!

FerrrariF1
15th July 2007, 15:13
All could happen if the main problem is taken care of and that is Tony George. If Tony George was out of the picture we would have one open wheeled series and the Indy 500 would be where it was before. When you even have AJ Foyt saying in Daytona just recently during an interview that he and Mario Andretti were involved that he chose the IRL mainly because of the Indy 500 and it has never recovered just goes to show where the problem lies...it is one self centered individual named Tony George. Get rid of the cancer and the recovery would be a full 100%.

Q: You two might be the most qualified people in the world to talk about the state of open-wheel racing in this country. If you’re a race fan, you go “Dang, can’t somebody just fix that?”
ANDRETTI: No joke. It’s insane.
FOYT: I went to the U.S. Auto Club before CART was formed. We had just come back from over in England. I had a horse running in Arkansas in a stakes race and I couldn’t come to the meeting. I went to USAC and said, “I am telling you there’s going to be another association formed.”
All they wanted was one person on the board of directors. I begged them. Please. They said, “What’s going happen is going to happen.” That’s what started CART.
It’d be like way back if NASCAR split in two, it kills both sides. I doesn’t help anybody.
Who’s going to survive? The reason I went with IRL more than anything was because of the Indianapolis 500. It has never recovered.

Komahawk
15th July 2007, 20:19
Another anti-TG thread I guess.

call_me_andrew
15th July 2007, 21:52
Snake pit?

ChicagocrewIRL
16th July 2007, 07:24
CORRECTION

Memorial Day Weekend May 2016 - - 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500

not 2017....

this is not a TG hater thread. I don't hate the guy. I don't agree how he has run things. I can disagree without hating. What a concept huh ???

ChicagocrewIRL
16th July 2007, 07:28
The Snake Pit was what the infield fan area was called before they added the Formula 1 course and the nice tidy golf course. Was mostly dirt and patches of grass and was the Memorial Day equivalent of Mardi Gras and Sodom and Gahmora all wrapped up into one. No one in the Snake Pit actually watched the race. It was a party .

Jonesi
16th July 2007, 07:59
The Snake Pit was what the infield fan area was called before they added the Formula 1 course and the nice tidy golf course. Was mostly dirt and patches of grass and was the Memorial Day equivalent of Mardi Gras and Sodom and Gahmora all wrapped up into one. No one in the Snake Pit actually watched the race. It was a party .

A lot like the bog at Watkins Glen or the top of the hill at Laguna Seca.

MarcoCheever
16th July 2007, 13:46
The Snake Pit was gone long before F 1 arrived at the speedway.

The Snake Pit inside turn 1 was a location for drugs, free love and debaucery not for race fans.

I've read aweful stories from young ladies about the snake pit

The inside turn 3 now is where a lot of crude stuff takes place no a place for the timid

clicky >> http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/500party.html

call_me_andrew
16th July 2007, 21:16
And we want that back why?

16th July 2007, 21:38
And we want that back why?

Well, this might be a wild stab in the dark, but I would guess for drugs, free love and debauchery.

They are a proven popular mixture.

LTalbot
16th July 2007, 22:01
- split long forgotten
- roster with drivers from around the world
- big ratings around the world
- damn fastest cars ever
- pole speed at least around 245 mph
- damn safest cars ever, too
- SAFER all around the track, as it should be on all other venues
- Indy as highlight of a ca 40 race schedule (50% oval, 50% road)
- engine competition, chassis competition, tire competition and STILL not more than half a second difference between #1 and #33

Now there is a dream I could get behind.

Mark in Oshawa
20th July 2007, 04:59
Intresting thread, and I am surprised that on this board, some of the people have said things I didn't expect.

OK, for a Hundreth Running of the 500

No TG (not likely gonna happen) unless he realizes what he has done by gaining control, he has lost the empire. I have no problem with him owning the speedway, just let smarter people run the series.

I want 60 entries, led by a 3 car Penske team.

I want a vareity of engine options ( if only for this one race ).

I want chassis from Lola, Panoz, Dallara and whomever else.

I want full stands and scalpers making life difficult for late comers for all the track's events in May.

I would love to see BIG ratings, and The France Family knashing their teeth, knowing that OW is back...

And most of all I would love to see an almost 50 year old Paul Tracy running out front ahead of James Hincliffe and Robert Wilkens as there is a Canadian 1-2-3 finish!!

Oh yes, for TV....three people we are not even hearing on TV now in the booth. New faces that don't annoy me would be nice....

Placid
2nd August 2007, 04:25
Bring back F1 after the Indy 500.

SmokeFan20
6th August 2007, 19:41
If Tony George is out of the picture, it will be because Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be owned by International Speedway Corporation or Speedway Motorsports Incorporated.

NoFender
7th August 2007, 17:40
I wish for 70 degree temps and no rain. Is that too much to ask??

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 04:59
If Tony George is out of the picture, it will be because Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be owned by International Speedway Corporation or Speedway Motorsports Incorporated.

I believe that will happen when hell freezes over......

fan-veteran
10th August 2007, 10:05
So ..., how much IMS costs? I wish i could buy it :)

Quetch
10th August 2007, 12:30
How old is Paul Page?

ChrisS
10th August 2007, 17:03

8. Turbocharged engines

By 2015 cars will be using Mr Fusion engines and household waste as fuel.

They will also have some sort of hovering device instead of wheels that will enable them to fly

:p

ChicagocrewIRL
11th August 2007, 21:04
By 2015 cars will be using Mr Fusion engines and household waste as fuel.

They will also have some sort of hovering device instead of wheels that will enable them to fly

:p

HAHAHA ok Marty McFly

I'm just hoping the 100th Running of The 500 Mile Race isn't in Nextel Cup Cars. WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!!

call_me_andrew
12th August 2007, 03:22
Would this car be better?

http://www.freewebs.com/rebelmotors/MODMIKEP.jpg

BrentJackson
23rd August 2007, 20:35
1. UNIFICATION , no CCWS, no Indy Racing League... ONE North American IndyCar Championship Series .

Likely.

2. NO TONY GEORGE

Possible I suppose, but not terribly likely.

3. Return of the snake pit

Forget it, at least forget the wild old snake pit. Too much crazy stuff going on in there back in the day.

4. Tom Carnegie's grandson (if he has any) yelling... "AND HEEEEZ ONIT !!" over the IMS public address system during qualifying.

Would be neat, but......

5. $50 million purse with the winner's share at $20 million

That would get 'em to the track, wouldn't it? :D

6. Rahal, Andretti, and Unser front row.

Just Al really isn't as talented as his dad, but its possible I suppose - the others stand pretty good chances, both of them will be veterans by then.

Dodge may not even be here in 2017, but the rest are possible - likely, probably not.

8. Turbocharged engines

Quite possible. Much hoped for in my case. :D

9. Bumping

With a $50 million prize pot this one is a certainty.

10. 100,000+ people at pole day

Possible, but not likely......

12. John Mellencamp singing "Back Home Again in Indiana"

Now that would be neat. :)

13. Tony Stewart, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso, Casey Mears, Jimmie Johnson, Robby Gordon, Jeff Gordon, Sebastien Bourdais, Paul Tracy, Juan Pablo Montoya, Sam Hornish Jr, join the regular IndyCar drivers to qualify for the field.

Get that $50 million together and make sure NASCAR and F1 have the weekend off (or make it possible to do the double) and at least some of them will undoubtedly be there.

14. Paul Page doing play by play with Tom Sneva and Bobby Unser doing commentary.

Page, sure. Unser and Sneva? Nah. Page, Bob Varsha, Tommy Kendall and Robin miller in the booth. Now we're talking. :cool:

15. Bob Jenkins as host for ABC's telecast.

Would work, if he hasn't retired.

16. No Coca Cola 600 on the same day.

Would be good.

17. No Monaco Grand Prix same day.

See above.

18. Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car

Pretty likely.

19. Sold out 3 years in advance.

A year in advance would be good. I don't want to have to pay a load for each nosebleed ticket.