PDA

View Full Version : F1 has improved my vocabulary

keysersoze
13th July 2007, 15:23
All my life I've been ridiculed for being (overly) fascinated with everything F1. But I have to say, I've got a few more words in my repertoire thanks to the sport. Here's a few:

While reading Road and Track, Innes Ireland and Rob Walker used to say that an ill-handling car was "recalcitrant."

They also called a driver who inspired respect as "redoubtable."

Bob Varsha would describe an evil-handling car as "diabolical."

Reading these threads, I've often heard childish drivers throwing things out of their "pram." We don't use that word here in the U.S.

Did F1 teach you any new words or phrases?

Kevincal
13th July 2007, 16:09
Well, I greatly enjoy watching the Speed F1 coverage. That team just flows so nicely and all of them are very intelligent. They also use a lot of "big words" :D .

ottostreet
13th July 2007, 16:43
a contretemps (a battle)

SGWilko
13th July 2007, 17:10
Loti?

I seem to recall a piece of commentary by James Hunt, talking about the two 'Lotuses' he corrected himself and suggested that perhaps they should be the two Loti.

Extrapolate - Ronspeak

Breeze
13th July 2007, 20:15
[quote="keysersoze"]All my life I've been ridiculed for being (overly) fascinated with everything F1. But I have to say, I've got a few more words in my repertoire thanks to the sport. .....quote]
How about this one: LEXICON ;)

msaxman
14th July 2007, 05:46
Well, I greatly enjoy watching the Speed F1 coverage. That team just flows so nicely and all of them are very intelligent. They also use a lot of "big words" :D .

in the famous words of david hobbs,

KAAAAAAAAAABLAAAMOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Kevincal
14th July 2007, 18:20
Haha, exactly. ;)

ShiftingGears
15th July 2007, 03:10
Hollyhocks!

Valve Bounce
15th July 2007, 03:55
All my life I've been ridiculed for being (overly) fascinated with everything F1. But I have to say, I've got a few more words in my repertoire thanks to the sport. Here's a few:

While reading Road and Track, Innes Ireland and Rob Walker used to say that an ill-handling car was "recalcitrant."

They also called a driver who inspired respect as "redoubtable."

Bob Varsha would describe an evil-handling car as "diabolical."

Reading these threads, I've often heard childish drivers throwing things out of their "pram." We don't use that word here in the U.S.

Some years ago, I went ski-ing at Vail, and the ski instructor didn't know the meaning of the word fortnight. Then when I asked the guy at the lodge if he had any eggcups, he didn't know what I wanted. Then I asked if he had a tea pot, and he didn't know that one either. So I hope I have somehow also added to you vocab.

I also invented a rude french phrase which my french teacher said was excellent.

Rollo
15th July 2007, 15:16

The word "pram" itself is a shortened version of the word "perambulator".

Just to drag this thread full circle, in the UK there's a brand of pushchairs, strollers and baby carriers called... Maclaren :eek:

http://www.maclarenbaby.com

Valve Bounce
16th July 2007, 00:39
Just to drag this thread full circle, in the UK there's a brand of pushchairs, strollers and baby carriers called... Maclaren :eek:

http://www.maclarenbaby.com

With a design very similar to Ferrari's ? :p :

call_me_andrew
16th July 2007, 01:07
I did add "clag" to my vocabulary thanks to David Hobbs. And at the 24 Hours of Daytona I learned "senior clag".

wmcot
17th July 2007, 08:13
With a design very similar to Ferrari's ? :p :

Does a pram require a 780 page manual? If so, that's one complicated pram!!! :)

Valve Bounce
17th July 2007, 10:00

They probably had plans for a Zimmer frame as well.

SGWilko
17th July 2007, 10:21

Vickie (yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but....) Pollards pram probably does..... :D

Easy Drifter
17th July 2007, 17:40
The late Gilles Villeneuve expanded my French vocabulary considerabley. I don't think my French teacher knew some of those words.

Valve Bounce
17th July 2007, 23:46
Then there's Jame's Allen's Xylophone effect.

Racehound
18th July 2007, 12:11
Loti?

I seem to recall a piece of commentary by James Hunt, talking about the two 'Lotuses' he corrected himself and suggested that perhaps they should be the two Loti.

Extrapolate - Ronspeak
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha,,,,,James and the "Loti"!!!!!.....ahhhh, i remember it well.......the intellectual playboy that was our beloved James!!!!! :) .....wish you were here JH.........as for Ron, whatever language or big words he uses he is gaining a reputation for pi**ing off the fia(sco) every time he opens his hole!!!!!......i think he was trying to say "exterminate", but it came out wRONg....!!!!!!!!!!!!