PDA

View Full Version : Donington Park thread (All news/results/missing cars in here)

Northern Monkey
13th July 2007, 12:13
Might as well start this - looks like we are down three for Donington, no Leason or Pocklington (I believe) and Kerry unlikely due to a diff problem.

real_illusions
13th July 2007, 12:57
the weather looks to be sh*te as well...

rain forcast for sunday..

VkmSpouge
13th July 2007, 13:52
Nick Leason has put his drive with BTC Racing on hold until reliability problems can be sorted.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~10~id~151100.htm

Doesn't say when he hopes to return by but I hope it is by the end of the year, he really hasn't had much luck at all.

VkmSpouge
13th July 2007, 13:56
Might as well start this - looks like we are down three for Donington, no Leason or Pocklington (I believe) and Kerry unlikely due to a diff problem.

Where have you heard about Pocklington? There hasn't been any news about him pulling out.
Shame about Rick Kerry, bad bit of luck with the diff problem.

Northern Monkey
13th July 2007, 14:46
Far as I know, Jim is missing this weekend as they attempt to solve the various issues encountered at Oulton.

AndySpeed
13th July 2007, 18:12
the weather looks to be sh*te as well...

rain forcast for sunday..

So I take it bringing along my disposable barbeques won't be a particularly good idea... :(

LiamM
13th July 2007, 18:32
The weather is cr*p!

Today we was forecast 'light showers and sunny spells' AND the car park at work flooded. Wellies are the order of the day for the weekend I think!

Captain VXR
13th July 2007, 19:15
daymnnnnn

VXRDartford
13th July 2007, 20:36
Looks like Rick Kerry will be out for the Donnington Races due to Diff problem

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~10~id~151107.htm

Lets hope he is back soon

Brooklands78
14th July 2007, 13:19
Plato slower than the Toledo's in free practice 2 as well! And Matt Jackson faster than the RAC BMW's. Civics out in front again and another good showing from Mike Jordan - possibly a dark horse for a race win tomorrow??

Steelrat
14th July 2007, 13:29
..... and another good showing from Mike Jordan - possibly a dark horse for a race win tomorrow??

Oh, I really hope so ...

P

Steelrat
14th July 2007, 13:31
And it's good to see only .281 separates Fiona and Jason Hughes ...

P

Rusty
14th July 2007, 13:37
Watching Plato's times he just did a 1.13.592 and it hasn't counted as a flying lap anybody shed any light on why.....????

and now a 1.13.232????????????????????

LiamM
14th July 2007, 14:05
Scoring lap out of the pits?

nicemms
14th July 2007, 15:53
I really want Jordan to do well. He is such a nice guy!

BTCC2
14th July 2007, 16:37
1 Shedden 1.13.486
2 Turner +0.068
3 Neal +0.142
4 Jackson +0.156
5 Jordan +0.165
6 Turkington +0.321
7 Jones +0.429
8 Allison +0.529
9 Plato +0.604
10 Onslow-Cole +0.630
11 Ferrier +0.767
12 Kizilirmak +0.999
13 Blanckley +1.074
14 Murray +1.206
15 Giovanardi +1.321
16 Pinkney +1.375
17 Hughes +1.384
18 Marsh +1.633
19 Stockton +1.857
20 Bell +2.180
21 George +2.404
22 Leggate +2.732
23 Chilton DSQ

The times are so coles together and well done to Kizilirmak and Blanckley for being right on the pace!!!

Brooklands78
14th July 2007, 16:40
Well, at least Darren Turner can get something out of the Leon! Looks like being an exciting first visit to Redgate tomorrow! With both Plato and Giovanardi well down the order, maybe the success ballast is having a real effect. Nice to see Erkut in 12th place - maybe a point at last for all his efforts tomorrow!

Iain
14th July 2007, 16:43
Giovanardi had engine problems.

Steelrat
14th July 2007, 16:43
But what happened with Chilton?

P

LiamM
14th July 2007, 16:45
Failed on the weightbridge

nicemms
14th July 2007, 16:49
The civics certainly are quick today! Neal will be hoping for a clean start so he can finish way ahead of plato and gain more points to close up on him.

VkmSpouge
14th July 2007, 17:45
Gordon Shedden has really been doing well of late. Mike Jordan and Mat Jackson are right on the pace. Adam Jones doing his usual quality job and Matt Allison is right up there too. Also Erkut Kizilirmak probably had his best BTCC qualifying yet with a superb 12th place and being less than a second from pole. Maybe he can pick up his first points tomorrow?

AndySpeed
14th July 2007, 21:44
Looks like the Vauxhalls and giovanardi especially will be trying to gradually make their way through the order in the first two races to possibly challenge for a race three win. As Plato will probably have similar ideas it could make for some exciting battles both at the front and in the middle :D

Grrr 5am wake up tomorrow :(

Allyc85
15th July 2007, 01:38
itl be worth it :D

reidy_fan
15th July 2007, 09:50
looks like a very wet start to the day at Donny, MST timing reports scc race held up and track is wet with heavy rain. old hairpin will be interesting

Ian McC
15th July 2007, 10:19
Due to start in 5 mins, wonder if there will be first lap carnage! :eek:

Ian McC
15th July 2007, 10:58
Well looks like it was quite a race! No real carnage either :)

Northern Monkey
15th July 2007, 11:52
Good win for Sheds, great drives from Jones and Neal. Racing now suspended due to conditions - FRenault, FBMW and Clios all been put back and next race now due to be BTCC at 12.45.

MattL
15th July 2007, 11:52
Rain is coming down hard now.

Formula Renault was abandoned, Formula BMW was postponed and Clios scheduled to start at 11.45.

However, now this idea has been canned and the next race will be the second BTCC race, at 12.45.

Ian McC
15th July 2007, 12:36
Good win for Sheds, great drives from Jones and Neal.

Could a good one to watch on TV, will be interested to see how Neal slipped from 3rd to 16th and then back up to 3rd again!

Ian McC
15th July 2007, 12:37
Rain is coming down hard now.

Formula Renault was abandoned, Formula BMW was postponed and Clios scheduled to start at 11.45.

However, now this idea has been canned and the next race will be the second BTCC race, at 12.45.

Thanks Matt, hope you are not getting too wet there :p :

Alfa Fan
15th July 2007, 12:42
BTCC race 2 will be starting in about 10 minutes

Northern Monkey
15th July 2007, 13:32
Could a good one to watch on TV, will be interested to see how Neal slipped from 3rd to 16th and then back up to 3rd again!

He pitted with a puncture which was why he went backwards

ATF
15th July 2007, 15:00
What happened to Turner in race 1, ITV never said?!

Race 3 just about to start, come on Gio!!

VkmSpouge
15th July 2007, 15:47
Chilton appeared to be all over the place in race 1. At least he recovered well in race 3 to pick up a few points.
Second place for Adam Jones in race 1 was a fabulous result. Matt Allison also had a good weekend with points finishes in all three races.
The BMWs seemed to struggle in the conditions though Mat Jackson seemed better suited to it than the RAC pair.

SEATFreak
15th July 2007, 15:47
Very pleased about the Race 3 results. Sad to see Darren slip down from about 3rd where he could have taken 10pts to about 9th behind Tom Chilton in so doing taking only 2pts but two straight wins for Jase with points for leading and the fastest lap is simply just what I as a fan of the team, and of course the team probably also more importantly, needed.

At this point in the season taking the lead in the standings over unquestionably the best driver, with the best setup in the best car this season (In the dry anyway) with the gap Jase has may be on the timely side. Four meetings and 12 races to go.

Had that little blip when, according to Tim Harvey, Jase' experienced a gear problem that allowed John George to retake but it was just a blip in a race that I felt Jase commanded in difficult conditions. Well done Jase' and well done SEAT.

tdb
15th July 2007, 18:02
Had that little blip when, according to Tim Harvey, Jase' experienced a gear problem that allowed John George to retake but it was just a blip in a race that I felt Jase commanded in difficult conditions. Well done Jase' and well done SEAT.

Not a blip. he allowed Mike Jordan (not john george) to retake the place he gained under yellow flags and then repassed him.

LiamM
15th July 2007, 19:02
There was some good racing for the hardcore fans who stood out in torrential rain today! We was lucky really that it stayed dry for so long over the lunch break so we could racing in the afternoon. The car park was empty tho!

BTCC2
15th July 2007, 19:55
Loads of people got fed up of the rain and left.

LiamM
15th July 2007, 20:04
Too true, we was getting bored, after the downpour in between the second and third race where they stopped the racing. Was also going to stop for the Clios also, but we decided we was too wet and left then

nicemms
15th July 2007, 20:34
We left at end of clio race.

Still enjoyed racing, especially Plato getting past Jordan then Jordan getting the place back and then loosing it again. Great racing!

Iain
15th July 2007, 20:47
In a way I'm sad I wasn't there, but in another way, I'm glad I wasn't. :p :

Allyc85
15th July 2007, 20:54
Great racing today. Very hard, but fair racing through the field n they did well considering the conditions.

suzy m
15th July 2007, 21:15
In a way I'm sad I wasn't there, but in another way, I'm glad I wasn't.

You had the best option. Personalized commentary of what was happening without getting wet! :p :

murrayfan
15th July 2007, 21:26
[quote="LiamM"]Too true, we was getting bored, after the downpour in between the second and third race where they stopped the racing. Was also going to stop for the Clios also, but we decided we was too wet and left then[/quote
we left after the first race cos of the rain didnt really fancy swimming home
and still got back in time to see the 3rd race live on tv :)

Pedalpusher
15th July 2007, 21:52
Well what a great weekend for Plato. 2 great drives in awful conditions and taking the lead in the drivers championship. I bet he'll look back on this weekend as the turning point, if he goes on to win. But as he said in an interview after race 2, there's still a long way to go.

I had thought the rear wheel drive BMWs would have done quite well, but after Mat Jacksons great start in race 1 he seemed to fade, and the WSR boys also struggled.

I also take my hat off to those of you who were stuck out in that rain all day.
I was watching on the box, in the dry :p :

AndySpeed
15th July 2007, 21:54
I'm still wet from the day's racing, but at least there was some good racing! Appeared to be a lot of standing water just before the old hairpin and on the flat out bit after it- was amusing to see even the safety car spin!

wedge
15th July 2007, 22:10
I was about to leave after it was chucking it down in the afternoon but ended up chatting to a bunch of Holden Monaro and Commodore owners (Aussie V8s rule!).

Noticed the skies were clearing up a bit and gambled at staying for the final BTCC race! I'm glad I did!

Worth noting that the RAC guys set the rear wing for max downforce whereas Matt Jackson's was more acute.

MattL
15th July 2007, 22:22
In a way I'm sad I wasn't there, but in another way, I'm glad I wasn't. :p :

Have you bought new trainers recently?...

Les
15th July 2007, 22:23
enjoyed it rain and all.... especially Adam Jones' 2nd place - couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

paygyn
15th July 2007, 22:53
this was my first BTCC viewing from a track instead of on TV and wows what an atmosphere, missed the first race but stayed until the final race of the day inspite of the torrential downpour mid-afternoon, got absolutely soaked while walking around the pit area which was like a river!! but hey it all adds to the experience ( at least thats what my mate told me). Spoke to some kewl peeps real friendly folk including a kewl pair of gals from up north. A totally awesome experience, one i hope to continue through out the rest of the season!

Iain
15th July 2007, 22:58

I was 300 miles away Matt, can't blame me this time.......

MBailey06
16th July 2007, 07:32

Crap, that was me!! I left them outside to dry while I got changed out of wet clothes, and accidently left by the side. I only realised when I got home. I take it no one picked them up? If not, I'll get some new ones.

Delenn
16th July 2007, 20:22
Titch, Alan and Matt were brilliant all weekend. From the "Engine cover" faux pas all the way to the end, they kept us going through the rain. |By the time you got to the midday shower, it was impossible to get any wetter.

Have to say I am impressed they got through the programme eventually, the racing was great, and the plastic ducks the marshalls floated between Starkey's and the Old Hairpin were funny too.

SEATFreak
17th July 2007, 08:37
Well what a great weekend for Plato. 2 great drives in awful conditions and taking the lead in the drivers championship. I bet he'll look back on this weekend as the turning point, if he goes on to win. But as he said in an interview after race 2, there's still a long way to go.

This is a purely personal feeling since I am a fan of his but if Jase is to take the lead in the Championship I would like to see him do it now, rather than earlier on, when available points begin to get limited.

I like to feel as a purely personal feeling also that if Jase can pick up enough points in two of the remaining four meetings then it could become hard for Giovanardi, as good as he his with his setup, to feel emotionally he can overhaul that lead. I am sure he will fight all the way and has the car and setup to do it. But again it is after all only purely personal feeling I would like to think happens.

Dave B
17th July 2007, 08:51
This is a purely personal feeling since I am a fan of his but if Jase is to take the lead in the Championship I would like to see him do it now, rather than earlier on, when available points begin to get limited.
You are Karl Pilkington and I claim my five pounds.

SEATFreak
17th July 2007, 09:23
You are Karl Pilkington and I claim my five pounds.

Conclusive proof of your total insantity! :crazy: :disturb:

You could have a dig at yourself! :rotflmao:

I haven't got the foggiest who this Karl geezer is, all I know is I ain't him, and you are not having £5! :laugh:

Go on....what's wrong NOW with my post?! :uhoh: One wonders if you will ever be happy with anything I put.

PDS
17th July 2007, 16:00
Can I just say that I was impressed with Mr Kizilrmak at Donington....

I don't know if people noticed, he quailfied in 12th place and finished the races in strong places... Well done Erkut!

Les
17th July 2007, 22:49
Can I just say that I was impressed with Mr Kizilrmak at Donington....

I don't know if people noticed, he quailfied in 12th place and finished the races in strong places... Well done Erkut!

I noticed - for someone who never sees the rain at his home circuit he coped rather well with the dodgy conditions.

Winchester
17th July 2007, 22:55
I reckon Erkut is the most improved driver on the grid by a mile.

Alfa Fan
17th July 2007, 23:04
In what's a very competitive grid this year, he's doing a great job. P12 on the grid was an impressive effort.

VkmSpouge
18th July 2007, 01:05
Kizilirmak has certainly improved steadily throughout the year, Donington was his best showing to date, I hope he can pick up some points before the end of the season.

SEATFreak
18th July 2007, 12:39
Kizilirmak has certainly improved steadily throughout the year, Donington was his best showing to date.

I have his results over the season and I would say it was more consistent as I explain below.

Though I agree in a way. He has achieved better positions in previous races. But not without getting a DNF in one or more of the other race in that meeting. Though he has only completed the full three races three times by far the best of them was at Donny.

I hope he can pick up some points before the end of the season.

He will Vkm. I explained above he was more consistent. He always seems to finish in the 4-5 places outside of the points scoring positions:

Brands Hatch: 14th, 12th & 15th
Rockingham: 16th, DNS & 11th
Thruxton: 17th, 13th & 14th
Oulton Park: 14th, DNF & 11th

But I like to think of it as more "consistently challenging for the lower points scoring positions". Sooner rather than later it will happen.