PDA

View Full Version : Help Stanty get back on track..............

The White Lady
11th July 2007, 19:21
Hi everyone, hope our generous donors don't mind, but we thought we'd have a 'garage sale' in aid of getting Stanty back out there for the Anniversary weekend. Please bid generously - you know it won't be the same without John, Keith, Mike and Pete (and Tambow and Pit Kid too) and Cheerios Bars for breakfast......

Items are:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/GillianCreaser/DSC01215.jpg

Abo's generously proportioned Team shirt from the #9 pick up signed by your very own 'Pistol' Pete Wilkinson.

We have two of these great Cheerios Legends clocks.

We also have two of these Cheerio's t shirts, both medium size, go on, be bold, show your support or it may be 'cheerio' to them for good :bigcry:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/GillianCreaser/DSC00481.jpg

Now these are historic items - Richard Novell's #23 pick up truck key rings (we have two of these, too), as the observant amongst you willknow he is now racing truck #24!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/GillianCreaser/DSC00618.jpg

Yep, they're still here, Duane's Irwin trousers - perfect for working on the pick up and keeping those jeans for best...

Items will run until Wednesday 18th July, 9.00pm by the forum clock, but get those bids in nice and early so Stanty knows how his fighting fund is coming along.

Best regards to all.

Tiesse
11th July 2007, 20:00
I'll start with £20 for the clocks.

PS the picture links aren't linking to the relative pictures.

The White Lady
11th July 2007, 20:44
Thanks Tiesse - £20 is for the two clocks, not each I'm guessing?

Try these links (sorry about the others - people familiar with my posts willknow that this is nothing new...Ah me)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/GillianCreaser/Auction1/c5ef8101.jpg
Cheerios t shirt

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/GillianCreaser/DSC00701.jpg
clocks

Hopefully the others are OK. :)

Tiesse
11th July 2007, 23:06
Yes, the £20 was for both clocks (BTW, I've been meaning to ask, is that the Cypriot flag in your avatar?)

Speedworx
11th July 2007, 23:58
£40 for the Irwin trousers.

Stanty is a great guy, can't have him missing from the next meeting.

R3ROK
12th July 2007, 09:50
I'll start the #9 shirt off at £20.....even if I'm too big to get in it...lol

PapaJuliet
12th July 2007, 18:56
deadsquirrel has promised not to bid on any items to reduce the chances of a THIRD meeting with the safety team... :eek:

PJ

deadsquirrel
13th July 2007, 10:40
deadsquirrel has promised not to bid on any items to reduce the chances of a THIRD meeting with the safety team... :eek:

PJ

That I have :-(

are-jay-enn
13th July 2007, 11:35
£25 for the clocks.

Also I'll add a signed copy of my 'Backtrack' 1970s stock car/hot rod book (http://www.ovaltrack.co.uk) to the auction to help Stanty get out there. I'll also get it signed by Grumpy Howard, Pete Stevens and Dave Willis (who are all featured in the book amongst many others).

deadsquirrel
13th July 2007, 12:13
£25 for the clocks.

Also I'll add a signed copy of my 'Backtrack' 1970s stock car/hot rod book (http://www.ovaltrack.co.uk) to the auction to help Stanty get out there. I'll also get it signed by Grumpy Howard, Pete Stevens and Dave Willis (who are all featured in the book amongst many others).

I should be safe with a book - £20 bid. :)
PS Assume the author will also sign it!

are-jay-enn
13th July 2007, 20:03
I should be safe with a book - £20 bid. :)
PS Assume the author will also sign it!

Happy to sign it although that will probably de-value it. If the bids go over £50 I'll throw in a copy of each of my other two books as well (Hot Rods & Superstox/Stock Cars)

The White Lady
13th July 2007, 23:12
[quote="Tiesse"]

It most certainly is, but we are only borrowing it cos we like going there for holidays and PitKid has had more birthdays there than he has in England. Silly really, but it made you look :)

Saw a car like your wife's fiesta in the Doctors surgery the other day!

Tiesse
14th July 2007, 07:09
It most certainly is, but we are only borrowing it cos we like going there for holidays and PitKid has had more birthdays there than he has in England. Silly really, but it made you look :)

Saw a car like your wife's fiesta in the Doctors surgery the other day!

If that was Gold Street that is because she is the assistant practice manager there.

Abo
14th July 2007, 21:16
I'll start the #9 shirt off at £20.....even if I'm too big to get in it...lol

It's a 3XL! I'm not the smallest guy in the paddock lol

The White Lady
14th July 2007, 22:14
Dear All,

Since starting this thread we have had a couple of email exchanges with Stanty about your bids.

In the interests of fairness I must let you know that he isn't at all happy about accepting money raised here while there are many more deserving causes in the world and he wishes us to give any money made here to a worthwhile charity.
Naturally I understand that bids made were with the intention of getting John back out there, so there is no obligation for you to go ahead with your intended purchase now that that is not the case. If you do wish to proceed with your purchase then money raised will go to charity, not sure which one yet but we'll try and figure that out in the next day or so.Feel free to let me know what you would like to do via a PM.

Likewise are-jay-enn, thank you so much for offering up your book - are you still happy for it to be sold on here for charity?

Apologies to you all for backtracking - I really should have checked with Stanty before I started the thread, but you know how it is when inspiration strikes.....

Sorry to mess you around,
Best regards
The White Lady (creeping away sheepishly.....)

R3ROK
15th July 2007, 11:56
Whitelady; you do an excellent job trying to drum up interest on the forum especially the time you take raising money by different means. Don't worry about what John says, I would probably say the same if someone was raising money for me. I suppose he could be a bit embarrased about it.

I suppose he's right in a way about there are more deserving charities but your intentions were purely in the interest of getting him back on the track and that's fantastic. IMO getting someone racing again is a good enough reason to try and help out. My bid still stands wherever the money goes so don't give up and keep up the good work.

ABO; hmm, 3XL.....may have to put it on a hot wash or wear it over my coat...assuming I win it that is ;)

are-jay-enn
15th July 2007, 12:10
Likewise are-jay-enn, thank you so much for offering up your book - are you still happy for it to be sold on here for charity?

Absolutely. No problem. Whatever the cause I am very happy to support it.

I think the support and effort shown by the forum members is worth far more than money can buy. It's also one of the reasons I've come out of 'forum retirement'.

Here's hoping we have Cheerios 'Smiles All Round' at the Rock next week with another superb weekend's racing - SCSA (hopefully three races), Pickups, Ferrari Challenge, Jedi, Monoposto and Caterhams. Looking forward to it.

stanty
15th July 2007, 17:58
Guys,
I thought I better come out from hiding behind my PC and watching this thread unfold. I just can’t find the words to describe how overwhelmed I am that you guys are doing this to get us back on track.

We spend as much time as possible chatting to you guys over a race weekend and you are all really nice people, you have made us so welcome, and like ourselves see motor racing as a religion.

I really don’t want to sound ungrateful, but it is so hard to accept any financial support from you guys, there are racers within the paddock who run trucks on a much smaller budget than we do, ok a few sticker rubs along the wall haven’t helped, but hey that is motor racing!

I hope you guys understand where I am coming from, whilst there are children starving in the world and people living on our city streets, then there is no way I can accept support for a mere hobby!

To The White Lady..

Gillian,
I really can’t find the appropriate words to thank you enough for your help and support, please don’t think that I am in any way ungrateful, I am totally overwhelmed by your kind and thoughtful support.
So sorry if I have caused you any hassle at all, I just find it hard to take money for motor racing from kind considerate likeminded race fans, it just isn’t in my nature, whilst there are far more deserving causes in the world.
If you want to choose a charity, we will obviously give our full support and may even take Rob Crompton’s leg waxing to another dimension!
Both you and Lawrence have been great friends to us, thank you.

Stanty

Tiesse
15th July 2007, 18:22
How about carrying on selling the items & splitting the proceeds between the Mac Trophy V8 car charities?

Another suggestion would be a children's hospice, maybe going on to give the kids a day out at the Rock to present them with any money that is raised?

I would be happy personally to buy some of John's Cheerios merchandise & donate it to the auction - that way the Cheerios guys get a bit more help & the items shall be put to a good cause (get out of that one Stanty!).

Speedworx
15th July 2007, 19:41
I'll up the bid to £25 for the shirt.

The White Lady
15th July 2007, 21:55
:imu: Baaaa Looks reasonable safe to put my nose out of the long grass ..
Thanks you for your tolerance and support guys.
With regard to a destination for the money from this auction I have some suggestions.

The hospice idea is one I could certainly run with, as our church supports Helen and Douglas House (you may have seen some documentaries earlier this year). The work that Sister Frances does here is truly amazing, visit their website at. http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/ Some folks from the motorsport world are already fairly involved in fundraising for them, notably Jeremy Clarkson. Working on Tiesse's idea of getting kids to the Rock to accept the cheque I'll have a word with Dominic at BRSCC and see what the situation would be re tickets.

Another alternative is that since this thread has taken on a life of it's own perhaps we could give it a real one and buy a cow or a goat for a family in Africa?

I did think about the Air Ambulance, but then for the same reason that Deadsquirrel won't buy any of Stanty' stuff on the other thread I'd hate to think of Stanty changing his mind and trying to get his money's worth from that one ....??....!!...?

Any other thoughts/suggestions welcome, and keep those bids coming.

Thanks again.

JDPower
15th July 2007, 22:49
The hospice idea is one I could certainly run with, as our church supports Helen and Douglas House (you may have seen some documentaries earlier this year). The work that Sister Frances does here is truly amazing, visit their website at. http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/ Some folks from the motorsport world are already fairly involved in fundraising for them, notably Jeremy Clarkson.
No offence, its a great charity, (and please people don't take this the wrong way) but I'd rather see it go to a charity that really needs the relatively small sum here than one that has celeb supporters and is surviving well already.
I was trying to think of good causes local to Rockingham, only one that comes to mind at present is the Lakelands Hospice (http://www.yourlakelands.org.uk/) in Corby.

Though personally I think, as the money was meant for Stanty, perhaps it would be best if he could nominate the charity it went to.

deadsquirrel
16th July 2007, 10:48
I already have a 'portfolio' of charities I donate to, so with John's decision, and that my reason for bidding was to help get John out on track, I would wish to withdraw my offer at this time.

I hope we can see the #18 out again this season. I hope if there is anything that we CAN do to help, we are asked - unpaid labour etc...

Abo
16th July 2007, 12:02
No offence, its a great charity, (and please people don't take this the wrong way) but I'd rather see it go to a charity that really needs the relatively small sum here than one that has celeb supporters and is surviving well already.
I was trying to think of good causes local to Rockingham, only one that comes to mind at present is the Lakelands Hospice (http://www.yourlakelands.org.uk/) in Corby.

Agreed.

The White Lady
21st July 2007, 20:11
:bounce: :bounce:

Had the pleasure of chatting to Stanty and the team at Rockingham this afternoon, and delighted to report the truck is there, in one piece and ready to roll!! :cheese:

Hot topic of conversation was how overwhelmed he is by the amount of support out there.

As a result of our conversations I would suggest that a good destination for the £90 raised would be Cancer Research.

Pit Kid will be down in the garage tomorrow ready to sell you Stanty's merchandise to swell the coffers.

Let's GO RACING!!!!!!!

ps Darkness Rock, your programme will be available to collect from the Cheerio's garage :)

Speedworx
22nd July 2007, 20:44
Very happy money is going to cancer research. My mums had cancer twice and survived, I know others are not so lucky.

Abo: your not a small guy are you ;)

darknessrock
22nd July 2007, 22:09
ps Darkness Rock, your programme will be available to collect from the Cheerio's garage :)
Job done.. ( at last!! :) :))

Tiesse
22nd July 2007, 23:20
:bounce: :bounce:

Had the pleasure of chatting to Stanty and the team at Rockingham this afternoon, and delighted to report the truck is there, in one piece and ready to roll!! :cheese:

Hot topic of conversation was how overwhelmed he is by the amount of support out there.

As a result of our conversations I would suggest that a good destination for the £90 raised would be Cancer Research.

Pit Kid will be down in the garage tomorrow ready to sell you Stanty's merchandise to swell the coffers.

Let's GO RACING!!!!!!!

Firstly, I love the idea of the money going to a cancer charity. A close friend of mine died from a cancer related illness 4 weeks ago, so for me personally I think it would be quite apt.

Secondly, I thought that I'd be clever & go to get some merchandise from Stanty towards the end of the day to avoid carrying a bag with me everywhere, but when I got down there, he had packed the stuff away DOH!

Abo
23rd July 2007, 12:25
Very happy money is going to cancer research. My mums had cancer twice and survived, I know others are not so lucky.

Abo: your not a small guy are you ;)

You could always camp in the shirt when you come down for Motorfest lol

The White Lady
23rd July 2007, 12:37
Many thanks to all who have participated in this thread which started with one intention and then took on a life of it's own! Normal service will be resumed on the original auction thread in due course.

I shall be sending the £90 raised to Cancer Research UK, Gift Aiding it of course! today or tomorrow - my mum is currently recovering from cancer, and we know it has touched the lives of more than one of the SCSA/Picup Truck racing community.

Thanks again for all your support - I don't think Stanty will mind me repeating how surprised and to some extent embarrassed he is at the amount of support there is out there for the Cheerios Team.

Speedworx
23rd July 2007, 22:23
You could always camp in the shirt when you come down for Motorfest lol

Its too nice to wear. Did try it on when I got home yesterday.