PDA

View Full Version : New Markets, Circuits, and Riders

patnicholls
11th July 2007, 00:06
There's been a bit of chat about the Indy rumours doing the rounds, with the possibility that it'll be replacing Istanbul on the calendar.

Which got me thinking back to a topic I've been meaning to post on for some time, about one of the boldest decisions a racing series' organisers can make - to try and crack a new market. Whenever something new is tried it is a big risk, because there's a large financial outlay involved and it might not work. The track might be rubbish, the sponsors might not go for it, and most importantly the fans might not come or might just view it as a one-off novelty. In recent times we've seen the CART series (now Champ Car) try some expansions that along with management decisions elsewhere have nearly brought the series to it's knees - so other series must tread with care to avoid the same mistakes.

Motorbike racing has a few core markets - Spain, Italy obviously, Britain for Superbikes traditionally, the Aussies are keen, but overall there's nothing like the global impact that F1 racing has in every country it visits. But there's certainly potential with MotoGP spreading it's wings.

We've got one obvious bad example of trying to embrace a new market, and that has to be Qatar. Nothing against the country itself, or the track which is OK-ish, but that is a race that's on the calendar for all the wrong reasons. The track's in the middle of nowhere, there are very few fans, there's no home riders for the Qataris to support, and frankly it looks embarrassing watching a race on TV with no fans there ("Pat, I thought you said MotoGP was really popular?" I hear from my friends). A shameless cash cow, the Qatar races, imho.

At this point, this is looking like a bit of a rant, and rants are no good unless there's a good bit at the end showing how things should be.

Well, how about Turkey as an example of a new market the series should definitely be aiming at cracking full time?

Brilliant circuit in Istanbul - one of the best on the calendar, produces superb racing every time. And excellent facilities obviously, it being a new track.[/*:m:3npy09d0]
Large country with some keen sponsors (GP2 drivers Can Artam and Jason Tahinci were/are well-backed)[/*:m:3npy09d0]
and how about the gem in the crown - a superstar rider coming through in Kenan Sofuoglu. If he doesn't win WSB or MotoGP races, I'll be surprised.[/*:m:3npy09d0]It would be absolutely criminal to lose Turkey, and not just because of the excellent track. There must be tons of fans there who could get interested because of their rider, then get hooked on the rest.

So how about another country who's produced a young rider with loads of talent who could get things going in that nation? Well, take a look in the 250 class at the young Thai rider Ratthapark Wilairot, one of the stars of the season so far. Riding a private Honda (which is not the best bike to be on even in factory form) and seeing every circuit for the first time ever, he's doing brilliantly. Second in the privateer standings (behind Fabrizio Lai) and knocking spots off Eugene Laverty every week (who won races in British Supersport last year). I'm not sure Thailand has the facilities for a race per se, but there's definitely some new fans who must be being drawn to the sport through what he's doing.

I'm sure there was a point to be made about Indy...but I can't quite think of it. Guess the conclusion is...new markets can be good if done correctly.

As for my thoughts on Indy...lousy track, but we have got an American world champ, so I guess maybe that's a good market to expand too!

The Phantom
11th July 2007, 05:00
Great post, I don't have time to read it properly atm so will write again when I can do your thoughts justice. But for a week now I've been a bit worried about Indy MotoGP - no offence to US racing fans, but I really hope that if MotoGP becomes popular in the US that they don't dumb it down...

The Phantom
11th July 2007, 10:05
Back again. Couldn't agree more with the points you make. A good example of how not to do it is the V8 Supercar Shanghai debacle. Why why why? There are no Chinese drivers. There are no Falcons or Commodores sold in China. There's not even much evidence of Chinese interest in motorsport in general! (not sure how F1 goes there, but F1 is a bad example as it pulls the event crowd rather than the enthusiasts).

Qatar and Shanghai are all about the money. In contrast, it would appear (or the organisers would have you believe) that Indy MotoGP is about tradition, as one of the first (maybe the first) race held there was a motorcycle race. So, let's mine tradition in the search for bucks (so it IS all about the money after all! : )

How about a race in Seoul? Koreans have money, well those from the south anyway. South Korea also builds motorcycles so there is potential for brand association and image building ("hey, so does China" I hear you say - well find me a modern Chinese performance-oriented motorcycle like Hyosung builds and I'll concede the point). Seoul is also modern with good airport facilities and the other infrastructure that the travelling circus needs. So, are there any Korean riders? (is there a Korean domestic series?).

I also think a Swedish round would be well worth considering (mmm, Swedish umbrella girls...) oops sorry about that.

ozrevhead
11th July 2007, 18:21
I would like a race in either Cairo, Helsinki or CapeTown

Most ambitious would be the Bathurst V8 Circuit - considering how hairy the Chase is on four wheels as it is :s hock:!!!

Mach24
12th July 2007, 14:27
I wonder how many circuits/countries pay for the privilege of hosting a MotoGP? Perhaps the answer is none?

My thoughts are that any nation prepared to invest millions of dollars/euro etc and push the boundaries with circuit design and facilities should be entitled the chance to host a race.

Growing the supporter base is key and that is why I see two rounds in the USA at the expense of a European round.

I have no issue with the US having two rounds, I simply believe a better circuit could have been found, but would it have the prestige and pulling power of Indy?

ChrisS
17th July 2007, 21:20
The key markets for all worldwide racing series are Europe and North America with China and some other Asian countries as future markets (Australia is also a mature market but population doesn't allow for much more).

about Turkey as an example of a new market, about 50% of Turkey's population is low income with monthly salaries from £200 down to as low as £15, that is not the sort of market that will help manufacturers and sponsors sell their products.

The truth is that almost all the countries in the middle and far east that recently built racetracks did so to raise their international profile by showing they are modern developed countries that can host international events. and since these countries are willing to pay big money for that F1 and MotoGP are only to happy to take their money and give them a race.

All the new races in Asia have created a new problem since a lot Europeans are not willing to wake up early on Sunday morning for a race, thats the reason F1 is now talking about night races in Asia so they can be shown at a reasonable time in Europe. For the series organizers and the sponsors races in the Americas are the best, they are shown at late morning -early afternoon in America and during prime time in Europe, unfortunately for them not many South American countries can host races.

leopard
18th July 2007, 04:49
Personally, I would want more series in those european time zone country, because it falls on our prime time of my time zone, but more series in another time zone where I have to wake up until midnight like US would be fine though, preferably if they want to host all classes not only limited on the premiere class of motoGP.

I think the bigger populated country would be always the good prospect to marketing product of sponsor which majority lubricant products compete each other to introduce their product into the said high populated country. The trend of lifestyle now each family have at least a bike or more that will always consume lubricant regularly. The usage of lubricant lately has proclivity of change from mineral oil to synthetic oil, therefore hosting the race in those oil sources country wouldn't be a problem, and it is now the phenomenon that mostly bike user began to leave mineral oil for synthetics because of immensely introduced about their superiority, and realizing that mineral oil isn't renewable industry and has the limit to possibly come to an end.

As long as the race organizer is capable of paying the series, the low income of population wouldn't be a problem, the responsibility is now on their hand how to cover the cost of the race, selling the ticket wouldn't be the main source to cover it but the money from local sponsor or moreover the government might take involved in it.
How bad monthly individual income of a country, I still with some optimism they still would want to buy the lubricant for their bike.

leopard
18th July 2007, 05:23
And oh about Qatar, why is still to be around might be back to money problem. They might have no problem hosting the race with some extra cost more than the rest of series for account of minimum viewer and their poor racing background.

They got benefit from having the same time zone of europe that mostly have good streaming to watch it besides prime time of east and far-east countries.

Hosting the race with distinctive sensation like the passion of desert of Qatar might be also a consideration. I hope besides the race itself we have coverage on pre-race ceremonial that usually introducing culture of the said country, maybe for the grid girls and their belly-dance :)

Dr. Gellar
18th July 2007, 05:43
I wonder how many circuits/countries pay for the privilege of hosting a MotoGP? Perhaps the answer is none?

My thoughts are that any nation prepared to invest millions of dollars/euro etc and push the boundaries with circuit design and facilities should be entitled the chance to host a race.

Growing the supporter base is key and that is why I see two rounds in the USA at the expense of a European round.

I have no issue with the US having two rounds, I simply believe a better circuit could have been found, but would it have the prestige and pulling power of Indy?

Though I have yet to attend races at either of these circuits, two examples of tracks I'd like to see MotoGP bikes on would be Barber in Alabama and Miller in Utah. From what I've read both places are top notch. Barber reminds me of a European track, and has an awesome looking motorcycle museum as part of it's facilities. The only weakness I've heard about is that the track is fairly tight, very rarely allowing bigger bikes to show their potential. As for Miller, it could be one of the best tracks in the United States. If you like mountains, the scenery in the distance is beautiful, offering a very different backdrop to your typical MotoGP race. It has a few different configurations, including one that believe is about 4 miles in length. Miller's only major drawback is that....well, it's in Utah. Even if it was popular, the attendance to a MotoGP race there would probably resemble Qatar or Turkey.

mx311
19th July 2007, 06:37
Good thread Pat. The whole MotoGP / WSBK circus are missing a huge chunk of the world by not racing in South America. I can't believe neither of them race in Brazil, Mexico or Argentina. That's the first market they should be looking at imo. Canada also should get a look in and I think WSBK should be their butts back to South Africa, try Welkom instead of Kyalami.

Qatar is a waste of space, if they want to try the Arab nations give Bahrain or Dubai a go instead, they have more people.

MotoGP need to stick with China imo. The potential is huge, they just need some patiences with that one.

The biggest issue for MotoGP especially is that a huge percentage of their sponsorship comes from either Italy or Spain, so the series will remain largely based in those two countries, remember they have 5 races between them. If money starts flowing in from the Middle East or Asia then that may change things.

There is no massive need to rush into new markets, only South America imo needs a race within the next couple of years. Everything else is fine, concentrate on building up a TV profile in countries like India, Korea etc before even thinking about giving them a race.

patnicholls
16th August 2007, 20:58
A fairly disturbing story which suggests that Istanbul will not be running any bike races in the near future thanks to Bernie:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=32423

Pitpass is a reputable source, too.

ChrisS
16th August 2007, 21:28
IPO denies it

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/61548

ChrisS
16th August 2007, 21:44
BTW the 2 articles don't agree

one says that the problem is that the track is closed to Turkish athletes for 15 years, the other says that the problem is that MotoGP wont visit Turkey in 08

if the TMF is suing "in order to prevent a public facility being closed to Turkish athletes" it could mean that Bernie wont allow local club racing, track days etc... for bikes on the track. Also Sofuoglu is Turkish could it be that the TMF tried to get a WSBK race and Bernie blocked it?