PDA

View Full Version : What team is Bruno Senna mostly linked to?

FIA
10th July 2007, 22:04
Because Ayrton was mostly with MCLAREN, he could be linked with BMW or WILLIAMS and he also won a FERRARI race at Silverstone.

So what is the answer?

ChickenMcNugget
10th July 2007, 22:17
The answer is Scuderia Toro Rosso courtesy of the Gerhard Berger link between him and his uncle, I think. :\ They're the only team that seem to have really been linked with him repeatedly in the press, or "spoken for" him very explicitly.

Ian McC
10th July 2007, 22:33
I would think there are a lot of drivers ahead of him in the queue for an F1 drive.

Rollo
11th July 2007, 01:35
Bruno drove for Räikkönen Robertson Racing in 2005 & 2006 which itself is down the street from McLaren. But for 2007 I think he's driving for Arden which if I'm not mistaken is a Red Bull Racing Affiliate?
Arden run Team GB in the A1 GP series, though they have promoted Heikki and Doornbos through their ranks in the past.

If Mr McNugget's theory is correct, then based on what I know then that's likely. Also given that DC is getting on a bit and Webber hasn't exactly shone, there could be a spot at RBR in the not too distant future.

But one shouldn't speculate all over the place as it's messy :D

Cozzie
11th July 2007, 06:32
One of the Red Bull teams but Bordais would get a drive before Senna.

Ranger
11th July 2007, 10:08
I would think there are a lot of drivers ahead of him in the queue for an F1 drive.
I'll second that. It seems like he is being fast-tracked to F1 despite many others being faster or better than him (Senna's team-mate won British F3 last year), which shouldn't be right.

But to answer the thread's question, it would most likely by STR.

wedge
11th July 2007, 13:38
Has to be Williams.

Frank wants to make sure its 4 in a row....

Roamy
12th July 2007, 06:53
well the unknown is how strong Arden is in GP2. Senna has won a race and as I recall had a pretty good F3 career. He needs to get up the grid however in GP2. But that is probably just for us as I am sure the F1 teams know exactly how talented he is.

Copse
12th July 2007, 20:23
Bruno drives for Arden, headed by Christian Horner, also head of RedBull Racing. That's obviously the closest current link. Whether that means he'll end up with them next year is much more doubtful.

If it hadn't been for his name, we wouldn't be talking about him any more than which team has the closest links to Filippi, di Grassi, Zuber or Maldonado.

ShiftingGears
13th July 2007, 07:31
Because Ayrton...

Yeah, I think theres a good chance he'll get into F1 faster than people who are waiting who are probably better prepared for F1, based on his name. So if he gets in F1, I hope its because of his merit, and not because his last name is Senna.

ArrowsFA1
13th July 2007, 09:03
If it hadn't been for his name, we wouldn't be talking about him any more than which team has the closest links to Filippi, di Grassi, Zuber or Maldonado.
A good example of a name only getting you so far is Mathias Lauda. Of course a name helps, but it's results that really matter, and that's the case for any driver.

jens
13th July 2007, 19:30
Interesting that as Ralf has been criticized and disliked for having a famous name that has helped him in his motorsport career, then Rosberg, Piquet Jr, Senna, Nakajima etc haven't got such criticism.

Indeed there is too much talk around Senna - probably more than he deserves purely on results although considering how late he started his racing career, then he has done pretty well establishing himself as a competitive driver. I think that at best he would be in F1 by 2009 and in STR. Williams may also be a slight possibility...

Ian McC
13th July 2007, 20:06
I wasn't that impressed by him at the British GP, he was fast but really didn't seem too hot on overtaking.

philipbain
14th July 2007, 09:47
I actually think conversely that Bruno's surname lends to some people dimissing him as being where he is because of his uncle, but I think theres lots more to it. Obviously the Senna link will do no harm when it comes to finding sponsors and getting good equipment but if you consider that Bruno had little in the way of karting experience compared to most of his peers and as a result has spent most of his short career climbing the single seater ladder (unlike most drivers now that spent almost a decade racing competitively in karts before graduating to single seaters) he has shown some real potential, unlike the likes of Mathias Lauda who to be honest doesnt really merit a year old DTM car drive on talent!

Bruno has already managed what a lot of seemingly more experienced drivers havnt, consistantly front-running in F3 and winning in GP2. I can see Bruno making it to F1, obviously the Senna name will help in this as sponsors will be keen to buy into one of the best known brands in motorsport but I genuinely think that he deserves the opportunity on merit. As to how he goes is anyone's guess but I wish him well, other 2nd gen stars have got further with less of a grounding in solid results (Damon Hill anyone?) and have gone on to be very successful in motor racing's top flight.

msaxman
14th July 2007, 19:30
Interesting that as Ralf has been criticized and disliked for having a famous name that has helped him in his motorsport career, then Rosberg, Piquet Jr, Senna, Nakajima etc haven't got such criticism.

Indeed there is too much talk around Senna - probably more than he deserves purely on results although considering how late he started his racing career, then he has done pretty well establishing himself as a competitive driver. I think that at best he would be in F1 by 2009 and in STR. Williams may also be a slight possibility...

str may not be around in 2009...

wedge
14th July 2007, 23:17
The family banned Bruno from karting and then suddenly showed some competitiveness in Brit FBMW. That shows you some natural talent. There is talk that karting robbed him the best years of his career.

I was at the Donington race when it was wet with the pole to flag win in race 1 and then he didn't impress me much when stuck in a pack in race 2, and similarly in Silverstone too (both short and GP track).

Perhaps that killer instinct for overtaking and handling the car on the extreme limits ie. late braking was missing and would've been fully nurtured in karting. Then again junior formulae is just as bad as F1. Overtaking is very difficult unless you have a large braking zone

gloomyDAY
5th March 2009, 23:34
Where will Bruno land?

Ross scrubbed the poor b@astard and now he's roaming around without a seat. He admitted that any series' he enters will be a step backwards from F1, but it still puzzles me that he turned down a GP2 offer from Campos & iSport. Either team would have provided Bruno with a competitive car and offered him better preparation for F1!

wedge
6th March 2009, 00:19
Where will Bruno land?

Ross scrubbed the poor b@astard and now he's roaming around without a seat. He admitted that any series' he enters will be a step backwards from F1, but it still puzzles me that he turned down a GP2 offer from Campos & iSport. Either team would have provided Bruno with a competitive car and offered him better preparation for F1!

Probably DTM.

If the Honda debacle hadn't occured then it looked likely Bruno would be driving for but because the situation Brawn Racing is now in they could do with experience. I don't blame Brawn one bit. Putting Bruno in Melbourne with little mileage behind him he's likely to make a fool of himself - I may be wrong but that just my opinion.

Easy Drifter
6th March 2009, 08:24
Dean McNulty in the Toronto Sun speculates IRL bringing considerable money to whatever team.
My speculation if Dean is right is Rahal Letterman is possible.
Note both are speculation.

Knock-on
6th March 2009, 09:26
I've seen him race and I'm not sure he's got what it takes.

Fast driver for sure but not outstanding enough. Just doesn't have the "it" factor.

I await to be proved wrong.

Sonic
6th March 2009, 10:11
I've seen him race and I'm not sure he's got what it takes.

Fast driver for sure but not outstanding enough. Just doesn't have the "it" factor.

I await to be proved wrong.

and i doubt you will be proved wrong.

He reminds me a lot of Jan Magnussen. Mega hype but lacking the final few pieces of the jigsaw to live up to that hype.

Knock-on
6th March 2009, 11:38
and i doubt you will be proved wrong.

He reminds me a lot of Jan Magnussen. Mega hype but lacking the final few pieces of the jigsaw to live up to that hype.

It's rare for a relative to live up to the benchmark.

NP jr has never really shown anything suggesting him suitable for a F1 seat. Senna is only there because of his name IMHO. Nico is not doing a bad job but that's the only one. Then we have Ralfie who IMHO had the ability but never the application to match his brother. You can pick others such as Greg the Mansel boys etc but nothing really of note.

I do see a spark in Henry Surtees and Andrew Jordan is rapidly becoming a bit of a star in BTCC.

That's about it.

BeansBeansBeans
6th March 2009, 11:54
NP jr has never really shown anything suggesting him suitable for a F1 seat. Senna is only there because of his name IMHO.

That's a bit unfair, I reckon. Their famous surnames have been hugely beneficial but both drivers have shown talent behind the wheel. Their GP2 performances compare well with those of Kovalainen, for instance.

Knock-on
6th March 2009, 13:13
That's a bit unfair, I reckon. Their famous surnames have been hugely beneficial but both drivers have shown talent behind the wheel. Their GP2 performances compare well with those of Kovalainen, for instance.

And the point is :D

Seriously though, Bruno was good last year but had a great tem under him.

His fragility to do the business towards the end of the season is akin to a Boxers "weak chin" but then again, so did Georgy.

I just didn't see enough to inspire me. That's all.

wedge
6th March 2009, 14:14

Magnussen dominated F3 and JYS stupidly (in hindsight) said he was better than Senna.

Don't particularly remember Bruno getting enormous hype about his talent - more to do with his surname. I'd say Nelsinho had more hype than Bruno.

Robinho
6th March 2009, 15:32
the interesting thing about Bruno is the speed he has got up to speed, given the relatively small amount of racing he has had compared with his couterparts, and he also has a certain something in the wet.

i'm not going to claim he is anything like his late uncle in terms of talent, but there is a spark or something there and i don't think we've seen the last of him.

wedge
6th March 2009, 16:11
the interesting thing about Bruno is the speed he has got up to speed, given the relatively small amount of racing he has had compared with his couterparts, and he also has a certain something in the wet.

i'm not going to claim he is anything like his late uncle in terms of talent, but there is a spark or something there and i don't think we've seen the last of him.

He leaves with the opposite impression. He showed potential in F3 but not in GP2. He drove for one of the best teams, fighting for the championship but seemed to run out of ideas. Brundle is critical of his own career and readily admits that his battles with Senna in F3 elevated him to a higher level. I never really saw that with Bruno whereas drivers like Buemi could create something from nothing.