PDA

View Full Version : European or German GP

luvracin
10th July 2007, 21:15
Why is the next GP at the Nurburgring being called the European GP and not the German GP?

Crypt
10th July 2007, 21:40
Since the German GP was held at Hockenheimring, I would imagine they just decided to keep the same naming convention. There is alot of money wrapped up in holding a GP and contracts probably kept the European GP name tied to the 'Ring.

That was my guess, anyone have solid data?

Cozzie
11th July 2007, 06:34
It won't be next year (or to be more precise the year after as the German tracks are swapping around) as Valencia will be the host of the European GP.

ArrowsFA1
11th July 2007, 08:20
I think the title of the 'German GP' is owned by Hockenheim so cannot be used by another circuit.

N. Jones
11th July 2007, 15:41
Really? That's wierd. I thought they would share the name since they are now alternating races. What will they call it in '09 when Valencia is hosting the Euro GP?

AndyRAC
11th July 2007, 22:54
I think the title of the 'German GP' is owned by Hockenheim so cannot be used by another circuit.

As far as I know that is correct, though seeing as both tracks have been 'Tilked' maybe they should be called the Hermann Grand Prix or (Grosser Preis von Hermann).

Regarding Valencia, I do scratch my head, they're building a new facility based on the waterfront, yet they already have circuit in Valencia. I though F1 wanted to go 'green', building another circuit not far from another one doesn't seem green to me.