PDA

View Full Version : Hopper Signs with Kawasaki, according to MCN

tha_jackal
10th July 2007, 10:43
Here tis (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/july/jul9-jul15/jul1007johnhopkinssignsforkawasakimotogpteam/)

Make of it what you will..

Corny
10th July 2007, 10:58
noooo :(

jim mcglinchey
10th July 2007, 13:26
sonofabitch! Not John, of course, Im just cursing.If they loose John and got Marco it wouldnt be as bad.

Ranger
10th July 2007, 14:11
So he's left at least the third or 4th best team for an unproven (if improving team) team that hasn't won a race in recent memory (forever?). :confused:

On paper at least, that ain't too smart. We'll see how it pans out...

The Phantom
10th July 2007, 16:53
Isn't there a link up between Kawasaki and Monster (an energy drink?) in the US, and Monster is a personal sponsor of Hopkins? Money talks as we know, and if Monster promised $$ to Kawasaki on the condition that they sign Hopkins, then that might explain some of it.

Hopkins has been able to evaluate the Kawasaki up close and personal, and Jeremy Burgess said that the Kawasaki has become a serious contender, so I'd say he'd be confident that he'd be on a potential titlewinner. He might also have the inside line on whether the Suzuki can get any faster or not...

Will be interesting to see West and De Puniet trying to beat Hopkins if it is confirmed, no-one wants to be the 'number two rider'!

fatman
10th July 2007, 20:31
It's really hard to say if this move is a step forward, a step back or just a lateral move by Hopkins. The green machine might look like a good package at the moment, but so does the suzuki and a hell of a lot can happen before 2008.

Best of luck John !!

jonny hurlock
10th July 2007, 21:52
Isn't there a link up between Kawasaki and Monster (an energy drink?) in the US, and Monster is a personal sponsor of Hopkins? Money talks as we know, and if Monster promised $$ to Kawasaki on the condition that they sign Hopkins, then that might explain some of it.

Hopkins has been able to evaluate the Kawasaki up close and personal, and Jeremy Burgess said that the Kawasaki has become a serious contender, so I'd say he'd be confident that he'd be on a potential titlewinner. He might also have the inside line on whether the Suzuki can get any faster or not...

Will be interesting to see West and De Puniet trying to beat Hopkins if it is confirmed, no-one wants to be the 'number two rider'!

Hopper and De Puniet in the same team could be a great line up. Also Monster as sponorship will be great if it happens.

http://motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?S=AMA-SBK&E=Utah/Superbike_Saturday_qualif&Y=2007&O=12

look at that ama livery imagine that on a kawasaki moto gp bike,

also could toseland would replease hopper for 2008.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~151002.htm

tha_jackal
11th July 2007, 03:05
Hopper and De Puniet in the same team could be a great line up. Also Monster as sponorship will be great if it happens.

http://motorsport.com/photos/select.asp?S=AMA-SBK&E=Utah/Superbike_Saturday_qualif&Y=2007&O=12

look at that ama livery imagine that on a kawasaki moto gp bike,

also could toseland would replease hopper for 2008.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~151002.htm

West and Hopper could be greater :D ;)

Also, that crash.net article is simply unfounded British press, making up random, biased and hopeful claims in order to pump up their one and only hope, in James Toseland, of having a GP champ in the near future..

They should not start talk and rumour about Toseland to Suzuki AT LEAST until talks, even link ups damnwell happen, maybe they think if they start writing about it now it HAS to happen in the future :p

jim mcglinchey
11th July 2007, 08:23
Meanwhile back at Suzook, it must be bit of a kick in the teeth, I mean how hard does Hopper have to try now that he's sorted for the next year or two, and how must it effect relations in his team with them knowing that he has jumped ship at this stage of the year?

Ranger
11th July 2007, 10:09
Meanwhile back at Suzook, it must be bit of a kick in the teeth, I mean how hard does Hopper have to try now that he's sorted for the next year or two, and how must it effect relations in his team with them knowing that he has jumped ship at this stage of the year?
I know eh. To me it just seems dumb. The team has got better with him there as the rider who is most of the time better than his team-mate (with the team still improving with a win under their belt), and now he jumps ship for a similarly improving team who aren't any better than Suzuki... WHY??

tha_jackal
11th July 2007, 10:23
... WHY??

Monster Money! $$$$$$$$
;)

Nice play on words ey?

leopard
12th July 2007, 08:23
I don't know how to respond this issue. It feels like the current existing Kawasaki riders are at their best formation. With Hopkins entering the team will have to mean one of either de Puniet and West must be out. What a pity.
From the origin point of view it won't be likely de Puniet out of the team easily, while West who just got the ride motogp wouldn't be the wise choice to let him go.

The chronology said that it was Hopper and the management wanted to terminate their relationship with Suzuki for another go to Kawasaki, while Suzuki looks still want to keep him alongside Vermeulen to race another season or more.

fireblade1000
12th July 2007, 12:19
West might still keep his place if the rumours are true and kawasaki decide to go for a three bike team next year.

Although i would like to see Nakano back on the green machine if there is one extra place.

tha_jackal
12th July 2007, 12:28
West might still keep his place if the rumours are true and kawasaki decide to go for a three bike team next year.

Although i would like to see Nakano back on the green machine if there is one extra place.

I think DePuniet is still the more likely option, the team in 08 being Hopkins, Capirossi and DePuniet. However, that being said, if Ant can keep improving and start challenging Randy come raceday, then I think he may push to stay in 08, simply because he's more reliable..

Even if that fails, im pretty sure Ant's performances thus far and in his remaining races will make a few other teams take notice, so a ride in the premier class in 08 is still a real possibility for the Green Ant.. :up:

Silly season is fun! We havnt even reached the summer break yet! :D

neninja
12th July 2007, 12:55
I really hope it works out for Hopper but I fear this heralds a few years in the wilderness for him.

The Suzuki is good this year. Rumour is that the Kwak is equally good but without a rider to demonstrate it. Having said that all through the 990 years, Kawasaki always seemed to be at least a year behind the top teams with development.

If Du Puniet could stop crashing he's got the speed. I can't see that happening though.

Capirossi is a spent force so I would be puzzled if Kawasaki hired him but they do have a habit of hiring over the hill riders - Olivier Jacque, Gary McCoy

The Phantom
13th July 2007, 08:20
I really hope it works out for Hopper but I fear this heralds a few years in the wilderness for him.

A bit like his last few years in the wilderness? ;)

Capirossi is a spent force so I would be puzzled if Kawasaki hired him but they do have a habit of hiring over the hill riders - Olivier Jacque, Gary McCoy

Capirex is a big puzzle at the moment. He's been around a looooong time, and on the right day still has the speed. Bit like Mr Bean, really, but Barros still seems to have the fire.

McCoy is far from over the hill, he simply needs the machinery (a bit like West). He won in WSB on a very average 999...

ChrisS
13th July 2007, 19:50
How big of a company Monster Energy drinks is? I never heard of them before this year when they started sponsoring Hopper in MotoGP and PT in CCWS. are they big enough to give 4mil euro for a rider?

I think this move also was to do with Hopper getting better support from the team (maybe he was promised no1 rider status at Kawasaki) he wasnt to happy with the team support from Suzuki

fireblade1000
13th July 2007, 21:48
Didn't know them before this year either, but look like they are serious.

Checked out thier web site and they already sponsor alot of sports stars.
They cover many sports and seem to sponsor quite alot of racing teams and riders.

Here's the page if you want to have a look.

http://www.monsterenergy.com/troops/athletes.php

NinjaMaster
14th July 2007, 03:25
This is a great signing for Kawasaki. It's usually fairly odd for a rider to make a decision about the following year so early but I understand that Kawasaki are super keen to get their riders organised early after missing the boat last year and having to settle for OJ.

On the topic of Team Green in 08, there really appears to be mixed messages coming from them at the moment regarding the rest of the rider/team structure. On one hand they say they are planning on a 2 rider team for next year with 3 riders only a possibilty, yet they are still chasing another proven MotoGP winner (ie. Capirossi, Melandri) and are expecting to announce that soon after Laguna and have stated that RdP and West aren't fighting for next year's bike but that Randy is the fixed rider in the squad. I assume that means Randy is the No.1 rider for this year but does that mean they are both out on their ass next year? RdP expects to re-sign within the next month which leaves Ant chasing a ride (again :rolleyes: ) regardless of performance.
Finally, I wonder what the prospect of a Kawasaki satellite team would be, similar to the rumoured Aspar Suzuki team. With Ten Kate reprtedly keen to enter MotoGP, perhaps one of the current Honda teams (Gresini, LCR, JiR) would consider leaving the big H for the big K? Gresini already have a relationship with Bridgestone whilst JiR apparently want to run a 2 rider team next year. Interesting times ahead.

Mach24
14th July 2007, 06:15
What concerns me most about Team Green is the recent history. An under performing bike in an under developed and (probably) under funded team.

However Kawasaki have now taken 'ownership' of the team and with immediate result. Is this a flash in the pan related directly to the 800?
This being the first year of the 800's they have come out hard. Will they be able to maintain the momentum? No successful team can rest on development ever!

There are a couple of anomalies this year, namely Kawasaki's change of fortunes and then on the other side of the coin Honda's change of fortunes.

I see this as being redresses next year with Honda putting up a far better bike and fighting for the championship. Kawasaki on the other hand will have a new rider, maybe two new riders and the might of Honda, Ducati, Yamaha and Rossi to deal with.

When all is said and done for all manufacturers, this years bike is not going to win anyone a championship next year. Perhaps Kawasaki are truly now a serious player in MotoGP and certainly having John and Moster ($$$) aboard can only assist the progress.

I find it a little strange that John has left the team he claimed was where he wanted to be and Suzuki were building a bike around him.

Maybe Little Johnny Hopper is destine for mediocrity!

Dr. Gellar
16th July 2007, 06:28
Hi there everyone. I've been following the posts on this forum for quite a while, but this is my first time posting. I'm pretty excited to be here.

I think this is a good move for Hopkins, certainly a fresh start if nothing else. He is taking a big chance, but I hope for him it will be worth it. It's pretty safe to say that his Monster Energy sponsorship was probably a huge factor in his decision making to go to Kawasaki. I'm hoping the rumors that Monster Energy will also become the title sponsor of the Kawasaki MotoGP team turn out to be true. If nothing else, it should give the team a more professional and serious look. The extra money in the racing budget can't hurt either.

NinjaMaster
16th July 2007, 11:50
Hey there Dr Geller, welcome and thanks for joining. :wave: Hope you enjoy it here, we're all pretty friendly, so long as you're not a Hodgson fan! :laugh:

They are good points you make and I would agree with them but then I am a pretty passionate Kwaka fan so my opinions may be slightly biased. :erm: I hope Monster become the title sponsor down at team green, especially to see a return to their traditional lime green as they should be.

Dr. Gellar
17th July 2007, 03:18
Thanks for the welcome NinjaMaster!

It would be cool to see that, although I wouldn't mind seeing the livery of the bike in nearly all black with lime green lettering and trim, like the Monster Energy drink can. I've seen some pics of the bike in prototype black, and I think it looks sharp. Either way would work for me though.

I just want to see that team come out guns a'blazing. It's about time Kawasaki started mixing it up on a consistent basis for podiums, if not wins. Barring injuries, I think Hopkins will surprise a few people once he gets a few tests on the new bike and team. I'm sure he'll be very competitive. And if Kawasaki can indeed snag another top name as rumors suggest, it will only make them stronger.

leopard
17th July 2007, 10:19
Dr.,( :) ) are you suggesting Kawasaki to look for another strong rider beside Hopkins?
Randy is strong and West's fans wouldn't be happy to see Kawasaki let him go.

maxu05
17th July 2007, 13:19
I think Kawasaki are getting serious about trying to take the crown within the next 2 or 3 years. Step 1, was trying out some potential stars, Step 2 was signing Hopper, Step 3 is to sign a seasoned race winner. I think Kawasaki will sign Capirossi, Melandri or Vermeulen, and run a 3rd bike for either Randy or Westy, depending on who shows the most consistency. Randy can be very quick, but he is a little bit dodgy throughout the races. Westy, well, not as spectacular as Randy, but, brings it home in a respectable place. If Westy can up the anty, and get the bike home in the top 5 within the next 2 or 3 races, he may be in with a shot at a ride for 2008. I am just happy to see the Green machine competitive, and ready to get serious about their racing. Go Kawasaki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corny
17th July 2007, 16:24
nono, Randy will stay.. MotoGP needs a french rider, Dorna will make him stay

ChrisS
17th July 2007, 17:06
I have my doubts about a 3 bike Kawasaki team next season, I don't think it will happen. its not easy running 3 bikes, IMHO Kawasaki would be better off leasing 2 bikes to someone else and running a satellite team

Dr. Gellar
18th July 2007, 02:40
Well, Kawasaki are looking to sign Capirossi or Melandri...right? I'm guessing Capirossi will be the one. A team of Hopkins and Capirossi, on paper at least, looks to be a formidable one.

De Puniet is a good rider...when he's not crashing. It seems like nearly every race I watch he ends up in the gravel. As for West, I'm as big a fan of his as anybody. I love underdogs, and his underdog story is incredible. I want Kawasaki to run 3 bikes next season (4 bikes would be nice too, if they could run two more through a satellite team), and keep West. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Kawasaki is definitely getting serious. No more playing the part of the smallest Japanese factory barely able to compete...it's time to bring it. If it all comes together for them next season (Hopkins, Capirossi, West, Monster Energy sponsorship, BIG $$$$), I just hope the results live up to the hype (well...my hype).

leopard
18th July 2007, 04:37
I have also the same doubt that the redbull money will enable the green machine running the third or forth bike, unless they supply another bike for the satellite team with their own cost, but it is likely people will make a sharp glance at Honda or Yamaha before any bike like Kawasaki. They might build the stronger consolidated team, with the expectation to challenge the title better than today (probably).

Dr. Gellar
18th July 2007, 04:55
I have also the same doubt that the redbull money will enable the green machine running the third or forth bike, unless they supply another bike for the satellite team with their own cost, but it is likely people will make a sharp glance at Honda or Yamaha before any bike like Kawasaki. They might build the stronger consolidated team, with the expectation to challenge the title better than today (probably).

It'll depend on how much of an investment Monster Energy is willing to make towards the team, and if Kawasaki would be willing to take the chance that Suzuki appear to be unlikely to do (run a third bike for '08). After the kind of year Honda is having, despite Pedrosa's recent victory, I think as a racer looking for a job you still have to be careful (ask Nakano and Checa). With Yamaha...it truly depends on what kind of team the Tech 3 effort turns into next year. Heck, if you take Rossi away from Yamaha...they'd have struggled as much as Kawasaki and Suzuki have over the last few years.

leopard
20th July 2007, 04:34
Heck, if you take Rossi away from Yamaha...they'd have struggled as much as Kawasaki and Suzuki have over the last few years.
Not really...with Rossi on the Yamaha they have struggled at Sachsenring :)

S Evans
21st July 2007, 05:42
I This team works for John, he seems to move to every team eventually. I hope he gets closer to a championship. Anyway, good luck on Sunday.
sean

PS: link to great classic racing here.
http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75658&perpage=40&display=&pagenumber=144

maxu05
22nd July 2007, 03:54
Team green are going to be up there next year. The man that can show what the bike can do is the Hopper, so best of luck, and a great move IMO :up: