PDA

View Full Version : Funny .... or not.

Hazell B
9th July 2007, 23:34
Out of interest, I wonder if you'd all be so kind as to tell me if this 'joke' on somebody was funny or cruel.

A man goes to his neighbour's place of work, something he has never done before, and on arriving says "Your house has been broken into. It's smashed and they've ransacked it!"

The woman, obvously upset at this, asks a few questions about the damage, police and so on. The man tells he nothing but bad news. Her home is badly damaged, the contents mainly gone, the police have no leads, etc.

Eventually, when the woman is close to tears, the man laughs and says it was all a joke. The woman calms down and a few days later tells the man exactly what she thinks of his 'joke' in no uncertain terms.

So, what do we think of the man and woman's actions and reactions?

By the way, this did happen last week - and I'll tell you the outcome when I've had your views.

Eki
9th July 2007, 23:44
It would be funny on TV, but in real life it's just cruel and stupid.

Hondo
9th July 2007, 23:55
It would be funny on TV, but in real life it's just cruel and stupid.

Got to go with Eki on this one. Might have been amusing to start with, but he should have stopped and come clean when he saw the effect it was causing.

Hondo
10th July 2007, 00:04
Around here, instead of waiting a few days, immediately whacking the fool upside the head with a shovel (or any other handy implement) would have been deemed not only appropriate, but just as amusing as the joke.

Rollo
10th July 2007, 01:15
I am usually accused of being the poor taste merchant around here but I fail to see how reducing someone to tears is in the least way humourous.
Is there some sort of punch line you haven't told us about? Hmm it's July 10; so that rules out any April Fools' prank.

Nope, sorry, can't find the joke here. I'm all for Fiero 5.7's shovel plan.

Storm
10th July 2007, 01:57
It isn't funny...unless maybe the person is very close friend ...which this person doesn't seem to be (that too is stretching it)

Christina
10th July 2007, 03:58
That's not funny at all. It's horrible. especially since he went to the effort of going to her workplace and all.. It's a planned personal attack.

ShiftingGears
10th July 2007, 04:30
I reckon they crossed the line there. Not funny.

Jaws
10th July 2007, 05:14
If someone did that to Mrs Jaws the funny bit would be when I snotted him in the nose.

oily oaf
10th July 2007, 07:08
About as funny as a fire at an orphnage.
This comedian needs a swift right-hander to help him with his timing and delivery. FACT!

CarlMetro
10th July 2007, 08:30
Looks like we're all of a similar opinion, where the funny part would substantial ammounts of pain inflicted onto the joker in question, What an arse!

SEATFreak
10th July 2007, 08:45
What can be said from me? Everyone has said it all. As Christina said it was a planned personal attack that as everyone agrees on was cruel.

I will say this though in addition. It was incredibly badly constructed. Their was no part about that joke when written down or spoken that leads me to feel it is being built up to the punchline climax. It was just essentially a guy telling his neighbour a load of bad news about the ransacking of her house.

fasttrakker55
10th July 2007, 08:49
It'd be funny if he videotaped the reaction and sold it to Funniest Home Videos or whichever which accepts the tape and get some $$$ for it. Then get the lady a bouquet of flowers found in her garden as a thank you/sorry gesture.

LotusElise
10th July 2007, 09:18
Doing it in person, in front of others, at her place of work, just makes it humiliating and not funny at all.
Although her colleagues probably think he's a total loon now.

Did this happen to you, Hazell?

Erki
10th July 2007, 09:40
Bwhaahaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa :rotflmao:

:dozey:

Not funny. :down: Not even to me. :eek: :o

BDunnell
10th July 2007, 09:51
Not funny. That sort of joke rarely is, in my opinion.

Flat.tyres
10th July 2007, 10:10
on the face of it, it doesnt sound very amusing if we have all the facts but stories like this tend to have other factors to consider.

Reminds me of the question of who would you rather trust, an alcholic, a womaniser or a devout christian otherwise known as Churchill, FDR or Hitler ;)

Donney
10th July 2007, 10:24
I don't know where the funny part is.

Mark
10th July 2007, 10:37
People have been charged with Actual Bodily Harm by the police for causing distress for doing similar things in the past.

martinbalmer
10th July 2007, 11:54
Sounds like someone with too much time on his hands..

I thought a real joke generally requires some sort of intelligence, skill, or wit, to construct and carry through. And isn't simply about getting a cheap laugh or ego trip at an innocent persons expense.

Although, I admit that I'm boring and don't really find watching people get upset because of wind-ups all that funny.

BDunnell
10th July 2007, 13:24
Sounds like someone with too much time on his hands..

I thought a real joke generally requires some sort of intelligence, skill, or wit, to construct and carry through. And isn't simply about getting a cheap laugh or ego trip at an innocent persons expense.

Although, I admit that I'm boring and don't really find watching people get upset because of wind-ups all that funny.

Not boring at all. I hardly ever find wind-ups amusing.

BeansBeansBeans
10th July 2007, 13:43
It reminds me of the scene in The Office where David Brent pretends to sack Dawn for stealing Post-it Notes. He ends up looking a fool when she begins to cry, and this guy sounds similarly foolish.

BDunnell
10th July 2007, 14:27
Exactly. The perfect example.

slinkster
10th July 2007, 15:39
That's plain nasty if you ask me :(

Dave B
10th July 2007, 17:30
A few years ago our local radio breakfast show thought it would be funny to do some "hilarious" prank calls.

One guy rumbled them a few seconds into the call, and kept asking, "who is this?" and saying "This is a wind-up".

Undeterred, they carried on for about five minutes before revealing the hoax and proudly boasting "We had you going for a while there, didn't we?". Erm, no.

Anyhoo...

The original scenario could possibly be funny IF you knew your victim well and knew for certain they'd take it as a joke. However, the woman in the story sounds genuinely upset by the whole thing, and who could blame her?

It may have been meant as a joke, but clearly wasn't thought through properly and caused a great deal of harm.

Breeze
11th July 2007, 12:50
Out of interest, I wonder if you'd all be so kind as to tell me if this 'joke' on somebody was funny or cruel.

.....blah, blah, blah........

By the way, this did happen last week - and I'll tell you the outcome when I've had your views.

Well, where's the rest of the story? I've just read this and can't stand the suspense!!

Captain VXR
11th July 2007, 16:29
not funny

cobre
11th July 2007, 16:44
I hope the outcome includes a generous dose of mental and or physical pain inflicted on said prankster, ( a funny lesson don't you think?)

Hazell B
11th July 2007, 21:34
Well, where's the rest of the story? I've just read this and can't stand the suspense!!

Sorry, was too busy yesterday to get here and tell you. Anyway, you look great in suspenders :p :

Well, on sunday morning at 7.30 the man came to the woman's market stall and said somebody has been complaining about her over something, which she questioned. He eventually said it, too, was a joke and total fiction. She asked who enjoyed the joke? Not the woman, not the people who he claimed had been wronging her and not even his own daughter who stood flaberghasted at what he was saying. So far only the one person - and he's fast losing all his friends.

In short, the other market traders heard his pathetic efforts at humour and all but slapped his gormless face, thus saving the woman the job :p :

It was me, if you hadn't guessed. I didn't want to attract 'sides' by saying who was involved and wanted an honest answer. I'm all for a joke, but they have to be funny on some level :mark: Pete, the man, just scared me badly saying my house was smashed up.

Then he asked to borrow my trailer :rolleyes:
I said yes but didn't drop it off as promised :p :
Funny, he didn't laugh .......

luvracin
11th July 2007, 21:42
Sorry, was too busy yesterday to get here and tell you. Anyway, you look great in suspenders :p :

Well, on sunday morning at 7.30 the man came to the woman's market stall and said somebody has been complaining about her over something, which she questioned. He eventually said it, too, was a joke and total fiction. She asked who enjoyed the joke? Not the woman, not the people who he claimed had been wronging her and not even his own daughter who stood flaberghasted at what he was saying. So far only the one person - and he's fast losing all his friends.

In short, the other market traders heard his pathetic efforts at humour and all but slapped his gormless face, thus saving the woman the job :p :

It was me, if you hadn't guessed. I didn't want to attract 'sides' by saying who was involved and wanted an honest answer. I'm all for a joke, but they have to be funny on some level :mark: Pete, the man, just scared me badly saying my house was smashed up.

Then he asked to borrow my trailer :rolleyes:
I said yes but didn't drop it off as promised :p :
Funny, he didn't laugh .......

You know.. He does sound funny.... After all I always laugh at ****ers.

Crypt
11th July 2007, 21:48
"A baby seal walks into a club..."

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

janneppi
12th July 2007, 07:52
A few years ago our local radio breakfast show thought it would be funny to do some "hilarious" prank calls.

One guy rumbled them a few seconds into the call, and kept asking, "who is this?" and saying "This is a wind-up".

Undeterred, they carried on for about five minutes before revealing the hoax and proudly boasting "We had you going for a while there, didn't we?". Erm, no.

We had a show here ten years ago that did the same thing, the only really funny hoax was when they did it to the radio host, man was he mad when he thought his honey moon trip was cancelled two days before he was supposed leave. Served him right.

Donney
12th July 2007, 08:52
Hazell you are going soft, you should have killed him or something....

Drew
12th July 2007, 13:35
Had this woman pulled a prank on him before, are they (were they) friends?

The man's a lunatic :s

Mark in Oshawa
12th July 2007, 15:52
Hazell, if someone did that to me, I probably would have knocked a few teeth out. Now I suspect you being a lady, you would have just slapped him silly, but the point has to be made that this is just cruel, not funny.

LeonBrooke
13th July 2007, 00:38
Hazell you are going soft, you should have killed him or something....

Sounds like a proportionate reaction :p

Donney
13th July 2007, 09:32
Sounds like a proportionate reaction :p

Hey very sensible of me I wrote "or something..." which leaves the door open to many cruel options... :monster:

Hazell B
14th July 2007, 21:50
..... which leaves the door open to many cruel options... :monster:

I like your style :p :

Not going to do anything though.
Can't speak for the other people who heard what happened mind you. I've a feeling they'll tell him his car's been nicked or something once he's forgotten this episode :p :

LeonBrooke
15th July 2007, 09:06
I like your style :p :

Can't speak for the other people who heard what happened mind you. I've a feeling they'll tell him his car's been nicked or something once he's forgotten this episode :p :

Let us know ;)

CarlMetro
16th July 2007, 08:28

Hazell you disappointment me, you must be mellowing with age. The Hazell of old would now be walking around with the guys nuts for a pair of earings, or at least have plotted, and carried out, some serious revenge.

Captain VXR
16th July 2007, 16:52
Send something bad in the post to him ideas can be found in http://www.driftworks.com/forum/other-chat/37891-what-do-we-send-people.html

Dave B
16th July 2007, 17:36
Send something bad in the post to him ideas can be found in http://www.driftworks.com/forum/other-chat/37891-what-do-we-send-people.html
Some mature and considered posts on that thread, hey? :dozey:

Hazell B
16th July 2007, 20:43
The Hazell of old would now be walking around with the guys nuts for a pair of earings.....

No, I like dangly ear rings, not small studs :rolleyes:

:p :