PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling windows

AndySpeed
9th July 2007, 20:16
Because my laptop is a bit slow sometimes, and I've read that Windows has a 'half life' I've decided to reinstall the whole thing. Is it possible for me to keep my files in doing it (like, for instance, dumping stuff of my 'D' partition as Windows is on the 'C' partition) or should I just use an external hard drive temporarily (i.e. my ipod)?

Got any advice? My task for this week :) Gotta love the uni summer holidays- work and laptop maintenance :\

MrJan
9th July 2007, 21:40
I seem to remember that there is a way to part re-install windows but I would advise not to. Whenever I have tried it the whole process has gone what I believe is best known as 'tits up'. My current running total is 3 computers in 3 years, although one was a laptop that was a bit w**ked anyway so shouldn't really count.

Of course this could have more to do with me not being very good with computers than anything else so if you do go ahead with it I reckon it'd be a good idea to back up as many files as possible on a couple of different devices (DVDs, USB sticks etc. etc.)

Ian McC
9th July 2007, 22:29
I have done it many times without too many problems, I back up anything I want to keep onto another drive :)

Mark
10th July 2007, 08:15
Make sure all your files / documents / photos etc are in one place, preferably backed up to two CD's (and don't forget to actually try to access the files on the CD, just to make sure it's worked)

Don't forget that you'll have to reinstall off of your applications from the orginal install CD's/files, just copying the directory where it's installed usually won't do.

tmx
10th July 2007, 08:35
I prefer a complete reinstall, get rid of all the junks that way.

For part reinstall. When you are in the blue screen where it's allow you to reinstall or format, etc. Just choose to install over your current C: drive, and it will ask you if you want to delete the windows directly, and just that and nothing else.

I would back up the files in the My Documents folders too, just in case that gets erase in the process.

Daniel
10th July 2007, 10:06
Because my laptop is a bit slow sometimes, and I've read that Windows has a 'half life' I've decided to reinstall the whole thing. Is it possible for me to keep my files in doing it (like, for instance, dumping stuff of my 'D' partition as Windows is on the 'C' partition) or should I just use an external hard drive temporarily (i.e. my ipod)?

Got any advice? My task for this week :) Gotta love the uni summer holidays- work and laptop maintenance :\
Just put the files on your iPod or an external hard drive :)

Ian McC
10th July 2007, 22:24
Oh, if you use Outlook remember to export all your e-mails.