PDA

View Full Version : Howell Split

MBailey06
9th July 2007, 17:35
Well well, I wasn't expecting that! I wonder who the replacement will be, and whether Howell with come back in another car? His departure from Motorbase is a surprise, but considering the damage done in recent weeks I guess there was always a chance of this happening.

Ian McC
9th July 2007, 18:12
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=621&PHPSESSID=11acc8412864b94226b3a56dc933be49

So is that becuase of the damage or because he doesn't bring in enough money?

LiamM
9th July 2007, 19:15
Whats Tom Ferrier up to these days? He deserved that seat at the start of the season

Brooklands78
9th July 2007, 19:44
Whats Tom Ferrier up to these days? He deserved that seat at the start of the season

Agreed - what a drive at Silverstone last year! Hopefully we've not seen the last of Gareth, though - maybe he'll get another drive somewhere before the end of the season.

ATF
9th July 2007, 20:18
I agree, such a shame! Hope he can sort something else out, he's the kind of top driver that deserves to be in the BTCC.

Saying that though, Ferrier is another driver who deserves to be there!

nicemms
9th July 2007, 20:48
Howell deserves to be in the btcc. Hes a good driver, as proved last year in the Integras

tisme
9th July 2007, 21:05
http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=621&PHPSESSID=11acc8412864b94226b3a56dc933be49

Reading Bartrum’s response, I think the team has suffered too much damage. More than what they budgeted for...
I think it’s about time the organisers took some notice of whats going on...

I'm only glad it wasn't an announcement that the team was giving up the BTCC!

BTCC2
9th July 2007, 21:15
I expect it to be Tom Ferrier.

VkmSpouge
9th July 2007, 22:18
A real shame that all the large accidents (mostly not their fault) the Motorbase cars seem to get into have cost Gareth Howell his seat.

Ian McC
9th July 2007, 23:09
I expect it to be whoever can afford it!

Jona
10th July 2007, 00:17
Will Gareth ever do a full season of BTCC?!

AlexD
10th July 2007, 00:43
I hope if Ferrier gets it he gets his colour scheme back. Don't like the one on Howell's car!

cos
10th July 2007, 00:56

Given that Allison's car has his sponsor logos all over it and Howell's has "Motorbase" in big letters on the side I'd reckon money goes some way towards the split...

BDunnell
10th July 2007, 10:16
Reading Bartrum’s response, I think the team has suffered too much damage. More than what they budgeted for...
I think it’s about time the organisers took some notice of whats going on...

To be fair, Howell's shunt in the wet at Oulton was his fault alone, and didn't Allison go off in the first race on his own, too?

MBailey06
10th July 2007, 10:59
To be fair, Howell's shunt in the wet at Oulton was his fault alone, and didn't Allison go off in the first race on his own, too?

No, I think he went off on oil left by Adam Jones.

Dickie L'Amour
10th July 2007, 12:52
It was water dumped by Adam Jones after he'd been off through the soggy grass at the chicane (in a collision with onslow-Cole). Poor Allison was the next on the scene...

There was also the big accident at thruxton when Allison's car was wrecked after slight contact from Howell. Really unfortunate.

SEATFreak
10th July 2007, 13:57

Not just that. According to Mr Bartrum the time in the bodyshop whilst waiting for the parts to be delivered was hurting the testing shedule.

But can I just say on the actual axing, surely it wasn't all Gareth's fault that his accidents happened? I mean, if you and I were to meet, would anyone be able to look at me in the eye and tell me not one driver is not a clean driver?

I expect it to be whoever can afford it!

Can we begin throwing names in the hat? What about my suggestion Gavin Smith?

VXRDartford
10th July 2007, 15:00
tom ferrier is racing in the british gt championship with tech 9 motorsport. Don't know if any of the rounds clash with the btcc tho.

What about paul o'neill for the seat. He is a good driver I hope he gets a chance with a team before the seasons out

Marc W
10th July 2007, 15:22
Gareth has posted a reply on the offical BTCC forum which lays some of the false speculation to rest;

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=46850#post46850

VkmSpouge
10th July 2007, 16:23
Howell saying he has the budget to compete is good news, hopefully he can pick up a drive somewhere.

Captain VXR
10th July 2007, 16:49
Maybe he will join VXR, Arkas or SEAT as they all have spare cars

Ian McC
10th July 2007, 22:28
Gareth has posted a reply on the offical BTCC forum which lays some of the false speculation to rest;

http://www.btcc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=46850#post46850

Thanks for the link :)

Best of luck Gareth in finding a drive, it seems you are long overdue some!

speedy king
11th July 2007, 00:12
Why is everyone assuming he will be replaced? It dosen't work like that, this isn't a works drive. We see drivers struggling at the best of times for money. This is a relatively large independent team with drivers who are their 'customers' they will pay about 7-15 peoples 9 to 5, 40 hour a week wages.

CarlMetro
11th July 2007, 00:16
Why is everyone assuming he will be replaced?

Erm..............because the team manager has said that they will still be running two cars, and I don't care how tallented Matt Alison is, he can't drive two at the same time ;)

speedy king
11th July 2007, 00:37
My bad....

WSRfan82
11th July 2007, 02:42
jona i was just thinking the samething

will howell ever do a full season of BTCC.what does does he have to do to a full season. i think hes only done one in the btc class with team atomic kitten. if you ask me that was unfar on howell not his folt the cars was getting damaged its part of motorsport lol

SEATFreak
11th July 2007, 09:05
Maybe he will join VXR, Arkas or SEAT as they all have spare cars

Their was talk not so long ago about Scott bringing in a third somewhere. But not one time did I think one would become available so soon.

But I think just because Gareth is an available option for the third driver when/if Scott needs him doesn't mean he is the kind of driver Scott wants or he fits in with Scott's plans - whatever they happen to be.

Then theirs his budget. He said on btcc.net he has enough. And I think why waste that budget on a paid works drive? If he has the money for an Independent drive use it.

ATF
11th July 2007, 11:18
Ferrier announced for this weekend and hopefully for the remainder of 2007:

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=622&PHPSESSID=6d3623c7741c3b3afebdbb1319b8923a

Dave B
11th July 2007, 14:30
Then theirs his budget. He said on btcc.net he has enough. And I think why waste that budget on a paid works drive? If he has the money for an Independent drive use it.
I think you're missing the point: if a driver is offered a paid works drive then they wouldn't need to bring a budget. (Of course, not all works drives are paid positions...)

If Gareth or anybody else were offered a works drive that'd currently mean VX or SEAT, both frontrunning race-winning teams. I hardly see them turning that down to pay to race for an Indy.

VkmSpouge
11th July 2007, 14:53
Tom Ferrier is a good driver and is a worthy replacement for Howell at Motorbase.