PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay

veeten
9th July 2007, 13:27
With the use of Hawkeye at Wimbeldon Centre Court this year, instant replay to decide calls on the field gets a wider audience.

Here in the States, instant replay has been used for just about 25 years in the NFL, and for specific cases in Professional Hockey and Basketball games, and also in Collegiate sports. There are still some that have either been hard to design for or just unwilling to implement it for reasons that are mainly personal in nature.

How do you feel about it? Can using this either bring clarity to sporting events in the handling of close or controversial calls, or cause consternation because of interrupting 'the nature of the game'?

Discuss, please. :)

Brown, Jon Brow
9th July 2007, 14:07
I believe that the PremierLeague is introducing goal line technology next year. Usually you have a break in the game when there is a controversial decision as players complain to the referee, so I don't see a problem.

Mark
9th July 2007, 14:34
It's excellent. Since forever you've had arguments about what happened as peoples interpretation of history, even what happened 30 seconds ago, can vary wildly.

Storm
9th July 2007, 15:33
1966 anyone?
Yes goal line technology is very much needed in Football...of course we dont want to turn football into American football with stoppage every 2.3 seconds but all of us want to see fair play...

Like Pedro Mendes scoring that goal against Man U :mad:

janneppi
9th July 2007, 17:22
I'm not sure Footy needs an all out video system, perhaps only in goal situations, if it's used to see if little Johnny was bit offside for the fiftieth time, it lessens the game.