PDA

View Full Version : Car design curious (not meant to be cold-hearted)

Hondo
8th July 2007, 22:58
If a team had the confidence to sign 2 drivers that were double amputees, like Zanardi, to 3-4 year contracts, would the designers and engineers be able to use the space that normally enclosed the legs to gain a signifigant aerodynamic effect, mechanical grip and balance. Maybe a much lower nose, or within wheelbase restrictions, maybe a different axle position or ballast locations?

I've wondered about that since Zanardi test drove the BMW.

What do you engineering types think?

gm99
8th July 2007, 23:16
Well, certainly Zanardi uses his artificial legs when he's racing in WTCC (he actually operates the brake pedal with them), and as far as I know, he's had them on when he tested the BMW.Sauber F1 car last year, so I don't see much of a space advantage there ;)

Valve Bounce
9th July 2007, 01:42
Well, certainly Zanardi uses his artificial legs when he's racing in WTCC (he actually operates the brake pedal with them), and as far as I know, he's had them on when he tested the BMW.Sauber F1 car last year, so I don't see much of a space advantage there ;)

Well, the Fred Flintstone starts wouldn't be an option, that's for sure. :p :

PSfan
9th July 2007, 04:11
judging by the discomfort Webber went threw at the start of the season getting his legs in the latest Newey car, and how that McLeran had difficulties getting Wurz in to race in replacement of Montoya, I suspect that car designers like their drivers shorter the better, and I'm sure you could shave off a few feet by removing legs (not meant to be a pun :p )

However, I believe the FIA have some strict rules regarding the minimum allowed time for a driver to get out of a car, and I'm afraid most leg-less racers my have a hard time getting out of an F1 car fast enough to satisfy the FIA.

SteveA
9th July 2007, 09:12
most leg-less racers my have a hard time getting out of an F1 car fast enough to satisfy the FIA.

I didn't know Al Unser Jr had ever got into an F1 car!

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/al-unser-jr-charged-with-dui-after-las-vegas-crash-231882.php

wmcot
9th July 2007, 09:14
Well, the Fred Flintstone starts wouldn't be an option, that's for sure. :p :

That's cruel! (But still funny in a way - Alex has such a great sense of humor he would probably laugh, too)

Seriously, the openings around the legs could probably be made smaller allowing the cockpit nose to be shrunken and wrapped more tightly.

I do suspect drivers' salaries would rise considerably if they had to have both legs amputated to drive for a team, though!

Mark
9th July 2007, 09:22
Quite simply no, the regs don't allow it.

Dzeidzei
9th July 2007, 09:48
If a team had the confidence to sign 2 drivers that were double amputees, like Zanardi, to 3-4 year contracts, would the designers and engineers be able to use the space that normally enclosed the legs to gain a signifigant aerodynamic effect, mechanical grip and balance. Maybe a much lower nose, or within wheelbase restrictions, maybe a different axle position or ballast locations?

2 notions. FIA rules dont allow anything like this. And 2ndly: the whole question is absurd. Why not take it to extreme and chop off the drivers head? Im sure the helmet is a terrible aerodynamical challenge and being headless would cure it quickly.

And some drivers would be wiser headless. Like a certain south american now driving in the US.

And before you start calling me names, ask yourself could I be joking?

Valve Bounce
9th July 2007, 10:12
That's cruel! (But still funny in a way - Alex has such a great sense of humor he would probably laugh, too)

Seriously, the openings around the legs could probably be made smaller allowing the cockpit nose to be shrunken and wrapped more tightly.

I do suspect drivers' salaries would rise considerably if they had to have both legs amputated to drive for a team, though!

You reckon my comment was cruel!! :eek:

I was greatly upset when I saw Z'Man's accident, and the only way I can compensate for this is to try to lighten any discussion around this topic.

I'll stop here.