PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis confirmed for 2008

Ranger
8th July 2007, 01:34
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60608

tha_jackal
8th July 2007, 03:22
Ive said it in another forum and ill say it again, what a sh*t choice! The only positive i see coming out of this is that all classes will be racing.. Turkey is a MUCH better race track, im spewin that's been given the arse for this Indy/Nascar bullsh*t circuit..

Mach24
8th July 2007, 03:23
Am I correct in assuming MotoGP will be using the oval portion of the track ala F1?

At Assen there were questions raised regarding the safety of the gravel traps, has anyone noticed the concrete walls at Indy.......?

Should be a great spectacle and will certainly achieve the goal of raising the profile of MotoGP in the US. (At the expense of Turkey?)

tha_jackal
8th July 2007, 03:25
And no, they wont be using the oval.. They will be using the F1 track in reverse and adding a chicane at the oval section to avoid it.. That would be suicide! I also imagine they have alot of work to do to get the track up to the safety standards required for MotoGP machines...

Mach24
8th July 2007, 03:34
This is confirming there is no confirmation and there is work to be done to eliminate using the oval.

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~150833.htm

Jackal I agree, why waste a purpose built 'road course' (Turkey) to go to Indy!

I also understand this is purely a marketing tool! Don't sell out on us DORNA!

Mach24
8th July 2007, 03:51
Eurosport are saying Laguna will go to make way for Indy, that'll be a shame also, but makes more sense.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07072007/58/american-gp-indy-laguna.html

T-D
8th July 2007, 04:32
this is GREAT news. laguna is a great race track but terrible for fans. indy is close to me, great for fans and i get to see motogp live.

losing turkey or laguna would suck however.

ShiftingGears
8th July 2007, 08:27
Agh. Its a terrible circuit, and the only good corner is considered too dangerous for the bikes. So in other words, you have another poor circuit added to the calendar. Poor choice.

AndyRAC
8th July 2007, 17:09
I think the reason Turkey is being dropped is because Bernie Ecclestone owns/part owns the track, and the Moto GP races show up the F1 races for what they are, high speed processions!

tha_jackal
9th July 2007, 08:31
F*cking Bernie and F1, what a crock.. Why cant people see how BORING that crap is compared to MotoGP, even WSBK/WSS... Sheeeesh!

ArmchairBikeFan
9th July 2007, 23:23
Apparently the report on Laguna being dropped is wrong, what's really happening is their exclusive contract comes to an end, so they are no longer guaranteed to be the only US round of MotoGP. They're still contracted to have MotoGP at Laguna until at least 2010 or something.
Why on earth would they choose Indianapolis of all places, what a pile of garbage. At least it isn't owned by a poison dwarf, though.

jonny hurlock
10th July 2007, 00:32
if we going to indy, it would not work, like I said in this thread, also the drivers will say no, because the circult is too dangarous for the drivers, remember indy 2004 when Ralf Schumacher hit the wall and missed six races if that happened to moto gp driver that could kill them with that wall, also micheiln hates that track!

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114827

another thing, bernie is an idiot dropping istanbul park off moto gp, istanbul is million times better than indy.

T-D
10th July 2007, 02:57
if we going to indy, it would not work, like I said in this thread, also the drivers will say no, because the circult is too dangarous for the drivers, remember indy 2004 when Ralf Schumacher hit the wall and missed six races if that happened to moto gp driver that could kill them with that wall, also micheiln hates that track!

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114827

another thing, bernie is an idiot dropping istanbul park off moto gp, istanbul is million times better than indy.they are making track modifications that will ensure safety. these include running counter clockwise and bypassing the f1 turn 13. the new track will be the new f1 track as well, so look for a totally different course.

edlalu
11th July 2007, 05:21
I said it when the first rumble about Indy came to light, there has got to be a better road coarse in the US? Leguna? Indy? Come on Dorna! Look at some of the tracks in the rest of the MotoGP season. Beautiful sweeping curving tracks. Short tight scrappy tracks. Are the fair weather US fans going to care about 2008 if Hayden, Hopper, or Edwards don't have the #1 plate? As an American and a MotoGP fan my dream is to attend a race like Valencia or Catalunya. I ain't giving up my vacation time to go to California! BLEH!

The Phantom
11th July 2007, 08:52
'Road America' is a brilliant track, but it's very inaccesible compared to Daytona and Monterey. From what I've seen Road America is the nearest thing to Mt Panorama for elevation changes and challenging corners. Not sure how much run-off there is for bikes though.

T-D
17th July 2007, 02:06
check out the new layout, folks.

http://www.redbullindianapolisgp.com/news/story.php?story_id=9470

ChrisS
17th July 2007, 13:19
I dont know about MotoGP but SBK didnt approve Road America because its too long

Leguna is a great track, one of the best layouts in the world but the facilities need work, Indy on the other hand has some of the best facilities but the layout is nothing special.

Valencia is probably one of the worst tracks in MotoGP and all the people I know (not Spanish) that went a Spanish round all said it was a bad experience because its so crowded its a total chaos

BTW since this is the Red Bull Indianapolis GP does it mean that the US Grand Prix will remain at Leguna?

BobbyC
17th July 2007, 13:24
The Kevin Forbes layout makes fundamental changes and parts of the makeover will be ready in time for the 2008 Indy 500 where the barrier and acceleration lane will receive makeovers for the race.

http://www.indymotogp.com/news/2007/images/motogpcircuit-410-07162007.jpg

ChrisS
17th July 2007, 14:04
the best part of the new race announcement for the US fans should be that this time the smokers are also coming along

Allyc85
17th July 2007, 18:24
this circuit is gonna be so sh** for bikes :(

Corny
17th July 2007, 18:58
it's still far too dangerous on T1, T5, and T16

tha_jackal
18th July 2007, 02:01
it's still far too dangerous on T1, T5, and T16

Too right! Where's the runoff for those corners? Concrete walls? :eek: :eek: Think that needs to be looked at and fixed...

ChrisS
18th July 2007, 15:03
T1 and T5 are OK IMO, if you look at the apex and imagine the line the riders will be using going down there will have the rider sliding in the grass or up the banking and stopping before reaching the wall.

T16 is a problem especially since all the riders will be trying to get out with as much speed as possible into the straight

ArmchairBikeFan
18th July 2007, 20:51
BTW since this is the Red Bull Indianapolis GP does it mean that the US Grand Prix will remain at Leguna?

Yes, Laguna Seca is contracted to be the United States GP for another couple of years at least, that's why they had to call it the Indianapolis GP. The initial rumours that Laguna would be dropped were rubbish.
It's painful to lose the Turkish GP, such a great track, but Indy will certainly help the sport in the U.S. where the Indy brand is so strong.

Rantanamo
19th July 2007, 03:36
You guys talk about runoff. There is as much runoff for T5 as there is anywhere. Indy is absolutely huge and the size of each corner is enormous. Runoff will not be a problem. They could easily add gravel there and it would be the biggest runoff area in all of motogp.

call_me_andrew
19th July 2007, 03:59
Too right! Where's the runoff for those corners? Concrete walls? :eek: :eek: Think that needs to be looked at and fixed...

Just line the wall with hay bails.

IndyCars had been going tail first into that wall (at much faster speeds) long before Ralf got there. That has more to do with the safety features of an F1 car than it does the saftey features of a concrete wall.

T-D
19th July 2007, 04:51
kenny robers, jr, who is on the safety commission calls it safe. that's all i need to know.

NinjaMaster
19th July 2007, 15:00
Just line the wall with hay bails.

:laugh: !!!! Sounds like the Irish road racing where they put hay bails in front of stone walls. Given we are now in the 21st century, an air fence will probably be sufficient for their requirements, so long as the rider doesn't go underneath them.

call_me_andrew
20th July 2007, 08:55
You know, I've never really heard anyone complain about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTW6hiZZas

NinjaMaster
20th July 2007, 11:55
You know, I've never really heard anyone complain about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTW6hiZZas
I guess it's like Isle of Mann and similar road racing, when they grow up racing in those conditions, they just get used to it as the norm. Looks mighty impressive but it's far more dangerous than international circuit racing will stand for these days.

mx311
24th July 2007, 06:38
See, this announcement proves that I don't post pure rubbish all the time, I mentioned this in the rumour mill thread numerous times over the previous 6 months or so. Score one for my sources. :laugh:

Btw, I know not everyone is for this race but I am. MotoGP at Indy is a great thing imo. The track isn't that bad (there are worse) and it's worth it purely for the fact that racing at Indianapolis is a great coup for the marketing department. Oh and the fact the Yanks get to see the 125 and 250's too is a nice gift for them to enjoy. :)

BobbyC
4th August 2007, 02:58
The Snake Pit will slow the bikes considerably after they pass the yard of bricks.

(The "Snake Pit" was a notorious part of the Indianapolis 500 for many years; notorious parties, wild debauchery, and booze-infested careless spectators were seated there during many Indy 500 races before Tony George eliminated it. The 1-2-3-4 complex just after pit lane is positioned inside the old Snake Pit, henceforth the section is often called the Snake Pit complex.)