PDA

View Full Version : Honesty

Hazell B
6th July 2007, 22:20
On wednesday I bought forty sheets of plywood at an auction, along with a load of other building materials. Not having enough room in the trailer for everything, the ply and some clay roof tiles were left on site until this afternoon.

Upon arrival today, the wood had vanished from it's lot place. Gone, no doubt stolen as so much is at auctions these days. About one in every twenty lots vanishes between fall of hammer and collection in the larger outside sites, mainly because auctions can be in vast fields and you can hide smaller lots under large ones. They've had somebody drive in on an old tractor and leave in a twenty grand new one before now :p :

Anyway, as I wandered to the cabin where the porters always make me a cuppa, I spotted my plywood heaped tidily by the gates. All there, not stolen at all.

It seems the vendor took them home by mistake and the second he realised an error had been made, he had sent somebody back almost fifty miles with my lots! It cost him more in fuel than I had paid for the lots, plus a staff member's wage. How honest is that? :)

When was the last time somebody's honesty surprised you?

Eki
6th July 2007, 22:25
Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue
Honesty is hardly ever heard
And mostly what I need from you

Hazell B
8th July 2007, 18:09
My god, nobody sees honesty these days?

You shock me, folks.

Eki
8th July 2007, 18:20
My god, nobody sees honesty these days?

You shock me, folks.
I told you it is a lonely word.

janneppi
8th July 2007, 18:27
When was the last time somebody's honesty surprised you?
When a I found a shirt in the downstairs common laundry room which i had forgotten there for three months. :)

Eki
8th July 2007, 19:25
When a I found a shirt in the downstairs common laundry room which i had forgotten there for three months. :)
That's not honesty, that's disgust. Nobody wanted it.

veeten
8th July 2007, 19:29
Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue
Honesty is hardly ever heard
And mostly what I need from you

Ladies & Gentlemen.... Billy Joel! :D

doing 2 shows nightly this week only... :p :

Eki
8th July 2007, 19:51
Ladies & Gentlemen.... Billy Joel! :D

doing 2 shows nightly this week only... :p :
Correctomundo, veeten.

BDunnell
8th July 2007, 22:49
I can't think of any examples that are notable enough to have surprised me, but neither, on a personal level, have I ever actually experienced dishonesty to any great degree.

Hondo
8th July 2007, 23:23
I see honesty every day where I work. I see very expensive tools, found on site, being locked up in an office or someone's locker until the owner comes back and finds the note explaining where his tools are and gets them returned to him. It's a cold-hearted ******* that would steal a man's way of making a living, Wallets are routinely kept in lunch boxes and not locked up. Cash money in nothing more than an envelope with a person's name on it left on the break table or taped to a locker, either the repayment of a loan or a loan going out, or perhaps a small sports bet being paid off. UPS leaves stuff on my porch and it is never tampered with. My doors are seldom locked and although Sweetie has a deep, resounding bark, everybody in the neighborhood knows she's just a big sweetie. Even the UPS delivery person walks past her.

janneppi
9th July 2007, 07:32
That's not honesty, that's disgust. Nobody wanted it.
Hey now, I had washed it, that's why it was there. :)