PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo Gun Law

Roamy
5th July 2007, 17:04
Australian Gun Law Update (What do you think about this?) Australian Gun Law Update

From: Ed Chenel, A police officer in Australia Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced By a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by Our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent ; Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)! In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns! (This is just what your dad used to say would happen.) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information. The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's too late!

Eki
5th July 2007, 17:36
If that chain email portrays the real situation in Australia, then the Nigerian get-rich-quick emails portray the real situation in Africa.

Schultz
5th July 2007, 18:10
Fousto, i don't know how long this chain email has been going around, but as far as i remember the gun buy-back scheme started in 1997 - one year after the PA massacre. Not only is this information completely untrue, but it is outdated by a good ten years. What a bloody joke!

janneppi
5th July 2007, 18:14
Indeed.
Snopes to the rescue!
POW!, ZIPH! AARRGH!

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

:p :

mountainstar
5th July 2007, 19:51
Well actually I did read somewhere, violent crime in Australia is up threefold since the massive gun cull.

That's always the funny thing, is that the crims never turn their weapons in.

Eki
5th July 2007, 20:39
Well actually I did read somewhere, violent crime in Australia is up threefold since the massive gun cull.

The crims often acquire their guns from the law-abiding citizens by stealing them. And the crims usually just want your money and not your life, it's the madmen who want your life.

Rollo
6th July 2007, 00:00
1. Ed Chenel is a mythical figure and has never existed other than in this email.
2. Homocides due to firearms at a per capita rate are less than 1/15th that of the USA
3. This email has already been addressed on these very forums, and I found the evidence then - I just can't re-find the thread.

The email was then, is now, and still will be pure unadulterated crap. I and possibly every person living in Australia on these forums will probably attest at just how rare gun crime is, in fact it's so rare that if it ever happens it makes the front page of the newspapers.
Of course, y'all can just stay out if you're that afraid. We're just fine in this scary country without the right to firearms protected at law. We wouldn't want scaredy-cats entering this country now would we?

BOO! :eek:

Daniel
6th July 2007, 01:06

Absolute load of rubbish.

Rollo
6th July 2007, 01:44
http://www.aic.gov.au/media/990211.html

Preliminary analysis from the Australian Institute of Criminology for 1997/98 indicates that there were 297 homicide incidents and 311 homicide victims.

Wow 311 homocide victims in a population of 19,000,000 or 1.6 per 100,000. That's... practically negligable?

This is also good for a few yucks:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/homicide/stats-country.htm

Take note indeed. 35 people died which resulted in practical action to rid Australia of guns. Similar legislation would never be even thought of in the USA.

You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information. The Australian experience speaks for itself.
It does. I live in a far safer country than you do :D

millencolin
6th July 2007, 02:34
I and possibly every person living in Australia on these forums will probably attest at just how rare gun crime is, in fact it's so rare that if it ever happens it makes the front page of the newspapers.

Exactly! Couple of weeks ago, one person was tragically killed and 2 more wounded by a bikie with a gun in a melbourne made national news.

When i read that first post i couldnt stop laughing knowing what a load of crap it is. How many aussie's here have actually held a gun, let alone fired one? This e-mail should be put alongside the Nigerian loan scam and the 'double your manhood' emails and placed in the BOLLOCKS pile

ShiftingGears
6th July 2007, 03:18
I and possibly every person living in Australia on these forums will probably attest at just how rare gun crime is, in fact it's so rare that if it ever happens it makes the front page of the newspapers.

Exactly, although I guess you could argue that that comes down to the media insisting on reporting all murder stories that they can find. Well, thats what it feels like anyway.

Jaws
6th July 2007, 04:28
This sounds scarely. Has anyone heard of this Y2K bug that is supposed to be on the way? Apparently it is going to effect our PC's!

oily oaf
6th July 2007, 06:14
The "Double Your Manhood" email is a SCAM! :(
(Lights pipe and hurls "Ti-Nee-Boy" vacuum pump at unprotected skull of cat)

Eki
6th July 2007, 08:09
Exactly! Couple of weeks ago, one person was tragically killed and 2 more wounded by a bikie with a gun in a melbourne made national news.

Actually it made news here in Finland too, but probably just because there was a Dutchman involved. Around the same time, an elderly Dutch tourist was stabbed to death by a junkie in a shopping center in Finland. Before stabbing that tourist, he had already pushed and shoved other people nearby. Just think what could have happened if he had an automatic firearm.

Eki
14th July 2007, 00:04
Wine and cheese can be better weapons of self-defense than firearms. Funny how the police said "The only good thing is they would be able to identify him because they hugged them." I'd say the only good think was no one got hurt:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289234,00.html

Intruder Pulls Gun on Dinner Party, Then Asks for Hugs

Friday, July 13, 2007

WASHINGTON — Washington, D.C., police are baffled by an attempted robbery in the Capitol Hill neighborhood that began with a handgun put to the head of a teenager and ended in a group hug.

It started about midnight on June 16 when a group of friends was finishing a dinner of marinated steaks and jumbo shrimp on the back patio of a District of Columbia home. That's when a hooded man slid through an open gate and pointed a handgun at the head of a 14-year-old girl.

"Give me your money, or I'll start shooting," he said, according to D.C. police and witnesses.

Everyone froze, including the girl's parents. Then one guest spoke.

"We were just finishing dinner," Cristina "Cha Cha" Rowan, 43, told the man. "Why don't you have a glass of wine with us?"

The intruder had a sip of their Chateau Malescot St-Exupery and said, "Damn, that's good wine."

The girl's father, Michael Rabdau, 51, told the intruder to take the whole glass, and Rowan offered him the whole bottle.

The robber, with his hood down, took another sip and a bite of Camembert cheese. He put the gun in his sweatpants.

The story then turns even more bizarre.

"I think I may have come to the wrong house," he said before apologizing. "Can I get a hug?"

Rowan, who works at her children's school and lives in Falls Church, Va., stood up and wrapped her arms around the armed man. The four other guests followed.

"Can we have a group hug?" the man asked. The five adults complied.

The man walked away a few moments later with the crystal wine glass in hand. Nothing was stolen, and no one was hurt.

Once he was gone, the group walked into the house, locked the door and stared at each other — speechless. Rabdau called 911, and police came to take a report and dust for fingerprints.

Police classified the case as strange but true. Investigators have not located a suspect. The witnesses thought he might have been high on drugs.

"We've had robbers that apologize and stuff but nothing where they sit down and drink wine. It definitely is strange," said Cmdr. Diane Groomes, adding that the hugs were especially unusual. "The only good thing is they would be able to identify him because they hugged them."

ShiftingGears
14th July 2007, 05:21
AHAHAHAH, what an awesome story ahahh.