PDA

View Full Version : Stewart,R.Gordon,J.Johnson coming to IRL...and other dreams

AntonGeorge
5th July 2007, 14:47
For most IRL supporters, there has been this common talk about Tony Stewart returning to the series, also included have been former competitor Robby Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson following his childhood wishes by competing in the series. What a pipedream! Although if just 2 of the aforementioned Nascar guys fled to indy it would certainly boost the fan base and increase the ratings and awareness. However, Stewart, who use to profess that HE would return, lately has been quite detached from that. furthermore, any mass exodus from nascar would probably be halted by litigation. There are hopes and dreams for openwheelers to make that style THE preferred style in the US, so it seems that these rumors and speculation fill the gap. I don,t think any nascar guys will be going to indy unless it is the week of the 400, just as the ccws/irl merger(another positive, yet highly unlikely scenario) will be tossed about 1,000 times in 2007. It's not that any of those things wouldn't be the coolest ........so would Jessica Alba and Scarlett Johansson sharing MY love.

Jag_Warrior
5th July 2007, 18:33
File any NASCAR star coming to either open wheel series under "Ain't Gonna Happen".

There are only a handful of (legitimately) paying seats in the two series combined. The best anyone can do is argue that the "cool factor" is higher in single seater formula cars. But if to have to give up a fat salary and merchandising fees, and then pay to drive one, how cool is that?

The most I've heard any of the above named drivers say is that they'd either like to win the Indy 500 (Stewart and R. Gordon), or that they once had dreams of winning the Indy 500 (Jimmie). I haven't heard any of them say the first word about wanting to run in the IRL.

My hope is that some day, a bunch of the younger NASCAR guys (who coulda, shoulda, woulda been in American open wheel) will take some of the spare change in their pockets, buy some old Lolas, Reynards, Eagles and/or Swifts, purchase some club spec engines from Cosworth, and then let the fans into VIR to watch them go at it for an afternoon of goofing around and having fun.

Considering the toys these guys tend to collect, I see that as possible, if not likely. But leaving NASCAR to race in the IRL... uh... would Jessica and Scarlett be wearing schoolgirl uniforms or cheerleader outfits for you? Or would they be wearing tight white t-shirts and you invite them in out of the cold rain?

AntonGeorge
5th July 2007, 19:00
Stewart had said ina 2005 speedtv'swindtunnel appearance that after he is "done" in nascar , he would like to return and race the season in an indycar, that would give him the best possibility of winning the 500, I still think he was blowing "smoke" to fans and Dave Despain. Robby said he would not race in the series untill the "Danica - weight" issue was resolved. The notion , as I said earlier is just a far-fetched cry from IRL fans, who long to see the sport return to its former glory.................................OH YEAH , I love the schoolgirl angle, Britney Spears has built an entire career on "One More Time" video. Alba would be mmmmm...........

CCFanatic
5th July 2007, 19:27
Stewart had said ina 2005 speedtv'swindtunnel appearance that after he is "done" in nascar , he would like to return and race the season in an indycar, that would give him the best possibility of winning the 500, I still think he was blowing "smoke" to fans and Dave Despain. Robby said he would not race in the series untill the "Danica - weight" issue was resolved. The notion , as I said earlier is just a far-fetched cry from IRL fans, who long to see the sport return to its former glory.................................OH YEAH , I love the schoolgirl angle, Britney Spears has built an entire career on "One More Time" video. Alba would be mmmmm...........

When Tony is done with NASCAR, he will be what? 40-42?

Alexamateo
5th July 2007, 20:54
When Tony is done with NASCAR, he will be what? 40-42?

If you are implying that he will be "over the hill", just remember these drivers

Mario Andretti, Champ at age 44, race winner at age 53
Emerson FIttipaldi, Champ at 42, race winner at 47
AJ Foyt, Champ at 44, race winner at 46
Johnny Rutherford, Champ at 42, race winner at 48
Al Unser Champ at 46, race winner at 48
Bobby Unser, Champ at 40, race winner at 47

OW needs drivers to have long careers and be a destination series if it ever hopes to regain it's former stature. Paul Tracy should retire because he's going to be 40? Nah, he needs to race at least 10 more years.

Jonesi
5th July 2007, 21:09
snip... furthermore, any mass exodus from nascar would probably be halted by litigation. snip...

I can't imagine any possible litigation that could stop it, once driver/team/sponsor was pissed off enough to want to leave the golden goose. If there ever was an exodus from nascar it most likely would be started because of litigation. If AT&T loses their suit with Nascar I could easily see them say to RCR "If Nascar doesn't want us, we'll go somewhere that does. Here's $30mil sponsorship find a series (IRL/CC/ALMS/NHRA/etc) to run in and we'll even sponsor the series for another $30mil a year." Threatening to suspend drivers for tech issues could really blow up in Nascar's face, if they take their sponsor $ to another series for a month or so.

Jag_Warrior
5th July 2007, 21:40

Well, many of us long to see the sport return to its former glory. Me, h#ll, I've about given up on anything past upper level club racing at this point, but I still keep a lil flame of hope alive.

Stewart likes that money. Stewart likes that fame. Stewart likes that competition... that NASCAR brings. When they called him to the trailer and tanned his britches a few months ago, he could have jumped ship (planned it anyway) or done what he did: lower his head and say that he was sorry for being a bad lil race car boy.

He can race in NASCAR easily into his late 40's or maybe early 50's... as long as he still has some spark and drive. By the time he's ready to retire, one or the other (or both) of the current O/W series will be gone, IMO.

The schoolgirl thing works, but consider the subtle possibilites of cold rain and tighty-whities. ;)

Spiderman
5th July 2007, 22:51
Threatening to suspend drivers for tech issues could really blow up in Nascar's face, if they take their sponsor $ to another series for a month or so.
No, that would teams make respecting the technical rules, like in f1. If a car is illegal it will be disqualifyed. Two years ago Honda was banned for two races because of an illegal car. When they know they get penalized, they try don't breaking the rules... F1 has not problems with it like NASCAR.

Jag_Warrior
6th July 2007, 03:48
I can't imagine any possible litigation that could stop it, once driver/team/sponsor was pissed off enough to want to leave the golden goose. If there ever was an exodus from nascar it most likely would be started because of litigation. If AT&T loses their suit with Nascar I could easily see them say to RCR "If Nascar doesn't want us, we'll go somewhere that does. Here's $30mil sponsorship find a series (IRL/CC/ALMS/NHRA/etc) to run in and we'll even sponsor the series for another $30mil a year." Threatening to suspend drivers for tech issues could really blow up in Nascar's face, if they take their sponsor $ to another series for a month or so.

With all due respect, Jonesi, why would AT&T (or anybody else) offer the same level of sponsorship to go to series that have perhaps a 1/10th the sponsor value of NASCAR Nextel Cup? For $60 million, they could enter at least one car in each of those series you mentioned and act as title sponsor for both the IRL and CCWS.

And the combined sponsor values probably still wouldn't equal what they get in NASCAR. Sad, isn't it?

ACTF_ZETT
6th July 2007, 15:15
Incredible how some people forget the past. Rewind to as recent as 1992, what is more popular, IRL or NASCAR? That was not long ago at all. It is only a matter of time before the tide turns and the nations number 1 racing series will change again.

The way things are going lately this could happen sooner than you may think. NASCAR is making some bad choices that is really getting "real" NASCAR fans upset. Now with the recent talk that they are seriously discussing moving the Daytona 500 to November, trust me, thats going to start some fires.

Why does Roger Penske and Chip attend every IRL race? Why is nearly every innovation (safety or technical) started in the Indy Car series?

IRL crowds are growing again, and even though they have a long way to go, and some of the choices being made by the IRL are not too great either, the tide will turn again.

Lee Roy
6th July 2007, 15:30
IRL crowds are growing again,

This fits well into a thread with ". . . . and other dreams" in the title.

BTW, the talk about moving the Daytona 500 was reported by someone named "Captain Racing Thunder". :rolleyes:

Jag_Warrior
6th July 2007, 17:30
Incredible how some people forget the past. Rewind to as recent as 1992, what is more popular, IRL or NASCAR? That was not long ago at all. It is only a matter of time before the tide turns and the nations number 1 racing series will change again.

The way things are going lately this could happen sooner than you may think. NASCAR is making some bad choices that is really getting "real" NASCAR fans upset. Now with the recent talk that they are seriously discussing moving the Daytona 500 to November, trust me, thats going to start some fires.

Why does Roger Penske and Chip attend every IRL race? Why is nearly every innovation (safety or technical) started in the Indy Car series?

IRL crowds are growing again, and even though they have a long way to go, and some of the choices being made by the IRL are not too great either, the tide will turn again.

With all due respect, ACTF_ZETT, you are revising history here. The IRL did not even exist in 1992. And even CART IndyCar was not more popular than NASCAR in 1992 (going by TV ratings). Maybe you're talking about the Indy 500 vs. the Daytona 500? There, you would be correct. Indy did have higher ratings than Daytona in the early through the mid-90's. But the year of the very first IRL/Indy 500 saw a 21% ratings drop from the previous year. That is the year (1996) that they swapped places and Daytona has been pulling away from Indy ever since. Today, the Indy 500's ratings are roughly those of the average NASCAR race. That is not fantasy or wishful thinking... that is factual. Now the race stands at a roughly 50% loss of TV ratings from where it was prior to the split (which has gutted both series).

I cannot see this growth that you claim. You'll have to help me with that. Where are you finding this data?

As for your statement: "...nearly every innovation (safety or technical) started in the Indy Car series." I know of the Safer Barrier. So, I can give you one safety innovation. What technical innovations are you speaking of? Some might say that the Incredible Invisible Fan might be one, but I think they're just being sarcastic ;) . Seriously, what innovations, safety or otherwise, are you speaking of?

As for Roger and Chip... they've both been attending the open wheel events for the past 15 years or so (a LOT longer in Roger's case). But they also attend NASCAR and sports car events. I'm not sure what your point is there. Again, please clarify.

There is nothing wrong with holding out hope until the last man falls. I would not criticise anyone for that. But please use facts. Otherwise it comes off as "The South will rise again!"... "Elvis is still alive!"... "Jag_Warrior will have a love child with Salma Hayek!"

Now, one of those ^^^ is true. Can you figure out which one? Honest! One of them is true. I just know that it is! :o

I've been hearing about the IRL's "breakout year" for a decade plus. I haven't seen it yet. In fact, the ratings have actually gone down since it started. Both series yammer about crowd growth. Both series use Enron accounting in their press releases. Both series have hopeful fans who speak about the Great Victory, which is JUST around the corner. I'm a seeing is believing kinda guy. And I ain't seen it yet. Neither a glimmer nor a whiff... It seems that very few still care what either open wheel series does. It is :(

A lot of those same people are saying that NASCAR's failure is right around the corner too. IMO, NASCAR very well may have peaked in regard to TV ratings. But peaking and falling on its face are two entirely different things. And the Daytona 500 moving its date? Again, if I see it happen, THEN I'll believe it.

But nearly anything is possible. The next time my phone rings... heck, it might be Salma. :dozey:

Alexamateo
6th July 2007, 19:17
I believe what ACTF is trying to say is that if there is an Indycar race and Nascar race in conflict, they are at the Indycar race. This is probably true since it is their first love so to speak.

"Jag_Warrior will have a love child with Salma Hayek!"

Jag, this post is in error, it should read "Alexamateo will have love child with Salma Hayek" :p :

Mark in Oshawa
7th July 2007, 07:11
You guys can have Salma, I will just have a wild night with Charlize Theoron!!!!

Seriously though, the IRL has done well to stablize things. Many people thought they were turning for the worse a few years ago. That said, the questions are out there, and will remain out there. As long as their are two series in a marketplace demanding only one, with the best of both, neither side will totally win. It cant happen.

The 500 is NOT what it used to be, only a fool or a TG Kool Aid club member would say otherwise, and the ratings, and paid attendance for the 500 related events and the race itself are not what they were in 1992 or so. The racing isn't bad, and the series isn't bad, but there is a stain and odour of the artificial construct from the beginning of the IRL. This schism shouldn't have happened, and you can point fingers all day, but racing is poorer for it.

As for Tony Stewart or any other NASCAR guys coming home to the IRL, well dream on. T-stew and Robby Gordon both did the "double" as one offs, but I suspect with the demands of a NASCAR season, it is just too much to ask them to do it again, and now, as years go buy, they realize that OW is just too much a sideshow to be bothered with now. Not only that, once you win a Brickyard 400, it sort of takes the sting of not winning a 500 out of things. I think Tony is happier now than he has been in year's past, (if Tony is ever happy when he isn't winning) and by the time he hits his 40's, he will be not looking to do Indy except maybe as a one time thing, and he will have lost something by then.

Alex, your point is well taken of all the Indy veterans winning the race in their 40's, but that was then, this is now. Back then, young guys never saw good cars until they hit their 30's. Now, 19 year old Marco Andretti is placed in a front row quality car with all the resources possible. Young drivers vs old drivers in the same equipment means the young and bold will win more often than not....it is a different world of racing now. I don't think the old guys WANT to compete any more either....AJ and the boys did it because they didn't have any other way of earning a living in their 40's. Nowadays, most of the guys have the money to quit in their 30's....

mikeearle
7th July 2007, 18:35
IF AT&T wanted to get some exposure outside of NASCAR they could easily take the 60M of theirs and dangle it in front of KK and TG and say ok boys, here is the series sponsorship you both want but neither of you can have it seperately... bring the series together and I will be title sponsor and throw buckets of $$ at it for say 5 years... AT&T becomes the hero for 'forcing' the 2 sides together and needless to say it would generate a big pile of bizz... I can dream but I do think it will be something like this that ultimately forces the two sides back together again.

Chris R
7th July 2007, 20:58
I've been noticing lately how bad NASCAR seemsto be for driver's health... Look how big these guys get - even Kurt Busch has put on the pouinds... Their punishing schedule has got to give them a crappy diet and little opportunity to exercise.....

My point is - someone who has been on the NASCAR trail for 10 years or more is not likely to be fit enough to be competitive in an Indycar - or slender enough to fit in one anyhow.....

CCFanatic
10th July 2007, 00:27
I've been noticing lately how bad NASCAR seemsto be for driver's health... Look how big these guys get - even Kurt Busch has put on the pouinds... Their punishing schedule has got to give them a crappy diet and little opportunity to exercise.....

My point is - someone who has been on the NASCAR trail for 10 years or more is not likely to be fit enough to be competitive in an Indycar - or slender enough to fit in one anyhow.....

That is lol. Robbie was small enough to fit in a car at Indy a few years ago. But Tony, whow. That guy needs to lay off the potato chips. But in Indy Car, look at Marty Roth, he is a pretty big guy and he fits in a IRL car okay. Mikey gained some pounds after leaving the car in 2003, and he fit in the car this year. I think with Nascar, like you said, the drivers are so busy with racing and testing, as well as sponsorship comitments, that they do not have time to work out.

call_me_andrew
10th July 2007, 00:36
I think it's possible that drivers from NASCAR may move to OW. However, I'm refering to drivers like the Busch brothers. Their detractors outnumber their fans, and they're always in troubble for doing something incredibly stupid.

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2007, 23:11

Tony Stewart would be fast no matter what.....

They don't have to worry about weight in NASCAR, so they don't. It just is that simple....

AS for the size of guys fitting in, I don't know about the Dallara, but I did read that the Panoz boys designed the DP-01 to fit a stocky build like Paul Tracy ( a not so svelte 190 lbs.) and someone as tall as Justin Wilson (6'4" I believe). It is possible to design a car to fit real people ya know...

CCFanatic
10th July 2007, 23:20
I think it's possible that drivers from NASCAR may move to OW. However, I'm refering to drivers like the Busch brothers. Their detractors outnumber their fans, and they're always in troubble for doing something incredibly stupid.

But the Busch Bros are known for being super agressive drivers. And their agressiveness leads to contact and crashes. Do you want two drivers that have zero experience in open wheel and with fenders are crash prone, in a series were disasterous crashes are almost common place? To not risk any lives, I would think that is a very bad idea.

call_me_andrew
11th July 2007, 00:38
But the Busch Bros are known for being super agressive drivers. And their agressiveness leads to contact and crashes. Do you want two drivers that have zero experience in open wheel and with fenders are crash prone, in a series were disasterous crashes are almost common place? To not risk any lives, I would think that is a very bad idea.

First of all, Kurt Busch did test with a Champ Car team once.
Second, when you factor in how few starters each race normally has, it's not like there are a lot of lives to be lost.

Lee Roy
11th July 2007, 14:06
First of all, Kurt Busch did test with a Champ Car team once.

It wasn't so much a test as it was a joy ride.