PDA

View Full Version : Staying Friends with Ex's

-Helix-
4th July 2007, 04:26
So one of my Ex's happens to be like.. my best friend. Sad, I know. Recently we've gotten a lot closer though and we talk and see eachother pretty much as often as we can.

But lately I've just thinking that it's really awkward. We broke up years ago which is why it's so weird. It's just recently become odd for me. She used to be the same way after we just broke up but now she's moved on a got a new boyfriend.

It's like I either want more out of it, or I need to get away from her. Neither seems to be an option though. Getting back together is out of the question (even though I still do have feelings for her - she's the only Ex I still talk to and that I still care about) since she has a boyfriend and has moved on from what we used to have.

Getting away from her isn't a very good option either. We both care for eachother and have been through a lot together. Sometimes we even NEED eachother to get through the day. I could not live with myself if I pushed her out of my life, but sometimes I think it's needed.

Anyone else run into similar situations? Advice? Stories? Anything is appreciated.

millencolin
4th July 2007, 04:51
yeah im in a similair situation. im real good friends still with an ex of mine. since we broke up she has a boyfriend right now, and ive had 2 girlfriends since then (neither relationship wasnt that long)... my advice just stay friends and nothing else. keep on the lookout for other gals, mention that you are interested in other gals... that way your relationship will be more like a proper friendship.

oh and dont get drunk together... cause if your like me you'll hook up with the ex :P: AWKWARD!!!

-Helix-
4th July 2007, 05:30
yeah im in a similair situation. im real good friends still with an ex of mine. since we broke up she has a boyfriend right now, and ive had 2 girlfriends since then (neither relationship wasnt that long)... my advice just stay friends and nothing else. keep on the lookout for other gals, mention that you are interested in other gals... that way your relationship will be more like a proper friendship.

oh and dont get drunk together... cause if your like me you'll hook up with the ex :P: AWKWARD!!!

Wow, thats almost exactly identical to me. Haha. I've had two girlfriends since then too, neither being very serious or very long relationships.

She's been together with her boyfriend now for awhile.

And I hear you on the drunk together thing.. It's fun while it's happening but the next morning you're just like.. "... what did I do?" haha.

slinkster
4th July 2007, 13:43
My experience: relationships/friendships like this = potential time bomb.

Just be wary... sometimes it's best to move on from things like this to avoid hurt. But time will tell I guess.

Malbec
5th July 2007, 00:14
So one of my Ex's happens to be like.. my best friend. Sad, I know. Recently we've gotten a lot closer though and we talk and see eachother pretty much as often as we can.

But lately I've just thinking that it's really awkward. We broke up years ago which is why it's so weird. It's just recently become odd for me. She used to be the same way after we just broke up but now she's moved on a got a new boyfriend.

It's like I either want more out of it, or I need to get away from her. Neither seems to be an option though. Getting back together is out of the question (even though I still do have feelings for her - she's the only Ex I still talk to and that I still care about) since she has a boyfriend and has moved on from what we used to have.

Getting away from her isn't a very good option either. We both care for eachother and have been through a lot together. Sometimes we even NEED eachother to get through the day. I could not live with myself if I pushed her out of my life, but sometimes I think it's needed.

Anyone else run into similar situations? Advice? Stories? Anything is appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation as you, though my ex hasn't had any bfs since me while I've been out with one girl since.

IMHO you'll get more out of just staying best friends, after all you got to like each other for a reason, just follow everyone elses advice and make sure you remain friends and nothing more!

Galveston dunes
5th July 2007, 01:08
I too have become friends with an ex. However in my case we were friends long before we got hitched.then After the two kids went to college we seperated for a while then devorced , lost contact when we both started new relationships. We met again and things are ok;
so this is my advice- If shes playing old games on you then bail, because without the sex a whipping post isn't much fun and with the sex it only messes everything up for both of you..If shes playing games with the new guy then its only a matter of time [if hes smart] before he dumps her then you become more involved than your probally able or ready to.Old friends can help and listen but if its a one way street or your being abused get away-far away.
Good Luck

Rudy Tamasz
5th July 2007, 08:14
My advice is to stay away from your exes. It will always look like you have some unfinished business between you two and there will always be that awkward feeling in the air. Once I parted with my long term girlfriend and then in a while after a nice vacation I invited her to my place. The official reason was to show her my suntan... ;) and you know the rest. Then she thought I wanted her back, which wasn't the case. It took quite a bit of time and effort to set things straight. If you broke up with her, that's that and stay away from each other.

Vivianita
6th July 2007, 05:02
It's a difficuls situation. I have the same problem. My ex boyfriend is my best friend and I am his best friend. We broke up a year ago and neither me or him has had any relationship since that. It's difficult because this friendship hasn't allowed me go get over him... I still have feelings for him and, sometimes, I think he still have feelings for me too. I could not get apart from him because I love him very much and he is very special to me... so, I just decided to go with the flow, let the time decide what should we do :)

millencolin
6th July 2007, 07:23
so, I just decided to go with the flow, let the time decide what should we do :)

lol get him drunk! that'll work :p :

Alcohol, the cause, and solution, to all of life's problems...

Vivianita
6th July 2007, 13:25
lol get him drunk! that'll work :p :

Alcohol, the cause, and solution, to all of life's problems...

LOL! Well... cool, I haven't thought about it bot now that I do, it's a good option :D