PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Busch Series losing Busch as a sponsor

Lee Roy
18th December 2006, 18:55
http://www.jayski.com/busch/busch.htm

UPDATE 2: Anheuser-Busch will no longer serve as title sponsor of NASCAR's #2 series after 2007, Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal reports. Anheuser-Busch's contract with NASCAR for the NASCAR Busch Series comes to an end after 2007, and NASCAR officials say the cost to sponsor the series will go up. Tony Ponturo, Anheuser-Busch's vice president of global media and sports marketing, told the SBJ that it was his company's decision to withdraw from the sponsorship. SBJ reports that industry sources are estimating the new sponsorship deal could be worth more than $30 million a year, which is three times what Anheuser-Busch is paying.(SceneDaily.com)(12-18-2006)
UPDATE 3: According to the SportsBusiness Journal, Subway, Wal-Mart and Samsung "are expected to make strong plays for the title deal."(FoxSports.com)(12-18-2006)

Jonesi
18th December 2006, 19:23
The $10 mil a year deal that A-B had, has been a bargain the last few years. Don't know if the series is worth $30 mil, but Nascar will probably get it. Hope they put much of it into the race purse, since last place Cup usually gets about the same as first place Busch (at the same track/same weekend).

Subaru WRX
18th December 2006, 20:03
so the 2nd division will be named what in 2007 ??

Lee Roy
18th December 2006, 20:06

'Busch's contract with NASCAR for the NASCAR Busch Series comes to an end after 2007. . . .'

Mark in Oshawa
19th December 2006, 01:39
I think they will get it. They likely have a company out there with an open check book who has told NASCAR that they would like to jump in there. Busch probably looked at what they get for their money and decided to get out. I would suspect something will be said soon....

ykiki
19th December 2006, 01:51
I'm just trying to imagine a statement like "Here's the new Nextel Cup driver just up from dominating the Samsung Series"

harvick#1
19th December 2006, 05:03

The Cingular Cup :s

RaceFanStan
19th December 2006, 06:07
I'm thinking it could become the Coca-Cola Series in 2008. :D

Speedworx
19th December 2006, 08:22
It won't be the same calling it something else.

RaceFanStan
19th December 2006, 15:25
The cost of being a team sponsor keeps increasing, it stands to reason that the series sponsor cost would also increase.
NA$CAR is also taking full advantage of it's high popularity & milking all the money they can get from a sponsor.

I hope the sponsor's money is enough to satisfy NA$CAR's greed because if it isn't the fans will be milked next. :s

muggle not
19th December 2006, 16:36
The fans always pay. Sponsors don't put up the big bucks if they don't get a return back from the fans.

RaceFanStan
19th December 2006, 20:47
That is true, advertising costs are added to product cost. :s

GWP29
20th December 2006, 02:29
Wellllllll Its been awhile since I piped in ! However With ESPN going to cover all the BGN races this year it will definitly help Na$car get a sponser.
The big question is why is Busch pulling out? I think its because they don't like what the Series is becoming. I was getting really bored watching the BGN races this past year.I really want to see the BGN boys race not a bunch of Cup drivers beating up on the little kids. And yeah I have heard it all before if ya wanna beat the best ya gotta race the best Yadda yadda yadda.
If they were all on a level field I woudn't mind, but you have Cup teams going against BGN 2nd rate teams it just aint fair.
Well there is my 2cents now its time to get off my soap box.

oldhippie
20th December 2006, 03:26
espn will be great

Jonesi
20th December 2006, 04:10
espn will be great

It won't be ESPN, all Busch races will be on ESPN2.

RaceFanStan
20th December 2006, 04:17
ESPN or ESPN2 whatever, it doesn't matter, it will like going home. :D

harvick#1
20th December 2006, 04:30
I thought some races will be on ABC as well

Sparky1329
20th December 2006, 05:39
Wellllllll Its been awhile since I piped in ! However With ESPN going to cover all the BGN races this year it will definitly help Na$car get a sponser.
The big question is why is Busch pulling out? I think its because they don't like what the Series is becoming. I was getting really bored watching the BGN races this past year.I really want to see the BGN boys race not a bunch of Cup drivers beating up on the little kids. And yeah I have heard it all before if ya wanna beat the best ya gotta race the best Yadda yadda yadda.
If they were all on a level field I woudn't mind, but you have Cup teams going against BGN 2nd rate teams it just aint fair.
Well there is my 2cents now its time to get off my soap box.

You won't get an argument from me on your post.

Robert Ryan
20th December 2006, 09:40
I have heard of WalMart being mentioned. Another Busch related item is Scott Dixon will be testing for a Busch ride.

carrera66
20th December 2006, 20:00
The Wal-mart Series? Just doesn't seem right.

Lee Roy
20th December 2006, 20:51
Yeah, people complained that the NEXTEL Cup didn't sound right either, but . . . . . .

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/12/01/champ.week.friday/index.html

harvick#1
20th December 2006, 21:12
Nextel Cup sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

bring back Winston

GWP29
20th December 2006, 22:16
Yeah, people complained that the NEXTEL Cup didn't sound right either, but . . . . . .

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/12/01/champ.week.friday/index.html
And I am sure there were people ho said that The Busch series didnt sound right either.

Robert Ryan
20th December 2006, 22:43
Yes you are right Walmart sounds a bit odd. Other Busch news that will be announced soon:Marcos Ambrose will be doing a mininum of 3 up to 10races in NEXTEL CUP in 2007, using the Team Australia livery, he will also do the full Busch schedule with the Wood Brothers as well.

Sparky1329
20th December 2006, 22:53
Walmart sucks eggs. The Walton family is probably one of the only American families that's wealthier than the France family. There's nothing redeeming about their business practices either. Very disappointing.

harvick#1
20th December 2006, 23:54
yet people still go to walmart for all their stuff, and now they are expanding everything with food to full automotive maintanence :mark:

RaceFanStan
21st December 2006, 02:58
Wouldn't it be a hoot if Preparation H became the series sponsor ? :laugh:

harvick#1
21st December 2006, 03:08
"hey how did you get tickets to the Tampon 300?"

"well we pulled some strings" Larry the Cable guy :laugh:

RaceFanStan
21st December 2006, 03:13
:laugh: :up:

carrera66
21st December 2006, 14:10
So instead of the Busch wackers, it'll be the Wal-mart wackers?

RaceFanStan
21st December 2006, 14:37

I still don't like the name Nextel Cup no matter what the media says I think. :rolleyes:

Lee Roy
21st December 2006, 14:43
I still don't like the name Nextel Cup no matter what the media says I think. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about it too much Stan, I'm sure that the teams are happy with all the money that NEXTEL brings in. ;) ;)

Alexamateo
21st December 2006, 14:57
Well that's the problem with naming after sponsors? Sponsors aren't forever and it loses continuity. The trucks don't/won't have that problem because they are "the trucks" Most of us have taking to calling the top division "the Cup cars" and it works with either Winston or Nextel or whatever they'll call them in the future. (Isn't the Nextel Name supposed to go away soon?) But What are the Busch cars? They were once part of the old sportsman division, Are they Sportsman cars? DO we go back to Grand National? (which of course were the original Cup cars, but that's a whole another discussion) What do we call NASCAR's second division to ensure a continuous history?

Lee Roy
21st December 2006, 15:25
What do we call NASCAR's second division to ensure a continuous history?

A continuous history is a continuous history. Names don't mean anything when it comes to that.

tassiedevilAB
21st December 2006, 16:20
the title sounds iffy, but the wal mart pit girls should look niffty!

carrera66
21st December 2006, 16:33
Hot chicks in blue smocks... nice!

tassiedevilAB
21st December 2006, 16:54
yea, that's why i said niffty, not hot chicks, but i still remember those playboy wal mart shots. didn't most of the girls get sacked over playboys feature pics. didn't see any blue smocks then!

Alexamateo
21st December 2006, 17:23
A continuous history is a continuous history. Names don't mean anything when it comes to that.

OK Joe Bob :D

Lee Roy
21st December 2006, 17:27
OK Joe Bob :D

Do you know Joe Bob? He posts over on TrackForum. I'm actually a big fan of his. Thanks. :D

Alexamateo
21st December 2006, 17:31
I check out TrackForum too and I see you there. They're kindof Anti-Nascar there but you more than hold your own. (especially since facts are on your side :) )

harvick#1
21st December 2006, 20:46
"hey how did you get tickets to the Tampon 300?"

"well we pulled some strings" Larry the Cable guy :laugh:

:laugh: I got quite a bit of rep for this