PDA

View Full Version : Stoner vs. Rossi - the possible point outcomes

The Phantom
2nd July 2007, 09:15
OK I did the sums. Too hard to extrapolate for placings other than first or second for these guys, so that's what we use.

Current points:

Stoner - 185

Rossi - 164

Here's how the "Stoner for Champion" outcome could look; just three or more
wins out of nine races and and he has the title in the bag - so long as when
he doesn't win he comes second (of course if Rossi has a bad day then Stoner
can afford to drop down the order in one race too).

Stoner for 3 race wins and 6 second places - 380 final points

Rossi for 6 race wins and 3 second places - 374 final points

Now for the "Rossi for Champion" outcome. He has a lot to do... I can't see
Stoner not winning at least another three races!

Rossi for 7 race wins and 2 second places - 379 final points

Stoner for 2 race wins and 7 second places - 375 final points

It's the minor placings that will make or break either of these guys, which
is why the recent improvement by the likes of Hayden, Hopkins, Pedrosa and
Edwards (especially Edwards!) is of such importance... where's Capirossi when
you need him???

leopard
2nd July 2007, 11:50
The two of them have the big task on the title, the doctor is now back in business, and Stoner is the most immune rider against injection of the Doctor, strong.

jim mcglinchey
2nd July 2007, 15:41
where's Capirossi when
you need him???

he's still on paternity leave forgawdsake...well if not in body, certainly in mind.

osg
2nd July 2007, 20:55
he's still on paternity leave forgawdsake...well if not in body, certainly in mind.

so true ..... so true. To see such a gritty character go soft makes me sad :(

ArmchairBikeFan
2nd July 2007, 21:27
Things are looking good for the little Aussie.
I saw a list of the guys who have won as many races at the start of the season as Stoner has, it was full of people like Hailwood, Agostini, Sheene, King Kenny Roberts, Doohan and so forth. The stats are on Casey's side, but Rossi is Rossi, so who knows?

Crypt
2nd July 2007, 22:45
This is turning out to be yet another great season. The battle for the top spot will no doubt be close and nail-biting. It's the excitement of watching the Doc doing the impossible, or Stoner showing he can beat him.

Either way you look at it, it's the best racing out there IMO.

My pick for champ? It's going to have to be Rossi if Yamaha can keep his bike tip-top. No one can match him when his bike is "on", Assen was the prime example of this. Good grief!

1st September 2007, 23:13
Early in the season, there was a widespread belief that Stoner's remarkable performances were down to the bike. However, as the season's progressed, the critics have progressively been put back in their boxes.

This young bloke is such an extraordinary master-craftsman with abilities on par with Valentino Rossi who has kept raising the bar over the years and continues riding on the edge.

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings and we're in for some exciting racing over the rest of the season with a few other riders achieving better results on ever-improving hardware.

Good luck to Stoner and Rossi in their quest for the '07 crown.

patnicholls
2nd September 2007, 00:43
Obviously, I'm not much of a populist (aside from aiming to make this forum more popular :) ), hence why I write articles about James Ellison, Shuhei Aoyama's 2006 season, and other such obscurities. So usually I don't pass much comment on Valentino and Casey, as everyone else does that.

Everything's come together brilliantly for Casey this year. The Bridgestones have got the upper hand [upper wheel?] on Michelin. The Ducati is a peach - the particularly genius bit of it is the traction control and electronics controlling the engine - think about previous Dukes that had a lot of power but could barely handle... This one is the quickest thing out there and has also been supreme at twisty tracks we thought they'd struggle at by tradition (Le Mans in the wet, Donington to name but two) as well as tracks with long straights. Electronic wizardry written all over it, which also means the riders won't crash as much. However, the one thing putting it all in place is that #27, as Claudio Domenicalli regularly attests to in interviews. A well-funded team around him, married and so much happier, bike working well - all in place to help Casey ride near-perfectly this season. In bike racing, the rider is always the most important bit.

Mach24
2nd September 2007, 01:05
This young bloke is such an extraordinary master-craftsman with abilities on par with Valentino Rossi who has kept raising the bar over the years and continues riding on the edge.

Stoner's talent can not be mistaken, but lets wait until he has 4 or 5 World Championships under his belt before we start comparing him to arguably the finest motorcycle racer of all time.

Perhaps at the end of his career he will have a record fit to compare with Valentino Rossi.....

ozrevhead
2nd September 2007, 01:17
Obviously, I'm not much of a populist (aside from aiming to make this forum more popular :) ), hence why I write articles about James Ellison, Shuhei Aoyama's 2006 season, and other such obscurities. So usually I don't pass much comment on Valentino and Casey, as everyone else does that.

Everything's come together brilliantly for Casey this year. The Bridgestones have got the upper hand [upper wheel?] on Michelin. The Ducati is a peach - the particularly genius bit of it is the traction control and electronics controlling the engine - think about previous Dukes that had a lot of power but could barely handle... This one is the quickest thing out there and has also been supreme at twisty tracks we thought they'd struggle at by tradition (Le Mans in the wet, Donington to name but two) as well as tracks with long straights. Electronic wizardry written all over it, which also means the riders won't crash as much. However, the one thing putting it all in place is that #27, as Claudio Domenicalli regularly attests to in interviews. A well-funded team around him, married and so much happier, bike working well - all in place to help Casey ride near-perfectly this season. In bike racing, the rider is always the most important bit.
Well written post there - are you sure your in the right forum :p

Ive always believe that MotoGP is 1/2 the bike/tire package and 1/2 rider skills and form.....the fact that motogp is more rider orientated than most if not all motorsport makes it appealing! Its the package and I dont think one is more or less important than the other.

I read Rossi & his fanboys/girls whinge about tires/bike and even some nutrals asking that - it get me riled because it's a blantent disrespect of Casey and his abilties.

Further more Rossi was winning like this and it was great - someone else does it and its boring. Its only boring when its not YOUR rider isnt in front!!!...What is boring about seeing a future superstar in the making? Whats so boring about someone beating Rossi at his own game?

Wim_Impreza
2nd September 2007, 18:45
Further more Rossi was winning like this and it was great - someone else does it and its boring. Its only boring when its not YOUR rider isnt in front!!!...What is boring about seeing a future superstar in the making? Whats so boring about someone beating Rossi at his own game?

Stoner is my favourite driver, but I must say it is boring for me when he is so dominating in the last races.

jim mcglinchey
2nd September 2007, 20:16
To see Ducati stick it to the Japanese manufacturers who have dominated the blue riband event for over 30 years, and to see someone other than Valentino be so winning, is anything but boring. So many begrudgers.

The Phantom
3rd September 2007, 01:01
I watch the racing with a mate who is English and a massive Rossi fan. We've had this discussion many a time this season ;)

We agreed last night that it was different when Rossi was dominating, and the reason we settled on was that Rossi did it in spite of himself - he'd overshoot a corner, or run right off the track, then come back to win. So there was a real spectacle about how he did it. Stoner on the other hand simply does not make mistakes.

I'm enjoying seeing Stoner riding so ruthlessly and perfectly, and always will, but it'll be nice to see the other riders challenging him.

Jim, good point - last Euro manufacturer to take the premier title was MV Agusta in 1973... (Phil Read). It's great to see the most race-focussed bike company doing so well at this level (but let's hope that they don't also turn MotoGP into the Ducati cup, lol).

The Phantom
3rd September 2007, 05:36
Timely quote from Paul Denning (Rizla Suzuki Team Manager) following Misano:

"Rizla Suzuki would also like to congratulate Casey Stoner on another unbelievable performance today. There has been a lot of nonsense spoken in MotoGP this year regarding tyre regulations, engine performance, etc. etc. I believe that the difference at the moment is Casey and we're focusing our best efforts to improve our own performance to beat him and that's what everybody should be doing at this time!"

Ranger
3rd September 2007, 08:18
Stoner is my favourite driver, but I must say it is boring for me when he is so dominating in the last races.

And we have a winner! :D

But my first season of watching MotoGP was in 2006, so the bar was raised very high. :D

osg
3rd September 2007, 10:25
Timely quote from Paul Denning (Rizla Suzuki Team Manager) following Misano:

"Rizla Suzuki would also like to congratulate Casey Stoner on another unbelievable performance today. There has been a lot of nonsense spoken in MotoGP this year regarding tyre regulations, engine performance, etc. etc. I believe that the difference at the moment is Casey and we're focusing our best efforts to improve our own performance to beat him and that's what everybody should be doing at this time!"

exactly.

ozrevhead
3rd September 2007, 12:27
To see Ducati stick it to the Japanese manufacturers who have dominated the blue riband event for over 30 years, and to see someone other than Valentino be so winning, is anything but boring. So many begrudgers.
here here!!!