PDA

View Full Version : Miller on Wind Tunnell

RGM Fan
2nd July 2007, 03:20
Interesting rumors. Possibly three of the IRL's top five in points gone at the end of the year. Hornish is reportedly NASCAR bound and Weldon wants to go south too. Dario retiring and going to ALMS. ... Sebastien already signed for F-1 ...

Agreed with me that the Richmond race was crap.

Other than that same old baseless speculation of Marco going to NHL. Scott Speed ending up in a Red Bull car at PKV or Forsythe.

My piece of speculation is Wheldon might be heading to CC if Chip won't put him in NASCAR. He says he wants to run infront of packed crowds, and all of CC events are well attended, and there is likely going to be an event, possibly two, in England next year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship to NHL to take Sebass's seat.

If four (including Marco) of the top eight leave where do you think the new crop of the drivers are going to come from? After Alex Lloyd the IPS cupboard is rather shallow. The IRL is going to have a hard time attractings the Atlantics drivers now that ovals are off their schedule, and Euro talent with any F-1 aspirations.

I've got to think it will be journymen replacements like Ryan Brisco and Ronnie Bremmer filling the seats.

F1boat
2nd July 2007, 08:52
Keep dreaming, hater.

Komahawk
3rd July 2007, 13:33
With all that insider information you seem to be getting you should start your own racing news website.

keysersoze
3rd July 2007, 14:50
And he's quite rich in calling Robin out for "baseless speculation" when that is what his entire post consists of. Pot meet kettle.

I love it: "He agreed with me that the Richmond race was crap." What, are you telling me you said it in the media first, then Miller said, "Yeah, I agree with RGM over at AR1 that the Richmod race was crap. He's such a bright lad, that RGM."

Mark in Oshawa
3rd July 2007, 15:22
Everyone loves Miller when he agrees with them, and he is a boob or a jerk when he says something you don't want to hear. Funny though, Miller is pretty much on most stories long before they hit the mainstream press.

Indy500'79
4th July 2007, 05:20
Miller rocks

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2007, 22:21
Indy500'79, you are one of the few on either board to agree with me.....which says to me he must be right more often than not if IRL fans and CCWS fans can agree to hate him..

indycool
11th July 2007, 15:23
I really can't see all that much motion. Hornish and Wheldon are with teams which also field NASCAR teams and that would be worked out internally. With the deal Wheldon reportedly has with Ganassi, he isn't going to get a better one in CC.

It's difficult to believe Marco would go to NHL unless NHL was coming to the IRL, another rumor that's out there.

If Dario retires from Indy Car racing, that will be a very-much sought-after seat at AGR, so they aren't going to take just any cull as a driver.

Komahawk
11th July 2007, 16:38
I'd like to think that if Dario manages to win the IndyCar championship he'd want to defend it, and he also might get a raise.

Komahawk
11th July 2007, 16:53
Oh yea, since silly season is in full swing:

If Hornish and Wheldon go to NASCAR, they're likely to more or less get squashed. If they're lucky they just might come up with results similar to those of Montoya, only that they're not gonna win road races. Assuming it's not only money they care for, but also seriously competing for wins, they'll start missing the IRL pretty soon.

And Bourdais to F1, well, see da Matta. I wouldn't be surprised if Bourdais clearly beat his team mate, whoever that might be, but the Toro Rosso car won't be collecting too many points, either. The drivers will be the ones to be blamed, and Bourdais' F1 career will be over pretty soon.
Last thing I heard was that Mateschitz (spelling?), the owner of the Red Bull company, wasn't very entusiastic about Bourdais, saying that "...he's already 28, who knows if he'll be able to adapt to the car or the series...". He'd rather 'borrow' Vettel from BMW.

If they leave, they might be back soon. BTW, how's Allmendinger doing down south?

ZzZzZz
11th July 2007, 21:41
I really can't see all that much motion. Hornish and Wheldon are with teams which also field NASCAR teams and that would be worked out internally. With the deal Wheldon reportedly has with Ganassi, he isn't going to get a better one in CC.

It's difficult to believe Marco would go to NHL unless NHL was coming to the IRL, another rumor that's out there.

If Dario retires from Indy Car racing, that will be a very-much sought-after seat at AGR, so they aren't going to take just any cull as a driver.

Agree. Disagree. Agree.

From what Dario has said recently, I don't see him dashing off quite yet. However, when he does, he'll stay with AGR in ALMS.

I think Marco would seriously consider a NHL seat, as Mario would want him to. Even Dad might not be too upset about *that*.

These are all speculative and very unlikely they'd all happen this year. Anyway, these are top seats. You could easily come up with a long list of drivers worthy of those seats. A certain amount of change is normal, healthy and to be expected...

As for Boudais, there's no way in hell he'd come back to CC after F1. (Could see him doing Indy, though). He'll go to sports cars and contest Le Mans for many years.

indycool
11th July 2007, 23:28
Understand your thinkin' and quite possible on all, Zs.

Jeffy2442
12th July 2007, 00:19
Lake Speed

Chaparral66
13th July 2007, 21:37
Bourdais is going to NASCAR. Since he kicked their butts in IROC a few years ago, and as a result, he was not invited back, which made IROC even more of a joke than it already was, Seabass now want to do a JPM and go over and finish the job.

Kidding :)

Jonesi
14th July 2007, 00:48
Bourdais is going to NASCAR. Since he kicked their butts in IROC a few years ago, and as a result, he was not invited back, which made IROC even more of a joke than it already was, Seabass now want to do a JPM and go over and finish the job.

Kidding :)

You need to be joking, since he only won 1 race, plus a 6th, 10th, 12th places finishing in a tie for 4th. (Decent result in a series that so favors oval sedan racers.)

huxleypiguk
14th July 2007, 08:13
Bourdias is a racer, full stop, no matter what you put him in. So IROC, race of champions, F1, Champ Car, Le Mans (he came second this year BTW) so no matter what he wants to do he will do it.

I believe that all US based drivers want to end their days in NASCAR as they can make a lot of money even being a backmarker !

Chaparral66
17th July 2007, 22:21
You need to be joking, since he only won 1 race, plus a 6th, 10th, 12th places finishing in a tie for 4th. (Decent result in a series that so favors oval sedan racers.)

I'm glad you clarified that at the end with that insightful aside. Since hardly anyone in IROC knew Bourdais, it's not surprising that hardly anyone wanted to work with him.

Rogelio
19th July 2007, 22:15
Seabass, like him or hate him, has a lot of talent. Regardless of the level of talent and the competetive teams in Champ Car, he is always out front dominating the pole or the race. He rarely makes mistakes and is a proven winner. It is an embarrasment that F1 has not given him a shot.

That being sad, maybe he does need to go to NASCAR and show them boys how to race. I dislike Seabass but I sure respect his ability race after race.

gofastandwynn
20th July 2007, 02:32
Interesting rumors. Possibly three of the IRL's top five in points gone at the end of the year. Hornish is reportedly NASCAR bound and Weldon wants to go south too. Dario retiring and going to ALMS. ... Sebastien already signed for F-1 ...

I notices he is saying very little about the CC silly season, maybe it is because that have to have a season next year for it to be silly.

An PS kid, if you think that CC is racing in front of "packed houses", then it is time to grow up and stop thinking everything CC puts out is true.

FerrrariF1
20th July 2007, 03:21
[quote="gofastandwynn"]I notices he is saying very little about the CC silly season, maybe it is because that have to have a season next year for it to be silly. quote]

Silly is anyone that is doubting that Champcar doesn't have a 2008....silly are those who are more worried about Champcar than their top three drivers wanting to bolt the series....

Civic
20th July 2007, 03:46
Anything about the rumour that Ryan Hunter-Reay will replace Jeff Simmons at Rahal?

Civic
20th July 2007, 04:03
Never mind, Speed has confirmed RHR at Rahal.

Mark in Oshawa
20th July 2007, 04:45
What Champ Car does or doesn't do shouldn't matter if you are hardcore IRL fan? Oh right, I forgot, Gofast doesn't care for Champ Car but he is always quick to point out what it is doing or not doing. Listen, IRL is finding out that it too can have ride buyers filling seats that used to be filled by talent. Look only at Jeff Simmons finally being gassed after half a season of embarassing himself. If the top 3 guys in the IRL leave this season, the teams concerned will be hard pressed to find replacements as talented.....or maybe, KNOWN to the fans. This is how the bleeding started in the final days of CART. Name drivers leaving, and young guys with no marketing value sliding in....

gofastandwynn
20th July 2007, 11:03
What Champ Car does or doesn't do shouldn't matter if you are hardcore IRL fan? Oh right, I forgot, Gofast doesn't care for Champ Car but he is always quick to point out what it is doing or not doing. Listen, IRL is finding out that it too can have ride buyers filling seats that used to be filled by talent. Look only at Jeff Simmons finally bein gassed after half a season of embarassing himself. If the top 3 guys in the IRL leave this season, the teams concerned will be hard pressed to find replacements as talented.....or maybe, KNOWN to the fans. This is how the bleeding started in the final days of CART. Name drivers leaving, and young guys with no marketing value sliding in....

Oh, so then why is what the IRL does or doesn't do matter if you are a hardcore CCWS fan? This is two way street Mark and you of all people shouldn't even start to lecture me. You have let it be known many times your disdain for TG and yet you feel a need to talk about the IRL, and implying that Simmons is a ride buyer shows you shouldn't be throwing stones...

Now, If the top 3 leave, they leave. But every year this talk comes up (Wheldon to F1 & NASCAR, Marco to CC, Danica to Nascar etc.) not to mention the other fall tradition of how many IRL drivers hate it there and want to go to CC, and yet none of them do? All last fall all the talk was Dario was going to PKV, and yet it doesn't happen yet again. And now here it is in July and the stories have started. It's like Mario bring up unification talks in February. And when some hardcore CC fan brings it up, sorry If I take it with a grain of salt and will respond to it justly.

indycool
20th July 2007, 13:22
Silly season has started pretty early. Small, short comments in response to "have you quit beating your wife?" type questions sometimes are just diplomatic answers, not hints of anything going on.

Franchitti, for example, only does one-year contracts. But how many has he had now with the Team Green/AGR group?

Isn't it more probable that a guy like Penske would run Hornish in a third car for a few races in Cup rather than switch him over completely? Same with Ganassi?

And who's to say Marco's un happy where he's at?

OWFan19
20th July 2007, 22:08
I am sure NASCAR would love to have one of the Pet Shop boys running in their series, so I dont really see Wheldon fitting in with the good ole boys.

Chaparral66
20th July 2007, 22:50
Weldon not fit in with the good ol' boys? C'mon, that wouldn't difficult. They've already got someone from Down Under in Busch or Trucks...

Chaparral66
20th July 2007, 22:51
In fact, from what I hear, chicks dig the accent...

Komahawk
22nd July 2007, 17:05
I'm sure Danica digs the accent...

Indy500'79
26th July 2007, 18:42
Indy500'79, you are one of the few on either board to agree with me.....which says to me he must be right more often than not if IRL fans and CCWS fans can agree to hate him..

Even when I don't like what he has to say, I think he gets it right most times. Other than Dave Despain, I can't find any TV journalists covering racing that really seem to know it and love it like Miller. It's clearly killing him (and us) to watch AOW limp along like this.

NoFender
26th July 2007, 20:41
My piece of speculation is Wheldon might be heading to CC if Chip won't put him in NASCAR. He says he wants to run infront of packed crowds, and all of CC events are well attended, and there is likely going to be an event, possibly two, in England next year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump ship to NHL to take Sebass's seat.

Yeah, Portland was jammed. I think Dan wants to get paid as well, so CC probably wont fit for him.

If four (including Marco) of the top eight leave where do you think the new crop of the drivers are going to come from? After Alex Lloyd the IPS cupboard is rather shallow. The IRL is going to have a hard time attractings the Atlantics drivers now that ovals are off their schedule, and Euro talent with any F-1 aspirations.

I've got to think it will be journymen replacements like Ryan Brisco and Ronnie Bremmer filling the seats.

Well, if none of the young guns have money or a name like Rahal to get a ride in CC, then they will be somewhere else.

NoFender
26th July 2007, 20:44
Seabass, like him or hate him, has a lot of talent. Regardless of the level of talent and the competetive teams in Champ Car, he is always out front dominating the pole or the race. He rarely makes mistakes and is a proven winner. It is an embarrasment that F1 has not given him a shot.

That being sad, maybe he does need to go to NASCAR and show them boys how to race. I dislike Seabass but I sure respect his ability race after race.

I think SeaBass would cry himself to death within 4 races in Cup.

NoFender
26th July 2007, 20:45
I notices he is saying very little about the CC silly season, maybe it is because that have to have a season next year for it to be silly. quote]

Silly is anyone that is doubting that Champcar doesn't have a 2008....silly are those who are more worried about Champcar than their top three drivers wanting to bolt the series....

Silly is as silly does

NoFender
26th July 2007, 20:47
What Champ Car does or doesn't do shouldn't matter if you are hardcore IRL fan? Oh right, I forgot, Gofast doesn't care for Champ Car but he is always quick to point out what it is doing or not doing. Listen, IRL is finding out that it too can have ride buyers filling seats that used to be filled by talent. Look only at Jeff Simmons finally being gassed after half a season of embarassing himself. If the top 3 guys in the IRL leave this season, the teams concerned will be hard pressed to find replacements as talented.....or maybe, KNOWN to the fans. This is how the bleeding started in the final days of CART. Name drivers leaving, and young guys with no marketing value sliding in....

Good thing it hasn't happened in the IRL.

NoFender
26th July 2007, 20:49
Silly season has started pretty early. Small, short comments in response to "have you quit beating your wife?" type questions sometimes are just diplomatic answers, not hints of anything going on.

Franchitti, for example, only does one-year contracts. But how many has he had now with the Team Green/AGR group?

Isn't it more probable that a guy like Penske would run Hornish in a third car for a few races in Cup rather than switch him over completely? Same with Ganassi?

And who's to say Marco's un happy where he's at?

Marco can't cut the mustard anyway. To get out of a car just once in the middle of a race, and say "I can't drive it" is a slap in the face to all drivers. If I was a team owner, and my driver said I can't drive it, I'd call somebody who could and tell the little boy to carry a tire.

NoFender
26th July 2007, 20:51
Even when I don't like what he has to say, I think he gets it right most times. Other than Dave Despain, I can't find any TV journalists covering racing that really seem to know it and love it like Miller. It's clearly killing him (and us) to watch AOW limp along like this.

Agreed. Miller is the only voice that truely gives a damn about open wheel. I'm pretty sure he has the aspect of both series as I have. They both are pitiful and are barely surviving. Neither one has anything to be proud of.

Chaparral66
26th July 2007, 22:34
Originally Posted by Indy500'79

Agreed. Miller is the only voice that truely gives a damn about open wheel. I'm pretty sure he has the aspect of both series as I have. They both are pitiful and are barely surviving. Neither one has anything to be proud of.

This and the post you quoted are probably among the most truthful posts I've ever seen in these forums concerning open wheel. Of course the slow death of AOWR is killing Miller. I'm sure people like Gordon Kirby and Dave Despain are not pleased by what they see either. Forgetting the politics for the moment, I have to believe any real fan of open wheel racing is not happy by what has happened since 1996. We should be arguing about the races with all the best drivers on the same track, but we can't, unless they all get together for the 24 Hours of Daytona in Grand Am.

The rest of the "mainstream" US media doesn't even care to send reporters to the major open wheel events, with the exception the wire services, the Indy Star, and car mags like Autoweek, Road & Track, etc. I remember Mark Donahue making the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1972 for his Indy 500 win (yikes, that really dates me), and (double yikes) F1 legend Jackie Stewart being named by SI Sportsman of the Year in 1973. It will be a long time before we see that happen again (although SI did do a good job recently profiling Lewis Hamilton). We can still enjoy the racing, but no matter what kind of face or spin we put on it, the spectre of AOWR's meltdown will always be there.

Komahawk
27th July 2007, 14:08
Marco can't cut the mustard anyway. To get out of a car just once in the middle of a race, and say "I can't drive it" is a slap in the face to all drivers. If I was a team owner, and my driver said I can't drive it, I'd call somebody who could and tell the little boy to carry a tire.

The problem is that Marco DID cut the mustard on some occasions before, and also this year in Iowa. What to do? I guess he'll just have to keep trying.

It's a shame though that Herta isn't here this year. With a little luck he might've done just as well as Franchitti.

geek49203
30th July 2007, 15:32
An PS kid, if you think that CC is racing in front of "packed houses", then it is time to grow up and stop thinking everything CC puts out is true.

It's easy to play to a "packed house" when you've got 30k seats. In the IRL, Iowa was a "Great show" with a "huge crowd", but that same number of people at Michigan is a "sad show" where "no one comes anymore." Most of the CCWS numbers are for total attendance (everyone and their dog, including volunteers, employees, crews, etc) for the entire weekend (the dog gets counted 3 times if he goes on 3 days).

Then again, released auto racing attendance numbers are about as honest as profit projections for dot-com companies.

Indy has 260k seats (give or take) and people bemoan the fact that "it's not sold out like the old days." I had a few old-timers tell me that the Indy crews used to build grandstands around the track (the backstretch?) that were added or removed to assure a sellout, one way or the other. In the "good old days" there were few if any seats inside of the track (old Snake pit territory). And, even w/o selling out, they're getting twice as many fans as the Daytona 500.

mikeearle
30th July 2007, 16:08
Good lord guys, this mine is bigger than yours crap has to stop. OW racing in NA is in trouble, in both camps. Each series can draw well in some venues but not all of their venues. Fact is that the two series need to become one and the best and most well attended of each needs to be included on the schedule.. this way the best venues see the best drivers all in one place. Until everyone wakes up and realizes that this is what needs to happen we will get nowhere. I hate what has happed to the sport I am involved in and love, hate it! But until KK and TG find a way to put it all under one roof...well they both will remain second rate series. Even with them under one roof there is a pile of building to do to get it back in the public the way it used to be. who really cares if San Jose outdrew iowa... it is not the point. Like I said, each series can draw well in some cases but none of these isolated 'wins' makes either series a viable player long term, no not even Indy!

It's easy to play to a "packed house" when you've got 30k seats. In the IRL, Iowa was a "Great show" with a "huge crowd", but that same number of people at Michigan is a "sad show" where "no one comes anymore." Most of the CCWS numbers are for total attendance (everyone and their dog, including volunteers, employees, crews, etc) for the entire weekend (the dog gets counted 3 times if he goes on 3 days).

Then again, released auto racing attendance numbers are about as honest as profit projections for dot-com companies.

Indy has 260k seats (give or take) and people bemoan the fact that "it's not sold out like the old days." I had a few old-timers tell me that the Indy crews used to build grandstands around the track (the backstretch?) that were added or removed to assure a sellout, one way or the other. In the "good old days" there were few if any seats inside of the track (old Snake pit territory). And, even w/o selling out, they're getting twice as many fans as the Daytona 500.