PDA

View Full Version : Vectra for Vauxhall in 2007

Dave B
18th December 2006, 18:38
The news we've all been waiting for :p

http://www.btccinfo.co.uk/2007/news/vx_vectra.html

Vauxhall has announced it will be introducing a brand new car for its 2007 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship campaign – the Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback.

The decision will mean extensive development, but the introduction of Super 2000 rules for the new season made that inevitable. In response, the team has been working around the clock building the new model from scratch. Preliminary reviews are cautiously optimistic.

“For the last four months we’ve slept and worked and that’s it!” said VX Racing’s Technical Director, John Morton. “The new regulations have given us a real headache. Now we have to design around standard road-car parts, which means designing a lot of things from scratch.

“Because of that, we can’t predict how some parts are going to behave as we haven’t had any race experience with them, but the Vectra definitely has advantages over the Astra – mainly aerodynamics.”

The Luton-based manufacturer’s decision to use the Vectra was made after extensive trials using the new S2000 rules.

“We’ve tested the various potential models - the Astra, Vectra and even the Corsa,” said VX Racing Brand Manager, Stuart Harris. “Technically, and from an aerodynamic point of view, we decided the Vectra gave us the best possibility.

“2007 is going to be a tough year with another new car to develop and get on stream. The only team who won’t be at a disadvantage is SEAT. Their car is the same as last year and they will benefit from the World Touring Car development, whereas we have to do it all ourselves. We’ve got an incredibly professional and hard-working team, though, and I know they are throwing everything at this project.”

Last month Banbury-based VX Racing confirmed the continuation of Tom Chilton, of Reigate, and Italy’s Fabrizio Giovanardi as the two works drivers.

The new car is set to be unveiled at the Autosport International Show on January 11th.

:)

Captain VXR
18th December 2006, 18:43
Good news, beat me to it by 4 minutes

Plato 4 Title
18th December 2006, 18:59
and what is a vectra hatchback??? lol great news though - glad to see another proper tourer back. now all we need are some alfas, a couple of accords and a few more bmw 3's!!!

VkmSpouge
18th December 2006, 18:59
No real surprise that they're going with the Vectra. Can't wait to see the pictures of it from the Autosport Show in January.

racer77
18th December 2006, 19:03
Beat you to it think you will find i put it on the 07 rumours thread at lunchtime and found out a no of weeks ago and if you read the post i put on it will tell you where pretty much everyone else stands except WSR willleave you all guesing on that one i think.

PDS
18th December 2006, 19:08
and what is a vectra hatchback???

Like most Hatchbacks. It has a tailgate, not a bootlid!!

Plato 4 Title
18th December 2006, 19:09
i will go and sit in my corner! lol a normal vectra then!

Northern Monkey
18th December 2006, 19:11
Beat you to it think you will find i put it on the 07 rumours thread at lunchtime and found out a no of weeks ago and if you read the post i put on it will tell you where pretty much everyone else stands except WSR willleave you all guesing on that one i think.

Think you'll find a lot of people have known its the Vectra for a while, but can only officially say so once Vauxhall confirm it.

racer77
18th December 2006, 19:17
I would like to think a lot of people Knew that it would be a vectra for a while not just 2or3 VXR employees because they would be pretty far behind shedule if that was the case.

mattie007
18th December 2006, 22:31
Good news for the BTCC. The Astra is a nice looking car, but looked a bit odd with the BTCC wing. The Vectra is a proper looking tourer and I much prefer the saloon look. The Corsa would of been daft IMO, far to small.

daz90
18th December 2006, 23:15
Not a big surprise, but its certainly good news. And good to see a proper 'tourer' back on the grid. Cant wait to see some pics.

I just hope Vauxhall have better luck with it than the sport hatch.

bt52b
18th December 2006, 23:16
Bit strange since they are due to replace the Vectra in 2008. Would they build a car for one year?

daz90
18th December 2006, 23:25
It seems like it, maybe they just dont have any choice, bairing in mind the new rule changes.

CarlMetro
18th December 2006, 23:42
I just hope they drive better than the POS i had on hire a couple of weeks ago in Ireland :\

tdb
19th December 2006, 00:53
Bit strange since they are due to replace the Vectra in 2008. Would they build a car for one year?

Well they built a new car for 2 years and lost the manufacturers title.

Also, i would think that what ever replaces the vectra in 2008 will more than likely carry over many parts from the latest model vectra, so it may only require a new bodyshell.

After all, a saab93 and the euro caddillac are a vectra underneath.

racer69
19th December 2006, 01:04

What other choice do they have? They have no cars eligible, they had to build one from scratch.

Ian McC
19th December 2006, 09:06
Will be interesting to see how this goes up against the smaller Seat.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th December 2006, 10:46
I'm glad they have gone with the Vectra. It's a proper touring car shape in my opinion. And if we get Accords, 320i, 156's, Laccetti's the field will be similar to the type of cars that competed in the supertouring years. All we need now is Mondeo's, Primeras, Lagunas and S40's.

SEATFreak
19th December 2006, 12:43
My sentiments exactly Jon. The Vectra in my opinion is in terms of appearance far more suited to the chunky Production cars of today.

Well, it is official so what is I think important now after the development is how it runs and also, let us not forget, how it competes with the Leon and if it does then we may have one of the toughest manufacturer title battles in a while.

I cannot honestly remember when there was such a well fought battle in the manufacturers whilst I have been following the series.

nicemms
19th December 2006, 12:45
Great News. A proper touring car racing car again. All we need is a Ford Mondeo!!

I hope Vauxhall can pull it off and produce a car that can do battle with Seat.

VkmSpouge
19th December 2006, 13:26
Great News. A proper touring car racing car again.

While I like the look of the Vectra, I've never really cared how many doors or what shape touring cars are, as long as the championship has plenty of them, some good drivers behind the wheel and they raced well.

Iain
19th December 2006, 22:20
Will be interesting to see how this goes up against the smaller Seat.

Just thought I'd compare the sizes of the cars:

Length
Leon - 4315mm
Vectra - 4610mm

Width
Leon - 1768mm
Vectra - 1800mm

Wheelbase
Leon - 2578mm
Vectra - 2700mm

tdb
20th December 2006, 00:00
+295mm
+32mm
+122mm

Only the kind of size difference a woman might notice! lol!

Rollo
20th December 2006, 04:06
Vauxhall returning for yet another season deserves a massive cheer! To the people who decide these things - I hope that this equates to car sales :D

The Vectra is a sound motor car, and I can understand why they went for it rather than the four door Astra or Corsa. The sedan Astra is still several months away and the Vectra presents a lower cD than it's stubby stablemate.

As an aside, the Astra sedan looks entirely in line with what we would have expected. http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=4287&idg=1&idi=2

bt52b
20th December 2006, 05:27
The sedan Astra is still several months away and the Vectra presents a lower cD than it's stubby stablemate.

The Vectra replacement (Insignia?) is rumoured to have a tail end like the Merc CLS.

Mark
20th December 2006, 09:20
They couldn't have picked a less inspiring car than the Vectra, bland, dull, dull. But then again the Mondeo worked for Ford!

SEATFreak
20th December 2006, 11:03
The Vectra replacement (Insignia?) is rumoured to have a tail end like the Merc CLS.

I am saddened by you not getting the name right.

Because I have on more than one ocassion mentioned it's name with regard to the chance of it being used as a touring car. In fact it was among my favourites as the model VXR could use.

It's the Signum.

SEATFreak
20th December 2006, 11:09

Because I have on more than one ocassion mentioned it's name with regard to the chance of it being used as a touring car. In fact it was among my favourites as the model VXR could use.

It's the Signum.

MattL
20th December 2006, 11:15
They couldn't have picked a less inspiring car than the Vectra, bland, dull, dull. But then again the Mondeo worked for Ford!

See if you think the same this time next year...if not, then I'm sure Vauxhall will feel they made the right choice of car to run! :p

MattL
20th December 2006, 11:19

It's the Signum.

bt52b had the right name. 'Insignia' looks set to be the Vectra replacement: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/204258/vauxhall_insignia.html

Signum is a current part of the range: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/carsandvans/brandcarhub.do?method=loadBrandHubCarPage&vehicleType=C&scope=S&brandName=newSignum

Mark
20th December 2006, 11:26

It's the Signum.

I'm saddened not so much by your complete lack of automotive knowledge, but the fact that you would use that lack of knowledge to bash someone else.

See if you think the same this time next year...if not, then I'm sure Vauxhall will feel they made the right choice of car to run! :p

Don't get me wrong, I wish them every success with the Vectra.. however even if they win every single race I doubt it would change my opinion of the road version.

Robinho
20th December 2006, 14:13

It's the Signum.
oops, the signum is actually a current model, based on the vectra, but a bit posher. and also only an estate as far as i know, so very unlikely to be a tourer (volvo's past exploits excused) - although i do think it looks quite smart - thats it, i'm getting old! ;(

the vectras replacement will be the Insignia

as an aside - the continental version of the signum is obviously the Opel Signum, an anagram of which is "Penis Mogul" :)

bt52b
20th December 2006, 17:49
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/thumbs/1749-4.jpg
Opel presented the Insignia concept at the Frankfurt International Motor Show 2003.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1749

It will show a new version of the Insignia at Geneva in the spring.

bt52b
20th December 2006, 18:00
Just thought I'd compare the sizes of the cars:

Length
Leon - 4315mm
Vectra - 4610mm

Width
Leon - 1768mm
Vectra - 1800mm

Wheelbase
Leon - 2578mm
Vectra - 2700mm

Height
Leon - 1,458 mm
Vectra - 1,460 mm

smiley_opc
20th December 2006, 18:12
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/thumbs/1749-4.jpg
Opel presented the Insignia concept at the Frankfurt International Motor Show 2003.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1749

It will show a new version of the Insignia at Geneva in the spring.its just all about the name.. after some years opel always changes the names of cars.. kaddett became astra, ascona became vectra and now the vectra is going to gat the name insignia.. it will propably not even look like the concept made in 2003..

PDS
20th December 2006, 18:14
Looks a lot like a Chrysler!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic.php?imagenum=5&carnum=1749
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic.php?imagenum=4&carnum=1749

Iain
20th December 2006, 20:57
Sounds a lot like a dodgy 80s aftershave! :p :

WSRfan82
20th December 2006, 21:05
yes!! Vectra back in the btcc just think of it as a fairwell season for the vectra. if it true about the vectra being replaced in 2008 not so shore about it being the hatch like to see it in the saloon. better looking