PDA

View Full Version : Your mission ....

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 19:30
.... should you choose to accept it is .....

To find my dog Kipper some over-reach protection boots on't net.

So far my pathetic searches are showing up nothing as I can't work out what the put in as a search starter :dozey:
What we need are some boots specifically for a Greyhound that protect the front legs from over-reach cuts (when the back claws strike the rear of the front leg when they run fast). Kipper's started to make a mess of his legs now the crows are flying faster and he's running at full pelt after them. He's going to end up either infected, snapping a tendon or fastened up being miserable all day if I can't stop him cutting himself.

When I got that damned dog the RSPCA promised me he'd be perfect for us, and look at him - mincing about in jumpers all winter, union card out when his tea's late and now poncy boots to protect his little leggies from his other leggies :rolleyes: :p :

Brown, Jon Brow
1st July 2007, 19:34
Can you not just file down his claws?

veeten
1st July 2007, 19:35
so if any of us get caught looking, will you disavow any knowledge of our actions?... ;) :p :

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 19:41
veeten, do you honestly know anyone who'd own up to having a total tart of a dog that needs boots just to stop him slitting his own wrists? :p :
Mind you, when I sign the cheque to pay for the wretched things they'll know it's me .... :eek:

No Jon, sadly not. Tried that already.

Eki
1st July 2007, 19:46
http://www.dogbootcompany.com/

janneppi
1st July 2007, 19:46
Rubber mittens on the back legs or neoprene leg warmers for front legs? :)

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 20:07
Thanks Eki. They're a bit too 'bootish' but a last resort. I was wishing for something that at least made Kipper look a bit more manly, maybe a horse tendon boot style that doesn't cover the paw and at first glance looks protective rather than pathetic mollycoddling :p :

Neoprene leg warmers being first choice, janneppi :up:

Can't believe I'm talking about styles of dog boot :mark:

Eki
1st July 2007, 20:14
Thanks Eki. They're a bit too 'bootish' but a last resort. I was wishing for something that at least made Kipper look a bit more manly,

Well, they do look a bit 'Teletubbish':

http://www.dogbootcompany.com/images/2-Inch.jpg

janneppi
1st July 2007, 20:27
Thanks Eki. They're a bit too 'bootish' but a last resort. I was wishing for something that at least made Kipper look a bit more manly, maybe a horse tendon boot style that doesn't cover the paw and at first glance looks protective rather than pathetic mollycoddling :p :

Neoprene leg warmers being first choice, janneppi :up:

If you're going for the ultimate bad ass/racing look, fit a pair of carbonfiber motocross front shock protectors on the back of the front legs and the little pooch will look like he'll go faster than Jenson Button. :D

Eki
1st July 2007, 22:12
The boots and leg-protectors here look rather manly:

http://www.dogbootsactive.com/

and they are made in Ireland, so maybe ones with a Guinness logo on them are available.

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 22:21
.... the little pooch will look like he'll go faster than Jenson Button. :D

He already does.
In fact he probably is faster ;)

Thanks Eki. Perfect!
If the over reaching continues we shall be investing in the leg protection flyball ones. Cheers :)

BDunnell
1st July 2007, 22:27
Forgive my ignorance of dogs, but is this a common problem with greyhounds, and if so, do a lot of owners not bother?

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 22:41
Most sight hounds don't ever get fully fit and are then allowed to run about at will. It's a common injury in all fit horses, dogs and so on (who have hard toenails or hooves) but only horse owners fit boots as a rule.

If you look on TV showjumping, most horses wear rubber upside-down boots over the front feet. It stops the hind hooves slicing the heels. On dogs it's higher up the leg, almost at knee height. In races they just spray on antiseptic and eventually throw the dog away when it gets serious. On normal furry dogs it doesn't matter, but Kipper's thin skinned and only has velvet for hair.

Putting on a boot will save me sixty quid a go on antibiotics, seventy quid if he needs stitching and at least a hundred quid if/when he scores a tendon. At the moment he isn't bothered about having no skin on his leg, but it will get sore soon, so it saves him discomfort too.

BDunnell
1st July 2007, 22:44
Thank you. I ask because a friend was telling me recently about some of the ill-treatment of racing greyhounds.

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 23:00
It's well beyond 'ill treatment' in most cases.
Greyhound racing disgusts almost anyone who knows half of what happens to the animals involved. :down:

BDunnell
1st July 2007, 23:02
It's well beyond 'ill treatment' in most cases.
Greyhound racing disgusts almost anyone who knows half of what happens to the animals involved. :down:

Glad to hear it.

I was being deliberately careful with language, by the way. I very much agree with you, judging from what I've heard.

CarlMetro
1st July 2007, 23:15
only has velvet for hair.

A proper 'posh birds' dog then :p :

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 23:21
Yes Carl, not my type at all :p :

You'd suit him better, old chap.

Eki
2nd July 2007, 09:05
Thanks Eki. Perfect!
If the over reaching continues we shall be investing in the leg protection flyball ones. Cheers :)
If Kipper will like them, tell him they were my idea. If not, tell him they were your idea.

Hazell B
2nd July 2007, 20:13
If Kipper will like them, tell him they were my idea. If not, tell him they were your idea.

Oh great, turning my own dogs against me now ......

:laugh: