PDA

View Full Version : Flooding caused by gays, not global warming

Ian McC
1st July 2007, 18:26
Where do these people get off! :mad:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/01/nflood201.xml

One diocesan bishop has even claimed that laws that have undermined marriage, including the introduction of pro-gay legislation, have provoked God to act by sending the storms that have left thousands of people homeless.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st July 2007, 18:32
GAYS!!! I knew it was them! Even when it was with the car bombs I knew it was them!!!!! :mad:

Drew
1st July 2007, 18:44
They get off on pictures of naked children. If they're gonna make stupid statements, I can make semi-true statements :rolleyes:

Erki
1st July 2007, 18:48
I don't know where they get off but it ****ing floods!

BDunnell
1st July 2007, 18:52
As 'one of them', I would like to own up at this point. We all take collective responsibility. I only had to look at another man in a suggestive fashion for the centre of Sheffield to flood the other week. I'll try not to do it again.

Robinho
1st July 2007, 18:52
how dare they!!

the amount of trouble, fighting, was, misery and injustice perpetrated in the name of religon, to blame natural disasters on the ungodly ways is disgraceful, rude and oh so very ironic.

the fact they people think and belive this way is more annoying and scary than the comments thermselves

slinkster
1st July 2007, 21:01
I've heard equally ridiculous but sadly similar things. My boyfriend's mum was telling us she's heard that many soceity issues and also homosexuality could be caused by chemicals in plastics. So perhaps our reliance on plastics is to blame instead... ludicrous doesn't even begin to describe it!

Ian McC
1st July 2007, 21:03
homosexuality could be caused by chemicals in plastics

:s hock:

You mean your sexuality may depend on which supermarket you shop in! :eek:

slinkster
1st July 2007, 21:07
You mean your sexuality may depend on which supermarket you shop in! :eek:

... Indeed. After some stunned laughter we attempted to offer a sound argument but I think she was already considering the possibility there could be some truth in it by that point. I already don't get on with the woman so I kept stum for the sake of all concerned. :rolleyes:

Ian McC
1st July 2007, 21:38
I already don't get on with the woman so I kept stum for the sake of all concerned. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Bless you, I know they say if you want to know what the daughter is going to grow up like look at the mother, I hope in this case it doesn't swap gender :p :

Hazell B
1st July 2007, 23:14
For once it wasn't the Archbishop of York placing blame on women/gays/immoral types.

I detest that man, always grabbing headlines with his hogwash. Some of his thinking is superb, most just plain nasty, sexist, homophobic or generally unpleasant. Thanks to him some people think everyone in Yorkshire is equally Victorian :s

Jefe Máximo
1st July 2007, 23:24
Oh bummer...

veeten
2nd July 2007, 00:16
funny, not long ago Islamic clerics had made similar assumptions, that all the recent weather activity was Allah punishing the infidels for their activities in the Gulf.

It's not surprising that some within religious organisations, looking to increase their influence over major parts of the world public, stoop to using catastrophic events to push their own personal beliefs & agendas. The larger the organisation, the higher the amount of arroghance, indifference, and outright boorish the behaivor.

Like that of leaders, governments, and other such things, their power comes from what we ceede to them. Reduce the amount, and it will reduce their stature.

Rollo
2nd July 2007, 08:10
This is the strange way that co-incidences work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PthyDuFbk

I was watching Devvo on E4 (this is the only uploaded video I could find of same) and at one point he's standing on top of a motorway overpass and yells the following:

****ing gay cars!
Personally I think he could be onto something here.

Ok, the bishop probably has to make a theological point but even so, you don't get any brownie points my making stupid statements that are unconnected with non-logic.

Lead poisoning in connection with brain damage as a result of cars though... :D

Eki
2nd July 2007, 09:09
funny, not long ago Islamic clerics had made similar assumptions, that all the recent weather activity was Allah punishing the infidels for their activities in the Gulf.

There was also a group of religious nuts in the US who believed that American soldiers die in Iraq because there are gays serving in the military. They used to harass funerals of fallen soldiers.

Daniel
2nd July 2007, 09:16
As 'one of them', I would like to own up at this point. We all take collective responsibility. I only had to look at another man in a suggestive fashion for the centre of Sheffield to flood the other week. I'll try not to do it again.
:rotflmao:

Julia Fox
2nd July 2007, 09:29
There was I,being transgendered,waiting for hellfire and damnation and find out that instead I am causing all this wet weather.
For anybody on this forum who has suffered from the flooding please accept my apologies.

BDunnell
2nd July 2007, 10:35
For once it wasn't the Archbishop of York placing blame on women/gays/immoral types.

I detest that man, always grabbing headlines with his hogwash. Some of his thinking is superb, most just plain nasty, sexist, homophobic or generally unpleasant. Thanks to him some people think everyone in Yorkshire is equally Victorian :s

:up:

Well said indeed.

Daniel
2nd July 2007, 10:43

Burn her! She's a witch! :p

Flat.tyres
2nd July 2007, 11:18
well, i know flooding can be caused by Dykes but hadn't heard it could be caused by Gays?

you've a better chance of getting a camel through an eye of a needle than of betting these self obsessed, publicity seeking fanatics to demonstrate a little tollerance and christian charity.

millencolin
2nd July 2007, 11:56
doesnt it say somewhere in the bible, 'a man shall love another man' or something along those lines?

Dave B
2nd July 2007, 12:02
Flooding caused by gays? I'm guessing that's a Daily Express headline, or a badly thought out April Fool? :eek:

Robinho
2nd July 2007, 12:34
Noah was gay ;)

Mark
2nd July 2007, 12:37
On a serious point, this is what results in religion being a regressive influence on society when it's taken too literally. I mean, why bother investing in flood defences when you can just pray and persecute members of society you don't like. It's good that we aren't held under by religion any more (not to say we aren't told what to think by other means)

Flat.tyres
2nd July 2007, 12:57
if were getting all serious about this frankly ludicrous idiot, we might as well open up the discussion as to how to deal with these people.

if they were muslim, we would say that they are fundamentalists, extreemists and should be deported etc.

sad fact is that there are a growing number of extreem mouthpieces that are not exactly being derided too energetically by the church.

if it were a Muslim, we would be accusing other muslims of failing to speak out and acceptance by silence yet these people carry on regardless with their insulting, demeaning, dangerous drivel.

So, we have "human rights" and "free speech" protecting figures like this and those disgusting tossers in America that attend soldiers funerals with babies waving flags insulting them. Are we not just as guilty by failing as a community to say that enough is enough.

And then the odd nutter takes a gun and kills a load of gays, or blacks, or jews, or whites, or muslims, or gingers etc after listening to this crap and acting on it.

Yet we deny our social responsibility by claiming that the Government should have sorted it out :rolleyes:

BDunnell
2nd July 2007, 13:52
This is a very difficult question when taken seriously, because freedom of religious expression is extremely important. I agree that it would be good if these extreme voices were seen as such by everyone, but, as flat.tyres says, some people take them seriously and then may act upon them. I'm not sure which side I'm on. Can extreme voices be legislated against while retaining freedom of expression, something which sets nations like the UK apart from more totalitarian countries? I'm not sure. It isn't possible to prevent every potential extremist action, sadly.

I agree with Mark about the negative influences of religion when it's taken too seriously. This is, I believe, why the Church of England is largely harmless — the vast majority of its members, including many of its priests, seem to have a sense of humour about their religion and are not closed to engaging with its critics. The same cannot generally be said for Catholicism, nor Islam, in spite of the best efforts of modernisers and moderate voices.

Eki
2nd July 2007, 13:59
Noah was gay ;)
Try telling that to Noah's Girl face to face.

KK3869
2nd July 2007, 15:25
Try telling that to Noah's Girl face to face.

lol

Erki
2nd July 2007, 15:29
Obviously Noah was bisexual then. :) Are bisexual people usually also considered as gays?

BDunnell
2nd July 2007, 16:39
No, as bisexual.

Erki
2nd July 2007, 16:43
No, I mean, do the bishops&co find bisexuals also responsible for the floods and hurricanes and traffic congestions?

inimitablestoo
2nd July 2007, 17:06
I find it hard to believe that gay people could be responsible for causing floods.

However, in other topical matters, one of the first things that came to mind on Saturday was the clip from Channel 4's mid-90s drama Queer As Folk in which a sleighted homosexual man drives a Jeep through the window of a car showroom... :s

Dave B
2nd July 2007, 17:30
No, as bisexual.
As in the Queen lyric, penned by Freddie Mercury, "I want to ride my bisexual".

:p

BDunnell
2nd July 2007, 17:49
I find it hard to believe that gay people could be responsible for causing floods.

Don't be homophobic. ;)

However, in other topical matters, one of the first things that came to mind on Saturday was the clip from Channel 4's mid-90s drama Queer As Folk in which a sleighted homosexual man drives a Jeep through the window of a car showroom... :s

Saturday was not a good advertising campaign for Jeep, was it? A bad week for Mercedes, too, with the two Mercs being used for the attempted bombings in London AND the Diana memorial concert reminding people...

inimitablestoo
2nd July 2007, 17:52
I did wonder if the "terrorists" were merely protesting against the demerger of Daimler and Chrysler. But you're right, why can't gay people be capable of causing major global meteorolgical catastrophes? You couldn't really put them in charge of building an ark and filling it with two of every animal; I wouldn't be convinced of the likelihood of restarting population afterwards :s

Ian McC
2nd July 2007, 19:22
No, as bisexual.

Hmm, so what are we blaming them for?

Hazell B
2nd July 2007, 19:37
Hmm, so what are we blaming them for?

Bison poo of course :rolleyes:

Never mind saying sorry, Julia. Get your transgendered ass round to my place and bring you mop and bucket. :p :

Ian McC
2nd July 2007, 19:41
because freedom of religious expression is extremely important.

Surely that needs to be matched with a level of responsiblity? Anyone of any influence must take into account the consequences of their actions.

Hazell B
2nd July 2007, 19:50
Surely that needs to be matched with a level of responsiblity? Anyone of any influence must take into account the consequences of their actions.

They know how much they are believed, but if they honestly believe it themselves ..... they are taking into account the consequences.

Which makes it all the more sad, really :s

BDunnell
2nd July 2007, 20:55
I agree with both of you, Ian and Hazell, even though that might seem deeply contradictory. This really is one of the most difficult issues facing governments at the moment. It's why I don't envy those charged with trying to work through the problems religious differences and certain extremist beliefs can cause.

Ian McC
2nd July 2007, 21:04
Why should freedom of religious expression give them more freedom to say whatever they like compared to the rest of the population?

Hazell B
2nd July 2007, 21:11
Why should freedom of religious expression give them more freedom to say whatever they like compared to the rest of the population?

That's a damned good question.

In short, the only reason I can come up with is the fact that they're wearing an official dress (pun intended) while bemoaning gay lifestyles :mark:

Ian McC
2nd July 2007, 21:24
I don't know if they have so much as a 'chain of command' in the Church but would he have to justify his remarks to anyone? Probably not, even if he did no doubt any such action would be brushed under the carpet like so many things are.

Hazell B
2nd July 2007, 21:36
As it happens my best mate at school was the daughter of Peter Mullen, a very outspoken vicar.

He was always fielding phone calls from whoever it was above him, so I guess the chain of command can and does work at times. However, he was a lowly vicar and easy to force out of the church. Higher up the ladder I doubt very much can and will be done.

Crypt
2nd July 2007, 23:16
Gays is latin for: Homo-Efloodis?

Evan Almighty to the rescue!

BDunnell
2nd July 2007, 23:42

As an atheist and someone who feels that religion can be deeply damaging, deep down, I don't think they should. However, freedom of religious expression is quite an essential part of our democracy, and something that makes us better, many would contend, than those nations that prevent it, hence my defence of it.

Robinho
3rd July 2007, 12:20
As it happens my best mate at school was the daughter of Peter Mullen, a very outspoken vicar.

He was always fielding phone calls from whoever it was above him, so I guess the chain of command can and does work at times. However, he was a lowly vicar and easy to force out of the church. Higher up the ladder I doubt very much can and will be done.

they should all have at least one above them in the chain of command, but i don't think he uses a telephone, just messes with the minds of the religous

Dave B
3rd July 2007, 19:26
Given today's weather I fully expected to see a Gay Pride march in the street :p

Julia Fox
3rd July 2007, 20:45
As a punishment it's playing hell with my mascara

Hazell B
3rd July 2007, 23:35
As a punishment it's playing hell with my mascara

Proof enough for me :up:

BDunnell
4th July 2007, 09:46
I was hoping for a plague of locusts, personally. That might have impressed some religious types.

ShiftingGears
4th July 2007, 10:30
I think the flooding is more than related to the soon-to-be-released Z-grade movie Noah Almighty. A Jihad on Hollywood!

Hazell B
5th July 2007, 18:43
... soon-to-be-released Z-grade movie Noah Almighty.

It's already been released, but hardly anyone noticed ;)