PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari are BACK!

Scuderia ferrari
1st July 2007, 17:50
I was really pleased with the result today, being a massive ferrari fan. Great to see a ferrari 1-2, lovely sight to see the nice red cars in front of the horrible silver cars, and by a long way. Pleased for Kimi, Pleased for Felipe, pleased for everyone at ferrari.

Hopefully there will be similar domminant fashion for ferrari next week!

What do you think, did ferrari diserve to win that race, and do you think it was a one of event or have ferrari come back for the rest of the season as a threat for the championship?

ArrowsFA1
1st July 2007, 18:19
Very impressive work by Ferrari to turn things around and take the 1-2. Well deserved :up:

What we do know is that we have a real fight for both championships on our hands, and that's great news :s mokin:

Robinho
1st July 2007, 18:42
was a very impressive return to the top, but i think there is very little gap to McLaren also. it will be interseting to see if the form can bee continued away from Magny Cours, which often sees people getting a good result and struggle elsewhere.

personaly i don't see that happening, but i have no doubt they will not have it easy, hopefully a great battle will continue over the season

ojciec dyrektor
1st July 2007, 18:53
Solid work for Ferrari! They absolutely deserve 18 pts today. But it's their first 18 this season while McLaren made it 3 times. I'm not Ferrari fan, but I hope from now on it will be close battle for WDC and WCC.

F1boat
1st July 2007, 20:14
Great win for the greatest (IMO) team!

Narr
1st July 2007, 23:55
What do you think, did ferrari diserve to win that race?

To me it looked as though Massa deserved it more than Kimi; for the whole effort over the weekend and the traffic that gets in the way (some would argue that's his own problem :) ).

truefan72
1st July 2007, 23:59
To me it looked as though Massa deserved it more than Kimi; for the whole effort over the weekend and the traffic that gets in the way (some would argue that's his own problem :) ).

yep,

you aren't driving alone in the races, there are 21 other cars to contend with.
I found his post race comments unusually annoying. Traffic is part of the race, and driving out there by yourself is really not what people pay to see. The point is, he had a chance to close in on kimmi and try to pass him, but in typical Massa fashion he couldn't even come close to him. Massa is great when he runs out in front, but rarely shines if asked to do legit overtaking

Valve Bounce
2nd July 2007, 00:11

I think you may have underestimated the fact that Kimi had to run his quals with a heavier load - he took Lewis into second place, focussed on getting close enough to Massa when the latter had to pit for fuel, did quick laps, came out ahead after pit stop and controlled the race from there.

It reminded me of how SchM would win races by sheer effort and quickness when necessary.

I always knew Kimi is very, very fast.

Hawkmoon
2nd July 2007, 00:56
I wouldn't be popping any championship champaigne corks just yet but it was a very welcome return to form. I expect it to be closer at Silverstone with a legitimate 4-way fight for the win between Maranello and Woking.

Blackburn Buccaneer
2nd July 2007, 04:39
Hi from southern cal.
Pleased to be here: 've been looking at boards on the net, and this site seems to have a larger number of reasonable people. So if anyone could shed some light...

i've been trying to figure out why hamilton has been slow off the start, and looking at alonzo's tranmission problems this weekend, i wonder if mclaren's transmmision needs a softer touch, not only on launch, but on acceleration also.
Is mclaren's transmission less robust than say, ferrari's transmission?

Valve Bounce
2nd July 2007, 05:21
Hi from southern cal.
Pleased to be here: 've been looking at boards on the net, and this site seems to have a larger number of reasonable people. So if anyone could shed some light...

i've been trying to figure out why hamilton has been slow off the start, and looking at alonzo's tranmission problems this weekend, i wonder if mclaren's transmmision needs a softer touch, not only on launch, but on acceleration also.
Is mclaren's transmission less robust than say, ferrari's transmission?

Big Welcome to our Zany forum.

To answer your question, I think that Kimi was on the racing line behind Massa, got good grip and tucked in behind Massa and Hamilton never looked like fitting in between them.

Valve Bounce
2nd July 2007, 05:25
To me it looked as though Massa deserved it more than Kimi; :) ).

Yeah!! lets' disqualify the guy because Massa deserved it more. We could make it even harder for Kimi with a 10 place penalty for quals for the next race - just to put him in his place; fancy trying to beat Massa - don't know what got into the lad; he's been acting kinda strange lately. :rolleyes:

Blackburn Buccaneer
2nd July 2007, 05:28
thank you, and thanks for your reply.
then is it possible hamilton was exercising caution: in the sense that in order to finish he has to get away cleanly, keeping an eye on the bigger picture? It's best to get some of the points than to get none at all.

That's it for my questions on Mclaren here: this thread is about ferrari" wasn't trying to be rude.

Valve Bounce
2nd July 2007, 05:31
The way Martin described the start, I think the racing line the guys on the right hand side (facing front) had grip, and the other side didn't. You could say that Lewis exercised caution, but there was not much to be gained by ramming Kimi from the side :eek:

ioan
2nd July 2007, 07:12

Not a lucky day for Felipe, he worked really hard to get a good advantage before his pit stops and was keeping Kimi at bay.
Brawn almost always managed to get the drivers out in clean air after their stops, but this year that isn't really working at Ferrari, Luckily it wasn't a McLaren to take advantage.
As for Massa complaining about the backmarkers he was right to do it, it wasn't the first time this season that the slow cars got in the way of the leaders and didn't even care about it.

wmcot
2nd July 2007, 07:34
Ferrari were running a new aero package for France. Anyone have details on what all the aero mods were? A couple were obvious, but I was just wondering if anyone out there with sharper eyes picked up more details?

Scuderia ferrari
2nd July 2007, 08:07
Yeah!! lets' disqualify the guy because Massa deserved it more. We could make it even harder for Kimi with a 10 place penalty for quals for the next race - just to put him in his place; fancy trying to beat Massa - don't know what got into the lad; he's been acting kinda strange lately. :rolleyes:

No. Let's not! It was a ferrari 1-2 for pete's sake, you can't be dissapointed either way, i wasn't.

Don't take anything away from Kimi, he did a great job, i think it would have been a slightly diffrent outcome at the end of the race if Kimi hadn't done that on the start.

ArrowsFA1
2nd July 2007, 08:13
...then is it possible hamilton was exercising caution: in the sense that in order to finish he has to get away cleanly, keeping an eye on the bigger picture? It's best to get some of the points than to get none at all.
According to LH in the press conference:
"...my start was quite poor and to be honest I don't know really what happened. I need to look over the data. It just didn't seem to go very well and didn't make a good getaway and obviously lost a position to Kimi who had an exceptional start."
So in answer to your question, no, Hamilton wasn't being cautious. Once he'd made a poor start, however, it was a case of making the best of the situation, and third was the best he could do behind the Ferraris.

Scuderia ferrari
2nd July 2007, 08:25
Yes, he gained on them a bit, when the ferraris were in heavy traffic, but i can't understand that gamble to take a 3 stop stragedy. I mean, apart from not having to go through traffic, it didn't really give him anything and he was what? Half a min behind the 2 ferraris at the end.

I thought it was daft that LH didn't want to get past DC when he had to lap him, poor DC, i bet he was a bit anxious

Flat.tyres
2nd July 2007, 10:03
Ferrari did a much better job this race. the changes made to the car and the way it was set up let them get the best out of it. the cars very fast as yesterday proved and with the drivers not making any mistakes, showed their true pace again.

McLaren are going to have to raise the bar again and get back on terms.

stevie_gerrard
3rd July 2007, 00:32
they did very well, spot on with the tactics, and took advantage of some suspect Mclaren strategies. good job done :up:

Valve Bounce
3rd July 2007, 03:08
Yes, he gained on them a bit, when the ferraris were in heavy traffic, but i can't understand that gamble to take a 3 stop stragedy. I mean, apart from not having to go through traffic, it didn't really give him anything and he was what? Half a min behind the 2 ferraris at the end.

I thought it was daft that LH didn't want to get past DC when he had to lap him, poor DC, i bet he was a bit anxious

If you are referring to the time towards the end of the race, although the guy he was supposed to lap was not mentioned, live timing's guys made the comment that nobody could possibly threaten lewis at that time, so he was just coasting towards his third place finish.

ArrowsFA1
3rd July 2007, 08:04
If you are referring to the time towards the end of the race, although the guy he was supposed to lap was not mentioned, live timing's guys made the comment that nobody could possibly threaten lewis at that time, so he was just coasting towards his third place finish.
:up: That's what Ron Dennis said after the race:

"Lewis didn't make a good start. He was able to hang on; there was no problem with pace, but it was going to be impossible to overtake. We then started to evaluate everything that could go wrong, or everything that was likely to cause us to lose third place, and then we switched him to a strategy to guarantee third place, and that was really what that was all about."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60425

Valve Bounce
3rd July 2007, 10:00
However, this lack of a kamikaze effort against the red cars does not detract from a wonderful performance from this rookie to record another podium. I'd love to see this fellow win the championship.
Sorry for going off topic in a Ferrari thread :(

555-04Q2
3rd July 2007, 13:47
Well done to Kimi, Massa and Ferrari. Hopefully they can mount a serious challenge for the title now :)

555-04Q2
3rd July 2007, 13:48
Sorry for going off topic in a Ferrari thread :(

Why you little...... :p : ;)