PDA

View Full Version : Why is Milka Dunno allowed to start races?

RGM Fan
30th June 2007, 18:48
Last week in Iowa Milka Dunno was blackflagged for being a hazard to racing. This week at Richmond she runs a ton of laps, never comes within 12 mph of the leader's time, crashes in practice and is allowed to start tonight's race. If she can maintain her best pace she is going to be lapped every 14 laps, probably closer to 10 to 12.

Why has her license not been suspended yet. How did she get approved in the first place? If she is allowed to be more than a second off the leader's time, crash in practice and race how far does he have to go before IRL officals pull her license?

She has four master's degrees, she's clearly a smart person, but she's regressing in her starts, not moving forward.

I think the IRL is in a position where're they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. If the pull her license for being unqualified it validates every critic who says there is too much downforce in the IRL car and the rookie qualifications are far too low. If they don't pull her license it makes the whole league look so despirate for teams they have to subsidize almost half of their field and let wholly unqualified drivers race because they come with sponsorship.

IMSAFAN1
30th June 2007, 20:49
I agree with you...When she was with Crawford racing Andy Wallace did the most of the driving and even then she was only in the car when they were too far back to contend. She brought with her Citgo money to that series only because of her husband. I guess he figured give her a few bucks and go and play. She is a problem out there and IRL is in a postion of either yanking her license and lose the CITGO money or keep her in and lose her life or someone else's. I think taking her out of that series would be a benefit to the other drivers. It's a shame to see rich drivers come to a series with no/limited talent and the oraganizers welcome these people with open arms only because of the money they bring. IT MUST STOP!!!!! before someone gets killed....oh ya that has already happened.

call_me_andrew
30th June 2007, 21:33
There are two reasons why she's in the IndyCar Series. You can find both of them on her chest.

Old3Fan
30th June 2007, 23:46
There are two reasons why she's in the IndyCar Series. You can find both of them on her chest.

You can't say that for Sarah or Danika. :)

Jag_Warrior
1st July 2007, 02:59
Unless she carries her checkbook in her bra, her chest has nothing to do with why she's out there.

Despite her apparent friendship with one Hugo Chavez, I've found her to be a very nice person the couple of times that I've met her. And even though I think her choice of pastimes is better than those of certain other bored, attractive, wealthy women (Paris Hilton, etc.), she doesn't belong on high speed ovals where cars pack race. But to her credit, she's still a better driver than my all time fave-O-rite, Shiggy "The Human Wreckin' Ball" Hattori.

RGM Fan
1st July 2007, 03:07
Black flagged for going to twice in a row for being a hazard to other drivers. I think if the IRL had any integrity they would pull her license until she did a year or two in IPS or Atlantics.

NASCAR has a great policy where you earn your credentials by finishing races. You get qualified for short tracks or road courses first and have to finish a race at one level before moving up to another level and so on. They're strict about this, last year Robby Gordon got to start two Bush races for Jr when Shane Huffman wasn't qualified

Again, if IRL had any integrity, they would have given Milka a road course only licensed followed by big ovals and then short ovals. But because she is apparently attractive and she raises the car count she gets to drive with the big boys. I heard that Milka originally wanted to go to CC but was told straight up she would have to do at least a year in the Atlantics, and at 35 she doesn't have the time to do that.

A perfect example of how CC is doing things right is Frankie Muniz. He's cute, has a higher profile than anyone in CC and has his own money and sponsorship (Drive energy drink). If he would have went the IRL way they would have had him in a car in time for the Indy 500. Instead he's at best two years away from CC, likely three. I think that speaks volumes about the quality of drivers in each series.

NickFalzone
1st July 2007, 03:34
First of all it's "Duno", unless you're joking with the "Dunno".

As far as her in the IRL, she should not be there. She does not have the experience to be competitive or even safe on the track. At TMS Dario was screaming into his radio that she should be taken off the track. The last 2 races, they've done just that. I think what's going on is someone up above is hoping that she'll make the best of her practice runs and (partial) races to get a hang of things. So she's getting seat time now - to hopefully be up to speed by the end of the season. It's possible she'll be a decent backmarker by the end of the season - she just needs to get better awareness and consistency. In the mean time, on short ovals she will likely continue to get black flagged, and get the most seat time on the road courses. If she moves a spot or two up at places like Glen or Ohio, that would improve her image greatly.

mileman
1st July 2007, 04:43
The embarassing thing is that Duno, without competition, will become the Rookie of the Year. Unfortunately, she just appears to be in over her head. A few more retirements for "handling," and she should be pulled from the series. The worst part isn't even that she's so far off the leader's pace, but that she gets even slower when being overtaken.

eliostar
1st July 2007, 11:44
Tony George would take a monkey if he brought sponsorship. Talent is the least of the requirements needed to participate in this modern era. Do you think Herb, or Roth, or Fisher would even sniff a ride in a healthy series.

indycool
1st July 2007, 12:22
Some work their way into it eventually, some don't. Nelson Phillippe did. Dale Coyne did, even after he was pulled out of a LOT of races by CART Chief Steward Wally Dallenbach.

Arie Luyendyk really didn't have ovals figured out and was apprehensive about them until he got with a team that helped him "get it," then he turned out to be one of the best ovalmeisters in history with two Indy wins.

Tomas Scheckter has overcome a tendency to crash all the time to become an occasional factor. Jeff Simmons needs to do that. Scott Mayer just never figured it out, period.

Duno has little experience in these cars and none on ovals. Will she figure it out? In how much time? Or not?

Time will tell.

call_me_andrew
1st July 2007, 21:27
You can't say that for Sarah or Danika. :)

Obviously you haven't gotten a good look at Danica.

JPMfan
2nd July 2007, 17:05
Duno to the IRL is the same as Figge is to Champcar.

They both don't do the series they race in any good and reaffirm to the casual european viewer the idea, that american open-wheel is down in the gutter and nothing more than a playground for rich people with deep pockets.

It's a real shame and I hope it will be fixed soon.

fan-veteran
2nd July 2007, 17:44
But she is so cute ....... :)

2nd July 2007, 17:46
They both don't do the series they race in any good and reaffirm to the casual european viewer the idea, that american open-wheel is down in the gutter and nothing more than a playground for rich people with deep pockets.

To be fair to our American colleagues, the GP2 series has the likes of Jason Tahinci in it, so it's not just an American issue.

JPMfan
2nd July 2007, 17:57
To be fair to our American colleagues, the GP2 series has the likes of Jason Tahinci in it, so it's not just an American issue.

OK fair enough, but the GP2 has a grid of over 20 cars so they don't tend to be too obvious.
When your grid count is down to 19, people who don't belong there are a bit more apparent to the untrained eye.

Ps. Lapierre put on a good show this weekend, running over a mechanic in the pits and crashing out of the lead in race 2, what a moron!

indycool
2nd July 2007, 18:08
Throughout history, there has been at least one in every series. Do you remember "King Hiro?"

JPMfan
2nd July 2007, 18:12
Throughout history, there has been at least one in every series. Do you remember "King Hiro?"

Well at least he made the races more exiting to watch, when the leaders came up to him to lap him.

gm99
7th July 2007, 19:27
Why is Milka not racing at the Glen? I would have thought she'd jump at the chance to run on a road course, where she at least has some experience...

indycool
8th July 2007, 00:08
She wqas supposed to, but issued a statement saying she needewd more testing time, etc.

ykiki
8th July 2007, 00:17
She wqas supposed to, but issued a statement saying she needewd more testing time, etc.

But this is a road course (and a great one at that)! It's the ovals where she needs more testing time.

As for King Hiro, he may have been a backmarker in CART, but at least he was a winner in lower formulae (albeit Atlantics at the time were a couple tiers below CART).

indycool
8th July 2007, 00:22
Don't know about anything more than that...read the statement at another forum that her next race will be Nashville.

David Bailey
8th July 2007, 20:08
She is nice but that doesn't get the job done. She is always lapped or dnf because she either is too scared to race fast enough doesn't have a car able to go fast enough, I lean towards the first.

She should cut her teeth in the Indy Pro Series where the speeds aren't as fast and maybe she cold do better. Otherwise it's off to dirt tracks. :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
10th July 2007, 22:20
The Milka Duno's of the sport will always be there, it just is since the split in OW that such rank incompetance has been so obvious. She has NO business in the IRL because she did NOT pay her dues in Atlantics or IPS. If she showed up and managed to be competitive in testing and lapping, I could see overlooking that, but she is dangerous being as slow as she is...

The CCWS, as desparate as they have been at times, put Duno in her place. Tony just opened the door wide and said come on in. This is just yet another reason why some people in the IRL make me nervous. There should be at some point someone to take Milka's license away.....it is a MISTAKE....

RGM Fan
14th July 2007, 01:26
She skips Watkins Glen, a rather easy road course where she's raced before and then shows up at Nashville and crashes in a single car spin during practice after Tomas Enge sets up the car for her?

They need to pull her card and pull it now. Make her sit out the rest of the season. Do next year in IPS. Maybe, maybe in 2009 she can start an IRL race.

SportscarBruce
14th July 2007, 03:41
How many times has Milka crashed into or precipitated the accident of another competitor?

Komahawk
14th July 2007, 11:29
I wouldn't consider Watkins Glen an easy road course...

And hiring Enge in order to avoid crashes probably isn't the best idea ever.

Old3Fan
14th July 2007, 15:48
Its a TG gimmic. Same as with Sarah Fischer. Did well in the minors but can't hack it in the big leagues. I am still waiting for Danika to live up to all her hype. She is the best of the three there but still hasn't shown me she can win. To me she is a 10th place driver who has had a few better finishes due to accident attrition of front runners or fuel mileage advances. I will cheer for her with the rest of you when she gets her win by beating the best head to head, but I don't think that will be happening any time soon.

DavePI2
14th July 2007, 17:01
First I notice they didn't put milka's car back together for this weeks race. Probably won't see her next week at MidOhio either, athough I wouldn't mind catching her when I am walking the paddock. Second I wasn't a fan of Danica at first and I am still not. I do think she has turned into a fine racer thought and it only a matter of time. I thought she looked good at Michigan last year and I was impressed at Indy this year. However I still question the move to Andretti, it is a better team but she is still just the # 4 driver there as opposed to Rahal. Hope to see some members at MidOhio, I will be there all three days.

David

David

indycool
14th July 2007, 17:27
Old #3, TG doesn't own any of the teams the women drivers are driving for. Neither does the IRL. If you don't like 'em, well and good, but, IMO, you should channel your opinion in the right direction.

CARTDM15
15th July 2007, 05:51
It may not be his gimmick but there is no way the IRL should let Milka on the track without more testing or going to the IPS

indycool
15th July 2007, 05:56
Last I read in the Indianapolis Star today was that Barnhart was meeting with his three driver coaches about it.

weeflyonthewall
17th July 2007, 05:06
In Milka's defense, there's always Dr. Jack Miller.

Easy Drifter
17th July 2007, 15:54
And Marty Roth.

Quetch
18th July 2007, 07:41
Why is Milka not racing at the Glen? I would have thought she'd jump at the chance to run on a road course, where she at least has some experience...

Never mind, we'll have Sarah Fisher who is as good on road courses as Milka is on ovals.

Quetch
18th July 2007, 07:43
Old #3, TG doesn't own any of the teams the women drivers are driving for. Neither does the IRL. If you don't like 'em, well and good, but, IMO, you should channel your opinion in the right direction.

That's true. But the IRL has control over the licences and if Duno is as dangerous as described here, they maybe should withdraw it. The FIA did it with Yuji Ide last year in Formula One, CART did it with Shigeaki Hattori in 1999. Oh, he later raced in the IRL? Never mind...

eliostar
18th July 2007, 12:23
Everyone knows the answer to that. The only reason the likes of Fisher and Dona are in the league is numbers.

Mark in Oshawa
1st August 2007, 01:04
Milka is there to prop up the fiction that there are 20 plus competitive IRL drivers....

mikeearle
1st August 2007, 01:35
simple folks, she is hot and she has money... nuff said!

Milka is there to prop up the fiction that there are 20 plus competitive IRL drivers....

champcar72
1st August 2007, 05:56
simple folks, she is hot and she has money... nuff said!
Milka is going to be driving at Michigan this weekend!!!! They could just use her car as the pace car for cautions and then the IRL could say a woman, (sorry sensation) led laps at a race!!!

Dauns
1st August 2007, 14:33
The next race will be Nashville.
It will be more exciting

Alexamateo
1st August 2007, 19:25
The next race will be Nashville.
It will be more exciting
:erm: Uhm Nashville already happened 2 weeks ago, Scott Dixon won.

Mark in Oshawa
3rd August 2007, 18:34
Alex...he lost his calender.....maybe he is too distracted by the idea of seeing Milka in a tight low cut top or something....

DBell
4th August 2007, 16:39
Milka crashed again according to AR1. Quite a streak she's got going. On the positive side, some people have trouble doing anything consistently.
:p

CCFanatic
4th August 2007, 17:22
Milka crashed again according to AR1. Quite a streak she's got going. On the positive side, some people have trouble doing anything consistently.
:p

I am obviously not a IRL fan, but wouldn't it be embaressing to the IRL fans to have a driver who crashes every single weekend, during practice? I would feel embaressed as a fan that there is drivers that cannot even make a race. That are that incompitant to drive a car around an oval, and at Michigan, a fast, but very easy oval at that.

RGM Fan
5th August 2007, 00:28
Uh, she spun out again in practice.

Jag_Warrior
5th August 2007, 03:04
She's beginning to threaten my man Shiggy's "record".

Stop this madness before someone gets killed... seriously.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 05:58
She's beginning to threaten my man Shiggy's "record".

Stop this madness before someone gets killed... seriously.

Jag, as we saw, if the best drivers at the front of the field are in danger, it is only a matter of time until Milka is involved in a serious incident because she isn't up this level. Why she persists is one of life's mysteries.....she has to be scared clueless by the way she performs out there, and if she isn't scared, she oughta be.

fan-veteran
10th August 2007, 10:00
Keep thinking gays that Milka can't drive, but you will see... :D , when she at some point reaches the ultimate performance because of her persistence and begins to win race after race ... :p

Alexamateo
10th August 2007, 15:30
Looks like she's withdrawing and going to Berlin to bee in the Speed Racer movie.

Speed Racer Press Release (http://digital50.com/news/items/PR/2007/08/09/NYTH052/indycars-milka-duno-heads-to-berlin-for-role-in-warner-bros-speed-racer-movie.html)

LotusElise
10th August 2007, 16:04
Normally these types of thread turn into thinly-veiled woman-bashing, but as a follower of Milka's career, I have to agree with some of the comments here. She is a good sportscar enduro racer but has shown herself to be a fish out of water in an open-wheel car, both in the IRL and the Telefonica World Series a few years back.
She should stick to what she knows.

Mark in Oshawa
10th August 2007, 18:37
Normally these types of thread turn into thinly-veiled woman-bashing, but as a follower of Milka's career, I have to agree with some of the comments here. She is a good sportscar enduro racer but has shown herself to be a fish out of water in an open-wheel car, both in the IRL and the Telefonica World Series a few years back.
She should stick to what she knows.

I am a big supporter of women in racing, considering the beating I have taken in the Champ Car board for defending the trials and trevails of Kat Legge. That said, Milka's career has been lackluster at best. Even in sportscar racing, she had a co-driver that did more of the driving. No one put her in the car to put down the hot time in qualifying. Now she is racing in a car that is faster than anything she has been in before by far, racing on ovals, something that you cant be tentative about doing, and the results are miserable. The woman is DANGEROUS to herself and others. I would say the same if Frankie Muniz showed up and did the same level of performance. Buying a ride in a series that you are not ready for is NOT a good idea, and it has nothing to do with one's sex.

Milka wouldn't be there if not for the stupidity that the media has made out of Danicamania.

geek49203
10th August 2007, 22:27
I'm the guy who wrote that article on the front of AR1 right now.

Basically, the team is saying, "Why run IPS when we can run the real deal for training instead?"

I'm not saying that I agree with their strategy.

Obviously, you have a "driver in training" in a car where they don't have the resources or experience to set it up to be competitive. Not much good is gonna happen there.

And, I don't agree with their strategy of skipping the road courses -- I think that I even said that in the article.

To her credit, she doesn't get in the way of the other cars. At Michigan, when she was about to be lapped, she dove for the pits and let them pass while she refueled. She runs by herself on the track, and her wrecks have been solo affairs.

As for "a driver that wrecks every race", just as Thomas Scheckter about how many cars he tore up for Eddie before he got fired. We can point to 3-4 slow IRL drivers (all males) who have run much longer than Milka, but still don't have the hang of it. And, for your CART purists, how long did Dick Simon hang around?

And, she's got bigger balls than 99% of the men I've ever met -- she might be afraid, but she'll never let it show.

geek49203
10th August 2007, 22:28
Looks like she's withdrawing and going to Berlin to bee in the Speed Racer movie.
]

Yes.

I asked her team to suggest me for the role of Chim Chim (the monkey). If you've seen pics of me, you'll understand why that might work.

Mark in Oshawa
11th August 2007, 02:04
I'm the guy who wrote that article on the front of AR1 right now.

Basically, the team is saying, "Why run IPS when we can run the real deal for training instead?"

I'm not saying that I agree with their strategy.

Obviously, you have a "driver in training" in a car where they don't have the resources or experience to set it up to be competitive. Not much good is gonna happen there.

And, I don't agree with their strategy of skipping the road courses -- I think that I even said that in the article.

To her credit, she doesn't get in the way of the other cars. At Michigan, when she was about to be lapped, she dove for the pits and let them pass while she refueled. She runs by herself on the track, and her wrecks have been solo affairs.

As for "a driver that wrecks every race", just as Thomas Scheckter about how many cars he tore up for Eddie before he got fired. We can point to 3-4 slow IRL drivers (all males) who have run much longer than Milka, but still don't have the hang of it. And, for your CART purists, how long did Dick Simon hang around?

And, she's got bigger balls than 99% of the men I've ever met -- she might be afraid, but she'll never let it show.

To her credit she gets off the track? Like we like this as a spectator? A driver afraid of traffic? Boy, that is a reason to keep her in the series. It is like a boxer that wont throw a punch, nor take one.

Dick Simon was a good driver who hung on too long, but he at least had it at some point in his career and he wasn't 10 to 20 mph slower than the rest of the field on his worst day.

AS for Tomas Scheteker, he wrecked keeping up and racing with the other cars. He also learned to drive at this level before coming up. Milka didn't prove anything past some limited time in DP's in Grand AM. Milka does NOT have the talent to drive at this level. Full stop. She hasn't the talent, and if you have any respect for your series, you would not want her there. She isn't ready for the IRL. I doubt she could compete in the IPS. She is being pushed beyond her capability and someone in her camp should have the sense to say "No Milka, you are NOT ready for this". The fact she isn't running road races says volumes, because she in theory should be doing better there because THAT is the world she came from. I know why they didn't run the road courses, because it would be obvious to EVERYONE that she cannot drive these cars. Period.

Easy Drifter
11th August 2007, 20:37
There is no question Milka can drive.
There is no question Milka can drive a race car.
The only problem she cannot drive a race car very fast or safely and she sure as heck cannot race at the level she is trying to. :grenade:

champcar72
13th August 2007, 02:56
Keep thinking gays that Milka can't drive, but you will see... :D , when she at some point reaches the ultimate performance because of her persistence and begins to win race after race ... :p

dude are you being sarcastic???? i hope.......

beachbum
13th August 2007, 03:19
Just in case no one is paying attention, Milka is gone from the IRL. The so-called probation sounds more like they pulled her license. Regardless of her speed, lack of speed, or anything else, she just wasn't ready for that level of competition. I wouldn't expect her back. It is possible, but I suspect unlikely.

geek49203
13th August 2007, 05:45
Just in case no one is paying attention, Milka is gone from the IRL. The so-called probation sounds more like they pulled her license. Regardless of her speed, lack of speed, or anything else, she just wasn't ready for that level of competition. I wouldn't expect her back. It is possible, but I suspect unlikely.

I talked to her last week. I guess that makes me something of an expert?

She was gone to film a movie. Damn, doesn't anyone read my articles?

The plans are for her to be back for Sonoma and Chicago, as well as a complete 2008 IRL schedule. With the notable exception of her missing Kentucky, this is all per their original plans.

And, right now, EVERYONE in the IRL is on probation after the MIS race. EVERYONE. Not just Milka and the few others who were previously on probation.

Everyone involved will say that she wasn't... isn't... ready for the IRL. When faced with the choice of running Indy Pro Series with no sponsor, or having a big sponsor for an IRL ride, they decided to (essentially) do her "IPS year" in the IRL this year.

I love it how auto racing fans take two facts and make a story outta them.

LotusElise
13th August 2007, 09:34
Milka wouldn't be there if not for the stupidity that the media has made out of Danicamania.

Agreed. It isn't going to help her career or reputation any to be crashing and getting black-flagged every other race either.
I still think she is a decent enough sportscar racer - not lead driver material, but able to push her way through traffic well and a good team player - but is totally out of her depth in the IRL.

geek49203
13th August 2007, 15:52
Agreed. It isn't going to help her career or reputation any to be crashing and getting black-flagged every other race either.
I still think she is a decent enough sportscar racer - not lead driver material, but able to push her way through traffic well and a good team player - but is totally out of her depth in the IRL.

Danica would've been outta her depth is she went straight to the IRL or CART instead of doing the Toyota Atlantics thing. That's what Milka has done -- gone straight to the IRL instead of a "training" series. Of course she's outta her league.

In fact, most pundits were saying (when AJ wasn't around) that AJ IV wasn't ready for the IRL when grandpa put him into that seat. If Kentucky is any indication, IV is just now getting up to speed some 3-4 years later.

Therefore, if a driver doesn't have 3-4 years of Atlantics or IPS or F2 or something behind them, the initiation to the IRL is very harsh. Just think -- some say that driving these cars on ovals requires no skill...jeez.

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2007, 19:55
Danica would've been outta her depth is she went straight to the IRL or CART instead of doing the Toyota Atlantics thing. That's what Milka has done -- gone straight to the IRL instead of a "training" series. Of course she's outta her league.

In fact, most pundits were saying (when AJ wasn't around) that AJ IV wasn't ready for the IRL when grandpa put him into that seat. If Kentucky is any indication, IV is just now getting up to speed some 3-4 years later.

Therefore, if a driver doesn't have 3-4 years of Atlantics or IPS or F2 or something behind them, the initiation to the IRL is very harsh. Just think -- some say that driving these cars on ovals requires no skill...jeez.

I for one never said driving on ovals was easy, and I disagree with your notion that : "To her credit, she doesn't get in the way of the other cars. At Michigan, when she was about to be lapped, she dove for the pits and let them pass while she refueled. She runs by herself on the track, and her wrecks have been solo affairs."

It isn't to her credit at all. It makes her look out of her depth and the IRL should be parking Ms Duno. IF she cannot get a sponsor for IPS racing, she shouldn't be in the IRL because CITGO is willing to pay. Of course, life is never simple and you race where you can afford to, but something is seriously wrong if you believe CITGO wouldn't sponsor her wherever she races. They did in the DP's and they will if she went to the IPS. She can phone up ole Hugo and just explain the facts of life to him on how to not make herself and CITGO look bad, she needs to progress in a series where she can learn without looking bad. Right now, she is being exposed for the lack of talent she has.

Drifter is dead on the money. She can drive, and she can drive a race car, but she hasn't proven she can do it quickly or safely. She has NO business in the IRL. PERIOD.....if Paul Dana's ability was questioned after his death, you HAVE to be seriously concerned for Milka's reason for being in the IRL. The fact this charade will continue is just more proof that some people put marketing a woman over safety. Danica belongs...Sarah at least has proven something...Milka is just a threat to everyone around her.....