PDA

View Full Version : Free Dosh

Daniel
29th June 2007, 11:46
My kind of Friday today.....

Got into work and get a letter that tells me I've been given £X amount of free shares in the company. How good's that? Free money for just working somewhere :cheese:

GridGirl
29th June 2007, 11:51
Well its good for you, but are there any terms and conditions that are linked to the shares. Some companies wont allow you to sell them for say a minimum of 5 years. Yeah you have an increase in wealth, but you might not realise the gain for a long time.

Daniel
29th June 2007, 11:59
Yup they're locked in for 3 years. But unlike with a previous employer I don't have to stay employed with the company till then to keep them.

Better than not being given any shares at all ;)

Caroline
29th June 2007, 12:22
This is great news. :) Nice way to end the week!

GridGirl
29th June 2007, 14:07
Being locked in for three year isnt that bad. Is the company a PLC so you can track the value of your shares?

I got a letter yesterday saying my payrise for the year is £2000. I'm disappointed by that. Atleast some of us can be happy to get free dosh, I think I must just be ungreatful. I feel bad now Daniel, thanks. :p

Daniel
29th June 2007, 14:33
Being locked in for three year isnt that bad. Is the company a PLC so you can track the value of your shares?

I got a letter yesterday saying my payrise for the year is £2000. I'm disappointed by that. Atleast some of us can be happy to get free dosh, I think I must just be ungreatful. I feel bad now Daniel, thanks. :p
It is a PLC yes :)

I've just had a £1000 payrise last month and this share offer is worth more than your payrise so you're not ungrateful. Just underpaid :p Plus I should be getting a nice Christmas bonus so it should be a good financial year for me :D

schmenke
29th June 2007, 14:38
So you can now afford tickets to the Spice Girl show!
G'wan, treat the wench! :up: :D

Daniel
29th June 2007, 14:39
So you can now afford tickets to the Spice Girl show!
G'wan, treat the wench! :up: :D
Wrong. I can now afford tickets to the race of champions later this year ;)

schmenke
29th June 2007, 14:46
Ah, even better, although are you not concerned that perhaps Caoline will be disappointed? :p :

Where is the ROC being held this year?

GridGirl
29th June 2007, 15:53
Nah Daniel, I'm pretty sure I get paid alot more than you as I could afford and bought Race of Champions tickets last week. :p

Its at Wembley this year Schmenke. :)

Daniel
29th June 2007, 16:05
I don't suspect for a moment I'm more than you as I earn under the average wage :p I was merely saying you were underpaid (I'm sure you agree) :p :

Drew
29th June 2007, 21:59
It is a PLC yes :)

I've just had a £1000 payrise last month and this share offer is worth more than your payrise so you're not ungrateful. Just underpaid :p Plus I should be getting a nice Christmas bonus so it should be a good financial year for me :D

For somebody who seems to spend their entire work day on here, you're working your socks off, congratulations!

tintin
29th June 2007, 22:57
My kind of Friday today.....

Got into work and get a letter that tells me I've been given £X amount of free shares in the company. How good's that? Free money for just working somewhere :cheese:

It may seem good on the surface, but if you can't sell them for three years, then expect to be extra-poor for a bit...

...because next month they'll tax you on the value of those shares. :(

Daniel
30th June 2007, 08:24
It may seem good on the surface, but if you can't sell them for three years, then expect to be extra-poor for a bit...

...because next month they'll tax you on the value of those shares. :(

I don't think so :)

You don't pay any tax on shares given to you through an SIP. My understanding of tax law in this country says that if you keep the shares in the SIP then you don't pay any Capital Gains Tax.