PDA

View Full Version : Youtube cans BTCC vids.......

A Scotsman
28th June 2007, 20:50
Youtube has pulled spectator videos of last year's BTCC races from its site citing copyright by ITV Network Ltd....

A search of the BTCC site says nothing about copyright rules regarding amateur video and I can't find anything related to it anywhere else.

I find this very heavy handed.

BM
28th June 2007, 21:02
Look on your ticket. It will say that all photography, videos etc are allowed for private use only, and are copyright of the circuit, unless with written permission of the circuit (ie the media).

Brown, Jon Brow
28th June 2007, 21:56
I feel that 'copyright' is getting out of hand :rolleyes:

When you make your own video recording it's your video and your property, you should be able to do what you want with it. :mad:

BDunnell
28th June 2007, 21:58
This is a very grey area. A lot of public events make similar comments in their programme brochures, publicity, etc. In most cases, it isn't enforced — for example, at work we receive many freelance submissions from events where this rule 'applies', and there isn't a problem. In reality, this will become harder and harder to do anything about.

AlexD
28th June 2007, 22:39
Man, deleting videos people themselves made...what next, deleting home movies from these events because of makes of car that appear in the background?

thompp
28th June 2007, 23:18
The copyright of photography or video should always remain with the person who took it, but permission can be required if necessary.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th June 2007, 23:25
Look on your ticket. It will say that all photography, videos etc are allowed for private use only, and are copyright of the circuit, unless with written permission of the circuit (ie the media).

But the videos are blocked by copyright of ITV Network Ltd, not the circuit.

If anything, people sharing videos they made at the track will promote the venue.

Dave B
29th June 2007, 09:31
The revamped ITV.com will contain tons of archive footage. I'm not sure if this will extend to sports, but clearly ITV (and their advertisers) would rather you watched via their own site than on a third party like YouTube.

Sad, maybe, but perfectly understandable. Read the back of your tickets. :)

Gobber
29th June 2007, 09:56
There was something in F1 magazine about exactly the same issue with F1 Ltd (or whoever runs the sport) asking Youtube to take off F1 clips, although it didn't say this went as far as spectator videos.

Mark
29th June 2007, 14:58
Surely the spirit of what it says on the tickets is that you are not permitted to make money from footage taken at the track. But putting it on youtube is just the same as sharing it with your friends, IMO

Dave B
29th June 2007, 16:09
True, but if your YouTube vids draw audiences away from btcc.net or itv.com they might lose advertising revenue.