PDA

View Full Version : Big announcement next week?

milly
27th June 2007, 12:56
Has anybody else heard rumours of a big WRC sponsorship announcement to be held next week in Abu Dhabi?

Tomski
27th June 2007, 13:58
Ask Dave Richards.............

AndyRAC
27th June 2007, 14:13
Find that hard to believe, who'd want to sponsor a championship with diminishing returns. Hardly likely to be a 'Blue Chip' company.

Peugeot206WRC
27th June 2007, 16:58
Probably Land Rover, wich will end up in only right steering Land Rovers on the stages next year.

Hope its not a company who will get monopoly on something that could decide something like that, but it seems everything in exchange for money is accepted.
Hope its only a company who only pump more money into the business and just wants a tiny sticker on the windscreen :D

bt52b
27th June 2007, 18:19
The championship will not have a title sponsor, unless the FIA do one of the biggest u-turns in history.

Roy
27th June 2007, 18:36
Has anybody else heard rumours of a big WRC sponsorship announcement to be held next week in Abu Dhabi?

You mean a new team with a sponsor from that region. I think so...

306 Cosworth
27th June 2007, 22:05
Probably a team, I hardly think there will be a new title sponsor for the WRC half way through the season.

milly
28th June 2007, 09:21
I heard a team deal as well as funding into WRC itself.

wrc_flipper
29th June 2007, 17:10
Somthing happening on Monday morning on WRC.COM

Brand new WRC launch - watch live!

WRC.com will exclusively bring you a brand new WRC launch live on Monday 2nd July. Full details will be announced on the day. Watch free from 0700hrs GMT!

Simon Speichert
29th June 2007, 19:16
Maybe the launch is a website that doesn't cost money to read.

TMorel
29th June 2007, 19:23
Maybe they've caught that damn bear?

DonJippo
29th June 2007, 20:44
Anything to do with this entry to NORF...?

Khalid Al Qassimi Nicky Beech UAE GB BP Ford World Rally Team Ford Focus RS WRC 06

jonas_mcrae
29th June 2007, 21:14
maybe is like formal presentation of suzuki?

Motorsportfun
30th June 2007, 01:18
For reply to DonJippo, I think that Al Qassimi is involved in that event. However, he was not far to build an M2 Team with the money of "Fly Emirates", but Mitsubishi from Japan said NO... :s mokin:

alleskids
30th June 2007, 09:05
Maybe they've caught that damn bear?

Ladies and gentlemen.......we got HIM ! :rotflmao:

Mihai
30th June 2007, 11:19
Ladies and gentlemen.......we got HIM ! :rotflmao:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1200/sadam1wg2.gif

milly
30th June 2007, 14:26
Looks like Malcolm just got the money for Junior's next rally programme.....

Motorsportfun
30th June 2007, 18:29
According to the lastest rumors, the launch will be probably for the return of Mitsubishi!!

jparker
30th June 2007, 18:49
According to the lastest rumors, the launch will be probably for the return of Mitsubishi!!

There we go, Toni Gardermister + Aava or Hanninen or Sholberg.
Great news if true.
I wouldn't mind seeing this car in action :D

http://www.motorauthority.com//gallery/mitsubishi/lancer/evo/14-prototype-x-action.jpg

jonas_mcrae
30th June 2007, 23:07
Me neither, bring on the lancer!!

grugsticles
1st July 2007, 05:28
Mitsu, oh if we could be so lucky!

I thought Mitsu couldn't afford to run a motorsport program as world wide, they simply dont have the money.
But it would be great if that were infact true, even better if Garde and Gigi were also included :D

But surely, WRC.com would not say thats something is going to be announced on Monday and it only be inclusion of another team. To me that would be a bit of a let down. I think that the 'secret' is closer related to the championship or FIA itself.

pino
1st July 2007, 06:51
Mitsu back ? I believe that only when i see it with my eyes, and I won't trust them ;) Yes i am still mad at them :p :

Sulland
1st July 2007, 09:07
It could be Suzuki's official entry into the WRC class ?

Lalo
1st July 2007, 09:08
I'm prety sure it's the announcement of Suziki's lineup for the two rounds the team will run this year.

Despite that, bring back Mitsu! (both news rock!)

consti
1st July 2007, 10:53
Specs for german readers although here: http://www.1asport.de/sport/Motorsport/Kehrt_Mitsubishi_in_die_Rallye_WM_zurueck__pn_4719 1N.html and there: http://motorsport-blog.eu/

maybe it's really mitsubishi but i can't really believe it now....

milly
1st July 2007, 12:12
It's not Mitsu.

It's Al Qassami in a Ford WRC as part of the works team, sponsored by Abu Dhabi state, which is also going to put money into WRC series.

jparker
1st July 2007, 18:29
It's not Mitsu.

It's Al Qassami in a Ford WRC as part of the works team, sponsored by Abu Dhabi state, which is also going to put money into WRC series.

Well, we already know that (Al Qassami is in the NORF entry list), so no big news here.

milly
2nd July 2007, 09:07
Well, we already know that (Al Qassami is in the NORF entry list), so no big news here.

Read the last part of the sentence - money into the WRC series - that's the important bit.

GigiGalliNo1
2nd July 2007, 09:14
Abu Dhabi World Rally Championships :p

wrc_flipper
2nd July 2007, 09:15
BP-Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team - yet another Ford Focus.
Rename the series FRC (Ford Rally Championships). Think ford will need a bigger service park!!

GigiGalliNo1
2nd July 2007, 09:24
BP-Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team - yet another Ford Focus.

So Al Q. is driving with Mikko and Marcus?

Or his own team/car? teammate who? :s

Simmi
2nd July 2007, 09:52
I still stand by my decision not to wake up so early to watch the feed but I'd love to know a few actual details now. Hopefully wrc.com will put something up soon. It wouldn't have been a stretch to have an article read to run seen as they knew about this a long time ago...but this is wrc.com

GigiGalliNo1
2nd July 2007, 09:54
Shell in Michelin out!?

Motorsportfun
2nd July 2007, 10:07
What a livery! Ahead is equal to last year's McLaren F1 car! :D

Simmi
2nd July 2007, 11:15
Anyone have any links to pictures? Wrc.com is just excelling itself this morning it bigs up a story for days and days before the news officially breaks and then they dont even follow it up with a story and removes any trace of it from its website.

User
2nd July 2007, 11:37
More info here:

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~4~id~150554.htm

The car looks ugly...

Daniel
2nd July 2007, 11:45
Shell in Michelin out!?
Michelin haven't been in the WRC this whole year.....

Daniel
2nd July 2007, 11:51
I get the feeling if not for this deal Ford were out of the WRC soon.

Simmi
2nd July 2007, 11:58
It's seems a bit strange but similar deals have been struck with the likes of Ferrari and top GP2 team ART. This is where the money is and they seem to want to spend it on motorsport so fair play to them I suppose.

Motorsportfun
2nd July 2007, 11:59
http://www.racingworld.it/rally/notizia2.php?idtitolo=4290 I uploaded a nice picture here in my news.

The car is very nice to see

White Sauron
2nd July 2007, 12:06
Notice what they write: till 2011! it means Ford prolong their participation in WRC also! Because 2005 was their 1st year... 2006 - 2nd. 2007 - 3rd and 2008 should be their 4th year of confirmed participation. great!

Josti
2nd July 2007, 12:08

They've been in JWRC. Now they're out, Pirelli in.

jonkka
2nd July 2007, 14:40

BFG has.

Daniel
2nd July 2007, 15:09
BFG has.
I know that ;)

HaCo
2nd July 2007, 16:15
So, no more proky in Ford kitchen? :D

GigiGalliNo1
2nd July 2007, 16:23
"Khalid AlQassimi, with British co-driver Nicky Beech, will contest Neste Oil Rally Finland in August in the new livery, alongside Ford stars Marcus Gronholm and Mikko Hirvonen.?"

even WRC.com are questioning it hahahahha

White Sauron
2nd July 2007, 16:49
I wonder if Qassimi gets the newest version of the Focus too... Hope not. He doesn't desrve the place in a championship-winning team at the moment when such drivers as Galli, Gardi and Duval are looking for a decent drive...

Roy
2nd July 2007, 18:21
I wonder if Qassimi gets the newest version of the Focus too... Hope not. He doesn't desrve the place in a championship-winning team at the moment when such drivers as Galli, Gardi and Duval are looking for a decent drive...

He drives with Focus WRC 06. And don't say he isn't deserve it.... Ford say thank you for the money, and the other drivers has no money. Simple.
And don't forget he is the third driver. He is good enough do give us a third car, and spectucalar things. That is enough.

HaCo
2nd July 2007, 18:53
So, Ford have money to build an S2000 now? GREAT! :D :D :D

milly
2nd July 2007, 19:14
So, Ford have money to build an S2000 now? GREAT! :D :D :D

If they've committed until 2011 then they'll have to build an S2000-based car because that's what we'll have in WRC.

Kamikaze
2nd July 2007, 19:48
Those Chrome-Parts on the Livery looks very good !!

ste898
2nd July 2007, 20:05
Oh dear oh dear what on earth has happened to my team......I am horrified at this the car looks god aweful and it will be run with people in dresses!!!!!!!!!

DonJippo
2nd July 2007, 20:17
If they've committed until 2011 then they'll have to build an S2000-based car because that's what we'll have in WRC.

No they don't have to build S2000...

From 2012, it was agreed in principle that world rally cars will be four-wheel drive and turbo-charged, based on mass-produced Group N and S2000 specification cars. Cost reducing measures will also be introduced.

White Sauron
2nd July 2007, 21:00
Oh dear oh dear what on earth has happened to my team......I am horrified at this the car looks god aweful and it will be run with people in dresses!!!!!!!!!

be careful! There might be scottish people in the forum ;)

But actually I do agree with you. This morning I was frightened a bit. Not with a look of the car (it's not the main factor in rallying), but with the fact itself, that a european team is sponsored by arabs... Oh no, I'm not being nazy, just... There must be some kind of honor... I can't believe there no big corporations in the UK, interested in investing into rallying((

Mihai
2nd July 2007, 21:15
We are in 2007 and people still find difficult to accept that an arab company is sponsoring a major European-based team in international motorsports. I wonder how outrageous it was in 1980, when the Williams F1 team was sponsored by the Saudi national airline company (Saudia). The Abu Dhabi livery looks strange on the Focus WRC, but I could get used to it very soon. At least they have something quite unique.

White Sauron
2nd July 2007, 21:22
We are in 2007 and people still find difficult to accept that an arab company is sponsoring a major European-based team in international motorsports. I wonder how outrageous it was in 1980, when the Williams F1 team was sponsored by the Saudi national airline company (Saudia). The Abu Dhabi livery looks strange on the Focus WRC, but I could get used to it very soon. At least they have something quite unique.

Not the fact an arab company sponsoring an english team is strange, but the fact IT'S NOT an ENGLISH company playing this role. For me it's strange...

PS: don't take BP into account - they're sponsors already.

Josti
2nd July 2007, 21:28

Yeah, well we now have to get used to it in rallying. It's quite true what White Sauron says, it's strange that no big UK or European company is interested. Then again, the Arabians can probably put more money into it I guess. But for dignity's sake, indeed a UK/European company would have been better.

Anyway, great to see Ford hanging on to at least 2011 :up: Thank you Abu Dhabi!

AndyRAC
2nd July 2007, 21:57
If it's not F1 or Football, a UK company aren't going to be interested. What would they get out of it, coverage on ITV4, no coverage in papers or on radio, 'No thanks, we'll keep our money'

Josti
2nd July 2007, 22:12
If it's not F1 or Football, a UK company aren't going to be interested. What would they get out of it, coverage on ITV4, no coverage in papers or on radio, 'No thanks, we'll keep our money'

That's so weird about it, who doesn't love Rallying and puts money into it :p :

Mihai
3rd July 2007, 07:49
The person who sells advertising space on the cars' bodywork normaly thinks 'Give anyone what they want if the price is fair'. World rally fans will learn the ABC of globalization in the next few years. :)

doodle
3rd July 2007, 09:48
You can watch a Re-run of the presentation on wrc.com and is that colin from WRR in a very fetching beige Jacket doing the presentation ;-)

http://www.wrc.com/page/BehindtheScenesDetail/0,,10111~1065947,00.html

J4MIE
3rd July 2007, 10:40
Is it just me? But I fail to see how it is "a landmark in the history of the WRC" :confused:

They have a new sponsor putting money in, and it happens to be for tourism (?) in Abu Dhabi.

Can't really see what everyone was getting so excited about, however it is good that we'll see an extra car - but the guy will have to remember that there is a huge gulf (excuse the pun) between the middle east championship and the WRC.

Back to the summer holiday.............

grugsticles
3rd July 2007, 11:00
Your not the only one who is left in the dark wondering why its such a ' huge thing'.

Daniel
3rd July 2007, 11:04
Your not the only one who is left in the dark wondering why its such a ' huge thing'.
Well as I said if not for this deal Ford wouldn't be in the WRC I suspect.

Brother John
3rd July 2007, 11:36
Well as I said if not for this deal Ford wouldn't be in the WRC I suspect.

:up: exact, Daniel.
They can put on the car wat they want I.M.O. The point is that they be in WRC.

Motorsportfun
3rd July 2007, 12:17
It's official: the sponsorship costs to Abu Dhabi 30 mln euros!!!

teufel
3rd July 2007, 12:27
30 millions? great price for a third car ;)

milly
3rd July 2007, 13:22
It's official: the sponsorship costs to Abu Dhabi 30 mln euros!!!

Do you have the official source of this?

Roy
3rd July 2007, 14:28

'Huge thing' is a new sponsor deal and a lot of money. How much? 30 mln is very much, but can also. Abu Dhabi is big on the car, I don't see BP anymore. ;)

I do say now: It is a nice outfit! I like it!

alleskids
3rd July 2007, 16:07
BP's ULTIMATE is still huge on the cars front.just like Castrol.

Motorsportfun
3rd July 2007, 20:30
Do you have the official source of this?

Yes, and it was confirmed by an italian weekly too

grugsticles
3rd July 2007, 20:43
OK, so 30 Million is a crap load of money, but why does somone who buys their way into a drive (be it as it may for a mega sum of money) get advertised as being a significant moment in WRC history?

Am I missing something?

Roy
3rd July 2007, 22:47
BP's ULTIMATE is still huge on the cars front.just like Castrol.
If you replay on me watch the last sign in my text = ;)
A little joke...

curry
4th July 2007, 00:33
Geez Marcus looks happy to be there doesn't he!!

WRXedUSA
4th July 2007, 01:13
The person who sells advertising space on the cars' bodywork normaly thinks 'Give anyone what they want if the price is fair'. World rally fans will learn the ABC of globalization in the next few years. :)

Indeed.

Given the wild popularity of WRC worldwide, it's kind of funny that it is both in opposition mainstream ideals towards globalization as it is the finest embodiment of it.

alleskids
4th July 2007, 16:02
So Mitsubishi said no to this same 30 millions euro deal when the Arab group were looking for Lancer WRCars ?

Simmi
4th July 2007, 16:41
So Mitsubishi said no to this same 30 millions euro deal when the Arab group were looking for Lancer WRCars ?

I can't imagine it was the same deal this is surely involvement on a much bigger scale then running a small privateer team.

SubaruNorway
4th July 2007, 16:42

So did Subaru if im not wrong he was supposed to drive Rally Norway in a Impreza.

alleskids
4th July 2007, 17:55
Prodrive had 3 Impreza WRCars ready in Norway for Al Qassimi and his team, but Khalid never showed up. It has indeed been a confusion first half year from the Middle East driver.

bt52b
4th July 2007, 18:30
Geez Marcus looks happy to be there doesn't he!!

Bosse is only happy if he is flat out :burnout:

Brázda
4th July 2007, 20:03
i found some hires gallery from this event
http://www.rajdy.v10.pl/Ford,Abu,Dhabi,zdjecia,z,prezentacji,2255.html
Zdravim

jso1985
4th July 2007, 20:47
not the biggest event in WRC history to me, but good to see at least one manufacturer has secured his place in WRC for a few years, :up: even if some forum racists don't like it :rolleyes:

alleskids
4th July 2007, 22:11
Maybe a good idea for the Ku Klux Klan to sponsor al those shiny, virginly white cars from Gardemeister, Carlsson, Galli, Duval etc etc :laugh: :bounce: